PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Christmas cards...what do you think?

CathyBogart
12-05-2003, 02:10 AM
http://store.yahoo.com/ppfastore/essegenturel.html

Planned Parenthood is once again offering their extremely controversial "Choice On Earth" Christmas cards. I bought a bunch, but I was wondering what everyone else thinks of these. :)

Kater
12-05-2003, 02:27 AM
I LIKE IT! :D
However, I feel that animal rights should be incorporated somehow....it goes along with human rights in my book.

2kitties
12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Why should Chrismas be about issues not pertaining to Jesus Christ? I'm all for animal rights and human rights and all the rights in between. But a Christmas card is about Christ. Otherwise, it's just a card.

moosmom
12-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Sorry, but I think the cards should be about Christmas, Christ and Holidays, NOT about shoving your beliefs in someone else's face as a holiday greeting. There's a time and place for everything. Christmas is NOT the time.

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
I like them.

But of course I don't believe in god and am not religious in any way so I could care less if they have 'Christ' on them or not.

:)

The holidays for me are a time to do nice things for others and just generally be happy and joyous.

mugsy
12-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Time and Place.

Political agendas don't have a place on a Christmas card.

While I agree with both human rights and animal rights, they don't belong on a Christmas card.

Just my opinion. I would not buy them, nor send them, and I'm not too sure how I would feel about receiving one unless it was from someone I knew very well and would feel comfortable enough to tell them what I thought.

Karen
12-05-2003, 09:50 PM
I think they are fine as other-than-holiday cards, I wouldn't send them as holiday greetings. There's the whole rest of the year for politics, and it does not even mention Peace on Earth! It seems to try oto hard to say "I am a politically conscious person. You should be like me." A better card to send for "don't forget to vote" greetings around election time, perhaps?

Just my humble opinion!

CathyBogart
12-05-2003, 09:51 PM
I certainly DO NOT want any Christmas cards pertaining to Christ! Really now, it was a Pagan holiday first, so I'd much rather have Yule cards pertaining to the Goddess!

I still love 'em, but I'm only sending them to people who I am sure will like them as well. (Mostly my co-workers)

micki76
12-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I certainly DO NOT want any Christmas cards pertaining to Christ! Really now, it was a Pagan holiday first, so I'd much rather have Yule cards pertaining to the Goddess!

I still love 'em, but I'm only sending them to people who I am sure will like them as well. (Mostly my co-workers)

I'm not being rude, but what does that even mean? :confused:

mugsy
12-05-2003, 10:15 PM

You might look at the first 6 letters in the word Christmas. Just a thought. I like it all, just, don't tell me that my beliefs are any less than someone elses.

popcornbird
12-05-2003, 10:20 PM

CHRISTMAS was a Pagan holiday? CHRISTMAS?!?! :eek: I have *never* heard such a thing before! :confused: I always thought its a total Christian day. :confused: Christ's birthday, right?

Sevens
12-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Well, not to butt in on this thread, but if you are not sure about her Yule and Xmas being a pagan holiday, here is a link I found explaining it a bit (although I am not sure if the author is pagan or not).

http://www.oreenscott.com/tis_the_season.htm

I am with you about the Xmas cards Wolfchan. My husband and I are pagan (I have been pagan for about 10 years now) and we've been looking the past week for some cards of that nature, but the ones available in our closest "pagan friendly" store just aren't quite what we are looking for (design-wise). Besides, for as bad as we are about mailing things on time, people probably wouldn't get their cards until Feb. :)

Kfamr
12-05-2003, 11:08 PM
I don't really see what's wrong with them... I'm not sure i understand what's wrong with them.... Or why they're controversial.

The inside reads:

Warmest Wishes for a Peaceful Holiday and a Healthy New Year.
Sounds like a fine, holiday greeting to me.

Can someone explain? :confused: :confused:

Dogz
12-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy them. I think that Christmas is about Christ so I think I would at least want a Christmas card that said Merry Christmas. I am not TOTALLY against them, but as some other people say, Christmas isn't the time.

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Honestly, people!

I'd just be thankful someone was thoughtful enough to take the time and send me a card. Whether it's got christ, planned parenthood or pagan stuff on it, it's the thought that counts.

I'd wouldn't dream of complaining about somone doing something nice like sending a holiday greeting.

:cool:

mugsy
12-06-2003, 07:45 AM
I don't have a problem with pagan stuff. I have friends that are pagan and that's fine. That's what fits their lifestyle and I do think it's interesting. I LIKE Yule cards. I DON'T like to have a political agenda shoved down my throat at Christmas time and ANYTHING with Planned Parenthood printed on it sends a political message. Now, understand that I think Planned Parenthood does a lot of good work and do support them on many things, I just don't want a Christmas card about it.

Pam
12-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Dogz
Personally, I wouldn't buy them. I think that Christmas is about Christ so I think I would at least want a Christmas card that said Merry Christmas. I am not TOTALLY against them, but as some other people say, Christmas isn't the time.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. Let's try and leave Christ in Christmas, lest we forget JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON. Let these people find another vehicle to push their agenda.

RubyMutt
12-06-2003, 09:07 AM
I probably wouldn't buy them, but I like them.

I don't believe in organized religion so I usually lean more toward the funny or "cutesie" animal cards ;)

I agree with Cheshirekatt, I'd be happy that someone just took the time to send me a card. To me, this time of year is more about remembering those you care about, letting them know you're thinking about them, and spending time with them if possible :)

Cincy'sMom
12-06-2003, 09:17 AM
I see no problem with the greeeting on the INSDIE fo the card...but the front is political, and does not belong at Christmas.

If you don't belive in the meaning CHRISTmas, fine. No problem. But why not shoose something that just says "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year" or "Have a nice winter"

As others have said, Time and Place.

RICHARD
12-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Multi use Holidays are kinda OK with me..

If you take the "AR" out of ARBOR day, it become a "BOR"-

Then what would Pirates celebrate?

mahayana
12-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Biblical historians will tell you that Jesus was not born on Christmas, or in the year where we divide the calendar BC/AD.

Not to be the one to disabuse anyone of their misconceptions. Sorry!

The solstices and eqinoxes have been used as celebration times for many thousands of years. I do prefer the Prince of Peace to Santa, just wish more listened to Jesus' words than to the the embellishments.

CathyBogart
12-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Look back, the holiday was Yule long before it was Chriustmas. I'm not trying to bash anyone else's beliefs, (After all, I was raised in a Catholic family) but the fact is that it has been a pagan holiday for thousands of years. :)

*sigh* I'm still waiting for them to come in. I wish I hadn't paid for second day air, because it's now day four and they're not here. *grumble*

Soledad
12-06-2003, 09:51 PM
I would think that if I was sent a Christmas card that said something like "abortion kills - choose life!" I'd be pretty annoyed. Not the time in my mind to be parading your political beliefs.

Twisterdog
12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Time and Place.

Political agendas don't have a place on a Christmas card.

While I agree with both human rights and animal rights, they don't belong on a Christmas card.

Just my opinion. I would not buy them, nor send them, and I'm not too sure how I would feel about receiving one unless it was from someone I knew very well and would feel comfortable enough to tell them what I thought.

I agree.

I am pro-choice and pro-animal rights ... and pro-a lot of other things ... but CHRISTmas is about the birth of CHRIST, IMO. Would you send someone a political message on Easter? On Chanukkah? On Eid? On their birthday? Of course not. So why on Christmas?

IMO, sending someone a card is about THEM, not about YOU and YOUR beliefs. You send someone a card or buy them a present to make them feel happy and loved and special ... not to make yourself feel good about spreading a politcal message from your personal soapbox. Just MHO.

Kfamr
12-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I don't see anywhere where it's saying anything about abortion, or any sign of shoving your beliefs down someone's throat. AND, I don't see how the front is political in any way.

Also, I like to recieve cards from each person that has a little bit of THEM in it, not about me, since it shows who's it's from and each one is special because it's not all about me. Sorta like my grandparent's cards are more religious and normally all about God and contain long paragraphs about God and religious things -- as to my aunt's are normally short, cute, and funny. :) I don't believe in God, and my parents are not the most religious people in the world, but we still recieve cards from each person every year, religious or not.

I agree with whoever said (sorry too lazy to go back and look again) about just feeling special that someone thought of me during the holidays and took the time and effort to put something for me to enjoy in an envelope and send it.

Pam
12-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

IMO, sending someone a card is about THEM, not about YOU and YOUR beliefs.

Exactly! I have a couple of Jewish people on my holiday list and I would certainly never send them a Christmas card. That's why Hanukkah cards and such are made. You buy the card for the person and their reason for celebrating, not to push an agenda.

mahayana
12-07-2003, 07:02 AM
In other words, preach to the choir?

Looks to me like the words "planned parenthood" are the only controversial things about these cards. They bring the spectre of abortion to the Holy Birth story, which is disconcerting!!!

The message "Have a happy and healthy holiday" seems benign.

mugsy
12-07-2003, 08:47 AM
The back reads:

March for Freedom of Choice! Washington, DC April 25, 2004 www.plannedparenthood.org

Gee, now there's nothing political about this!

Kfamr
12-07-2003, 01:20 PM
It may be political, but I don't see how it should be offending, controversial or how it's shoving her beliefs down anyones throat.

A card could say "March for Christ!" blah,blah,such,and such date "www.fsdafsadf.com" -- and someone could send it to me. Would it mean they're shoving it down my throat sending it to me, someone that doesn't really believe in religions? No.
They took the time and day to think of me, and send me a card -- And i'd be grateful.

I don't see how something about 'Freedom of Choice' should be offending. Isn't it sort of like saying 'Peace on Earth', as a Christmas card?

I still, just don't get what's so wrong about the card... The back is just sort of like where it comes from.. Shall someone get offended if it says "March for Hallmark" ?? :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

Pam
12-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
They took the time and day to think of me, and send me a card -- And i'd be grateful.

Aaah KayAnn but to those of us who hold this holiday as sacred it should not have to be shared with a political message. I know you hold no religious beliefs, and that is certainly your choice, but there are still plenty of us who do and to us it is offensive to use the Birth of Christ to preach another message. Jesus has had to share the spotlight with Santa for years now and so many little children now think first of Santa when they think of Christmas. How very sad. Why are people so intent on removing Christ from Christmas and diluting His message? What are they afraid of?

Also, just think about it, if Mary had had "Freedom of Choice" she might have chosen to abort the Holy Child. Certainly one could understand her plight - unmarried and pregnant back in a time when that carried very harsh consequences. Think of the repercussions for all of mankind if that had happened.

This card is just wrong and offensive IMHO.

mugsy
12-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Kayann, this is a political statement on a CHRISTmas card. At least a religious statement would fit into the season. I am totally pro choice, but have many friends who are pro life. If I sent that to them they would be totally offended. The view of many pro choice people see it as immoral and supporting murder. That's my point. I am a pretty political person, but, I don't want politics in my Christmas card. In some twisted line of thinking, it would interfere with my belief in separation of church and state....there are a many reasons why I would never choose to send this card nor would I want to receive it. I like to get cards, but, don't care THAT much whether I get one or not and for many people that kind of card (I would be equally offended if I got a pro life card or any other "hot" topic) would strike me as trying to press buttons. Just my opinion. People who want to send the card are going to send it and people who wouldn't mind getting the card are probably better people than I, but, so goes it.

aly
12-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Shall someone get offended if it says "March for Hallmark" ?? :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

HHahaha... march for Hallmark ... hehehehehee.

Kfamr
12-07-2003, 02:01 PM
LMAO, Ok guys.... I still don't understand, but eehhh... your opinion.

Cheshirekatt
12-07-2003, 06:22 PM
LMAO, Ok guys.... I still don't understand, but eehhh... your opinion.

I'm with you on this on, Kayann.

Like I said before, I'd just be happy and grateful someone thought of me.

:)

carole
12-07-2003, 06:59 PM
I think it is totally up to you, YOUR CHOICE, obviously you like them or you would not have bought them, I am not religious either , but I do respect peoples beliefs, but I would not buy a card with a religious message to send to my friends as I would feel I was being a hypocrite.

So whatever you believe in, if you are happy to send them, then DO IT.:)

Twisterdog
12-07-2003, 11:03 PM
I don't see how something about 'Freedom of Choice' should be offending. Isn't it sort of like saying 'Peace on Earth', as a Christmas card?

LOL ... Oh, honey ... there is a WORLD of difference between "Freedom of Choice" and "Peace on Earth" ... especially to the millions of people who feel that choice = abortion = murder. They are receiveing a greeting at Christmas, basically, that goes against everything they believe in and stand for.

I'm thinking of my grandma here, for example ... VERY sweet lady, the salt of the earth. EVERYone loves my Grandma. She's also a very devout Christian and VERY pro-life. If someone sent her a Christmas card like that ... she would cry for a year.

Kay, think of something that just makes you feel ill to think of it. Say, perhaps, pit bull fighting rings or testing on animals. How would you feel if you opened a Christmas card, expecting a friendly greeting, and saw a message promoting one of those things? Disturbing, yes? That is how pro-life people would feel receiving this card. It would be hurtful to them, at a time that is supposed to be loving and caring.

Also, I'm not sure what the point is - I really doubt receiving a Christmas card with a political agenda is going to change anyone's political views. Someone is not going to read the back of a pro-choice card and say, "Oh, gee, I was wrong all these years, I'll change my mind." Your friends know your views already, presumably, and either agree with you or agree to disagree. And you're not going to change an aquaintence's mind with a card, anyway.

Tonya
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
All though I'd love to get into the debate on what Christmas is really about and pro-life vs. pro-choice, I'll stick to the original question.

Some of the things the card says are cool, but I prefer to think of Christmas as a happy time. I wouldn't want a card about depressing issues. It is hard enough to avoid them as it is.

Cataholic
12-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Also, I'm not sure what the point is - I really doubt receiving a Christmas card with a political agenda is going to change anyone's political views. Someone is not going to read the back of a pro-choice card and say, "Oh, gee, I was wrong all these years, I'll change my mind." Your friends know your views already, presumably, and either agree with you or agree to disagree. And you're not going to change an aquaintence's mind with a card, anyway.

The point? To make a point. There are 365 days in a year. Choose any OTHER one to send your political statement on. Leave Christmas, to those that celebrate it, alone. While I am pro-choice, I would be slightly appalled by someone's lack of taste in sending me this card.

I know, I know, I will send my Jewish friend's a Christmas card! Maybe NEXT year, they will know the REAL religion, right? OR, maybe to any of my friends carrying a pound or two too many...maybe some nice suggested cards from Weight Watchers? OR, how about those friends that simply can't seem to get the law right...maybe cards with my business cards enclosed? Ick!

The holidays, no matter which one you celebrate, should be light and peaceful, not political and in your face.

If you don't celebrate? Fine, stay nuetral. Don't ruin the holiday for those that do.

carole
12-08-2003, 07:15 PM
I am sure Cataholic she will only send the cards to people she knows would not be offended by them, that would make sense to me.

I have no particular religious beliefs, but one of my closest friend is very religious, if she sent me a card with a religious poem in it for xmas, I would not be offended at all, just MHO.:)

tatsxxx11
12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Quite frankly, I am sick and tired of getting a festive holiday greeting from my dentist with a little note on the bottom reminding me that it's time for my cleaning!:D

dukedogsmom
12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with this card as a card in general. But, I'm pro choice also. If my parents received a card like that, they would be horribly offended. I don't see what this card has to do with Christmas, however. I would use the card as a general greeting card.

CathyBogart
12-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by carole
I am sure Cataholic she will only send the cards to people she knows would not be offended by them, that would make sense to me.

LoL, I did say that. Thanks! :)

Logan
12-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Quite frankly, I am sick and tired of getting a festive holiday greeting from my dentist with a little note on the bottom reminding me that it's time for my cleaning!:D

:D :D :D