PDA

View Full Version : We are going to obedience classes!

RobiLee
12-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Hello All,

Well....today is the day. Katie and I start our very first obedience class. I guess I should say I start today,as the first class is humans only. I guess I need some training first...lol. We are doing a beginners adult class. I wish I would have started her earlier in puppy classes, but with everything I was going through it just wasn't possible. Better late than never though..right? I am very nervous about it. I have never done something like this before. I'm not for sure how Katie will do. She can be a very stubburn girl. Alden keeps teasing me saying he wants to take a video camera because he knows Katie is going to do something silly! Does anyone have any pointers for me? Wish us luck!

Robin :)

KYS
12-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Don't worry, Katie will do just fine.

Can't wait till next week class when Katie gets
to go and we hear all about it.
Have hubby take pictures.

binka_nugget
12-01-2003, 09:47 AM
The only pointer I can give you is something that shelteez2 told me. When you walk through that door, believe that your dog can do what you want it to do and nothing less. I used to expect pulling on the leash when heeling but after a couple sessions of knowing that Kai could do it, I noticed a difference.

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Dear Katie ~

Ho Boy - are you in fur a Big Treet! :cool:

Skewel Daze are shuch PHUNN! :D
Too bad ya dont get to go onna Furst Day... :(
The 2-Leggerz will have tyme to make planz.

Here's sum *Tips*...

Be sure ta drain you tanks affore ya go ta class -
leave LOTZ a room fur Treets!
And - yur NOT suppoze ta :eek: pee & poop onna rugz -
getz da Teech all inna *fuss* (an Mom will toss a Hissie-Fit when
she gotta get da Oopz Kit an mop da floor!)

PAY Attenshun!
*Watch* allua udder Muttz inna klass -
be supprized all da Neet Trikz (Bad Habbitz) ya can learn!
I learnt how to *HEEL* walkin BackWurdz so'z I kuld
*watch* da butt-sniffer behind me!

Avoid bein wunna da *Yapperz* inna klass -
Teech getz reel *krankie* when they gotta shout ober a *Yapper*!
Added bennerfit iz ya get Extree Treetz when yur *quiet* an
sum udder Dawg is hollerin reel loud.

Praktiss Yur Lessinz Ebery Day wiff Mom...
Yu'll get TONZ a Treetz when ya Do Gud at home...
then get ta Laff when Mom triez ta tell Teech
"Butt, she did it Purfiktlee at Home!"

Be reel nice to Teech - NO nippin finnerz!
(Dont wanna havta wear a *muzzel* in klass!)

Learn ta do sumpin REEL GUD!
Then ya get to Show Off in frunt of da hole klass =
extree treetz!

If Dad goez along - alluz run to HIM durrin "Rekall or COME" praktice!
Extree Pointz awarded iffin ya kan Jump Ober da Fence an
then do a purfikt "SIT" in fronta Dad!

Ya get extree treetz fur jest aktin *kalm* affore klass startz...
save summa yur best *FRISKIE Stuff* till ya get inside da fence!

Most of all - Have PHUNN in klass!

:D

Shelteez2
12-01-2003, 10:41 AM
I see binka_nugget beat me to it ;)

Don't walk in there and "hope" Katie will do ok. Walk in there and expect her to do well. You know she is a star, have faith and let her shine.
Also, don't buy into the general "Akita's are stubborn and hard to train" idea. If you start saying that to yourself then you will start to use it to excuse yourself if she doesn't perform up to par. 'Tis better to think how much people will respect you for having such a beautiful well trained akita, especially when they think it's not possible. Prove to those naysayers that it is possible.

Oh yeah, and the most important thing to remember is....HAVE FUN!!!!!:D

ramanth
12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
If Kia could do it, I KNOW Katie will do it! :D

Best of luck and have fun!

ParNone
12-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi RobiLee!

I agree with Shelteez and BinkaNugget about positive
expectations, but not just directed at the dog's ability.
I always go into it with the attitude that Oz and I are a team.
I have lil' discussions with him that "We can do this or We
can do that". Not me... Not him... We... I think that really
helps towards not getting frustrated, because the reality
is nobody's perfect, especially when you're learning. So if
you put everything on the dog, especially if they're unrealistically
high expectations and he doesn't come through, you're going to
be upset at him. I see so many upset and frustrated people in
our agility classes and it just perpetuates the problem, because
dogs feed off that.

I focus on the things we excel at and don't dwell on anything
we had problems with. In our training at home, we might work a
lil' more on our weaknesses, but as far as mulling it over in my
mind, I let it go. We're on the journey to learn together
and it doesn't matter if something takes us a lil' longer than
somebody else. We're not in a race with anybody else, so I
check my ego at the door. I know Oz and I will get there
eventually and I just want to make sure that our journey was
filled with lots of happy scenery on the way. ;)

Par...

tikeyas_mom
12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
pointer?? humm.. trying to think of some lol.. Give her losta prais!!! :D.. I wish I could bing one of my dogs to obedience classes. :(:(..

tatsxxx11
12-04-2003, 04:57 PM
You've already gotten a lot of good advice! My advice would be to relax and most of all enjoy the experience, the fellow participants and dogs and the wonderful bonding opporutnity it will be for you and sweet Katie!:) I'm so happy that you're well enough to be out and about and living life!!:D:D:D And what better companion to have by your side than Katie! Have fun! And we want updates!:)

Cincy'sMom
12-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Hi Robin! How was your first class?

When we got Sadie, we didn't know puppies could go to school before they had all their shots, so by the time we looked into it, she was too old for Puppy K. We took her to a class called Basic family manners, that sounds a lot like the class Katie is going to (it was also no dogs at first class).

The only thing I can thinkof to add to the good adive you have gotten, it to take REALLY good treats!! With all the other dogs around she may be really interested in playing rather than listening. Milkbones may get her attention at home,but when youa re competeing with other dogs/people, you may need something better. We found string cheese works really well, as does lunch meat. Another idea is to put some cheerios in a baggie with a hot dog or good smelling meat leftovers. The cereal will pick up the smell of the meat and they are good bite size treats.

Probally the most imporant thing is HAVE FUN!!!

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Let's see, advice, advice, well, I agree with binka nugget and shelteez2 and well, just have fun and yes give LOTS of praise! Also, string cheese is what i use for training cause you can hold it in your mouth til you give it to the dog. Cheese isn't bad for dogs. or u get little cookies, but they have to be able to eat them fast because you can't take up the trainer's time. lol, i learned that the hard way..hee hee. that's all.

Byakko's Mom
12-05-2003, 01:36 PM
I just put a great training treat recipee under," please help me".Your thread was next with it then .I read yours next but use the tuna brownies(easy,simple to make) for high dollar treats.They will do anything for them so they aren't everyday treats.I put them there for a present idea which they can be great for too but I mostly use them for training treats and they work fabulously.I thought basic was alot of fun.We both learned alot as long as it is a good teacher the class is great .Between my 2 kids and I we have been to a number of different instructors and classes and individual with different dogs and needs and we have learned from them all and only one I wouldn't take from again.I believe all dogs benefit from going through classes even if you know what you are doing.They get the socialization and class learning.I think it is great..Have fun.You will both do great.
Laurie
This response has sat for a long time my computer went down with the weather but here goesI will try again.

RobiLee
12-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Well, the first class went really well. It was this past Monday and it was just me. Katie and I will both go every Monday from now on. So far, I really liked the instructor. She seems to know what she is talking about and has been doing this for quite awhile now. Basically the first class was just to let us know what to expect. We will be using the clicker method. That was our homework for the week. To practice using that and getting the dog use to it. Even just saying her name and if she makes eye contact when I say her name than "click" Anything good that she does gets a click. We can also use treats. Click then treat. We will be using a lot of treats. Mostly what I came away with from the first meeting is that I am the one that needs to learn new behavior...lol. I need to be the leader. I should never let Katie initiate anything. Not even playtime. If I'm sitting and watching tv and Katie comes up with her ball, I shouldn't automatically throw it. I should set it down and wait til I'm ready to play or make her say "please" by sitting or down or something like that. I'm not for sure if I'm making sense. I understand what the instructor is saying but that is a hard habit to break. I love it when Katie comes up to play, even when I am busy. So far I think we have been doing very well. Katie seems to respond well to the click/treat method and I try to make her say "please" (usually sit) for everything. Even when she wants to go outside. I have her sit first. I am so looking forward to our first class together. I know she (we) can do this. Cinder and Smokey were right I have to take a baggie full of tiny treats and if there is any barking we will be asked to leave the room. When she quits barking we can come back, if she barks again we have to leave again. Katie is not a barker so I'm pretty confident we won't have this problem. Keep your fingers crossed for us! I'll keep you posted.

RobiLee
12-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Here's one of the papers that I got:

1. A leader must first get the dogs attention: Encourage eye contact several times a day. When dogs looks at you click and treat. Call dog's name, If he looks at you click and treat.

2. A leader is dependable: Pick up the food bowl. Hand feed meals. Make a dog work for food. If your dog has to depend on you for food (existence), the dog will be less independent.

3. Leaders Eat First: If your meals coincides with your dog's, feed the dog After you eat.

4. Earn praise and treats: Put the dog on a learn to earn basis. Don't hand out anyting free. Not even a touch. If the dog is bad give nothing (ignore). dog need to learn that it will get lots more attention for being good.

5. Follow the leader: don't allow your dog to charge out of the territory before you. Out of a room, a door, etc.

6. Leaders control territory: Never step over your dog if it is in the way. Make the dog move.

7. Leader mean what they say: Give a command only once. don't scream. Speak in a low normal voice. Always cclick and treat when command is executed.

8. Leaders are winners: All games are played on your terms. You start the game, and you say when game is over. If you ask for dog to fetch and he does not bring it back GAME IS OVER.

9. Life with your dog is not a democracy: Your dog may sleep in your bedroom, but until the behavior problems resolve, not on your bed. Sleeping toghether in bed makes them equal.

10. Belly up a natural acceptance posture: Once a day invite your dog over for a free belly rub. this is a subordinate position for a dog.

11. A follower allows gentle grooming: Have a daily grooming session.

12. Down is again a subordinate position: If your dog will lie down on command, try working up to a 20 minute- down -stay per day.

What do you think???

Byakko's Mom
12-05-2003, 11:28 PM
I love it.I love clicker trainer.I am amazed how fast Dakota learns new things and I love all the positive training.Thanks so much for sharing your paper I loved reading it along with you post.I swear sometimes our trainer teaches Dakota something new and Dakota learns it before I know what she is learning,she picks it up so fast.I just love the clicker.We started with the eye contact too.We are doing similar things that you are and it works well for us.I am so glad you shared it.I read about click/treat before but hadn't taken any classes with it.I had some great trainers too but we are doing some individual now and we are using the click/treat along with some other methods.I am so excited about the training.I love to see any of them make progress.It is fun and so exciting for all of us.She loves it too and that makes it fun.
Laurie

Byakko's Mom
12-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Did you get a chance to check out the simple training treats under" please help me"?The thread by FlatCoatsRule.In this area-Dog's General.They are really easy and yummy.
Laurie

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:49 AM
Here, these are the one's she posted for me she's talking about...

Anyway this recipee was shared with me.It is for Tuna Brownies and really easy to make.It just takes a couple mins.to whip up and 30 mins to cook and maybe you will get them cool before they are into them.

2 cans tuna in water
drain most of the water
2 eggs
healthy teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix to thick horrible mass
Add flour if needed until it is like a thick ball of dough
Flatten out to 1/4" thick on a cookie sheet
Bake at 250 for 30 minutes
cut in 1/4" cubes
can refrigerate or great frozen.Just pull them out of the freezer and they are a great training treat for a long or short session.They are also a great present treat.
Recipees were exchanged on a list I am on and this one was one of them and my dogs adore them.The howling while they are making whow unbelievable,they wanted them so badly and the first time they never had them.Let me tell you they went over like no other.I felt so good.
Laurie

RobiLee
12-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks Folks!!!

I will definitely try out the recipe!

KYS
12-06-2003, 08:31 AM
I have heard nothing but praise for the clicker
method.
I think what I heard was the biggest problem,
was the "human" learning when the right time to
click. Once you get that down, you have it made.
I can't remember but isn't Karen Pryor (not shure of
last name) that has some clickerbooks out and she
started with dolphins?
Anyway, I, rambling.
Sounds like you have a good teacher and class.
Can't wait till Monday's report. :)

FlatCoatsRule, that sounds like a great easy recipeto make.
I will have to try that one.