PDA

View Full Version : cats die in garage- sad

babolaypo65
12-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Garage Full of Dead Cats Found in Indiana

December 2, 2003:

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- Officers wearing oxygen tanks to protect themselves from the stench removed 49 dead cats from a garage where they had died while waiting for a woman to find them new homes, authorities said.

Some of the cages in Kathy Shotsberger's garage belonged to officials in Jasper County who had given the woman dogs and cats under the belief she would find new owners for the animals, said LaPorte County Animal Control Director Jane Bernard.

Police who removed the dead animals on Sunday said the 45-year-old Michigan City woman, who described herself as an animal lover, apparently became overwhelmed by the number of animals in her care.

"She was just bringing them into the garage and basically letting them die," Bernard said.

Prosecutors charged Shotsberger with seven counts of animal neglect. Each count is punishable by up to six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

The Associated Press was unable to contact Shotsberger for comment Tuesday because there was no number under her name in published listings for Michigan City.

Police were first called to the home Friday by a neighbor who heard yelling from inside the home while looking for a missing dog. Officers noticed a stench from inside the house, but no one answered the door. After they were called a second time Saturday, police obtained a search warrant and returned on Sunday.

They found cages full of dead cats, birds and rabbits stacked throughout the garage, which was littered with urine, feces, maggots and flies. In a nearby modular home, officers found 29 live animals, mostly beagles, inside cages or locked in rooms with floors soaked in waste.

The urine and feces left many of the animals that survived with burns and other skin conditions, Bernard said.

The county health department condemned the home for unsanitary conditions.
-----------------------------

G.P.girl
12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
There are some sick people in this world. that's all i can say.:mad:

Tonya
12-03-2003, 07:07 AM
That is unbelievable! You've got to have head problems to let your "animal rescue" get that out of control.

ramanth
12-03-2003, 10:26 AM
:( :mad:

wolfsoul
12-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Only 6 months and $5000?!! I say she should get waaaay more than that!

bluekat
12-03-2003, 05:13 PM
What's the point of taking in that many when you can't even take care of them?:( Very sad:(:(:(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Only 6 months and $5000?!! I say she should get waaaay more than that!

It said each count being each of the 49 cats is worth 6 months and $5000. That equals 29.5 years in prison, $245,000.

dukedogsmom
12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Maybe the next stench they smell will be her. How can anyone claim to be an animal lover when they're like that? Burns me up.

moosmom
12-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Okay, I may get bashed here, but I've got something to say.

First of all, as MANY of you know, I've worked in animal rescue for the last 7 years. And, I can say that it is very EASY to get into a predicament like that one. I can also understand how overwhelmed she felt as I have been in that kind of position (although not with THAT many animals in my care). Some people think that they are doing the animals a huge favor by taking them in rather than letting them go to a shelter and faith euthanasia. The difference is that most people KNOW what their limits are. This woman definitely had a problem.

Do I think she should be fined and sentenced?? Fined, maybe. Jail, no. I think she needs help in the form of counselling, absolutely!! I really don't think that putting this woman in jail because of what she believed was doing the right thing will serve any purpose. Go after the stupid irresponsible pet owners that fling their cats out of car windows, drown their unwanted kittens in the river, leave their dogs outside all year long without food, water or shelter. Those are the REAL criminals.

Until you've walked in the shoes of people who rescue animals, have seen and heard the horror stories, and have worked with feral cats and kittens to gain humans trust, try not to be too quick to judge.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Tonya
12-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Okay, I may get bashed here, but I've got something to say.

First of all, as MANY of you know, I've worked in animal rescue for the last 7 years. And, I can say that it is very EASY to get into a predicament like that one. Some people think that they are doing the animals a huge favor by taking them in rather than letting them go to a shelter and faith euthanasia. The difference is t people KNOW what their limits are. This woman definitely had a problem.

Do I think she should be fined and sentenced?? Fined, maybe. Jail, no. I think she needs help in the form of counselling, absolutely!! I really don't think that putting this woman in jail because of what she believed was doing the right thing will serve any purpose. Go after the stupid irresponsible pet owners that fling their cats out of car windows, drown their unwanted kittens in the river, leave their dogs outside all year long without food, water or shelter. Those are the REAL criminals.

Until you've walked in the shoes of people who rescue animals, have seen and heard the horror stories, and have worked with feral cats and kittens to gain humans trust, try not to be too quick to judge.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Those are some good points, Moosmom

Twisterdog
12-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Hoarding is a psychological disease, just like schitzophrenia or paranoia. This is not something this woman chose, anymore than someone chooses to be bi-polar or depressed.

What this woman needs is counseling, help, perhaps medication. Hoarders genuinely believe they are helping. They are always the last to know how far in over their heads they are. They do not see it, period.

I've seen many case of animal hoarding over the years. It is a tragedy ... for the animals, to be sure, but also for the person. These people seem to never have a social network, backup or help. Just like the mentally disable person living under a bridge and eating garbage ... society has failed these people. And, having failed to see and care and act, we then only want to punish. To what end? Fine her? She probably can't pay it. Maybe they'll take her possessions to pay the fine, garnish her wages. What does that solve? Put her in jail? That won't help. She will come out of jail with the same illness she went in with, and in less than a week, she'll "save" another cat.

She needs help. Real help. All hoarders do. All mentally ill people do.

wolfsoul
12-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Hoarders genuinely believe they are helping. They are always the last to know how far in over their heads they are. They do not see it, period.

That's true. My grandma believes "As long as you're alive, you're fine." But who wants to be alive and suffering at the same time? She says "I love them too much." And I'm sure they love her too. But she doesn't realize that love isn't going to keep you healthy and happy.

Geez I'm glad hoarding doesn't run in the family lol. :p