PDA

View Full Version : Gross, gross, gross!

micki76
11-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Eww! Why is it that Chester only releases his anal glands on me? :o Seriously. He only ever does it on me. I just had to get up and change clothes, change the sheets and bathe Chester’s behind. Is this a compliment? Is he marking me in some way? If so, he needs to stop. Ick. It’s just soooo gross.

I have candles burning now cause it’s too cold to open a window.

K9karen
11-28-2003, 10:49 PM
You're just SO lucky, I guess!!! :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Tonya
11-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I'm discovering the beauty of anal glands though my kitty, Raven. So lovely. :)

wolf_Q
11-28-2003, 11:19 PM
I don't know...doesn't make much sense. The only time I've ever seen dogs release their anal glands on their own was when they were scared. :confused:

Anal glands have to be one of the nastiest smells on the earth! :o

Twisterdog
11-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I don't know...doesn't make much sense. The only time I've ever seen dogs release their anal glands on their own was when they were scared. :confused:

Anal glands have to be one of the nastiest smells on the earth! :o

I agree, I have never seen that happen unless the dog is afraid.

Have you asked your vet about this, just to be safe?

tikeyas_mom
11-28-2003, 11:41 PM
has chester been licking or dragging his bum lately?? I think that his anal glads were just full and he secreted them lol you just happend to be right in its way hahahaha. I havent learned how to secrete babies anal glads yet, the vet has to show me.. YUK I am not looking forward to it, but I rather have a smally anal gland secretion then a internal infection ;).

Shelteez2
11-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
has chester been licking or dragging his bum lately?? I think that his anal glads were just full and he secreted them lol you just happend to be right in its way hahahaha. I havent learned how to secrete babies anal glads yet, the vet has to show me.. YUK I am not looking forward to it, but I rather have a smally anal gland secretion then a internal infection ;).

At work we never ever express large dog's anal glands. Personally I don't even believe in expressing the vast majority of dog's anal glands. It is something they should be able to take care of themselves if they are fed a proper diet. I also believe that the more you express them, the more you will have to do it, until it becomes a matter of if you don't do it you run into problems.
At work I only do anal glands if the owner specifically asks for it to be done. Mostly I just give a quick check and if they seem full I will try and express them. I will also then tell the owner that they were really full.
One other thing is that I think the way a vet does anal glands is better than how most others do it. Vet's do it internally, and not externally.

sabies
11-29-2003, 12:03 AM
I guess if Sadie did it around me I would know it? I didn't know it was something that could be done . . . sounds yucky.

If it has to do with diet, maybe Chester is telling you he doesn't like his food?

Twisterdog
11-29-2003, 12:09 AM
I guess if Sadie did it around me I would know it?

Oh, brother! Would you ever know! With the possible exception of a skunk, nothing smells worse than anal glands! :eek:

Tonya
11-29-2003, 12:31 AM
I'd smell a skunk over anal glands any day. :)

shais_mom
11-29-2003, 12:35 AM
YUCK!!! Poor You Micki!

dukedogsmom
11-29-2003, 06:42 AM
That is the nastiest smell I've ever smelled! And Duke's only done it once. When he was at the vet and terrified. He was having his teeth cleaned for the first time. I didn't know we were supposed to clean them? I never want to smell that again in my life!

Cookiebaker
11-29-2003, 07:19 AM
We call it "fart art" :p Uggh. It IS the nastiest smell ever!!

cali
11-29-2003, 10:06 AM
I agree that it probably has to do with diet, we have never done or had anything of the sort done to our dogs, ever. well most things have to do with diet, lol

amoore
11-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Poor micki76 ! That makes me think of that song by the J Geils Band " Love Stinks ." :p

micki76
11-29-2003, 11:22 AM
He doesn't do it very often, maybe 3-5 times a year, but he's done it since he was a puppy. He does it regardless of what kind of food he's being fed.

I guess I'm with you Jynelle, I'll take a stinky secretion over an internal infection. I just wish he'd do it somewhere other than on me. I'm glad that he can do it himself and I don't have to do it for him, but a I wish I could get a little warning first! :p

Could be worse though and be something I can't just throw in the washer, like the sofa!

LOL amoore!

amoore
11-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Micki76, I think our sweet pets are worth all the indignities we must endure. :)

wolfsoul
11-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Yuck! :eek:

I read all about how to express your dog's anal glands yourself, just incase. Every site said to make sure there are lots of towles on hand, and to never do it in a small or poorly ventilated room! :eek:

dukedogsmom
11-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
to never do it in a small or poorly ventilated room! :eek:
Boy is that an understatement! You need an arena to do it in.

micki76
11-29-2003, 03:06 PM
LOL. Actually the best place is in the bathtub when you're bathing them. I had to do My westie's every couple of months and the tub was the easiest and cleanest place. That way you just wash it all down the drain! :D I'd never use towels, too messy! :eek:

lizbud
11-29-2003, 05:46 PM
My family Vet of 30 years always recommended removal of
dog's anal glands at the same time he did the neuter. Patients
always had the option of not doing it, but we always did. There
was never any negative consequences. It's a pretty simple
surgical procedure. I'm always surprised that some Vets never
offer that option. He explained how to express the glands & it
didn't take me 2 minutes to decide to have it done.:)

Miss Meow
11-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I've never had the 'pleasure' of smelling anal glands or skunks. Can't say I'm looking forward to it - ewwwwwww!!!