PDA

View Full Version : A job interview today and a moral issue

Kirsten
12-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Some of you might know I have lost my job earlier this year, and I'm unemployed since. The economic situation in Germany is very very bad at the moment and there are only a few vacant jobs available. I'm looking for an office job btw.

Some weeks ago, the unemployment office told me to apply for a job in the new Multiple Sclerosis Research Center in a nearby town, and I was invited for a job interview today.

The job itself sounds okay, even though it sounds like a lot of responsibility, since I would also have to manage the financial things. I would have to work with scientists from all over the world and would have to speak English most of the time, and also type scripts in English, it sounds like a real challenge.

BUT - they will do tests on animals for their research, with mice and rats! They asked me if that would be a problem for me. I told them I'm a veggie and that I find these tests cruel, and they agreed they are, but that there's no other way at the moment. I admitted that I can see a difference between tests done for medical research and those done for things like new cosmetics (since we really don't need any more new shampoos or lipsticks IMO). I don't have enough knowledge to say if there are other ways in medical research, too, and - of course - if I or someone close to me would have a severe disease such as cancer or ms, I would gladly accept a new medicine that can help to cure the illness.... It's such a difficult decision!

I really don't know what to do if they will offer that job to me. I would feel like a hypocrite and as if I had sold my soul. On the other hand, I desperately need a job, and if I would reject a job offered to me, the unemployment office would stop paying my unemployment money, so I wouldn't have any other choice anyway. Kind of tough, isn't it?

Kirsten

2kitties
12-05-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm going to go on a limb here, Kirsten, and say you should take the job. Maybe you won't keep it very long, but right now you have to think rationally. In tough economic times, we have to make sacrifices we may not have to make during better times. if there were a lot of jobs out there, you'd be able to pass. But right now you have to worry about feeding yourself and your family and pets.

It may not be the idea situation, but the end result, as you said, does help people. So, maybe that thought can help you until you find something else.

neko1
12-05-2003, 03:00 PM
I agree with 2kitties

andrea_NMAggie
12-05-2003, 03:06 PM
I agree with 2kitties. This research isn't frivolous, its for the better good. How do you feel about taking this job? Will you be faced with seeing these tests being done on animals, and therefore being upset every day? I think that is the most important thing to think about.

2kitties
12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
The truth is that I'm still on the animal testing fence in general. I am almost always against it. And I am invariably against cruelty. I def don't think an animal should have to suffer so I can have a papaya scented shampoo. But I do understand that some of our most valuable medical breakthroughs we owe to a little white mouse. Those little mice save the lives of millions.

I'm no scientist, so I don't have the answer for either side.

andrea_NMAggie
12-05-2003, 03:14 PM
2kitties, i'm finding that the more posts i read from you, that we think alike

micki76
12-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
The truth is that I'm still on the animal testing fence in general. I am almost always against it. And I am invariably against cruelty. I def don't think an animal should have to suffer so I can have a papaya scented shampoo. But I do understand that some of our most valuable medical breakthroughs we owe to a little white mouse. Those little mice save the lives of millions.

Amen, 2K.

I personally would gladly take the job and be happy. But you only should if it won’t bother you. I don’t think it would bother me so much, knowing that my contribution and the mice’s contributions will help mankind, and not just make a foundation that covers my zits better. That, I couldn’t do.

Good luck! :)

2kitties
12-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by andrea_NMAggie

That's really sweet of you, but stick around.... I'm bound to p*ss you off about something. It's a talent;)

lynnestankard
12-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Difficult situation Kirsten - but taking into account that you need the money so badly - how about accepting the job if/when it's offered and then looking round for another position? I know it's a mean thing to do - but-------needs and devils spring to mind.
It's quite a quandry to be in.
BTW - I don't think you'll have any problems writing the reports in English - yours is superb.
Good Luck with the difficult decision.

Lynne

Cataholic
12-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by andrea_NMAggie

What? I thought I was 2Kitties soul mate?

Kirsten,
I think you should accept the job, if offered. Times are too tough for you right now.

2kitties
12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
What? I thought I was 2Kitties soul mate?

Don't worry Cat. I'm a whole lotta woman. Plenty of me to go around:)

Kirsten
12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

I also agree with 2kitties and all the others who are against animal testing in general. I think how can we humans be so arrogant to put us above all other beings and use (and abuse) them for our needs in such a cruel way? On the other hand, when I'm sick, I'm going to the pharmacy to get some pills... I can see my own inconsequence here! :o

I think it's a good idea - if that job will be offered to me - to accept it but then look for another one.

@andrea_NMAggie: I think I won't have to see them all the time, but I would have to order them when they need new ones and also would have to write the lab reports.

@Lynne: Thanks! :) Yes, I hope it will be good enough! In a previous job, I was translating scripts about environmental legal sources (boring stuff btw), and I don't think it was too bad - but I had a good dictionary. :)

Kirsten

andrea_NMAggie
12-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Oh yes, and by the way, you have great command of the English language! (no need for you to worry about that!)

Kirsten
12-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks! :)

Kirsten

PayItForward
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
As I agree with what has already been written, i will just say....

Congratulations on being offered the job and take it :D

Kirsten
12-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Congratulations on being offered the job and take it

Oh, it hasn't been offered to me yet, it was only the interview today. They have also invited two other persons, and they promised to let me hear about their decision next week. I'm sorry if my previous post was confusing.

Kirsten

ChrisH
12-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Kirsten,
I think you should accept the job, if offered. Times are too tough for you right now.
I agree.

Edwina's Secretary
12-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Kirsten,

I have a close relative who is involved in reseach. He is an animal lover, but as a scientist, understands the realities of research. His career is devoted to improving the lives of the research animals. Do not suppose that those who are involved in research involving animals are immune to the sacrifices of those animals. They hate suffering or they would not be involved in research. So they are in a way bifercated....devoted to easing suffering of both animals and humans!

Sara

popcornbird
12-05-2003, 11:26 PM

I totally agree with you. Although I find most animal testings cruel and unnecessary, sometimes, you just have to. Many of those animals have saved millions of lives, that couldn't have been saved otherwise.

smokey the elder
12-06-2003, 08:39 AM
I'll stick my oar in.:) I also work for a pharmaceutical company. While it would be ideal to be able to use 100% human cell lines (and would have a better success rate making meds, BTW!) we ain't there yet folks.

The people that work with the animals have a very respectful attitude, from what I've seen. Efforts are made to minimize cruelty. In fact when I took GLP training the trainer asked, "What do you think we do if an animal is obviously in pain or distress?" I answered, correctly, that they put it to sleep.

MS is a devastating disease for humans, and it is a worthy project to be working on.

Sorry this was so long winded! Good luck.

Cincy'sMom
12-06-2003, 09:10 AM
I too, think you should take the job. I do not agree with animal testing for cosemetics and such, but for medical purposes there often is not another way.

I also have recently been faced with this dilemna. I have a job that love the people I work with, but not usch much those I work for. It is a small company, owned by 3 men, all 63 and up, and there is no oppertunity atall for advancement (I'ma chemist). A former co-worker called and said the company she now works for (also a pharmaceutical company) is hiring and they wouldlike me to submit a resume. I know they do animal tesing, but she assured me their department does not do it...but it would still be in the same building. I decide to go ahead and submitt, becuase the company pays better, has better benefits, and advnacement oppertunites... as of now I have heard nothing fromthem, and if I don't fine. If I do, maybe I could use this as leverage to get a better raise where I'm at now. Only time will tell....

Good luck Kristen!!!

Barbara
12-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Kirsten I think I agree with everybody. I can't accept animal testing for cosmetics but in a research centre for a cruel disease like MS it's a little different.

Your intelligence and excellent command of English will help you in your job. And anyway: I have the impression that in a year or 2 it would be possible to change to another job -this one sounds like a good reference.

I wish you good luck:)

carole
12-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Kirsten I can only say as the others if you get offered the job TAKE IT, I understand exactly how you feel, I have a very horrible hereditary disease in my family called " Huntingtons Chorea " its a devasting disease, one of the bad ones, so for me its also a very tricky situation, being an animal lover, I don't want to see any animal suffer, but I do want a cure for this awful disease.

IttyBittyKitty
12-07-2003, 07:21 PM

Well said. I definitely agree with this sentiment - animal testing is awful, something we don't even want to think about. Animal testing for non-necessetities such as cosmetics should be banned - I could find 12 in every dozen animal lovers (myself included) who would gladly allow them to test on themselves for free or for a little cash instead of hurting animals. As for medical testing, it is awful, but unfortunately sometimes it is necessary.