PDA

View Full Version : My friend passed away

Tonya
12-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Lee passed away on Thanksgiving. We visited him the day before. He was pretty worn out, but in good spirits. His death was quick and painless. Thank you all for your support.

Thomas Shahen

May 17, 1946 -- Nov. 27, 2003

Thomas "Lee" Shahen, 57, of Denair died Thursday at his home.

Mr. Shahen was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and lived in Denair 17 years and previously in Turlock 10 years. He served in the Army during the Vietnam War, and was a splicing technician for Southwestern Bell Corp. for 32 years. He enjoyed golf, music and playing the piano.

He is survived by his wife, Phyllis Shahen of Denair; children, Marcus Shahen of Modesto, Troy Shahen of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Kelly McBride of Fort Riley, Kan.; brother, Timothy Shahen of Albuquerque, N.M.; sister, Patricia Shahen of Falls Church, Va.; and one grandchild.

A funeral will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Allen Mortuary, Turlock. Burial at Turlock Memorial Park. Visitation from 1 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the mortuary.

jenluckenbach
12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
I am VERY sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I am glad that you got to visit the day before. Those are some of the memories that will always stay with you.

Tonya
12-01-2003, 03:46 PM
BTW, here's the previous thread for those that missed it. You all actually helped me more then you know to keep myself level headed and my spirits up.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37365&highlight=urgent

ramanth
12-01-2003, 03:47 PM
My sincerest condolences on your loss. :(
*hugs*

Tonya
12-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Also, I can't find the thread...but just so you all know. Lee threw himself a huge retirement/goodbye party on the 15th. He was wheelchair bound, but beside that, he was laughing and happy. I couldn't think of a better way to go. It was cheerful and tons of people showed.

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2003, 03:53 PM
:(

Rest In Eternal Peace, Lee.

Please pass along our Pet Talk Sympathies to
Phyllis, the Kids, and all the other Family Members.

{{{Hugs}}} to you, Tonya...
Try to remember all the Many GOOD Times you shared with Lee.

/s/ Phred

Samantha Puppy
I'm very sorry to hear that Lee lost his battle, but I'm glad he went out painlessly and happy. That is the way you should always remember him. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lee's family.

PayItForward
Thinking of you and his family. :(

Quick and painless must be the way to go.

PS. Did you make him a flower bouquet out of telephone wires ?
(Cos you promised us, a photo of your art if you had time to make one)

slick
Tonya, I'm so sorry for Lee's passing and it was a blessing that it was quick. Hugs to you Tonya.

(sorry, but I just read L4M thread about Thor's passing and I'm at a loss for words right now.)

Too many sad things happening.

primabella
12-01-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm so sorry Tonya. He sounded like a wonderful man.

RIP Lee. :(

lovemyshiba
12-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Lee sounded like a terrific man, may he rest in peace.

My condolences are with you, and with his family during this sad time.

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Lee threw himself a huge retirement/goodbye
party on the 15th.

... he was laughing and happy.
I couldn't think of a better way to go.
It was cheerful and tons of people showed.

Here's the link to

Lee's Party (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37980&highlight=friend)

Miss Meow
12-01-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm so sorry.

I'm glad he managed to have his 'farewell' party and catch up with everyone before he passed away. I'm sure there'll be a lot of great stories at the funeral on Wednesday. Hugs to you and his family.

Tonya
12-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Thinking of you and his family. :(

Quick and painless must be the way to go.

PS. Did you make him a flower bouquet out of telephone wires ?
(Cos you promised us, a photo of your art if you had time to make one)

Yes, I did. I made flowers out of wire and then had a florist incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet. I was to distraught that day to take a picture of it. My co-workers say that they got pictures, so hopefully I will get one from them soon.

Tonya
12-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Thank you, everyone for your condolences. I feel better now, knowing that Lee is at peace and no longer suffering.

PayItForward
12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Yes, I did. I made flowers out of wire and then had a florist incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet. I was to distraught that day to take a picture of it. My co-workers say that they got pictures, so hopefully I will get one from them soon.
Sounds beautiful, I bet he loved it. A thoughtful gift.

tatsxxx11
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Oh Tonya, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news:( What a very special man he was and how great the loss for his family, friends and co-workers. My heartfelt and most sincere condolences to you; you must be heartbroken:( {{{HUGS}}}

lynnestankard
12-01-2003, 04:55 PM
So sorry to hear of Lee's sad death Tonya. {{{Hugs}}} across the miles.

Lynne

captain
12-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Tonya,
{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}} across the miles.

Kiia
12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I am very sorry to hear this. :( My deepest sympathies.

KYS
12-01-2003, 06:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Lee.
Hugs Karen

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Tonya ~

You and the Guys At Work will probably be sending a rememberance
to the funeral home for calling hours...

I finished my telephone wire bouquet.
I wound up taking a dozen wire flowers to a florist.
I had her incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet.
Instead of a card, I used one of our tags that we
always use to tag our cables.

What you did for his Party (the Wire Bouquet, above) would be
an Excellent presentation for his Final Tribute...

Another Wire Bouquet with Live or Silk Flowers added;
and then have each one of the Crew Sign the Cable Tag below
a few Kind Words...

If you or one of the Guys can deliver it to the funeral home
prior to calling hours -
you will have the opportunity to speak with the Funeral Director.
When they KNOW that an arrangement has Special Significance to
the Family, they will take extra care to display it near the casket
so that it doesn't get *lost* from view.

And - be sure to ask that they Send It Home with a Family Member.

{{Hugs}}}

/s/ Phred

Tonya
12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
That's a great idea! Thank you. I'll talk to the guys about it tomorrow morning.

mugsy
12-01-2003, 07:03 PM
The Kendalls send our sympathies. I'm glad he went painlessly. Please pass our condolences to his family.

dukedogsmom
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear about that. I know how deeply you cared for him. He's no longer in pain and I'm sure he knows how much you cared for him. I'm glad you made the flower boquet. That was very sweet of you to do.

trayi52
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Sorry to hear of your friend Lee's death, I hope you are doing okay. It is hard to lose a friend, I know.

Tray

popcornbird
12-02-2003, 02:47 AM
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I know it must be so very difficult. :(:(

anna_66
12-02-2003, 07:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Tonya. You and the family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Tonya. Try to take comfort in the memories of the good times. (((HUGS))). Your are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kater
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm so sorry, Tonya. Words escape me but just know that Lee, his family and friends are all in my prayers.
{{{HUGS}}}

Tonya
12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi, everyone. I just got back from Lee's funeral. Gosh, I love that guy. His retirement party was the 15th (knowing that we was dying). He took the pictures from the party and made a collage with them on posterboard. He signed them thanking everyone for their support. He also wrote up somethings that he wanted his sister to tell us at his funeral. One of them was insisting on a PARTY at his house after the burial. lol. He pretty much planned the whole thing out.

When I first walked in, his son was handing out Mentos. He goes "Here's a mentos from my dad." I thought that was strange until his son spoke later. I'd never really given it much thought, but Lee always had Mentos in his front shirt pocket. According to his son, it was also in his bedroom, in his car, in the cupboard. He was hooked on the candy. Well, apparently last night, his son went to put a jacket on and found Mentos in the pocket from the last time his dad had worn it. He felt it was a sign from his dad, so we all had a Mentos together.

Us SBC employees had flowers made in SBC colors that we all dropped on the casket. Things went nicely.

His wife was such a sweetheart, she tried her hardest to keep humor. Like when she was talking, she started laughing and goes "I'm staring at this paper like I am actually reading it."

captain
12-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Tonya,

That sounds so touching! Amazing that he planned it before hand, and the fact that everyone seemed to keep their humour on such a sad occasion.

A true testament to the man .......:)

RobiLee
12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. You and his family are in my thoughts.

Robin