PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Rescue Dog

Edwina's Secretary
09-11-2001, 03:54 PM
Such a sad day -- it seems to drive home the point of living each day to the fullest and drive the need to do something for someone.

My parents who are in their late 70's (father will be 80 next month!) have always had pets. For many years they had skipperke (sp?) dogs as well as a cat or two.

Early this year their elderly skipperke had to be put down. They were crazy about a seven year old Cavalier my brother had for his daughter (daughter not as crazy about her!) So my brother gave them the dog. They loved her.

Then last month the cat had to be put down due to a sarcoma.

Last week they awoke to find the new dog dead from a heart attack. They are heartbroken.

They would like another dog. It would be great if it would be a rescue. It should be older -- they don't need the energy level or training issues of a puppy. They like a lap dog but like to take their dogs on daily walks in the state park across the street. It does not need to be a pure bred -- mixed is great! Low maintenance/allergy. (It sounds like I'm writing a personal ad!)

They live in the country by Rockford, Illinois so Iowa and East would be easiest --Upper Midwest I guess. I have forwarded to them the website I saw here for rescue dogs, but some many of you are involved in rescue I thought it worth a try to ask!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-11-2001, 04:54 PM
Hi, getting a senior dog would be a very good idea, I am giving you an address for a Senior dog rescue, you might look at their website or write to them. http://www.seniordogrescue.org/
Jackie

Stenograsaurus
09-12-2001, 10:03 AM
This is a list of rescuse centers for all breeds of dogs. http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~laird/animal_rescue/breed_rescue_organizations#canine
I'm sure there are senior dogs on some of them. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide. I commend you on adopting a senior dog. I think that's the same route I will take in the future.

kobieeli
09-12-2001, 12:00 PM
There's a group that rescues the "satos" of Puerto Rico and arranges to have those little homeless mutts brought to US shelters for adoption. Their organization's website is at www.saveasato.org (http://www.saveasato.org) (some of the info on it is terribly heartbreaking). If you click on "How to Help" and then on the next page on "Stateside Shelters/Adoptions," you'll find a shelter in Dundee, Illinois that assists the satos. These dogs are usually small, almost always mixed breeds, and have all their initial vet issues taken care of by the time of adoption. Maybe worth a look?

Albea
09-12-2001, 12:35 PM
Some other good sites to visit are: http://www.petshelter.org http://Web2.petfinder.org/index.html
Hope you can find a senior for your parents soon.

mugsy
09-12-2001, 12:50 PM
I wish you the best in getting a rescue dog...there are no better...as everyone else on this list knows, my husband and I have 11 rescues and they are awesome. I have talked to Bobbi in New York from Bobbi and the Strays and she is very easy to work with. I found her on petfinder.com

Edwina's Secretary
09-12-2001, 03:40 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions --particularly at this dificult time when it is difficult to focus on anything but the events at hand. I have forwarded the suggestions to my parents who are following up on them as we write.

And Mugsy... my husband is a Fort Wayne Native. His family still lives there and surrounding areas (Huntertown, Avilla.) When we are there visiting I'll look for 11 very happy dogs!

I'll be sure and let you all know what they finally decide to do.

mugsy
09-12-2001, 07:00 PM
Oh you have to do that. My husband works in Avilla as well as Fort Wayne, Kendallville, Corunna, and until recently, Albion. We have friends that live on McComb road. You have to come visit!! Too fun!

Rottie
09-13-2001, 10:15 AM
I live near Rockford, here's a no-kill shelter near there.
http://www.petsinneedmidwest.org

There are many more, I'm just partial to Pets In Need because we had to take a stray dog there once.

Also try http://www.petfinder.org

mugsy
09-17-2001, 05:06 PM
Did your parents ever find a dog? I have been wondering about it. Don't forget to let me know when you come to Fort Wayne to visit. It's not like it's a long trip...it's only 3 or 3 1/2 hours!!!

Edwina's Secretary
09-18-2001, 08:48 AM
Mugsy,

Thanks for asking. My parents have been researching via the various suggestions I received however, with all the tragedy last week response has not been good to their inquiries. Very understandable. They continue to look and meanwhile my sister took her Pomeranian and left him for a week long visit! That really convinced them of the desire for a new dog. I suggested to Edwina that see might want to go to grandma and grandpa's for a week. She said it is different for cats!

We will be in Avilla/Fort Wayne sometime in October (were suppose to go this weekend.) To pull names for Christmas grab gifts. Yikes! Can Christmas be that soon?

mugsy
09-18-2001, 02:08 PM
Maybe your parents can come with you in October and find a pooch here in Fort Wayne! When it gets closer to the time you come, we'll have to exchange addresses and phone numbers and we could get together. Then you could meet our entire brood! They are a little overwhelming at first until they settle down from the excitement that we have visitors.

Edwina's Secretary
10-05-2001, 03:43 PM
The way this story ends it should not be under rescue after all....

My parents just really had their hearts set on another Cavalier. So they located a PUPPY (yikes) right by their home. I met Cody last weekend and I must say he is the cutest, sweetest, friendliest little thing I have EVER seen. Even Edwina (the cat) was far less hostile to him than she has been to other dog visitors. She even touched noses with him until she realized what she was doing. (She was quite embarrassed.)

Each of my siblings owns a body part -- I have the right rear leg.

In their 56 years of marriage my parents have had many rescue animals -- dogs, cats, horses, turkeys, etc. To see how absolutely thrilled and in love they are with this dog -- well they've earned it.

Mugsy...I am coming to Fort Wayne area the 27th. Will your brood break my legs??(just kidding. Hope you are healing well. My email is in my profile. Could you send your contact?)

mugsy
10-05-2001, 05:08 PM
I'm glad to hear that they found a pooch that they love. At least we know that he will have a loving home and no chance of being dumped somewhere.

Yeppers...I'm healing pretty well, I'm just not very patient...ask Mike! :rolleyes:

jackiesdaisy1935
10-05-2001, 08:26 PM
A cavalier is such a beautiful dog, I'm glad your parents found what they really wanted.
Good luck to them with the new pup.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
10-05-2001, 09:15 PM
Congratulations! I absolutely love cavaliers.

tatsxxx11
10-06-2001, 08:56 AM
Congratulations! My little "niece" Cavalier Ruby says yipppppeeeeeee!! Your folks sound like such special people. I'm so thrilled for them, and Cody!

sammi
10-06-2001, 07:49 PM
Happy to hear your parents found a dog to love. :)