PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bringing in Another Kitten

Kristyn
12-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Gizmo is doing really well and has attahced to us. He follows us everywhere and always wants to be with us.

We want to adopt another kitten but we're concerned that the two will bond with each other and won't want anything to do with us.

Any experiences?

Mike

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
I really don't have experience with this, but I think you'll be just fine. More than likely the new kitten will want to be with you all the time too, and then you'll have two of them following you everywhere - which can only be a good thing. :D But I'm sure there are many more here with lots more experience with kittens so they'll probably have much better advice for you. :)

moosmom
12-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Mike,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They will bond with each other, but I doubt very highly that they'll change the way they feel about you. Afterall, look at this little peanut!!!

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/gizmo2.jpg

BTW, how did you make out contacting Catales? I tried to call Debi to let you know you'd be calling but her line was busy forever!!! Please keep me posted.

rg_girlca
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
I also say, that I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if they do bond with each other, which would be a very good thing, you will still have Gizmo cuddling with you. If not, the both of them, which would be heaven.:)

Randy_K
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Gizmo's relationship with you will change as (and if) the two cats bond. He will be a little more independent since there is always someone to play/sleep/hang out with. You will still be important and Gizmo will still miss you while you are at work or away but it won't be as intense. His life will be more interesting and more fun.

Prairie Purrs
12-05-2003, 12:09 AM
I brought home Kacey and Kiri at the same time. Both became attached to me, but Kacey was Velcro kitty right from the start. Ten years and another eight cats later, Kacey is still my best buddy.

In fact, only Angel (the youngest) prefers the other cats' company to mine, and even he will occasionally have a snooze in my lap.

I wouldn't worry about little Gizmo. He's made it clear that he likes cuddles, and that's not likely to change.

mikey
12-05-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Mike,

BTW, how did you make out contacting Catales? I tried to call Debi to let you know you'd be calling but her line was busy forever!!! Please keep me posted.

No I have not heard from them. Sent you a PM under Kristyn (doh!). Send a reply to me...

catnapper
12-05-2003, 05:45 AM
I can only speak from my experience...

We had Allen for two years before Pouncer and he was always a sweet cat, but aloof and only loving when he was in the mood for scratchies and rubs... but then you'd better give them to him when he wanted them :)

Then we got Pouncer and Allen turned into a very loving cat and actually purrs more often. He and Pouncer are basically inseperable, and Pouncer craves human cuddling. Allen still isn't a lap cat but he has definately come a looong way.

Two cats are great because they give each other company when humans can't dote on them, and since by their nature, cats are social animals, its good for them. Only my humble opinion created after many hours in front of the Discovery channel watching lions!

I just see that Allen is a far happier and content cat than before... he basiclly seems to have blossomed (if thats possible for a cat to do.)

Keep the pictures coming of that fuzzy guy!

jenluckenbach
12-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Depends on the cat. No one can say for POSITIVE that only good things will happen, each cat has a personality of their own. But I think a 2nd cat is a WONDERFUL idea! The will find that they need each other, but they will still need you.

Lallypop11
12-05-2003, 09:27 AM
I think a second cat will be a wonderful idea, it will provide companionship for Gizmo when you aren't home and a playmate for when you are just too tired or sleeping, not to mention they get great exersise chasing each other around! There will be an adjustment period for the 2 to get used to each other and Gizmo may act strange, but once the adjustment is made, Gizmo will most likely be the same old cat except with a new friend who I'm sure he'll cuddle with a lot. As long as his cuddling with a new cat wouldn't make you jealous, I say go for it, there is enough love to go around! :D

catmandu
12-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Actually , that is the best time to get a kitten , while Gizmo is a kitten , himself , as a kitten is far more open to a new friend , Good Luck , from the Found Cat Hotel.

2kitties
12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Two is MUCH BETTER than one!
My boys are so cute together and they clearly would be lost without one another. They still love and play on me and have their own distinct personalities. But your baby deserves a playmate. Plus, watching them play together is better then anything on tv!

stacwase
12-05-2003, 06:38 PM
My experience was similar to Catnapper's. Since we brought Katie home, Toby is much more affectionate and generally seems like a happier cat. And there aren't a lot of things more heart-warming than watching kitties cuddle.

Randy_K
12-05-2003, 07:04 PM
In Mango's household, the two girls seem to tolerate each other but both are very attached to him. He is the Alpha Cat and dictates what happens in his house.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had two male Abys (two years apart in age) that simply hated each other. For twelve years they hissed at each other every day. Rarely ever fought, though.

CatDad
12-06-2003, 01:34 AM
I agree with Jen, there is not way to be sure of an outcome, but they will still need you and I think they will be happier since they have someone to play with. You relationship with Gizmo will cange to some degree, but it should not be by much.

smokey the elder
12-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Oh, do get another kitten. Cats are like potato chips; you can't have just one.;)