PDA

View Full Version : Puppies - 2 of them - Need Advice

cathypede
12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
I have a 4.5 month old male cocker spaniel, his name is Bandit. He will be getting a little sister on December 12. Anyone have advice on how to handle this transition? Bandit is already spoiled rotten but I want him to have a companion for when my husband and I are at work. Bandit is already neutered and Bessie will be when she gets older.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

Puppylover_4_ever
12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
I gotta tell you now... It will be a challenge my cock-a-poo was spoined too when I got Oreo (a lab mix). It took a few months, but now they are angels :) You just have to be patient with them. But, all dogs are different. Maybe they will get along without needing any help.

binka_nugget
12-03-2003, 04:48 PM
I'd recommend letting them meet on neutral ground. That is, not at your house but maybe at a park. Since your current dog is still young, it may be easier to teach him to get along with your new dog. And make sure you keep up with your current routine. If he sleeps in a certain area, don't change it. Keep things the same for him. Also, make sure both get seperate alone time with you and bonding time together. Good luck.

aly
12-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Since you're introducing two puppies, you will have different challanges than if you were introducing two adults.

There are two red flags that stick out at me when someone says they have more than one puppy. The first is concerns about the puppies overbonding. This is especially a concern for littermates. If the puppies overbond, they may decide you're not interesting and won't listen to a word you say. To prevent this, do not allow the puppies to be together 24/7. Make sure they get plenty of time apart and also that you spend individual time with each of them.

The second concern is rivalry. Since they are so close in age, it would be best if there is a considerable size and gender difference. The least they have in common (size, age, gender), the greater chance of a peaceful household you'll have.

I'd recommend taking each one through a Puppy Kindegarten class to ensure you build a bond with the new puppy and strengthen your bond with Bandit.

bunyfoofoo
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
I'd recommend letting them meet on neutral ground. That is, not at your house but maybe at a park.

i agree with that. and also i would have to say make sure he doesnt think you replacing him and also spend as much time as you had before with him. so he doesnt think that u are leaving him.

cathypede
12-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Thank you all for your advice.
c