PDA

View Full Version : Poor Luna has clostridia in her colon

Kirsten
12-04-2003, 07:11 AM
It started this summer that Luna had a tendency to develope diarrhea. She's been through several treatments which helped only temporarily, and each time she stopped eating her diet food, she had lose stool again.

Last week, I brought a stool sample to the vet and I got the result today:

An inceased amount of clostridia has been found in her colon; luckily the resistance test has shown there are some very effective antibiotics responding to it. So she's on amoxycillin now for the next 10 days.

Since the diarrhea has started soon after Lily has arrived, there is the possibility that she brought this bacteria into the house, so I need to have her tested as well. She sometimes has a bit of lose stool, but not very often.

But I'm glad I had Luna's stool tested. Untreated, a cat can develope colitis or a toxic megacolon from clostridia, which can be fatal.

My poor Luna girl has really been through a lot this year! :(

Kirsten

catlover4ever
12-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Poor Luna, she really has been through quite a bit this year. I am sending positive thoughts and prayers her way. Tell her the Chartier Cats hope she is feeling better soon.

Paws are also crossed for little Lily, that when she is tested she is OK.

Barbara
12-04-2003, 07:31 AM
I hope Luna is good in taking pills.

Get well soon, little girl:)

cubby31682
12-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Poor Luna, I hope she gets and feels better soon.

Katie

Logan
12-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Get well soon, sweet Luna! :) Kirsten, I am so glad that you are such a diligent mom to Lilly and Luna. Hope you will have this new problem cleared up very soon!!! I think you and the girls deserve a break!!! :D

Logan

Randi
12-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Poor little Luna girl. :( I hope this treatment will get rid of it soon. How is she coping with the pills?

Get well, Luna!

Scritchies, kisses and all paws crossed for her! :)

Twink
12-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Poor sweet little girl. But it's so good that you found what's wrong, so that she can feel better after she takes all of her icky pills.

Feel better soon, lovely Luna, and don't give your mommie a hard time about the pills, ok?

catcrazylady
12-04-2003, 09:10 AM
It's good that you got her tested so you can prevent anything bad happening in the future. Poor baby http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/frown.gif

We are sending good thoughts and prayers for sweet Luna!

Lallypop11
12-04-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm so sorry, I hope she gets better soon! :( I'm sure you'll take good care of her!

catmandu
12-04-2003, 09:31 AM
The Found Cats wish Luna , all the Best , and that thier Friend recoves , and is Happy , once again!

Kirsten
12-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

@Randi: So far, she hasn't got the pills, it's starting tomorrow. Today, she has got an amoxycillin injection at the vet's.

Kirsten

bisi.cat
12-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Oh sweet Luna!!!
I hope you'll be well soon. Please be a good girl and take your pills!!!
Positive thoughts are on the way!!!
Best wishes,
Sabine

Kirsten
12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks! :)
Actually she's not very good in taking pills, she will hate it! :eek

Kirsten

HayleyRosie
12-05-2003, 06:01 AM
I'm sending lots of wishes that Luna will be a better really quick!

12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Aw.......... poor lil Luna....:( Hang in there honey, mommy will take good care of ye!!

stacwase
12-05-2003, 06:50 PM
People get clostridia all the time, too - so be careful!

I don't know if Luna will eat yogurt but if she will, you might want to give her live, active culture yogurt while she's on the antibiotics and for a few days after she gets off them. Antibiotics kill the natural bacteria in the bowels and that also causes diarrhea. The bacteria in the active culture yogurt are the same as the ones which naturally grow in the bowel - that's how it works.

I hope she gets better soon!

catcrazylady
12-05-2003, 09:13 PM
I have heard that about the yogurt. I think Craftlady gives it to Skinny to help with all his bowel problems. I...knock on wood...haven't had to deal with this problem...yet. I wonder if most cats like yogurt http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/tongue.gif

CatDad
12-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Poor Luna. I hope she gets better soon. Bob, myself and especially Joey since she is geting over her stuff and knows how Luna feels.

I hope she is being good and taking her pills.

krazyaboutkatz
12-06-2003, 01:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Luna is sick. :( I sure hope that she gets better soon and is a good girl and takes all of her meds. Hopefully Lily is okay so you won't have to medicate her too. Good luck and please keep us updated.

ChrisH
12-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Poor Luna. :( Hope she is better soon.

Kirsten
12-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone! :) Luna is doing very well with the antibiotics. Of course she hates to take her meds, I more or less have to force her to eat them, but so far it worked. And no diarrhea since! :)

stacwase, that's a good advice, thanks a lot! I didn't know about the joghurt, but it makes some sense - even though I think that in the end, Lily will eat it, not Luna! LOL But it's worth a try! :)

Kirsten