PDA

View Full Version : Doggy Vitamins?

My Peanuts
12-03-2003, 02:07 PM
I see in a lot of catalogs doggy vitamins. I had a somewhat bad experience with them with my Shih Tzu Angie. When she was a pup the vet put her on vitamins, but when we brought her to another vet he took her off of them. The second vet said they were just sugar! :mad: All the extra energy my puppy had was from sugar and not vitamins. Do any of you use Vitamins? Which Kind? Should Sylvia be on anything special while she is in heat? Also Sylvia is getting spayed right after her heat, Should she take anything to prepare her for surgery? Thanks for any help.

K9soul
12-03-2003, 02:23 PM
My vet told me awhile back that really if they are on the proper diet they should not need vitamins, unless there is some particular health condition that might merit it. I have no idea on different kinds of vitamins and supplements really, and what is good versus what isn't. I do see a TON of different kinds in catalogs and pet stores too.

wolfsoul
12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Vitamins are pointless unless your dog is on a homemade diet and needs supplements. A dog food does lose alot of it's vitamins in processing, but there should still be enough in there for a dog to be healthy. :) I give my rats supplements every once in a while, but only when I feel that I haven't fed them enough food that day with that certain vitamin in it.