PDA

View Full Version : Recipes?????????

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Anybody Know of Good dog Treat Recipes??? They don't have to be easy to make..........also, treat ideas....like greenies...but, those are the only ones i know of. ideas? :( :( :confused:

wolfsoul
12-05-2003, 03:13 PM
I have lots of treat recipes at home, but I'm at school right now. I'll post them later. :)

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-05-2003, 03:15 PM
thanks wolfsoul, don't you get in trouble for being on the coumputer at school? :eek:

wolfsoul
12-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Nope, it's lunch time right now. :p But I do get to stay on the computer all day in entrepreneurship. :D

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
cool, lucky you :p ;)

CamCamPup33
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Here's Some!

Click here! (http://www.thepoop.com/pooppantry/default.asp)

I also post them weekly on my website..

bardolino
12-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Here is one we did for our pup Merlin

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Cups all-purpous flour
1 1/2 cups corn meal
3/4 cup uncooked regular oats
1/3 cup instant non fat dry milk powder
1 table spoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 300 F

Combine the first 7 ingredients; make a well in the center of the ingredients.

Whisk together broth, oil, and 1 egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring until a soft dough forms. (from experience its a pretty tough dough to knead)

Roll dough to 1/2 inch thichness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with any cookie cutter you like depending on dog size, and place on ungreased baking sheets.

Whisk together remainding egg and worcestershire sauce, brush on cookies.

Position oven racks to divide oven into thirds. Bake at 300 F for 2 hours, placing a baking sheet on each rack. Turn oven off, and let cookies stay in oven with door closed for 2 more hours.

This will make a bunch of small cookies.

Enjoy

Byakko's Mom
12-05-2003, 11:36 PM
I put a great training treat one under "please help me"(your thread) for tuna brownies and I just did a really short, quick, tasty, cake.I am trying to get to my recipees for you but I have been so busy I have only posted the easy ones I have memorized.Sorry.
laurie

RubyMutt
12-06-2003, 01:29 AM
I have a dog treat recipe book (Dog Biscuit Recipes - Mary MacPherson). My friend (veegan on PT) was asking me for some of the recipes the other day, instead of typing them all out I just scanned them out of the book. So here they are:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p614567e92dc0990cd0c5203424df9044/fa5f3573.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pc7250f8115dd90548e566c1b6bab4c05/fa5f3572.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p126fefd5ca922520df94e0ccddfd464a/fa5f356e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pcae1a14dbc3d9d8abb51d72952003ed0/fa5f3569.jpg

I have quite a few more, so let me know if you still need them :)

Also, if you want good store bought treat ideas try going HERE (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?Ne=40000&N=2001+62743)

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks everybody! I will DEFINETLY TRY MOST OF THESE!!!!!! THANKS A MILLION!

Heres the Daisy Girl.........

Oh boy! Tanks for all ta treats guys! I can't wait for my mommy ta make tem! I wonder wat i'll get for my birday? anybody herd yet? tanks again!
Daisy

slick
12-06-2003, 10:46 AM
RubyMutt: I have that same book because I make doggie treats to sell for the Humane Society.

The Over the Rainbow Treats and the Cheese ones are the most popular and the dogs "snap" them up.

I have another recipe for beef liver treats. The method looks pretty harsh and the smell almost turned me into a vegetarian, but the dogs just can't get enough of them.

Beef Liver Treats

1 1/2 lbs beef liver
3 cups water
2 1/4 cups toasted wheat germ
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

Put liver and water into a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 mins until all pink is gone. Strain, reserving the liquid, and dice liver into small pieces and put in the food processor. Whirl, adding the reserved liquid until it is smooth and pureed. (Hungry yet???:eek: :eek: )

If untoasted, put wheat germ into a dry pot over high heat and stir constantly until lighty browned, then put it into a large bowl.
Add the disgusting looking pureed liver and about 2 cups flour. Stir until well moistened.

Now comes the fun stuff. Add a bit more flour and get both hands in the bowl and mix it until it resembles bread dough, adding more flour if needed.

Turn out on to a floured board and knead for about 5 min. Roll out to 1/2 inch and cut out with your choice of cutters. Place on lightly greased pan (I use Pam for this) and bake at 350 for about 10 min. Then turn them over and bake for another 10 min. If they don't seem cooked enough, then turn the oven off and leave in there for a couple of hours.

Good luck.

wolfsoul
12-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Here are a few I have:

Pumpkin squares

6 cups oats

2 cups whole wheat flour

egg replacer equivalent to 4 eggs (or four eggs)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup molasses

1 cup rice milk

1 can pumpkin

1.Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.

2.Pat into a greased jelly-roll pan and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour.

3.Cut into squares

1 lb salmon

1/4 C Olive Oil

1/4 C Water

1/4 C uncooked rice (can be ommitted if using at least 2T rice flour)

3 Eggs (including the shells)

1/4 C Dried leafy green vegetable (Kale, spinach, etc)

1 t Honey, Molasses, or Brown Sugar

1/4 C Grated carrot (not shredded)

1/4 C Rolled Oats OR Wheat Germ

1 T Brewer's Yeast

2-4 C Flour

1 T Olive Oil (to grease cookie sheet)

NOTE: Rice flour is best, as it is easier to digest, soy flour has more protein, all-purpose flour is not as healthy, but will do.

Using two knives, cut salmon (as you would cut fat into flour) until it is finely chopped.

Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium.

Add Brewers yeast and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add salmon to skillet, and cook well, crumbling it as you would ground beef.

When fully cooked, add 1/4 C water, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat. Add rice, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, and pour mixture into large mixing bowl.

Beat on low with electric mixer until mixture is well mixed and ground together.

Add eggs to mixture, placing shells and kale in a separate bowl.

Grind shells & greens as fine as possible (powdered), add to mixture, and beat well.

Add carrot, wheat germ, yeast, and 1/2 Cup Flour. Beat thoroughly.

Add enough flour to make a stiff dough. Shape into bite-size pieces.

Bake at 350 for 20-45 minutes, depending on size of pieces.

Turn oven down to 200 and bake another hour. Cool.

Store in air-tight container
Baby food bicuits

3 jars baby food -- (2 1/2 oz. each), 1/4 cup Dry milk, powder 1/4 cup Wheat germ, (cream of wheat can be substituted for wheat germ), Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well. Roll into small balls and place on well-greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake in preheated 350F. oven for 15 minutes until brown. Cool on wire racks and STORE IN REFRIGERATOR. Also freezes well. *Variation: substitute cream of wheat for wheat germ and then used tablespoon to make cookie sized drops on plate. Microwave for 4 minutes on Medium-High. Suggest keeping an eye on them in microwave and perhaps start out for only 3 1/2 minutes. They do come out soft. Tester's note: Definitely something to howl about! Cookies are soft and chewy (good for older pets who have lost a few teeth). And they can be whipped up in no time. [/color]

Champion Cheese & Veggies Chews

1/2 cup grated cheese, room temperature
3 tbsp. veg. oil
3 tsp. applesauce
1/2 cup cooked veggies
1 cup whole wheat flour
non-fat milk

Mix cheese, oil and applesauce together. Add veggies, and flour. Combine thoroughly. Add just enough milk to help form a ball. Cover and chill for one hour. Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
Yield: 12 - 15 chews

[color=crimson]

wolfsoul
12-06-2003, 06:22 PM
More...

Broth cookies

Firstly take 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour Then you'll need 3 cups rolled oats 1/2 cup spring water A dab of olive oil two eggs and finally 1 1/2 cups broth. Now that you have all your ingredients, you combine them all together and cut into shapes before placing them in a 325 F oven to bake for 50 minutes. Your best friend is going to love 'em ! You can make various flavours by changing the broth you use.

VEGGIE VITTLES

1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup cooked vegetables*, mashed or grated small
1 cup cooked rice
3/4 cup grated cheese
1 tbsp. brewers yeast
*Any desired veggies can be used, such as zucchini, peas, carrots,
potatos, etc...

Mix all ingredients well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm. Cool. Store in the fridge, or freeze.

Banana Biscuits

5 cups brown Flour
1/4 cup Peanuts -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 medium Egg
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups pureed Banana
2 teaspoons Vanilla
Water
Preheat oven to 325F/160C. Mix dry, then wet ingredients until lumpy. Add water, one teaspoon at a time as needed. Knead by hand on table until mixed thoroughly. Form into logs approximately 2" - 2 1/2" high. Flatten so that log is 6" - 7" wide by 1" high. Place on non-stick baking sheets. Bake approximately 30 - 40 minutes. Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/2" - 3/4" slices. Place on baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

Tuna bicuits

1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 can tuna -- undrained
1/3 cup water
Grind oatmeal in processor til a coarse flour, put in a bowl. to processor add tuna with the oil, and water , process til pureed, add all the rest of ingredient. Pulse til mixture forms a ball, Pulse to knead for 2-3 minutes. Turn out to floured board , knead if needed to soft dough. Roll out to a 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet , at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.

TAILWAGGERS
Ingredients:
2 1/2 C Flour (I use Whole Wheat
1 C. Powdered Dry Milk
1/4 C. plus 1 Tbl. Shortening or Bacon Fat
1 Egg
1 tsp. Brown Sugar
Bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 C. Hot Water)ater
1/2 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 C. Bacon Bits
Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets Mix flour, dry milk, salt & shortening until mixture resembles corn meal. Beat egg and brown sugar together and add to dry mixture. Add cooled broth and the cheese and bacon (orcc other special scraps) and mix well. Knead until smooth andcc pliable, adding flour if needed. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick andcc cut with cookie cutter. Bake 25-30 minutes until well browned, almost burned. To really make them crunchy, after they're baked, tturn off the oven and leave them in there

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Sheez thanks everyone! I don't know what to do with myself! ;)

Byakko's Mom
12-07-2003, 02:11 AM
I tried the baby food buscuits and the dogs helped make them.They licked everything as I was finished with it and of course tasted at the end.I should say 2 helped make Mojo and Dakota.I gave Byakko a dentabone to keep her busy because she was in her crate(she is food aggresive a bit especially with really yummy treats) and only twenty pounds maybe if lucky to their 60 lbs and 85 lbs.She still cried to help so I had to let her play outside in the snow-tied out -fenced yard-and Byakko got first treats.Martini was upstairs asleep and never made a peep.The door may have been shut so she may not have smelled it but I can't imagine.Anyway everyone loved them.They didn't screach as much as the tuna brownies but they never left my side and certainly weren't going to bed without one.They are still looking for crumbs but settleing down for bed now.All in all a wonderful snowy day treat.I will definetly be making them again and boy were they simple and quick and loved.I made them both ways in the oven and microwave.I couldn't really roll them though they didn't make a dough (to moist).I wondered should I drain the baby food or use some flour or more of something?I used ham in the oven and chicken babyfood in the microwave.Microwave seemed a little rubbery to me.Did I cook them to long or not enough?I did 3 1/2 mins but then took a couple mins to get off plate of course both came out at the same time.Thanks for the recipe,the furbabies send licks and thanks too.
Laurie:)

wolfsoul
12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I pmed you back, Byakko's Mom. :) I've never actually the baby food one yet, but I would suggest using more flour. That's what I do in a similar recipe that I use. It makes the dough more stiff. If you want them hard, try leaving them out overnight. :)

Byakko's Mom
12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
I thought flour would work but the recipe didn't have flour so I wasn't sure if I should add it.I could add more wheat germ or the cream of wheat or the dry milk.Those were the only dry ingredients or like you said just add some flour.I didn't want them hard but the micro.seemed rubbery not soft like you said.I thought I may have overcooked them.I willl play with it.I am sending some to a couple friends.They all think I am crazy.I send their dogs baked goods but never people,last time it was my friends birthday and I baked for the dogs and took her out.What can I say.I will cook for the dogs.I tell the kids they have hands,but they are not babies either.
Laurie