PDA

View Full Version : *Update*....Me and my cancer

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi All,

A couple of people have asked me how I'm doing. So I thought I would go ahead and update everyone.

I am doing very well! I have seen the doc and been given the thumbs up and the all clear sign!! Woo Hoo! My insides are still a little raw and tender from the radiation but "healing nicely" as the doc says. My side effects are nearly gone now. Once in awhile I do feel like I have a relapse with the fatigue. The doc says that will be normal for awhile. Basically, I am feeling wonderful!! I go back to the doc in March and then I see the other doc in June. After that I will go every 6 months. Yes! I'm a little bit tired of all the docs but I know that it is important to always stick with the follow ups.

I KNOW that I am a very lucky girl. I realize now that my battle with cancer was nothing compared to other cancer patients that I met through my journey. Yes, I did go through 2 surgeries and 28 radiation treatments, but my cancer was caught at a very early stage and looking back now I see that it was nothing compared to what other patients go through. I'm not trying to minimize what I have went through...its...just...I know how lucky I am. Its hard to put into words.

Three people that I met through my support/education group have died. Each time that I heard this news I have felt very blue and sad and then at the same time I feel very grateful and lucky. It is an odd feeling to go through.

There have been lots of good things that have come from this. This might sound silly..but at the top of my list is KATIE! We brought her home to bring some joy and happiness into our lives when we were going through a difficult time and Katie has definitely filled that role!! Just the other day we were laughing at something Katie had done and my husband said "You know we probably wouldn't have gotten her if you hadn't been sick". We just smiled at each other and I said "I know". Losing our other dog was so painful we didn't think we would ever get another. See, Good Things!! Katie is laying right here beside me sleeping and I am running my foot up and down her leg. What could be better. :)

Once again, thanks to all of you for being around and letting me talk and carry on about all of this. You all have no idea how much Pet Talk has helped me through all of this. Pet Talk was always here and I could come and sit down anytime and type away.

Now...Let's get on with life....YES!!!!!

Love ya all....Robin :)

jenluckenbach
12-01-2003, 09:00 AM
I wish I could make this smiley :) 100 times bigger!!

Such great news. :D

Cataholic
12-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Robin,
I was soooo nervous when I saw this post. I was afraid that the cancer had returned. You are a truly remarkable person, so strong in your attitude. I am happy to have met you, and look forward to getting to know you better!

Johanna

ChrisH
12-01-2003, 09:25 AM
That is so great!:) :) :)

Happy Hugs :D

Chris

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I am SO glad this thread contained good news. Robin, you are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story with us. (Kind of makes me ashamed of all the little things I moan about):o

(((HUGS)))

slick
12-01-2003, 09:32 AM
That's such great news Robin. Just yesterday (Sunday) I got together with some family members including my cousin who is battling lung cancer (from 2nd hand smoke) and now it has spread to her brain. She is as optimistic as you were/are and it's such an inspiration to us all.

Thank you for allowing us to share your story. Have a wonderful Christmas.

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
I am SO glad this thread contained good news. Robin, you are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story with us. (Kind of makes me ashamed of all the little things I moan about):o

(((HUGS)))

HEY...I still moan about the little things!..lol (maybe not as much, BUT I still do). Moan all you want, girl! ;)

Remember to step back and enjoy all the little things too! :D

Hugs right back at ya....Robin :p

Corinna
12-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Please do make sure you do the fallow ups > My hubby still hates them for his cancer but skin cancer can come back any time but the longer the less likey. We had a scare last spring but turned out to be nothing. 8 Years now this moth since the last bout.
We got Merlin for the same reason, Supposed to be for me for empty nest But I wanted Tim getting out in the world again, It worked.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Remember too you will be more apt to get colds easier till you get the immune systeam really reaved up again. Take lots of precautions for a while. (hug)

moosmom
12-01-2003, 09:41 AM
RobiLee,

*SIGH*

Okay, now that I've taken my HUGE sigh of relief, I just want you to know that I am absolutely thrilled at the news. You are one tough cookie. ;) I also believe that your positive attitude and strong perserverance had alot to do with it too.

When Amy went through her ordeal (this year will be her 11th year in remission) she had the same great attitude. I see alot of her in you and am in awe of the both of you. As each year went buy, Amy got a little less worried about the cancer coming back. They say that once you reach your 5th year in remission, you're considered cured.

I wish you the best that life can bring and many MANY more years of remission. You certainly deserve it!!

You rock!!

Randi
12-01-2003, 09:41 AM
This is such great news. :) I'm so happy for you!!

Fister sends lots of purrs .... and hugs from me!!

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by slick
That's such great news Robin. Just yesterday (Sunday) I got together with some family members including my cousin who is battling lung cancer (from 2nd hand smoke) and now it has spread to her brain. She is as optimistic as you were/are and it's such an inspiration to us all.

Thank you for allowing us to share your story. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Slick...please tell your cousin that I am thinking of her and sending her lots of positive vibes and warm wishes. Please let me know how she is doing once in awhile. I know there is nothing I can do or say to actually help but I really do care and would like to know how she is. My best wishes for you and your cousin.

Robin :)

12-01-2003, 09:50 AM
WHAT great news, Robilee! I am so happy for ye!
Time to party: http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons1/circle.gif

amoore
12-01-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm so happy that you have shared your story with us. Very happy that you are doing well. I agree with slick, you are an inspiration.
Glad you have Katie by your side. She sounds pretty sweet!
:)

Kona & Oreo's mom
12-01-2003, 09:54 AM
I am so glad that you had good news from the doctor and that you are healing so well. That's great! I am sure that your positive attitude (and Katie) had a big effect on your successful recovery.

dukedogsmom
12-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Here's a perfect time to post this. I just got through making it for you and put it in the dog general section where you said her pics didn't come out. It's not silly to have Katie at the top of your list! Duke's always at the top of mine. Glad to hear you're doing so well and sad to hear that some of your friends didn't win the battle. Hope this sig makes you feel all Christmasy :)
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/katiesig.jpg

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Val! I've already changed it. I love it! Such a great gift.

Hubby says to tell you that is so cool! He wants to know how the heck do you do that?! And, that you have to teach me...lol!

What program do you use? Should I run out and get it? If I did would you be able to help me over the internet with it? HELP!!!!!

ramanth
12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Great to hear Robin!!! Hugs to you and Katie. :D

shais_mom
12-01-2003, 11:37 AM
I am so happy you are doing so well!!
I definately think "Pet Therapy" is something that can't be compared to!! :)

robinh
12-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I was so afraid to open this message. Wow, I am so relieved.

With your positive attitude; the prayers and good wishes from everyone in your family and here on PetTalk; and the positive influence of Katie I was just sure you'd do well.

Keep up the good work! You are a definite inspiration to everyone!!

:D

Albea
12-01-2003, 11:48 AM
That's such great news, Robin!!!
Here's to many more years of good health with your husband and precious Katie. :D :D :D

Logan
12-01-2003, 12:04 PM
I am absolutely thrilled for you, Robin!!! :D :D :D

Karen
12-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Just had tp say "Yay!" Now I add you to my mental list of cancer survivors that I pull out when others are faced with the prognosis.

lynnestankard
12-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Such good news Robin - I'm sure your positive outlook has helped immensly. I'm in awe - you've coped so well with your cancer - good for you.
I wish you a healthy and Merry Christmas - {{{Hugs}}} across the miles.

Lynne

Tonya
12-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I am so happy to hear that you are getting better and better. Your positive attitude is very inspiring.

RubyMutt
12-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Wonderful news! Thanks for the update. I'm so happy you're feeling so great and staying positive. You are a very lucky woman :) I hope everything continues to go so well!

PayItForward
12-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Great to hear things are going so well for you. :D

Miss Meow
12-01-2003, 02:15 PM
That's great news! :D

I hope you stay happy and healthy, for a long, long time :)

trayi52
12-01-2003, 02:56 PM
RobiLee,

I am happy to hear you are doing so well, I think your attitude does have a lot to do with it, and you very plainly have a very good attitude.

This is indeed good news!!!:)

Samantha Puppy
12-01-2003, 03:17 PM
You may not think you've been through as much as some others and I'm sure you're right, but I don't think I could've handled what you did/are anywhere near as well as you took it all. For that, I really admire you and I'm thrilled to hear you're in remission and have a good bill of health. Please keep us all posted and lots of puppy kisses from Samantha! :)

Cincy'sMom
12-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Awesome news Robin!!! You are such a positive inspirtation to us all. I'm so glad I have got to meet you, your husband and Katie at the Dog Park...look forawrd to seeing you agin inthe spring :)

lovemyshiba
12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Wonderful news Robin!!!

Like others, I was afraid to even open this message, fearing it may have bad news in it--not very optimistic of me!!
I am so happy to hear that everything is going so well, and I know Katie has helped you tremendously, as well as your support group and your husband, I'm sure.

What a wonderful thing to celebrate this Christmas!!!!!

popcornbird
12-01-2003, 04:08 PM
You don't know how thrilled I am for you! Such wonderful news! God deserves a HUGE thanks from you and your family, for giving you the blessing of health, after such an illness. :)

tatsxxx11
12-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am for you Robin and for your entire family; and that includes Katie, of course!:) You have the most amazing spirit and I applaud your courage and your determination! What a very special woman you are!!! It's great to know that you are surrounded by a loving and supprotive family Robin, and let's not forget sweet Katie and yes, ON WITH LIFE!:) And don't forget, you also have a ton of friends here on Pet Talk that are pulling for you every step of the way! {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

captain
12-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Robin,

Thanks for updating us. I always wanted to ask you how you were doing ......... just never did (Shocking of me, I know!!!)

Here's to a happy, healthy 100 years for you!!!

KYS
12-01-2003, 06:07 PM
I could not have heard better news today.
IF you could see the BIG smile on my face reading your
post. I guess we can thank Katie too, for
helping you through this hole ordeal.
So Glad you came to Pet Talk.

Hugs Karen

rg_girlca
12-01-2003, 09:34 PM
I am so happy for you Robin. As others have said, you have such a positive attitude and a great family who stood beside you all the way and of course your precious Katie.

This is such wonderful news.:D

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 10:20 PM
I am completely overwhelmed and deeply touched by all of your responses. You have no idea how much it means to me. Thank you all so much!!

Sorry I worried a few of you with the start of my thread. I should have worded that better. Like *Good News*. I wasn't thinking..just typing away as usual..lol.

{{{HUGS FOR EVERYONE}}}}

K9karen
12-01-2003, 11:38 PM
*Jumps in air and clicks heels together*

Now you need another dog to celebrate!

I'm in awe of your wonderful attitude! You're an inspiration to everyone, Robin! BIG {HUGS} of Joy to you! I'm thrilled for you!

anna_66
12-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Oh Robin!

I'm so glad to hear that things are going so splendidly (sp?) for you right now!
It's wonderful that you were able to get Katie at a time when you really needed her:)

*HUGS* to you and Katie both!