PDA

View Full Version : Death of my two dogs in three days

Richardson48
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
I am so grief stricken right now. I had to put my 16-year-old Lab (Mikki) down on Monday,December 1 due to basically old age. She went very peacefully.

When I woke up this morning (Wednesday, December 3) my 16-year-old Cocker Spaniel (Joker) had died during the night. I have so much guilt because I should have taken him to the vet Tuesday, but he seemed better Tuesday evening. What is so hard is the fact that he was bleeding from his rectum and I don't know how long before he passed. The vet thinks he may of had a tumor. I can only hope that he didn't suffer long. I can't hardly stand the loss of my Joker and the fact that he died in the family room by himself.

I don't know what else to say, except I can't believe I lost both of my beloved pets in three days. The house is so empty. Will the pain ever go away.

wolf_Q
12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Oh I'm so very sorry. I cannot even imagine what you are going through right now. :( Even though you may not have been there at the time of Jokers death, take comfort in knowing he loved you and knew you loved him. Maybe it is best that both went at such near times...right now they are running and playing at the Rainbow Bridge *together.* {{hugs}}

p.s. Welcome to Pet Talk. :)

KYS
12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
How devastating, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :(
The pain does lesson, and memories go on for ever.

Cookiebaker
12-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Richardson, I am so very sorry to hear about your losses. Even though it will take time, your heart will heal and you will find comfort in loving memories of your sweet puppers.

Rest in Peace, Mikki and Joker...play hard at the rainbow bridge and wait for your family.

:(

Cinder & Smoke
12-03-2003, 08:56 PM
So very sorry for your loss :(

Take a bit of comfort knowing that Mikki and Joker
can romp and play together at the Rainbow Bridge.

(If you're not familiar with the Bridge...
visit http://www.petloss.com/ Web Site (http://www.petloss.com/)
It's sure to help ease your pain.

And WELCOME to Pet Talk!
We're so sorry it's at such a sad time...
But you're encouraged to tell us All About the
Wonderful Memories you have of Mikki and Joker.

Rest In Peace, Mikki and Joker.

/s/ :( Phred

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry that it is such sadness that brought you to PT but would like to welcome you.

I can't imagine the pain of lossing two pets so close together, but fear we may have set uourselves up for a similar situation as there isonly 13 months between all three of our dogs (Sadie and Spot are both 3, Cincy 2)

If you can, take comfort inthe fact that they have crossed the bridge together, and will be waiting for you. I'm sure they will send you the perfect friend whenthe time is right, to again fill your home with the pitter patter of puppy paws :)

Sudilar
12-03-2003, 11:36 PM
I am so very sorry for your great loss. How hard it is to lose one of our furbabies, but to lose two at once is unbearable. My heart just breaks for you! The only consolation is that Mikki and Joker are at Rainbow Bridge together, running happy and free again.

Uabassoon
12-03-2003, 11:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. I don't know if you've seen this poem before, buy maybe it will help.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

slick
12-04-2003, 12:00 AM
I'm so sorry for the passing of your two beloved pets. What's worse is that your first post has to be so tragic. I can't even imagine how much pain you must be in, but please try to take comfort in knowing that Mikki and Joker are jumping and running around at the RB and making new friends. They are waiting for you when the time comes and it will be a sweet reunion.

If there is anything else about Mikki and Joker you would love to share with us, we will listen. How did you come to be owned by them?? Were they rescue pups?? Sometimes talking about it can help.

Hugs to you and RIP sweet Mikki and Joker. Say hi to Toshie for me please.

Twisterdog
12-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm so sorry.

:(

I know your heart must be breaking right now.

You gave your dogs sixteen years of life and love. You obviously treated them very well for them to live so long. Perhaps they just wanted to be together again, wherever it is that we all go.

Richardson48
12-04-2003, 06:11 AM
I just woke up from a long night of little sleep. I want to thank everyone for their support during my lost. While it is a comfort, I cried while reading all of your responses.

Slick asked about my Mikki and Joker. Mikki was with us from 2 months of age and she had a great life. Joker was a different story, we took him out of a bad situation at the age of 11. He had severe heartworm, had never been to the vet, and never been neutered. Fortunately, after lots of trips to the vet we were able to cure him of his heartworm. Joker loved me so much, I think it was because I rescued him. I think the most difficult thing for me is the fact that he died by himself in the family room. I only wish I knew how long it was before he died. When I went to bed at 11:00, he was sleeping peacefully, with my cat Kona at his side, we found him at 5:30 in the morning. I can only pray if wasn't long.

Logan
12-04-2003, 07:41 AM
They sound like they were wonderful companions to you, and you to them. Hug Kona a lot. It is amazing what our pets "feel" at times like this. I hope your grieving heart will ease up as the days pass and you will have happy memories of both of your beautiful dogs.

Logan

Rio and Me
12-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Not one but two loss's is terrible but at least joker had a happy ending, he died in a warm cosy loving place where he knew he was loved, and mikki had a long happy live
Ky and Rio

lv4dogs
12-04-2003, 08:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, my fuzzy family & I are sending you our deepest sympothy & lots of fuzzy >:D< 's
I am sure they both knew you loved them dearly & they loved you! They are now healthy happy & together waiting at the bridge for you!

by the way welcome to pet talk

Albea
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Your Pets In Heaven

by Ken D. Conover

"To have loved and then said farewell, is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you have stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss, but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each others lives. My life was fuller because you were there, not as a master/owner, but as my FRIEND.

Today I am as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among the flowers and the Sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump, play and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.

We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever.
You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such as you are so rare and unique.
Don't hold the love that you have within yourself. Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are."

I know how terribly sad you must be right now, and I can't find words of my own to express my sympathy, but I though this poem might help you a bit.
Alicia

tatsxxx11
12-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Dear Richardson. I can only imagine the great sadness and emptiness you are feeling right now and my heart is breaking for you:( A loss as great as yours is almost too painful to imagine and I wish there were words to comfort you. Time does help to heal the hurt and your cherished memories will lift your heart. But please know you are not alone and so many of us here understand what you're feeling right now. Joker knew every moment of his life with you, how very loved he was. You were his rescuer, his hero, his loyal and loving companion. Without you, he would never have known what it meant to be truly loved and those are the memories he took with him to the Rainbow Bridge. I have a feeling that Joker made his trip to the Bridge peacefully, answering his brother's call, with buddy Kona by his side, comforting him. He did not pass alone for you were and are, always with him; your love lives eternal in his heart. Now Mikki and Joker are together again, romping happy and whole and healthy at the Rainbow Bridge patiently waiting for that day you all will be reunited again. Please come here to talk and share your feelings and memories of your babies when you feel up to it. We would love to hear all about them and the wonderful life you shared with them. They were so lucky to have had you as their Mom, their protector, their best friend. Bless you dear, beautiful Mikki and Joker, two precious furangels. Please look out for my Jingles. Love, Sandra

I ONLY WANTED YOU

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could save you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Author unknown
Pet Loss Grief Support (http://www.imom.org/loss/)

tikeyas_mom
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM
i am sending my deep regrets your way, may you heal in time .....

Kfamr
12-04-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm oh so very sorry Richardson. :(

Just remember they are safe, young, and painless now -- awaiting for your arrival.

Welcome to Pet Talk.
{{Hugs to you}} and please tell us some more about yourself.

anna_66
12-07-2003, 08:06 PM
:( Such devistation:(

I can't even begin to know how you feel right now, but know we are very caring people & will be here if you feel the need to talk more.

ramanth
12-08-2003, 10:25 AM
:( :( I'm so sorry for your loss.

gini
12-08-2003, 11:00 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss of your beloved dogs. If we could, we would keep them with us forever.

My heart goes out to you at this very difficult time and I wish I had a magic wand to take away your pain.

16 years old is very old for dogs - which only tells me how well you loved and cared for these pups.

They will always be with you and a part of you. Look inside your heart - they haven't departed - they are just resting peacefully thanks to your love and care.

countrycowgirl
12-08-2003, 07:09 PM
i am sorry for your loss. :( me and my furkids send our send you our deepest sympthney. from little bit, roxy, chewie

Pam
12-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Richardson48
I think the most difficult thing for me is the fact that he died by himself in the family room.

My deepest condolences go out to you. I know the pain must be unbearable right now. My standard poodle, Whitney, also died alone by herself. I had left for work in the morning and she was fine and after work she was gone. :( The vet felt it was a heart attack. We are never ready to say goodbye to these wonderful pets who fill our lives with so much love, but I do feel that the regret over not being with a beloved pet at their time of deepest need is the most gut wrenching feeling of all. I felt like I let her down in some way. Whitney has been gone now for over 7 years and I still feel the pain of finding her on the sofa that evening as if it was just last week. (((Hugs))) to you at this very, very sad time. We are here for you if you need to talk.

PUPGIRL
01-04-2004, 07:26 PM
In times like these, it's really hard to look on the bright side but it helps. Try to think about things like at least they lived a long, happy life and that they can play together in heaven. Just image if the other dog was all alone wondering where his playmate, that might have been even more heartbreaking. Don't worry, I doubt it's your fault he died. It was just time... You can't fight it, it's just the way it is.