PDA

View Full Version : What type of tree?

RubyMutt
12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
For those of you who put up Christmas trees, I was just curious which type of tree you have and/or prefer. Artificial or live?

When I was younger one of my favorite traditions was going out to a tree farm and picking out a live tree. I loved the smell of the tree in our house :) However, it was always an experience getting the tree onto the car and then into the living room :o Around 5 years ago my parents decided to buy a fake tree. I was not happy about it at the time, but now I love it. We don't have to water it, no vacuuming up pesky needles, and no more sappy hands after putting up the ornaments! :D Plus, if a branch isn't positioned how you like, you can just move it! I thought an artificial tree would look really 'fakey', but it doesn't. Most people are surprised when we tell them the tree is a fake. The only downside is I miss the pine smell. We light a bunch of pine scented Yankee candles, they're nice, but it's not *exactly* the same.

wolfsoul
12-01-2003, 08:05 PM
I like live trees better, because I love the smell. We have a fake tree, and it looks like a live tree, but no pine scent. :( My mom complained too much about going out and cutting down a tree in the cold weather and how the ones in the stores are too expensive blah blah blah so her boyfriend finally gave in and bought an artifical. :(

primabella
12-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I don't think we have ever had a live tree but now that we have Mickey, we don't put up our big tree anymore. Just a small one that goes up next to the couch. I don't mind, as long as we have a tree. :)

I remember my favorite things to do was to put the decorations up on the Christmas tree. It really got me into the Christmas spirit and even when I was younger, I remember I would belt out Christmas songs just to make it funner. Lol.

wolf_Q
12-01-2003, 08:08 PM
We've had both...We just bought a new artificial tree this year. I prefer artificial...less mess!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-01-2003, 08:08 PM
We have an artificial tree. I think with our old dog, Benny, a real tree... was a problem. Our tree is fine. I think I have a pic of it... hang on.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-01-2003, 08:25 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p53b3f4a7d4553bd1769c451cf985bd4a/fc638871.jpg

This is the best pic I have of it. But yeah, it's overflowing with ornaments, we get like 4 or 5 more each year, it adds up!

Kfamr
12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Artificial.

Had it for years.

Dogz
12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
We usually get a live tree. I would like an artificial tree, less mess.:) But like Jordan said, I love the smell.

micki76
12-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I prefer artificial...less mess!

Me too. I hate the mess of pine needles. Seems like Easter before you see the last of them!

Dogz
12-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Me too. I hate the mess of pine needles. Seems like Easter before you see the last of them!

Or later!:eek:

PepperRSM
12-01-2003, 09:35 PM
We get a live one every year, I love the scent too. :D

Kfamr
12-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Eeep.. Our fake one sheds alot of it's "needles" too.

Kater
12-01-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm special....
We have our Christmas tree growing in a pot! :D
We keep it outdoors most of the year and then bring it in for Christmas!
No pine smell though as it is a Norfolk Pine. :(

Looks like this....
http://www.silkplantscanada.com/Plants/LPSL34-GR-6'%20Norfolk%20Pine.jpg

Oooh...funny thing....when we had the outside of our house repainted a few years ago the painters dripped some white paint on half of the tree....haha...we pretend it's fake snow.... :p

Yeah, we've got a tree with Person-al-li-ty!

RubyMutt
12-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Eeep.. Our fake one sheds alot of it's "needles" too.

Our's too :o After we got it all set up this year there were quite a few needles on the floor. At least it won't keep it up!

andrea_NMAggie
12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
i've always wanted a live tree, but have always had an artificial one. i've always had the fear of the 'christmas tree fire'. i know, i know...you water the tree and alas, no fire...i'm always the worry-wart though...

FurMomx6
12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
We have an artificial tree but we go and get a few branchs from a real tree and put them in our fake tree and it makes it smell good. I like the artificials the best because you dont have to worry about cleaning up the needles and they last a lot longer.

CatDad
12-02-2003, 11:38 PM
We have always have an artificial one.

The girlfriend is alergic to real ones.

Uabassoon
12-03-2003, 12:49 AM
I like live trees, I just love the smell. But right now no tree for me because Corkscrew and Tibby would destroy it.

Kiia
12-03-2003, 09:47 AM
I voted artifical because that's all I ever had, my aunt did have a real one many years ago. It made the house smell really nice.

About 2 years ago we bought an artificial one with the fiber optic lights. It's very pretty and you don't have to wrestle with having to put the lights on it, LOL. :D

Logan
12-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Live, always. :)

lovemyshiba
12-03-2003, 11:20 AM
We always get a live tree--I've never had an artificial one. My mom and dad both always had real ones, and I get real ones too.
Last year Kito and Abbey were fine with it, we'll have to see how the other ones do this year:)

12-03-2003, 12:12 PM
We used to have an artificial tree here. But 2 years ago, I discovered something marvelous!! There are now trees available that do NOT loose their needles!! Truth!! The needles are a bit thicker than the usual, and I can swear I didn't find a single needle on the floor, not even after 4 weeks!! Great hey :) :) :)

ramanth
12-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I voted that we have an artificial tree up (at my parents) but I prefer the live ones.

My mom is allergic to pine though, so we almost always had an artificial tree up. We did have a live tree when I was very young for a few Christmas'.

I'm going to put up a little 3 foot artificial tree in my apartment. No room for anything bigger.

Samantha Puppy
12-03-2003, 01:35 PM
We had an artificial tree until my senior year in high school. Then I insisted on getting my first real one and we haven't gone back since - mostly because of me. I love real ones. My parents may go back to artificial next year when I'm not in the house, but I'll be keeping up my new tradition of having a live tree with my husband for our first Christmas married!! :)

catland
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I've always had a live one. There are a lot of u-cut tree farms around here so we cut our own. I absolutely love the smell.

If the weather is really bad then the trees closer to the car start looking better and better...;)

2kitties
12-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Live! Accept no substitutes!

wolfsoul
12-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I prefer artificial...less mess!
Our artificial tree actually makes even more mess than a real one! :eek: And the material it is made out of is this tough paper that doesn't rip. It gets stuck in the carpet and on staticy (sp?) clothes.

dukedogsmom
12-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I didn't do the pole because I prefer a real one but put up a fake one. Once in a while, I get a real one. But, I love leaving mine up all through January :) So, a fake one wouldn't last that long.