PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience at the Vet (pretty lengthy)

zippy-kat
12-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Let me first state that my bunny vet is 2hrs (one way) from my house. It's in TX, so any time I go, I combat a time zone difference--this is hard as I don't get off of work until 4.30-5.00PM.
I've never had any problems with them and (until today) thought they were the salt of the earth.

Piper had a bloody foot not long ago. I got to looking at it and noticed both feet were a little raw. Sore hocks *usually* only occurs when rabbits live in cages with wire bottoms. Piper's out when I'm home and in his (solid-floor) cage when I'm not. I don't know why his feet have/had sores. They did seem to be healing but then I found a bald spot inbetween his chin and dewlap. It looks sort of like an abcess but it's not oozing and it's not the purpley-red color. Last night I'd noticed it was bigger.

K'Cee has a vet appt. tomorrow (shots) and I thought I would see if her vet would see Piper at the same time. For whatever reason, they couldn't. I had mom call Piper's 'regular' vet to see if they would see him after hours -- even though it was not an emergency. She called and they said "sure! call before she leaves town." I did. Spoke with a lady who said, "I'll pull the file. Call when you get into town."

I arrived in town and dialed the number, the vet answered. I told him who I was and that I was told to call when I arrived so that he could meet me at the office. He proceeded to (angrily) tell me that "this was an emergency number only" and "he couldn't see everyone after hours -- they had office hours" and on and on and on. I explained that I was told by ___ that a vet would be able to meet me, even though it was NOT an emergency. He repeated the lecture on emergency/non-emergency calls. I said, "Well I just traveled two hours to come over here. Is there no way you can see me?" At this he goes irrate, "I said we have office hours. This is an emergency line only. What you described to me is NOT an emergency. If you're willing to pay the extra fee I guess I can meet you there." I explained that I was warned about and prepared to pay the extra cost. "Ok." Click.

When he got there, I could hear him yelling before I even got the pet taxi out of the car. The same spiel, "If I stayed after hours for everyone, I'd never go home! I was here until 6.45pm seeing people. There's a reason we have office hours--" and on and on, repeating the same thing over and over. I *ALMOST* walked out that door; I came for help not a lecture. I understand his frustrations but does a miscommunication in his office warrant taking it out on the customer? How professional is that?

The diagnosis....
He looked at Piper and said, "There's nothing wrong with this rabbit. It's healthy. I don't even see what you're talking about." I showed, him. The tone of his reply disgusted me, he smugly said, "Oh. That. That's where he mutilated himself." Why would he do that? "I don't know. It's just something rabbits do. I can't believe I'm up here for this..." I lost it. Totally started bawling. I apologized for wasting his time that __ told me it was ok, otherwise I wouldn't be here. He asked me something else, then started to really look at the place I was talking about. Something sparked his interest and he went to go get 'stuff.'

Long story short, not sure what's wrong with Piper. It's not a mite. It's not a florescent ringworm. They did a culture thinking that it could be a non-florescent ringworm and/or a fungal thing. I have an ointment to put on it.

To his credit, he did come back and apologize, "I came off rather strongly..." I agreed and said "if I'd have known I would've been greeted that way, I'd have stayed home."

I'm somewhat thinking of calling tomorrow and talking with the lady who gave the ok to come. I'm not mad at her but I'm highly upset in the way I was treated/greeted, and want to know what happened--why the doc. didn't know about this. I understand it was NOT an emergency, that it was the doctor's call whether or not to come (and parts of me are grateful that he did), but it was enough to cause me to think of taking my business elsewhere. Am I just in doing this? Any advice on what to say or do? Would a complaint be more formal/carry more weight if it were in writing?

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 01:53 AM
Hey there.

Sorry you had such a bad experience at the vet. From working at a vet's office before I can tell you that as great a clinician as they may be, some vets are total jerks.

I definately think you should call, but I'd also write a letter about your experience with the dr. himself. Does he own the practice? Is he a partner or just a staff member?

I'd definately talk to someone, as that was totally uncalled for.

Hope you figure out what's wrong with your bunny.

LoudLou
12-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Aww, Tonya. I'm sorry you had such a HORRIBLE experience. LOUD Louie & The Beans send headbumpies and wiggle butt to help cheer you up.

Mr. Piper bunny- Get Well, Soon!

I say yes to calling and relaying your experience, followed by a written complaint to the office and letting them know that at one time you thought 'They were the salt of the earth' but, that you may be taking your business elsewhere now.

I have had bad experiences too, however we only have 3 vets in the immediate area and I explained to the one the furkids see now that he wouldn't take his Children to a pediatrician he didn't trust or one that had lousy bedside manner, etc... I point blankly told him My children may have four legs and fur but they are My Kids and deserve the same QUALITY of care.... he's been a great vet since that convo. :o

shais_mom
12-05-2003, 02:01 AM
I agree. I would definately call and write a letter. If he isn't a partner or the owner of the clinic then the other vets need to know how he is.
A girl I work with told me a story about one of the vets that worked where I go to and it was not flattering. Telling a person whose dog had just been hit by a car, he would have to pay $200 to be seen b/c he wasn't a patient of the clinic and wouldn't touch him until he saw the money. I have no idea if this story is true, or not, but I DO know he is no longer with the practice. For reasons such as that, or others I have no idea.

Give sweet Piper a hug from Aunt Staci and will be anxiously waiting the soap opera of Kissie's visit to the white coat tomorrow!!!
And I know there will be one! ;)

CathyBogart
12-05-2003, 02:01 AM
What an arse! Tell him to frag off for me!:mad:

zippy-kat
12-05-2003, 02:08 AM
I wanted to add that, towards the end of the conversation even he admitted that:

1.) There's no way it could be self-mutilation. It's not possible for him to bite that area.

2.) It wouldn't have been that big of a deal had the receiptionist told him I was coming and that he was going to "yell" (whether that was figurative or not, I don't know) at ___ tomorrow morning.

I'm a little hesitant to burn my bridges because I'm waiting for the results of the culture. I don't know what to do.

CathyBogart
12-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I'm guessing the answer is no since you were willing to travel all that way to get to him, but is there another bunny vet near-ish to you?

*sigh* Get Well Soon Piper!

Kater
12-05-2003, 02:29 AM
I think a good plan is to see how he handles this mistake (because we all make them) after the fact and with a cool head --- I certainly hope he makes some better choices.

If you continue to be dissatisfied with his bedside manner (or lack thereof) then I would start considering finding another vet. Although since you're already driving 2 hours I would imagine good bunny vets aren't too common in your area....

I hope Piper's feetsie sores are just something minor...glad to hear it's not self mutilation!

I wouldn't worry about burning bridges...give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, he's much better usually, right? You just caught him on a very *off* day, methinks. However, he needs to see the consequences of his actions and so I think a letter would be most appropriate.

lynnestankard
12-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Sorry the visit was so traumatic Tonya - especially after you'd 'phoned in advance.
I'd say hang on til the treatment is concluded and Piper is fighting fit again - then I'd send a letter explaining what happened and howyou felt/feel.
Maybe the vet was having a 'bad' day - but to take it out on you -after a two hour drive (!!) is inexcusable - just plain rude!

{{{Hugs}}} to you and Piper - hope the furbun is better very soon xxxx Please let us know how his recovery goes.

Lynne

ramanth
12-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
I definately think you should call, but I'd also write a letter about your experience with the dr. himself. Does he own the practice? Is he a partner or just a staff member?
I agree. They can't withhold the bunny culture info just because you relate your displeasure at the situation.

Once Piper is cured... then you can worry about whether or not to find a new doc.

*hugs* to you and Piper.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-05-2003, 10:49 AM
I have to agree, a phone call and a letter would definitely be in order - especially if he is just a partner and not sole owner of the clinic. Sounds like he just totally overdid it - after all, there was no reason to continue ranting once you got there after he had done it all on the phone. :rolleyes:

I sure hope they find out what's wrong with Piper and that they do something to make you want to go back again - a refund on the extra fees, even if it's just a partial refund.

And I feel sorry for the girl that told you it was ok. If he's that way with a paying patient, what's he like with his office help? :rolleyes: :eek:

micki76
12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
I agree. They can't withhold the bunny culture info just because you relate your displeasure at the situation.

Once Piper is cured... then you can worry about whether or not to find a new doc.

*hugs* to you and Piper.

Exactly.

Tonya, that just sucks. I don’t care who you are, you don’t behave that way, especially to a client!

I’d surely write the letter of complaint and I’d definitely look for another vet.

Nomilynn
12-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Aww Tonya I'm sorry about this crummy experience :(

If it were me, I would wait until you got the results back from the test. Then, while I was at a consult visit regarding Piper's results, I would make the vet look me in the eye and have a face to face conversation with him. I think if you are there, paying for the time to talk to him anyway, he would have a hard time ignoring you and/or "pretending" to listen. BUT.. I would ONLY do this after Piper has been treated and given a diagnosis. It sounds like this vet may be spiteful (ie the "mutilation" comment) and possibly lie to you to make you "shut up." Then, based on THAT conversation, I would write a letter. I would also have a face to face conversation with the receptionist that didn't double check with the vet before telling you it would be ok to drive all that way. If they have your file, they obviously know your address.. for her to say "sure, come on down" and NOT consult the Dr is just plain carelessness on her part. So, because of that, she is in part responsible for your experience too. And, like I said, I would wait until those face to face conversations until I wrote a letter. If you aren't satisfied with the outcomes, write the letter, and CC it to the board of veterinarians (or whatever it is called) because they should be aware of how you were treated.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-05-2003, 12:35 PM
I agree that you should wait until you get a diagnosis. Piper's health is what is most important. Then if you are ever told to 'come on down' tell them what happened and that you want it verified with the vet before you leave!
HUGS AND KISSIES TO PIPER!!! FEEL BETTER SOON SWEETIE!!!

KYS
12-05-2003, 06:42 PM
First I am sending you a hug, for that
upsetting experince from the vet.
He shure must have had a bad day and took
it out on you. : (

I would write down everything that happened ,
for memory reasons. As others have sugested, I would wait about acting on anything as long as Piper is still being treated their.
Than you can decide what you would like to do.

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
It wouldn't have been that big of a deal had the receiptionist told him I was coming and that he was going to "yell" (whether that was figurative or not, I don't know) at ___ tomorrow morning.

I'm a little hesitant to burn my bridges because I'm waiting for the results of the culture. I don't know what to do.

Not to scare you, but it's my experience that any vet that treats his staff this way (by telling clients that he's going to yell at them) usually doesn't treat the animals much better. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kfamr
12-05-2003, 06:54 PM
I DON'T care if it was afterhours, I DON'T care if it wasn't an emergency (but, when something wrong with one of our babies, when is it not and emergency???), and I DON'T care if he knew nothing about it not being an emergency. The customer is ALWAYS right and he had no reason or right to so be so rude to you. It's very unprofessional and something should be said and done about him. I hope he's not like that to everyone who comes in afterhours.:mad:

And it seems as if he lied to you at first aobut what was wrong, then what seemed like possible trouble (you crying over the whole deal) he sucked up and started DOING HIS JOB. :mad:

Aspen and Misty
12-05-2003, 07:02 PM
I would also be conserned. How many other times do you know of that he didn't just rush you out the door to get out of the office ASAP? I would be worried about him dignosing my bunny wrong (like he did with Piper at first) and my bun getting sick.

Ashley

gini
12-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Tonya, first of all, I surmise that you are not traveling two hours to get to the vets and ignoring the excellent vet down the street from the house. I think you have mentioned that there are not that many good vets in your immediate area and also one that can treat bunnies.

What immediately comes to my mind is my own experience of taking one look at Rascal's ear and knowing that if I didn't get it treated immediately, he would be in really bigger trouble.

When I took him into the Vet - he almost exploded with "Oh, this is going to require surgery."

After all was said and done and Rascal came home with tubes in his ears to drain the abscess the vet apologized to me. Why?
He was already under the gun with many cases and I only added one more. He apologized and said that he was short-handed and became overloaded himself with so many emergencies.

The Vet is human - and there may have been all kinds of scenarios going on - his wife was yelling he was always late - it was his kid's birthday - on and on - not to mention that at the end of a day he is probably really tired.

For right now, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Absolutely you should not have been treated this way and it is upsetting. But if there are no other vets nearby that can treat Piper - you may have to carefully think this through.

The most important thing is to get Piper healed - but of course, you already know that.

It won't hurt to ask around to everyone about vets......you are already driving so far - there must be others.

It sounds like the girl in the office doesn't know what she is doing and the communication is awful.

He did apologize to you and that has to be considered.

Please keep us posted and tell us how Piper is doing.

Hugs to you.......XXOO

Cinder & Smoke
12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
HiYa, Zipp ~ :D

First ~
How's the PATIENT doing??
Give Piper a {{{HUGG}}} or several,
and a few Ear Skritchies, too!

Next ~
SOOooo Sorry you were treated that way...

What to do??
I'll side with the Take a Deep Breath
*AND* Think of da Bunnie First crowd...

The Practice does have a reputation of Good Care with Bunnies...
THAT Fact ought to be considered before
you consider what to do with your injured feelings.

I do find it HARD to Believe a VET acted that way
to you (NOT that I doubt you)...
Which leads me to think Something Else was bothering him.
Gini offered some possibilities.

I'll also give him Two Points for
1) Actually Diagnosing the Piper Problem
2) And he DID apologize...
(TOO BAD he needs a LOT more than 2 Points to get
back to ZERO;
let alone put some points on the board.)

My Suggestion?
TRY (real hard) to act like it didn't happen when you speak with
any of them, and during the follow-up visit.

In fairness to Piper (who probably wasn't *bothered* by Doc's sour attitude a bit) - hold you unhappiness back until AFTER Piper is well.

And... you might (HOPEfully) see a Change In Attitude on
you next visit. Doc might be in for an earfull :eek: himself
after he chews out the receptionist. Once he hears HER side of
just what WAS pre-arranged with you...
He might be chewing on some Humble Pie!

Good Questions have been raised earlier:
1) Just what IS his position in the Practice??
Head Vet;
Partner with others;
or just Hired Help with a DVM after his name?

If he's the #1 Head Honcho -
:( - do some serious searching for another Bunnie Vet.

If he's a Partner or Hired Help -
Do try to give him the benifit of the doubt -
See how he treats you the next time (and I wouldn't be
bashfull about REMINDING him how he acted, if he
tries to ignore it and not apologize when he sees you.)
NO apology next time = Kick Ass!
As soon as Piper is finished with treatments;
march into the Head Honcho's office and lay it all
out for him.

One more You sound just like Dad thought -
It's PIPER that needs the Doc's Care & Knowledge - NOT you.
As long as PIPER is being Treated Well, try to forget his
crappy treatment of you.
But only "forget" till Piper's well -
THEN unload on him and the Boss with all you've got!

I'll HOPE he realizes just how UN-professionally he acted!
A Bouquet of Roses presented on your next visit would be in order!

{{{HUGGs}}} to You and Piper!
And give da Kitty a Few Skritchies, too!

/s/ Yur Bud - Phred

zippy-kat
12-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Ya know, I understand human error. I understand a bad day. But the more I thought about what happened, the more irked I became. Also, I talked with my boss about the situation (he asked how the patient was this morning -- he loves animals :) ) & I briefly told him what happened. He agreed that it was over the top.

I did call today and spoke with the lady who gave the second ok to come down. Told her (politely) that I was calling in regards to something that happened yesterday that upset me greatly. I explained the situation noting that (1) I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble and that (2) up until yesterday I had had nothing but good things to say about the practice but (3) what happened yesterday disappointed me greatly, enough so that I was thinking of taking my business elsewhere; (4)bottom line, I just wanted to find out what/where the miscommunication was. She DID act concerned and even sounded a little shocked at what happened, she said she would do some checking and call me back. She failed to return my call. If she does not call tomorrow, I will be writing a letter and will def. take Piper somewhere else. Exactly where that will be, I don't know.

I got to thinking... what he did to Piper was not any different than what any other vet would do. (Check for mites, ringworms...) And, in all honesty, he wasn't sure what was going on with my bunny... it was a case of "let's try this and see if it works." I respect and value his route of treatment, but I guess I keep going back to the fact that... he didn't know.

On the plus side, Piper's attitude, eating, pottying habbits have NOT changed. It's truly NOT an emergency situation which makes it good to test the waters with other vets. I'm driving two hours NE... I can drive two hours SE just as easily to two other cities. And, if all else fails, I have Sophie's vet in Las Cruces.

zippy-kat
12-06-2003, 12:01 AM
As for the pecking order...

I know there are three vets that work there (I've seen all of them at one point or another) but I don't know who owns the clinic, who is above who in rank, or anything like that.

Miss Meow
12-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Oh no, I only just caught this thread.

I'm sorry the woman didn't return your call. Either she's waiting for someone's input, or she's not meeting her commitment to you.

If they can't come back with an explanation, I'd be looking for another vet. The hooman needs care in veterinary situations, too :)

ramanth
12-08-2003, 11:07 AM
How's Piper?

Any word back from the vets?

lizbud
12-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
As for the pecking order...

I know there are three vets that work there (I've seen all of them at one point or another) but I don't know who owns the clinic, who is above who in rank, or anything like that.

The answer to this question could make all the difference in
how I'd respond. The Vet himself might be the one driving to
another Clinic (to work), not you. I think they owe you a huge
apology. How's Piper doing now? O.K., I hope.:)

zippy-kat
12-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
How's Piper?

Any word back from the vets?

Piper's losing more fur. :(
I quit using the cream the vet gave me... something just doesn't feel right in using it. (Not only that, I think it burns him. He tries to lick it off and if the slightest bit ends up on his tongue, he goes bezerk.) I tried to medicate and then put an E-collar on him (Sophie had to wear it after her spay), but that went over like a brick.

The vet mentioned I could use a cortizone cream on him, I think I'm going to try that until I can get him to a different vet (this wk is finals for me, there's absolutely no way I can get anywhere before Saturday). I'm also going to order some herbal hot-spot & skin calming remedies.

Piper eats and plays and cuddles -- he's apparently fine except that he's going bald!? (I can hear the "hare tonic" jokes coming on... lol)

On a positive note, I have (sorta) found a new bunny vet. A cousin linked me to the vet who treated (and saved!) his ferret for cancer. I hate starting from scratch but think it's best.

As for the other vets... not a word from them.
I had planned on writing a letter of complaint and getting it in today's post, but that didn't happen. I'll probably let it go until after finals.

tatsxxx11
12-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh Tonya, I was so furious when I read how rudely and UNprofessionally you and Piper were treated! Even if the vet felt he had a point re: some scheduling issue, that was not your fault or your problem and he should have treated his client and family with the professionalism that is to be expected and dealt with his staff, policies etc. another day!

However, I can't honestly say that I'm shocked to hear how you were treated. Having worked with drs. and medical people most of my adult life, I have often been witness to such arrogant, rude and unprofessional treatment of patients/families by drs. Not all, but it certainly is not a rarity! I'll never forget one occasion when I was discussing with my vet (from years ago) a similar type experience a friend of mine had with her vet. In addition to being rude to the owner, his treatment of the animal was less than compassionate. Technically appropriate but unfeeling and "cold." His response to me was, "Sandra, just because someone becomes a vet, doesn't necessarily mean he/she loves animals; or people!" Now THAT shocked me! I suppose there are many reasons why people go into veterinary medicine, not all of them alturisitc. Still, the job title does require a modicum of tact, gentleness, compassion and patience.

I am so thankful for having been blessed with the most exceptional vets. Last year I rushed my kitty Mr. B to the on call vet at my hospital for breathing difficulties. (He has asthma and a heart condition) Of course Mr. B decided to hide under the bed :rolleyes: and we arrived there late...with my vet and his wife waiting at the door decked out in a tux and formal gown!:eek: On top of that, once we got there, Mr. B was fine!:D I felt SO bad to have dragged him from a formal occasion for "nothing" and he told me not to worry one bit and gave him a complete exam. That's what he's there for, he said! One other time, Oliver would NOT get out of the kitchen sink and sat there lethargic for hours hoping I would turn on the water so he could stick his head under it! I finally broke down and called the vet and rushed me to the "ER." Again, no apologies needed!:D I hope that little Piper begins to heal and that you find a vet worthy of you both!:) I know you well enough to know that NOTHING you did warrants such treatment! I hope you do write that letter, too!

ramanth
12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Oh Piper. :( *hugs and bunny kisses* Please don't lose anymore of that beautiful fur!

Tonya, you mentioned you have finals... is it possible that Piper is sensing your stress and subsequently losing his fur? If you already have considered that possability, my apologies. It was the first thing I thought of.

I hope (after your finals of course) that you write them a letter. That is positively rude of them to not contact you.

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. :(