PDA

View Full Version : And People Are Worried About Pit Bulls

Cheshirekatt
12-04-2003, 11:07 PM
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Friday, November 28, 2003 · Last updated 11:34 a.m. PT

Jogger bit by police dog files $520,000 damage claim

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDMONDS, Wash. -- An innocent jogger who was bitten repeatedly by a police dog that was subsequently euthanized has filed a $520,000 damage claim against this suburban Seattle municipality.

The claim filed by Frances Barnett of Marysville is at least the third stemming from the biting of innocent people by Nico, an 8-year-old German shepherd.

On Oct. 28, Barnett was jogging in Marysville near the home of Edmonds police Officer Linda Binkley, Nico's handler, when the dog got out of a back yard kennel and attacked, biting her legs, back and shoulder.

According to the claim, the dog walked away after the initial attack, then came back and bit Barnett again after she tried to get up and go home. She eventually crawled through a drainage ditch and walked about a quarter-mile to her home after she was out of the dog's sight.

Police Chief David Stern, who said Binkley was away at the time and would not be disciplined, acknowledged that the claim was filed but would not comment further.

Lou Leigh, executive director of the Washington Cities Insurance Authority, which handles liability insurance for Edmonds, indicated the case would probably be settled in negotiations.

"This isn't the kind of case that will ever make it to a courtroom," Leigh told The Herald of Everett.

"The facts are pretty clear," he said. "It's unfortunate that this happened, and we just want to make it right with (the victim)."

Nico was quarantined a day after the attack and was put down in early November after veterinarians told police he was likely to bite again.

Officials acknowledged that Barnett was the fifth innocent person the dog had bitten in as many years.

Joe Bennett, a lawyer, said he is preparing lawsuits on behalf of two other victims, a Marysville girl who was 15 when she was bitten in April 2000, and Adam Taylor, an Edmonds Community College student who was 19 when he was bitten in March 2001.

The city has rejected a $1 million damage claim filed by Taylor.

Corinna
12-04-2003, 11:49 PM
I woundered how long before someone posted this story. I'm waiting for my mother in law to do some checking on the whole story ,as she lives in Marysville 2 blocks from the cop shop. Also knows several of the local cops.
Shes one of those who is the area news source. It is a diserbing story if it is as reported. Both for lack of protecting the dog on the officers part. Also the continued allowing the k-9 units to still use the dog. It almost seems that the dog wasn't kept in his training program.
As I get more info I'll post it.

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Yes, I live just 10 minutes away from Marysville. I've got a friend who works in the prosecutors office that let me onto this story.

It got amazingly little press considering how serious it is.

When I worked at the vet office, we had contracts with several of the local K9 units and let me tell you, a few of those dogs really scared me. There are very few dogs I've met that I was really scared of but two police dogs in particular did.

I understand that in order to be good K9 cops they must have a high prey drive, but the handlers seemed to have limited control over a few of them.

I'm also shocked that this particular dog wasn't contained properly and was able to get out. Seems very negligent to me.

wolf_Q
12-05-2003, 12:20 AM
When I worked at the vet office, we had contracts with several of the local K9 units and let me tell you, a few of those dogs really scared me. There are very few dogs I've met that I was really scared of but two police dogs in particular did.

There's a retired police german shepherd that came in for a bath and brush one time. I will NEVER do that dog again..he scared me to death. The guy had a muzzle on him when he brought him in, and he's like "well yeah he doesnt really like strangers." The muzzle was waaaay too loose so I had to put another one on. I couldn't even touch that dog withouth him not just growling, but lunging at me. He was completely unpredicitable and vicious.

I know police dogs are trained to attack....but they shouldn't be attacking any stranger near them!

Just fyi I'm not saying that all GSDs are vicious (I love the breed!) nor that all police trained dogs are that way, just that the experience I had with one was unpleasant.

It's unfortunate such a thing like this had to happen....ANY dog should be securly kept in a house/yard, but ESPECIALLY a dog with training like that!

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
There's a retired police german shepherd that came in for a bath and brush one time. I will NEVER do that dog again..he scared me to death. The guy had a muzzle on him when he brought him in, and he's like "well yeah he doesnt really like strangers." The muzzle was waaaay too loose so I had to put another one on. I couldn't even touch that dog withouth him not just growling, but lunging at me. He was completely unpredicitable and vicious.

Yep, they always had to be muzzled while we worked on them.

:eek:

Kfamr
12-05-2003, 05:17 AM
I love GSD's, GSD mixes(obviously, since Simba is one:p) as well as Pit Bulls.
No one should be 'worried' about either breed, they should be worried how they're brought up and trained though.

I've seen some of the sweetest, well-mannered police dogs, as to some of the meanest dogs, that you're not allowed near.

There was obviously something wrong with his training if he bit that many people. And, where was his owner?

Barbara
12-05-2003, 05:31 AM
It's a question of education and not of the breed.

We have here a detective series in TV with a GSD as the main star - it is incredible what he can do. I love that series.

One day I had a business meeting with me, one computer guy and the managing director of a Swedish company, a very elegant lady. This computer guy always was accompanied by his dog, a GSD who was very well trained. I was a little worried how she would react.

That lady was wearing a light blue suit :eek: The dog sat down in front of her, smiled friendly (it looked like that...), lifted his paw and very gently put it on her knee:D Then he lay down and was quiet all over the meeting.

She would have loved to steal that dog:D :D :D

Tonya
12-05-2003, 06:31 AM
I hope no one gets offended by this, because I don't know what in the heck I am talking about. lol. Two friends of mine are heavily involved in training GSDs. They've done it for years. I remember my friend mentioning to me that the police dogs are actually pretty much rejects. They are the ones who didn't do well in the competitive thingy majigy (can't remember the name, sorry). She said that the police departments are to cheap to buy the good dogs.

-Now don't get upset, because I to believe that all dogs are good dogs. And I like I said, I don't totally know what I am saying; just repeating what I was told. But apparently, in the US, the police dogs aren't the best out there.

Cheshirekatt
12-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Hmmm....maybe I didn't make my point clear. :)

I wasn't saying that shepards are bad (I've had two myself and they were the BEST dogs!), I was just pointing out that had this been an attack by a pit bull, it would have been all over the news.

:)

As it was, they kept it quiet because it was a police dog.

Corinna
12-05-2003, 11:29 AM
I hate to say it but I think the west coast training schools are using bad info. I have worked ewith lots of different dogs from milartry and police . Ones whom have been trained at a certian school or it's polisiphy are not trust worthy. But others are great a freind went to an east coast school and the difference between his and his partners *(wc) trained dog are night and day. Also I think they are giving dogs to SOME cops who should not be partnered with a dog.
A properly trained dog should be a family dog when off duty and a "killer" when ordered on duty but only when commanded. Sorry I got so long it is just one of my pet peeves, cuz hubby was a reserve cop and rodewith the best k9 unit I have ever met. Un fortuanly they we both injured and the dog had to be put down from her injuries. Guy walked fre due to a stupid technacallity.

RICHARD
12-06-2003, 10:48 AM
I thought this thread was about an old girlfriend.

nevermind.

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
As a "fixer" of communications equipment, I've worked on a
lot of Police K-9 Cruisers...
Often with the 4-Legged Officer "supervising".

In talking with the Handlers, *most* of the K-9's where obtained from
either Germany or Belgium -at costs of MANY Thousands of dollars.

Originally posted by Tonya
... the police dogs are actually pretty much rejects.
... apparently, in the US, the police dogs aren't
the best out there.

I'm sure there are many Low Bid dogs in the Police Service;
but I never met one.

I was always cautioned to:

1) Never approach the cruiser IF the K-9 was inside -
the Car is his Castle...
WAIT till Fido UN-loaded -
then he wouldn't mind my working on HIS car.

2) NEVER rough-house or make what Fido might think was "un-friendy" contact
with HIS Handler. Even shaking hands with the Officer was
a no-no - UNless the Officer reached out first!

3) Many Police K-9's are trusted to be taken into schools and
allowed to mingle with students.

Nico, at 8 years old, was reaching an age where many Police K-9's
are taken out of active service and retired to the Handler & Family.
Nico is NOT an example of a normal Police K-9.
With 3 or 5 *Bites* on his record - he probably
should have already been retired.

/s/ Phred

rg_girlca
12-07-2003, 12:46 PM
My question is, "How come nothing was done after this dog bit the 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 4th innocent person?" Was number 5 the magic number?
Just curious.

Fiachra
12-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Just goes to show you, its the way the dog was brought up, not the breed, because GSDs typically are WONDERFUL dogs, they are in fact one of my favorite breeds!;)

CathyBogart
12-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I adore the average GSD, but I think there was something wrong with this one. Normally I am against euthanasia in attack cases, but in this case I think it was long past due. Poor man, poor dog. :(

dukedogsmom
12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Our dogs come from overseas and I'm sure they're not cheap. It was the dog's training that comes into play. Like that one I posted pics of that day. He was such a sweetie. And the other dog shouldn't have been uncontained while left alone.