THE "WORST CASE OF ANIMAL ABUSE:"
When Dexter, a 35-pound basset hound, was rushed to a Wyoming veterinary
hospital on February 16th, Dr. Stephen Kerr said it was "the worst case
of animal abuse I've ever seen" in 20 years of practice. Dexter had been
beaten until his right side was paralyzed, he was bleeding internally and
he had extensive brain injuries. Yet according to Dr. Kerr, "he still
managed to wag his tail and kiss care providers." Weeks later, Dexter was
stolen again from his owner's home. He was then tortured, mutilated, and
set on fire before his charred body was thrown on to his owner's driveway.
Goshen County Sheriff Don Murphy, recognizing the severity of the
situation, had Dexter's remains transported to Wyoming State Veterinary
Laboratory in Laramie. Lab veterinarian Todd Cornish said that, "All four
of his legs were cut off - probably before the dog was burned." Sheriff's
deputies later arrested Travis L. Wilson, a college classmate of Dexter's
owner, for the crime. Mr. Wilson pled not guilty to animal cruelty charges
as well as additional charges of interference with a police officer and
unlawful drug possession.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Ask the prosecuting attorney to pursue stringent penalties against Mr.
Wilson! Remind the prosecutor of the strong connection between animal
abuse and other social violence; Ted Bundy, The Boston Strangler, Jeffrey
Dahmer and Son of Sam all abused animals before turning their violence
against humans. Write to: County Attorney Pat Korrell, Goshen County
Attorney, 2125 East A St., Torrington, WY 82240 . You can also send an
electronic letter to the County Attorney through:
http://www.mediapartnersforpets.org/working/index.php# (we encourage you
to change the text of the letter into your own words). For more
information on the connection between animal cruelty and human violence,
see: http://www.hsus.org/firststrike/index.html
__________________________________________________ ________
ANIMAL ABUSE-The ultimate act of cowardice and mental derangement!!

Sudilar
04-13-2001, 09:59 AM
I could cry! I immediately sent out the letter asking for justice! I am so upset.

margaret
04-13-2001, 10:30 AM
My God, how horrible!! I sent a letter, too. How can a human being be so unimaginably cruel? My mind can't comprehend such behavior. I just don't understand it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

------------------
]Margaret

wolflady
04-13-2001, 11:46 AM
It's so sad that there are so many disturbed people like this in the world. I sent a mighty lengthy note reguarding this matter!!

Last year, a mentally unstable person with some serious road rage, after being in a minor fendor bender with a lady here in San Jose, preceeded to grab her little 18 pound dog and threw it into oncoming traffic, killing it. He then drove away. I just heard on the news today that that person was caught (for something totally irrevelant) and could be sentenced to 3 years in jail. I mean really, that just goes to show that people with road rage, and people that commit acts of violence are dangerous to society and the problem needs to be addressed as such! It turns out that this guy had a list of misdemeanors and crimes...It's sad that one (person or animal) isn't safe in their own society anymore...that's why acts such as this need to be given a stonger penalty (punishment) because they ARE crimes!

Pam
04-13-2001, 11:55 AM
This has to be the most awful thing I have read in a long, long time. I don't even have words that are printable to describe what I would like to see done to Travis Wilson!!

wolflady
04-13-2001, 01:14 PM
Thanks for posting those articles Spencer. I had just heard the news this morning on NPR radio!

jackiesdaisy1935
04-13-2001, 02:24 PM
At one time I had a Bassett Hound named
"Charlie", he was the sweetest, most kind, loving dog. This Travis Wilson and people like him make me sick. There should be a more suitable punishment than maybe three years in jail. Right now I couldn't think of anything horrible enough to do to this man.
All animals are the innocents of the world and have to be protected.
I sent my letter!

http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/neutergrt.gif

Karen
04-13-2001, 02:57 PM
Maybe they should be sentenced to a life of volunteer work at a shelter, to learn compassion. Or, of course, we could cover him in gravy and let the hounds loose! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif (And hope, in that case, that he's ticklish!)

Really, we all must work hard, protect and love the animals we know, educate any children we encounter, and remind everyone to spay and neuter their pets.

sammi
04-13-2001, 05:36 PM
I posted on dog general. Sorry Karen, but I don't think a person like that should be anywhere near animals. I believe these peoples problems are a lot deeper than learning compassion. The gravy would be a good idea esp. if the dogs haven't eaten for awhile.

wolflady
04-13-2001, 05:39 PM
...or how about stripping Mr.Wilson down and sticking him in a very confined space with Hera....(one of the 2 dogs that was taken in the case of the death of Diane Whipple by the vicious dogs here in CA)...

Corinna
04-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Wolflady you sound like my kind of people first they should spread honey or BBQ sauce to make him palatable.
We had the Streeter murders here and the kids got 100 years.( it aired on Dateline) But a week later (after the murder before they we found) their cousin shot his own dad (suppositly abused him) I felt they should all be housed togeather in our boot camp in isolation . No one but the widow streeter agrees with me. They run boot camp all year living in tents in our snow it's a good detorrant for miner offenses a good cold winter usually takes care of the offenders.

Pam
04-13-2001, 08:15 PM
Karen...I love the way you think!

sammi
04-13-2001, 08:45 PM
Check this posting out listed under " other general" anybody else have other news about this??
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
In regard to the road rage death of the dog Leo in CA last year, a suspect have been found. If convicted, make an example of him!

...here is CNN's account: http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/04/13/roadrage.dog.ap/index.html

...here the BBC's account: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1275000/1275781.stm

jackiesdaisy1935
04-13-2001, 08:47 PM
Another example of a sick mind. In Northern San Diego County there is someone poisoning
dogs. So far one man who had three dogs and two of them have died from eating raw meat tainted with poison. Another lady has had her two puppies also poisoned. The kids came home from school and found one puppie dead and the other dieing. This sick person throws raw meat in the yard to kill the dogs.
Hopefully they will catch this person before he can do any more of these dispicable acts.
Everyone up North is keeping their dogs inside and watching them very closely. Please if you have any kind of animal, dog, cat or whatever keep an eye on them as much as possible and make sure you know where they are at all times.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited April 13, 2001).]

bugmom
04-16-2001, 11:46 AM
There was a line going about Leo last friday. It isn't there today - don't know why but i think it was my fault. I played devil's advocate about the Leo incident trying to look at the big picture and poof the line disappeared. so i'll try again....
The trial for this case is set for June so we won't know anything until then (right now the guy doesn't have a lawyer yet- or as of friday the 13th).
Let me preface this entire thing with Leo was too cute to die and seems like it was senseless. But in this particular case (and only this case!) there is somethings that smell bad here in the san jose area.
The entire country never would have herad of this had it not been for a slow news day. The incident took place about a month before the media looked at it.
There are rumblings that the lady (who is playing the innocent victim) isn't innocent - that she was just as abusive to the guy she rearended as he was to her. there are also reports that she struck or scratched him. And in the melee Leo tried to protect and paid a price. It is also reported that leo attacked not once but twice. suppose this was just a knee jerk reaction to saving one's own face? Granted not the best reaction at all! But we do have a justice system that is getting tougher and tougher on animal rights and crimes against animals (yahoo! its about time!) They will find the truth I trust them to do that much. (what if we find out that the lady threw Leo at the man?! yuk!!!!)
And then there is the reward fund $110,000 for the dog and only $50,000 for the reward fund for Xiana Fairchild - remember her? four months before Leo she was abducted - her skull was found just last month. Her killer is still at large.
Again this is just ponders....
It is all a BIG ponder!

sammi
04-16-2001, 11:55 AM
Isn't your original posting still listed under - others general-?

jackiesdaisy1935
04-16-2001, 11:58 AM
Bugmom, I am curious, do you have any animals or dogs? It would be inconceivable that any person would throw their dog at another person.

sammi
04-16-2001, 12:06 PM
If such talk has been going on it seems that it would have leaked out at some point to the media or gossip papers? Not saying that you haven't heard this being in Calif. But this was given much publicity in the past.

ownerof3dogs
04-16-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
Another example of a sick mind. In Northern San Diego County there is someone poisoning
dogs. So far one man who had three dogs and two of them have died from eating raw meat tainted with poison. Another lady has had her two puppies also poisoned. The kids came home from school and found one puppie dead and the other dieing. This sick person throws raw meat in the yard to kill the dogs.
Hopefully they will catch this person before he can do any more of these dispicable acts.
Everyone up North is keeping their dogs inside and watching them very closely. Please if you have any kind of animal, dog, cat or whatever keep an eye on them as much as possible and make sure you know where they are at all times.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited April 13, 2001).]

This happened to my dogs about two years ago. someone through food over our fence and poisoned are dogs. Luckly we were just up the street and came home in time to bring them to the Emergeny vets. But ever since then I DO NOT leave my dogs out when I am not home.

sammi
04-16-2001, 12:18 PM
Good point jackiesdaisy, Who would ever throw their dog into danger (unless you were a animal hater)? Without even thinking I think I would try and protect my dog maybe B/4 myself. You can't compare the reward money offered dog/child that is a another subject and a very sad one. It does not mean in anyway that the childs life was worth less than the dogs.

wolflady
04-16-2001, 12:48 PM
bugmom, I hadn't heard about the thought that Leo's mom provoked the man! That's bad!! Poor Leo got stuck in the middle! I wonder if we'll find out what really happened then? Even so, the guy has serious issues and a criminal record...he's still a danger to society.
Jackies, that's terrible about the poisoning! I just don't see how someone could go around and do that to other people's pets!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif
ownerof3dogs, so glad that you came home in time to rush your babies to the em vet!! So scary that our babies can't be safe in their own backyard...

bugmom
04-16-2001, 01:24 PM
Yes, I do have animals and I have rescued animals. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would throw a dog at another or in traffic etc....but it is also inconceivable to me that a person could poison an animal, could turn an animal out in winter because it wasn't wanted, could drowned a litter of puppies/kittens, etc. and yet it happens and way too often it happens. The humane psyche works in mysterious ways and when in danger automatically acts.
On this particular story we have only heard one side - Burnett hasn't been interviewed by the media (and i'd love to be a fly on the wall when that does happen!) The media is a powerful tool.
Non of the stories i have seen interviewed the police officers on the scene or referenced a police report. Has anyone seen info on either item?

Pam
04-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Leo's owner was on Good Morning America this morning. I tried to keep in mind that there are two sides to every story, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't see any justification for throwing a dog into traffic. She did mention that she has a new dog now named Stormy.

jackiesdaisy1935
04-16-2001, 02:02 PM
Bugmom, I do agree with you that within the human psyche there are people who do horrible things as you suggested and most probably are lacking in normal social behavier such as compassion, caring, love.
However, I believe when in danger, if a person has a pet, cat or dog, their first reaction would be to protect their pet.
To most people the bond between their pet and themselves is like to a degree to that between a child and parent. At least I feel that way, not sure about everybody else.
You must be very proud to have rescued all those sweet babies.

bugmom
04-16-2001, 02:40 PM
I missed the good america show...mainly cuz i keep feeling very manipulated by her story. It just seems too too i don't know and can't put my finger on but her business has increased, she has gained popularity - her 15 minutes of fame has lasted longer than Sue on Survivor. i feel used by the media.
I love my animals and would do anything for them - i wish everyone was as loyal and loving to animals as we are, but we see bad time and time again (tears for the poor little bassett, for hera who was taught to kill, for the puppies...)
i guess we just can't predict human nature no matter how hard we try. in extreme fear or anger or other such high emotions something clicks and takes our bodies along for the ride.
I'll keep an eye on the case...heck since i'm in the area - maybe i'll take some time off and attend...now that would be interesting!!
right now i think i need to hug an animal!!!

ilovehounds
04-25-2001, 08:17 PM
To All My Friends Please Sign This Petition....

Dexter was a Basset who was paralyzed first assault, then his legs cut off and set on fire .. Please sign this petition.

Animal Cruelty Case - Torrington, Wyoming

http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/petition.cgi?id=1590

A petition on behalf of Dexter. This petition will be presented to the
presiding judge and prosecuting attorney in this case

ANIMAL ABUSE-The ultimate act of cowardice and mental derangement!!
Thanks For Being You
Bonnie and My Girls
Cairns and Friends
www.cairnsandfriends.homestead.com (http://www.cairnsandfriends.homestead.com)

wolflady
05-07-2001, 11:46 AM
Hi all!!

I just received this email in regards to Dexter:

Thank you for writing in support of Dexter, the Basset in Wyoming. 1st Hearing on cruelty charges is tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.in Torrington. See history / updates / directions at http://hometown.aol.com/petpalsgc/PetPalsInc.html
or email me at [email protected]. Letters have been hand-delivered to the Prosecutor's office.
Mary

Sudilar
05-07-2001, 02:06 PM
Received the same email. Every time I think of poor Dexter, I cry!!! I can't believe the cruelty done to that dog. How could anyone do that. I hope he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law ( which is still not enough)!

kobieeli
10-18-2001, 11:06 AM
Excellent news! Like I always say, a little time in prison to think about their crimes should do people like Travis some good.

Nice to hear that the law is catching up with basic morality in regard to animal cruelty. Not long ago, Travis and his kind would've received a big shrug from the legal system. :mad:

purrley
10-18-2001, 11:15 AM
Good news - guess I'll have to check into the Wyoming laws on animal abuse, it appears they're better than ours!! I doubt he'll serve 7 years though.

Dixieland Dancer
10-18-2001, 12:30 PM
I doubt he will serve the whole 7 years too! Unfortunately the laws aren't as strict in keeping prisoners behind bars for the maximum time sentenced.

I don't know what could make someone do something like this but I really think this guy needs more than anger management :mad:

Daisy's Mom
10-18-2001, 12:45 PM
I can't beleive I missed this!!!! I was in Spain when it was first posted and I guess I did a bad job of catching up. With this sweetie being a Basset Hound, it really hits close to home. I am so glad that evil man was brought to justice. How anyone could hurt any dog (and especially one with such sad, sweet eyes!) is totally beyond me, and it disgusts me.

wolflady
10-18-2001, 12:57 PM
Thanks for posting that, Spencer...I was beginning to wonder what happened 5 months ago!! It's obvious that this guy has a serious problem, and I think it's good that people are becomming aware of what a crime it is to abuse/torture animals. Although, I still think it needs to be considered at a more serious level than it is right now, but at least it's a start! We just have to continue fighting for this cause and help stamp out cruelty!!!!

Sudilar
10-18-2001, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear that there is some justice, however little it may be.

yorkster
10-18-2001, 06:18 PM
This was so difficult to read........some people can be so cruel, it makes me sick to stomach. Never the less, thank you for posting this- we need to be aware that there are these things that go on in order to take some kind of action.

Freckles
01-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Today on Animal Planet - Busted - there was an enactment of Leo's death and the trial of Andrew Burnett. Very good, with lots of new information.
Sorry, just discovered It was first shown on Jan 14th and last showing is later tonight. I'll watch for future reruns and announce again.

sabies
01-26-2002, 07:15 PM
I hadn't seen this thread before and it just makes me sick. Poor Dexter, I'm glad the person who did that got 7 years, that had to be a sick individual. I had never heard of people poisoning dogs but I have heard of dogs being stolen - I can only imagine how devastated I'd be!!

I saw the lady who's dog was killed by road rage on Oprah. I'd bet she wasn't innocent as far as any altercation before the dog was killed, but the poor dog! People really need to get less angry at each other!

Xena
01-30-2002, 07:46 AM
It is good that they are beginning to see animal cruelty as a serious offense. If the courts could realize that to harm someone's beloved pet this way or any animal that the person has no conscience. They are a danger to any living thing be it a person or an animal.

Xena