PDA

View Full Version : IDIOT in charge of faith-based initiatives

Prairie Purrs
12-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Here are some excerpts from an online chat with James Towey, White House Deputy Assistant to the President and Director, Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. The full text can be found here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20031126.html

Colby, from Centralia MO writes:
Do you feel that Pagan faith based groups should be given the same considerations as any other group that seeks aid?

Jim Towey
I haven't run into a pagan faith-based group yet, much less a pagan group that cares for the poor! Once you make it clear to any applicant that public money must go to public purposes and can't be used to promote ideology, the fringe groups lose interest. Helping the poor is tough work and only those with loving hearts seem drawn to it.

Rob, from Chicago writes:
Why can't my Muslim brothers and sisters participate as easily in this Administration's faith based initiatives? Most of the people I know who have any association with the Muslim faith are being harrassed, not helped or supported, at this time.

Jim Towey
Muslims are welcomed to participate in this initiative. The issue isn't whether a group believes in God or not but whether their program works. So the faith-based initiative isn't faith-specific. I think America needs to do all it can to avoid religious rivalry and competition -that is the beauty of our heritage of pluralism.

So, basically, this jerk is assuming that Wiccans and other Pagans lack "loving hearts" and are only interested in promoting ideology? And he's suggesting that Muslims don't believe in God?

As a Wiccan, I'm offended and I'm angry. I know many Pagans who do a great deal of charitable work--and I don't know any who do that work as an excuse to promote their religion. In fact, I don't know any Wiccans who evangelize or recruit non-Wiccans. So, in essence, we have a high government official who (1) doesn't understand the first thing about Pagan religions and (2) has basically announced his intent to discriminate against Pagan groups in handing out government funding.

And he may be giving lip service to an "open door" policy for Muslim groups, but do you really expect fair treatment from someone who thinks that Muslims don't believe in God? Just what standards do you think he'll use to determine whether a program "works"?

Looks to me like this administration is going to use their faith-based initiatives program as an excuse to line the pockets of right-wing, fundamentalist Christian organizations at the expense of taxpayers and the First Amendment.

Soledad
12-02-2003, 07:55 PM
I just can't believe you're surprised. These people are so transparent about these things.

Prairie Purrs
12-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I just can't believe you're surprised. These people are so transparent about these things.

I'm not surprised--just furious over their arrogance.

Soledad
12-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did. :o

I just don't really put too much past this administration.:rolleyes:

popcornbird
12-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Anyone thinking Muslims don't believe in God cannot be more stupid and ignorant and DUMB! Muslims don't believe in God? HAH! That makes me LAUGH! The whole Islamic faith is BASED on the concept of One God. If you don't believe in God, you can NEVER call yourself a Muslim, cause that takes you out of the first and basic fundamental of the religion. :rolleyes:

Either way, I don't take what the guy said seriously. There are a lot of stupid people in this world these days. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, we have a lot of idiots in charged of things they shouldn't be in charged of in this world as well. This guy is no exception.

ramanth
12-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
As a Wiccan, I'm offended and I'm angry. I know many Pagans who do a great deal of charitable work--and I don't know any who do that work as an excuse to promote their religion. In fact, I don't know any Wiccans who evangelize or recruit non-Wiccans.
You know one more too. :D ;)

As long as religions and faiths exist there will always be ignorant people on all sides.

Infuriating isn't it. *HUGS*

Even more so that this person is supposed to be representing all the faith based groups for the government. *ack!!!*

amoore
12-05-2003, 08:18 AM
I agree with you, CatsinDenver 100%.

mahayana
12-06-2003, 07:40 AM
My feeling is that the whole "faith-based initiative" program is a violation of the Constitution.

Rather than line up for tax dollars, (Churches already have a huge tax benefit by being exempt from paying property tax, income tax, etc), I think really thoughtful believers should emulate Christ and throw these money-changers out of the Temple!

Our President should contribute to programs he likes with his own money, not that of the tax-payers.

smokey the elder
12-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Faith based intiatives sponsored by the government make me very nervous.

The "tribe" (group of people working together as a community) should take care of their own and leave the Gov't out of it.

As far as Pagans go, I think many are still "in the broom closet" because there is still centuries old hangovers from the Burning Times.