PDA

View Full Version : Laboratory Dog

Paul
04-16-2001, 12:52 PM
   I friend of mine just adopted a five year old beagle from a laboratory setting. I only met him for a few minutes but he seems to think that all human contact is a prelude to something bad.

When I looked at him he started to tremble. After a while I gently reached out to touch him. He was just submissive. He has toys but does not know what they are. He is afraid of the sound of ordinary traffic. He is learning what things like stairs, carpet, and grass are. I don't think he knows his name.

Does anyone know of any good resources for someone who has just adopted a former laboratory dog?

wolflady
04-16-2001, 02:38 PM
Bless your friend's heart for rescuing that precious beagle. I didn't know that one could adopt a lab animal. Oh, what a terrible life that must have been!! I don't know of any resources for adopting lab animals, but I would think that socializing this dog and building his confidence would be similar to a dog that came from a very abusive (or neglected) environment. Lots of time and caring and patience too. Let us know what happens! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Corinna
04-16-2001, 11:58 PM
I have never tried to reabilitate a lab. animal , but with my abused ones . I found that SLOW is the way to go . your friend should get the animal to trust him first of all , he should show that he will protect the dog from harm. then short walks out side when the least amount of contact with traffic or people . if the dog is curious let him investagate. then slowly ad more stimuli be added. It can take a long time, I worked on 2 chows 2 years before any one but family could be in the house with them, and then only when introduced and when a family member was in the room. Your freind I hope has the patience of Job cuz thats what it takes to get these guys semi normal (some never do)
A good book I don't know if it"s still in print ( I used it till I lost it in a flood) is "how to live with a nerotic dog" I don't remeber the author but it helped me tons. Most is still in my head. Slow and Never rush ahead till total confidence is there. Good luck and you can e-mail me at [email protected] if you need any tips. Corinna

Fuzzy317
04-17-2001, 03:00 AM
Barnes and Noble have that book Corinna talked about "How to Live with a Neurotic Dog" by Stephen Baker and Fred Hilliard. A search on barnesandnoble.com found the book, for $7.99 in stock, and can be shipped within 24 hours. You may not find it in stores, so ordering it online may be best bet.

------------------
Recently adopted by 3 cats: Jackson, Rosie, Fluffy; a dog: Eli; some fish, and my fiancee: Lynn (Vi Co Bi)

Karen
04-21-2001, 11:18 PM
Does anyone who has had experience with rehabilitating greyhounds have any advice? We know patience, patience, patience. He is such a sad dog right now, and frightened of everything, but he is starting to trust his new owner a little, so that at least if hopeful.

How does one teach a dog to be a dog? To play, to sniff - he's a beagle, and I've never known a beagle to resist a good sniff ...

Any help, any suggestions would be most welcome.

shais_mom
04-22-2001, 12:36 PM
Karen, I just posted your question on a greyhound board I belong to. And I copied the link to the discussion. I hope we get some responses.
Staci

shais_mom
04-22-2001, 11:58 PM
Paul, here is a reply from a greyhound discussion board.
"hi staci,
we adopted a very shy, insecure grey about 15 months ago
patience yes, but we need more!
"new" dogs have trust issues, we smothered our new grey with love........it takes
months to develop this bond.....but it will come!.......you will see vey subtle
changes
at 3, 6, 12 months and beyond, sometimes it takes longer, but you are in it for
the long haul. also the more time you can spend with your best friend the better,
also read as much as you can about this breed...let us know what happens ....at,
marquelltipton@
aol.com...........thanks, nick (dayton,oh)"

RachelJ
04-24-2001, 07:19 PM
I was just reading one of the success stories of a puppy mill rescue that was posted on the website Phred told us about in the Transportation Needed for Cocker topic. It read as follows:

"Her first three months were spent mainly under the bed. The next three months, she started sticking her head out just enough so the dust ruffle framed a cute little bonnet around her face. After a year, she sleeps on the rug beside the bed and romps and frolics with her 'brother' Tzu, Gizmo, every morning."

I would think that puppy mill dogs might be very similar to labratory dogs and that maybe there would be bits of insight in the stories posted on this website.

Gio
04-25-2001, 05:29 AM
It will certainly take time for him to start trusting humans again (and who can blame the poor thing- I can't even bear to think what he had to go through). But I'm sure that in time and with a lot of patience he will learn.

nsweezie
05-01-2001, 07:38 PM
My dog Pugsley was mistreated by her previous owners. We have had her for 2 years now, and the change is remarkable.
She was once very timid and shy, now she is totally relaxed around our house. This did take time though, and a lot of patience, but the pay off is totally worth it.

05-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Hi, Paul; "Dad" talking this time ~

Although Smokey's only about 15 months old and probably did not come from a labratory, he certainly came from a male-abusive environment. After 3 months of love with Cinder and me, he's a different dog; but I'm sure he'll always bear the scars of his previous encounters with the abusive side of our human species. With people he knows he's a happy, playful pup. But put him in a new or strange setting, and the fear of the unknown and rememberances of what he must have been subjected to in his prior "home" (?) life are painfully obvious. Even I have to be cautious with disipline - a too angry reprimand or overly threatening gesture will send him running off in terror. The same scolding or clenched fist given to Cinder gets me a gently wagging tail, lowered ears, and the expression of "Chill, Dad, I've done worse..."

Just last night we came home with me carrying an armfull of "stuff" and I dropped a Time Magazine that brushed down Smokey's shoulder before hitting on my foot ~ the blood curdling *scream* he let out, as he dashed for cover in the basement, again reminded me that life has not been kind to the little guy. Will he ever forget what he experienced in his first year of life? Probably not http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif.

What's the solution? Tons of love, cautious exposure to new situations, and very careful and loving corrections to his mistakes. Your friend's lab beagle was exposed to 5 years of "bad things" at he hands of humans - it will take time to learn that his new family is different and will not do things that remind him of his past.

Keep us posted about his progress.

And if anybody doesn't know Smokey; get comfortable and click on this link to read ALL about the "Rescue of the SmokeMutt...": http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/Forum7/HTML/000036.html

/s/ Phred

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

shais_mom
05-02-2001, 11:12 PM
My sister's puppy Scooby Doo was less than 6 mos when she got him (he is now 2) and he is still scared of my dad, and only sees him 1-2 a month. He will submissive pee, normally when he sees my dad. We think that he was abused by a man similar in height and with the same type of voice that my dad has. He will go up to him and get petted but it has to be on his own time.

tatsxxx11
05-03-2001, 03:30 PM
Hi Paul. I went/am going through the same experience with my husky/shep Cody, just as "Dad" is with Smokey. The slightest harsh tone and she belly crawls into a corner. Anything dropping suddenly or crashing to the floor sends her running. Once while talking "passionately" on the phone with a friend, Cody (80lbs) was so frightened she tried to get outside by climbing over and out of the top half of a screened door. It's been 5 years, and chances are this will always be the case. But, when she first came to my home, in addition to being terrified, she had NO CLUE how to be a dog. Would hardly eat, didn't know what to do with a toy, wouldn't bark, and feared everything. I am convinced that the companionship and "doggie guidance" provided her by my very sweet and patient lab Jingels, made all the difference. After a month or two, I noticed that she began to "mimic" all the behavioral traits of Jing. From barking to go out, playing with toys, and learning how to weedle treats out of us. She absolutely taught Cody how to be a dog! They were inseparable. I think everyone else gave a lot of good advice. Lots of patience, gentleness, slow introduction of stiumuli and lots of praise and love. Please keep us updated and bless this wonderful person who rescued him.

ilovehounds
05-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Oh Paul, Please give your friend a big hug from me, I LOVE beagles and I was just soooo happy to hear that your friend has adopted one from a lab. Beagles are one of the most commen breed seen at labs and its just a shame.

I have to beagles and they are some what shy around new people, so that is something that might never change.

One of my beagles who is actually beagle/basset hound cross was rescued from an abusive neglective home and it took alot of work getting him settled in. I have had him for almost a year and a half now and he still won't come in the house and he is still very afraid of my father (who is a very kind man and loves animals).

I just worked one on one with Copper until he trusted me then I slowly introduced Hannah to him, they bonded right away and I think that helped him alot. I then slowly introduced him to my other family members.

Its going to take alot of time but it is worth it to see the dog finnaly happy and full of energy and love http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Your friend is a great person and will have a very loving loyal pet.

RachelJ
05-07-2001, 09:05 PM
Paul, we'd love to have an update on this guy. Is he showing any progress?

Logan
05-07-2001, 10:05 PM
Whew! It is just astounding what some folks put their animals through, and I praise God for those of you who are there to "clean up their mess" when they wash their hands of these loving animals.

Sandra, for some reason, I had no idea what you had been through with Cody. And Phred, I knew Smokey had a questionable past, but didn't really realize the extent of his problems. You'd think sometimes that Honey came from that kind of situation. She has the exact temperament Sandra described, especially when there are loud noises, strange objects, and when she gets out of her comfort zone (which is home). And I've had her since she was six weeks old. So, you just never know. But thanks again to each of you, and your friend, Paul, who so willingly take in these precious animals and give them so much love. Each of you is very special. I am so grateful to my friend, who took in Dexter, my little stray boy I found last fall. But he shows many of the same traits you have described too. There is no telling what these sweet little guys have been through. But we can all rest assured that their lives going forward are going to be better because of each of you.

Each of you is to be commended on your efforts. Such telling tales in this post and the one Rachel posted about "how you got your dog".

Logan

[This message has been edited by Logan (edited May 07, 2001).]

RachelJ
05-09-2001, 09:00 AM
There are dogs whose temperments are just extremely sensitive. I know this from personal experience. My Tizzie was born in my house and never experienced any kind of trauma, punishment, abuse or neglect. Yet when either I or my husband picked up a fly swatter to go after a fly, she would leave the room with her head hung low and her tail between her legs. One could have easily assumed she had been hit, but because I lived every minute of her life with her, I know she never, ever was stuck, not even lightly. She was so sensitive, that all we would have to say was "I smell poop" and she again would look ashamed, hang her head down and leave the room. You never had to scold her, because she got the message from even a tone of voice that was slightly terse. Now just imagine if you have a dog whose temperment is this delicate to begin with and it has been abused, the effect would be compounded ten fold.

Paul
05-09-2001, 04:59 PM
   I only have a little update on the dog in question. He is comfortable around other dogs. He has begun to play with his toys. He has learned how to go up and down stairs. Considering how he spent the first five years of his life he is doing very well. I think with time he will learn that he does not need to fear most of the people he meets.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited May 09, 2001).]

RachelJ
05-09-2001, 08:51 PM
That is good news, Paul. A little progress is enough to give the his new people some hope. It takes a lot of patience and work, but when one can see progress, you know that it will be worth it.

gotta_hava_dog
06-07-2001, 05:16 PM
I had a cocker spaniel that had been abused. I got him when he was 9 mos old and had him for the next ten years that he lived. He never got over his fear of men, feet, brooms, or anything coming at his face.

I think rehabilitation will vary greatly from dog to dog. The owners just need to remember that it's in the dog's own time that he will recover his life. And he needs all the support he can get. Poor baby.

tatsxxx11
06-08-2001, 12:47 PM
That's good news Paul. We all can only imagine how difficult it is for this sweet little once tortured soul to learn how to live with a happy heart. I think, relatively speaking, he has made great strides! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Hope he continues to do well. Let us know, OK? And if you see him, please give him a hug and kiss.