PDA

View Full Version : Madison Pet Ordinance to limit pets to 5 *YOUR ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED!*

Kater
12-03-2003, 01:21 AM
On December 1st the Public Health Department met to propose an ordinance that would limit the number of dogs and cats harbored, sheltered or possessed in the City of Madison to five.

There were just over two dozen individuals there opposing the proposition. About a dozen of us spoke. Luckily, we were provided with a copy of the ordinance by someone who had a "mole" who got it out to her so we could read it ahead of time, otherwise we would have been flying blind.

This thing does have legs, it was a well drafted ordinance for a committee that claimed to be just having a discussion on this matter for the first time.

The problem was this. Nowhere in the ordinance did it state the purpose behind the proposition and we were all instructed that we had to speak first....THEN the committee spoke about why they wanted this.

So we made our points "blind", then they got to talk (and pictures were passed around to the committee of houses of hoarders and the deplorable conditions and how much time and money that city is spending to deal with these people hence concluding we need this ordinance). We the opposers were not permitted to respond to the committee’s discussion. This was very frustrating as none of those horrible cases were instances of less than 35 animals that she brought up...hence, why the number 5? We don't know.

For the first time ever, the opposers who spoke were much more tactical and less emotional than the person proposing the ordinance.

NBC 15 and a local radio station were present for a time during the dissenters forum. It was great that they cared enough to be there.

To make a long story short...WE ARE NOT OUT OF THE WOODS BY A LONGSHOT. They want to defer the discussion until January's meeting. They want the author of the proposition to come up with numbers. They want to perhaps form a subcommittee on the issue. All of us there felt that there was (and is) something that is being kept from us. Some support, some other purpose...something.

We need to show more than a couple of dozen people and eleven e-mails, folks. The language states that anyone found in violation will be fined between $20 and $200 and their animals will be seized. That is serious language!

The meeting will be the first Monday in January.

We need most importantly FACTS AND FIGURES. If anyone has any knowledge of how other cities deal with hoarders without limiting responsible pet owners or has access to information on neglect / abuse cases in the City of Madison (as the cases we believe are all well over the arbitrary number that is being proposed)...we need to gather data by the first Monday in January.

They used the fact that other communities have pet limits. It would be great if someone knows of hoarder cases in communities where there was already existing pet limitation ordinances in place that would be very powerful as we could prove that limiting the number of animals in household does not solve the problem.

The best the proposer could come up with was that this devalues the home because of the smell and bothers people who have to walk past these houses. She could not provide any evidence that even homes of hoarders present a public health risk.

To summarize:
* Where have similar ordinances been repealed or abandoned? Why? Can we get any statements from officials in those communities about why the ordinances failed there?
* Where are similar ordinances in effect now? What's happening there?

This is a very scary proposal! Here at PT we all know a LOT of people who are permanent guardians of more than five animals, and who take wonderful care of them! Then, there are people who have one dog tied up in the back yard 24/7. In short, it's not about the number of animals. Yeah, the exceptional case of the 50-cat collector makes it seem that way, but those cases are indeed the exception. Unfortunately they're the cases that get the most attention.

So who can help me gather data on their city/county? It would be much appreciated!!! I am willing to do some of the research if you can just give me some 'leads.' I realize many of you may be too busy to find the documentation yourselves, so I can do that!

So feel free to post here or PM me!

tatsxxx11
12-03-2003, 08:57 AM
I live in a semi-rural area with a strong "yankee" tradition of personal responsibiliity and individual rights. Many people here own horses, goats, sheep, chickens and even bison in addition to their household pets! We have a town meeting based form of local govt. and weekly, our selectman's meetings are televised and well attended. People here really do speak their minds and their opinions are well heeded. When a proposition such as this comes up, it is voted on at town meeting (held twice yearly, with "special" meetings held as needed) and each and every citizen of the town in entitled to vote to approve/disapprove such proposals. The proposition is openly discussed and anyone is free to stand up and speak their opinion. The meetings sometimes go on until the wee hours of the morning in order to allow everyone who wants to be heard, to be heard! The only companion animal restrictions we have here is that the number of dogs per houshold is limited to 3. More than that and a kennel license is requred. All cats and dogs must be licensed and show proof of rabies vaccination. There is no limit on the number of cats or other pets. Luckily, we also have a very diligent, caring and proactive animal control officer who assures the safety and well being of all our companion animals. Cruelty, abuse and neglect are reported and in cases where the animals' safety is question, (such as too many to be cared for properly) action is taken, beginning with counseling and education. I will try and get further documentation on our companion animal laws/restrictions and share them with you! It sounds as though a few "rotten apples" are spoiling it for everyone, Kater!:mad:

Logan
12-03-2003, 09:26 AM
I wish your area could be more like Sandra's, Kater. Of course, in our area, there are NO restrictions, which at times can be pretty bad. :eek: There has to be a happy medium somewhere. (fingers crossed)

Kater
12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
If anyone has read good articles by mental health professionals describing the 'hoarding personality type' (thus proving that this is a people problem not an animal problem), we could use these articles! Much research has been done on cases of animal hoarders, who typically live in filth, and the research demonstrates that these 'hoarders' typically suffer from OCD and other serious mental illness.

I will try to find some articles myself --- but I'd appreciate any help!

Sandra - thank you so much for looking for that documentation!
Logan - yes, I'm praying that a 'happy medium' is found! This is just ridiculous! :mad: