PDA

View Full Version : Bells on the Christmas Tree

prechrswife
12-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Somewhere I read that a good way to help monitor pets' interactions with the Christmas tree is to hang bells on the lower branches. That way, when your cat or dog gets under the tree, the bells ring and you know what is going on. We have tried this, and it does help. The cats approach the tree to play with the "forbidden cat toys", the bell rings, we come and find the spray bottle. (I don't think we have actually had to spray anyone since the first day. The thought of it is enough for them.) Just wanted to share since this has worked well for us.

P.S. I may be repeating something that I read on this board, but I did a search and couldn't locate it.

cubby31682
12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
I bought bells that play songs, and are tree rotates now. If I turn the bells on Cubby runs as fast as he can into the bedroom. They are kind of loud. After I leave them on for about 30 minutes or so he starts to come around again. He will not go any where near the tree when it is rotating or when the bells are on. If the tree just has the lights on and not moving he will lay under it and bat at some of the ornaments. I turned the tree on the other day I didn't see him under there but he got a little scared when the tree started moving and he ran to the couch.

I paid 90$ for my musical bells (I call them my jingle bells) and that is how we keep Cubby away from the tree. We don't turn the bells on very much they will give you a head ache after a few hours because they are very loud.

Katie

P.S. I'm glad you found something to keep your cats away from your tree.

sirrahbed
12-02-2003, 09:37 AM
That sounds like a good idea! I had never heard of that one!!

amoore
12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks, I will try that!

NoahsMommy
12-02-2003, 03:46 PM
I can just see it....EIGHT cats under our tree...seeking out a bell to attack! My cats LOVE bells and someohow I think it'd turn into a game.

ha ha....I can just see it now. :)

prechrswife
12-03-2003, 09:20 AM
I can just see it....EIGHT cats under our tree...seeking out a bell to attack! My cats LOVE bells and someohow I think it'd turn into a game.

LOL!:D I can just picture that. Fortunately, our 3 haven't really played with bells. I can see where that could cause a problem, though.

Dusty

Twink
12-03-2003, 09:52 AM
A brilliant idea! Now all I need is a way to monitor the bells while I'm at work, and some manner of remote-control spraying mechanism... ;)