PDA

View Full Version : HELP this dog !!

ilovehounds
03-24-2001, 06:50 AM
If anyone knows someone in this area please contact them

Please spread the word and cross-post. Also, if you can call the shelter, please do so and register your protest! If the shelter is indeed even remotely considering returning the dog to the original owners, this is despicable and deplorable bureaucracy.

*** Is anyone close to Lakeland, Polk County, Florida to try and get this dog adopted? If anyone wants to call and request the shelter NOT release the dog back to the owner, the number is 863-499-2600. Their hours Mon-Fri are
8 to
-------------------------------------------------
Pair charged after dog dragged behind truck KEITH MORELLI of The Tampa Tribune Published: Mar 20, 2001

LAKELAND - A 1-year-old German shepherd mix was recovering Monday night after it was dragged for hundreds of yards behind a pickup truck earlier in the day. Two Lakeland men were arrested on felony animal cruelty charges.

Casey, who belongs to the son of one of the men, suffered deep lacerations and pavement burns all over its body, said Polk County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Michal Shanley. Late Monday night, it appeared Casey would survive, she said.

Shanley said Julian Rangel, 64, of 714 Tennessee Road and Domingo Rangel Sr.,
67, of 722 Tennessee Road each were charged with one count of felony animal cruelty. Both were released from the Polk County Jail after posting $1,000 bail.

Shanley said the dragging occurred at 11:10 a.m. Monday in the 700 block of Tennessee Road. The men tethered the dog, which belonged to Domingo Rangel Jr., to the rear of a 1997 Ford F150 pickup truck and began driving down the road, Shanley said.

``It began with them just bringing the dog back to the son,'' Shanley said.

But the truck ``drove fast enough so that the dog could not keep up and was being dragged,'' Shanley said.

At one point, the men stopped, got out and examined the dog, which was already too injured to stand up, Shanley said.

``They got back into the truck and kept on dragging it,'' she said. The injured animal was dragged 800 yards, she said, until neighbors intervened.

At that point, the men picked up the bleeding dog, tossed it into the bed of the truck and drove to its owner's house, a few blocks away.

Polk County Animal Services will decide whether the dog will be kept and put up for adoption or returned to the owner, Shanley said.

ANIMAL ABUSE-The ultimate act of cowardice and mental
derangement!!

03-24-2001, 04:05 PM
Are there any Internet / Web links to the Polk County Animal Services? I searched and couldn't find any.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-24-2001, 04:45 PM
On the dog General post, I put e.mail addresses to a radio station and television station in Tampa, maybe if we all mail objections to the dog being returned to the owner they will publicize it enough to make a difference to their animal control!

ilovehounds
03-24-2001, 05:26 PM
I don't know if they have an email address, I was sent this message from a friend. I told her about the Pet Talk Board so hopefully she will join and tell you more about it. I'll email her and ask if she knows the emal address. More replies can be sent through email then by phone ( Good Idea :0) )

sammi
03-24-2001, 05:57 PM
I think this is the web link http://www.polk-county.net/Public_Safety/Animal_Service/polk_county_animal_services.htm

03-26-2001, 10:26 AM
Good onya, Sammi ~ That's the correct Polk County at: http://www.polk-county.net/Public_Safety/Animal_Service/polk_county_animal_services.htm (http://www.polk-county.net/Public_Safety/Animal_Service/polk_county_animal_services.htm)

And here's a link to the only e-mail address I could find on the Animal Services site:
[email protected]
[e-mail address corrected 8/09/01 by Phred]

Try sending Mr. Ed deCastro an e-mail suggesting that a very thorough investigation be done before "Casey" is returned to the son of one of the abusers. If it can be proved that the two perpetrators can be prevented from handling the dog in the future, and the "the son" who owns the dog is cut from different cloth than dear old dad, then allow "the son" to re-adopt his dog. If it looks like it could ever happen again, then the County should find poor Casey a new home. "The son" can worry about adopting another dog after he moves away from dad's locale.

>> Please read August Update on page 2 <<
We did NOT know the whole story here!

/s/ Cinder & Smoke's Dad

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]

sammi
03-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Phred, Thanks for giving a suggestion on what to write - I'm ready to send it off by email. Have one question. Should we include are name/add./phone#? Or will they give it merit just by sending it?

Sudilar
03-26-2001, 11:04 AM
I've sent Ed an e-mail asking him to try to save Casey. If we all do, maybe we could accomplish just that.

[email protected]

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Sudilar
03-26-2001, 11:33 AM
My e-mail to decastro comes back undeliverable. Anyone have an e-mail address to reach them?

jackiesdaisy1935
03-26-2001, 03:44 PM
I have sent an e.mail to Eddy deCastro regarding Casey hoping that those men will be prosecuted to the letter of the law and that the dog will not be returned to the original owner and that he would take it upon himself to see that Casey goes to a safe and happy home.
If you click on Phred's address of deCastro the e.mail will come up!

Angels3
03-26-2001, 07:34 PM
We sent an email from australia, saying basically what Cinder & Smoke's Dad suggested. But we added that the US is respected among dog-lovers here because of the many people & facilities which care for dogs...many providing models for people in other countries to follow. We then suggested that the same high standard of animal welfare be applied to Casey.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 26, 2001).]

Angels3
03-26-2001, 07:50 PM
Our email about Casey the dog has just been returned as undeliverable. We'd very much like to get the message thro' that Casey has friends in another country. So does anyone know an email addy that will 'work'?

Somebody here just suggested (jokingly!) we should send the only aussie we know that's currently in the US to go hand-deliver it. That's Russell Crowe who's just won the Oscar for 'Gladiator'. Of course, he would go in full costume & pay a call on the abusers, too. Russell owns a farm here & loves animals...including his cows.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 26, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
03-26-2001, 08:10 PM
Angels3, I just checked my e.mail and my letter to deCastro just came back also. I don't know why, that is the e.mail address on the animal control site.
I am going to look into sending a letter to the tv station there, maybe some publicity will make them think twice.
By the way I saw the movie Gladiator, and I thought Russell Crowe was great. Yaaa for you Aussies.

Cairns4me
03-26-2001, 08:12 PM
Thanks to all of you who have taken the
time to help Casey! It is truly a random
act of kindness! I work in rescue and it
is endless.
"The Earth isn't dying, it's being killed.
And those who are killing it have names
and addresses."

jackiesdaisy1935
03-26-2001, 08:44 PM
I just wrote a note to Kirk Read http://[email protected]
he is the manager of the Channel 8 News in Tampa, Florida. Maybe it will help Casey
if we all write to him to express our outrage and he will look into it!

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited March 26, 2001).]

Angels3
03-26-2001, 09:17 PM
Good on you, jackiesdaisy, for posting a way to help Casey. I'll resend my email there.

03-27-2001, 11:34 AM
We just sent another round of E-mails to some of the other Polk County officials who have links on the site. We'll see if ANY of them are received and possibly answered?

The two that we sent to deCastro have not been returned (yet), but the one sent return receipt hasn't been read either.

Hope Casey can hang in there till someone notices he/she has a problem.

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

wolflady
03-27-2001, 12:15 PM
I posted on this same topic in the Cat Health section, but I thought I would drop in over here. Thanks for the info on people to email and complain to! I'm sure they're going to be hearing a lot from the people on this board. I hope it helps make a difference in that poor dog's life! Casey should NOT be returned to the original owner, but adopted out into a loving home. What were these older men doing with the dog in the first place? Jeesh!!!

margaret
03-27-2001, 01:54 PM
After reading the cross post in the Cats section of this board about Casey, and wanting to do something, I sent a message to that Castro guy at Polk County Animal Services--it came back to me, just as it did for everyone else.

BUT I would also suggest that you send an e-mail message to Jennifer Kelley, the Executive Director of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Lakeland, Polk County, Florida. Her e-mail address is: [email protected]. I sent her a message after I sent one to Castro, asking her to please make sure her organization does everything it can to protect Casey. My message didn't bounce back to me, so at least we know that the address is valid. If you want to see the website of the SPCA of Lakeland, Florida, go to this URL: http://www.lovemyspca.com

jackiesdaisy1935
03-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Margaret, thank you so much for your information, I have sent an e.mail to the manager of channel 8 t.v. station and I also sent an e.mail to the Executive Director for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Thank you for the address. We must unite to prevent cruelty to all animals, they are the innocents of the world.

03-27-2001, 04:21 PM
Good news ~

Seems the Polk County folks have been getting an earful of suggestions about Casey - read the reply I just received:

From Diane Pannebaker, Jim Keene's secretary (he's the Polk County Manager) [a VIP]

"Mr. Keene is out this week, but he did receive several e-mails concerning
"Casey" last week. Mr. Keene has been in close contact with the Animal
Services Director, Eddy deCastro. Until disposition of the criminal case
which is being handled by the Polk County Sheriff's Office, Casey is being
held at Animal Services where they will ask the court to award the dog to
them, to ensure that she gets a safe and happy home. The employees at
Animal Services are taking exceptional care of Casey as she has touched
their hearts as well.

If you have any questions, please give me a call or you can Eddy deCastro,
Animal Services Director at 499-2600."

/s/ Diane Pannebaker
Jim Keene's secretary

Seems like "Casey" has a lot of good people at Polk County on her side! If you still want to write anybody, try to keep yor comments positive - I don't think the Polk Officials need to be badgered - they seem to already know what's the right thing to do in this case.

This e-mail is the one that did *work* to Ms.
Pannebaker and Jim Keene in the Manager's Office: [email protected]

Thanks to all who have become involved!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

/s/ Phred, "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

Sudilar
03-27-2001, 04:42 PM
I sent Jim Keene a thank you e-mail for trying to help! Thanks Phred, for a correct e-mail address!
Sue

jackiesdaisy1935
03-27-2001, 04:57 PM
I also sent a thank you note in regard to their effort in making sure Casey gets to a safe and happy home. Persistance pays off.
Thanks Phred for getting to the right people.
Jackie

Angels3
03-27-2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
If you still want to write anybody, try to keep yor comments positive

/s/ Phred, "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

That's good advice, Phred. There's an old saying, 'You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.'
And it looks like the animal welfare people looking after Casey should be congratulated.

Cairns4me
03-27-2001, 06:19 PM
The Answer I received from Polk County Rescue

The case will go before the court, a judge or a jury depending on what the
defendant's lawyer requests. We will have to follow the will of the court.
The case is not as cut and dry and what the paper states. The owner is a
grown son with children living in a different household. He was not present
while the incident occurred. The father was babysitting the dog while the
son moved into a new home. The father was transporting the dog from his
house to the son's new house while the incident ocurred. The defendants
also have their alibi which may be credible to a jury. The case is being
prepared by the sheriff's department, and the state attorney's office will
prosecute.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 8:55 PM
To: Eddy [email protected]
Subject: Casey

To The Board Of Polk County Rescue,

This letter is in regards to Casey, the German Shepard who
was so abused, that it made me ill, to think that a human would
do such a thing to an animal. I work at a rescue , and
I have seen and heard of animal abuse, but this is horrible.

This dog should not be released to his owner. If his owner left
his friends, relatives or who ever, do this to his pet he is just
as guilty. DO NOT GIVE CASEY BACK to these deranged people.
ANIMAL ABUSE-
The ultimate act of cowardice and mental derangement !

Bonnie

03-28-2001, 02:59 PM
To ALL of "CASEY", the injured Polk County Florida Dog's Friends and Well-Wishers ~

An update relayed to me today from the Very Concerned Polk County Officials who are involved with Casey:

"Casey is doing great, running around inside our medical hospital. Healing very rapidly and is very happy and curious. Her job is to do a pre-sniff all our spay and neuters candidates! ... We [Animal Services] are at present the custodians of the evidence which is Casey the dog. The judge in the case will [determine Casey's release] depending on the outcome of the trial. A custody hearing may be scheduled if he (the judge) deems it necessary." [per Eddy deCastro, Animal Services]

and:
"The problem with Eddy DeCastro's email address has been resolved. I also noticed that one of the message boards has an incorrect address for Mr. DeCastro. The correct email address is: [email protected]
Thanks, BERNIE FILIPPI, Webmaster" [Polk County]

and:
"The link to Mr. deCastro's e-mail address on the Animal Services page was incorrect, but it has now been corrected. Thank you for pointing this out; we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
/s/ Sara C. Hallett, APR, Public Information Director" [Polk County]

On behalf of all of us on the PetTalk BBS ~
A sincere **Thank You** to all of the Polk County Officials who have expressed genuine concern for poor Casey and are bending over backwards to insure that Casey recovers and is placed in a proper and loving home.

Please Note: there are many, many legal complications that prevent the Polk County Officials from making further comments to the public or on a public BBS such as this one. I fell absolutely positive that they will act in the best interests of Casey Dog. We must be patient and believe that justice will prevail and Casey will once again be a happy and safe pup.

/s/ Phred, aka "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

Sudilar
03-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Phred, for all you have done, too! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited March 28, 2001).]

Gio
03-29-2001, 07:27 AM
Thanks a lot Phred for the feedback.
Gio

tatsxxx11
03-29-2001, 06:07 PM
You're the BEST Phred! Thank you for all your effort's on Casey's behalf. You certainly know how to put action behind your words. Big pets and head scratchys to you. Maybe Cinder and Smoke will give you some extra krunchies! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

RachelJ
03-30-2001, 10:56 AM
Thanks to everybody who took the time to get involved in this one. A few extra prayers for Casey's welfare are going up from our house.

sammi
04-06-2001, 12:02 PM
Has anyone heard any news on this story/update on whats going on?

Angels3
04-06-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Phred & Cinder Dog & the Smoke. You're the best!

04-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Sammi and All ~
I wrote Mr. deCastro and asked if he could advise how Casey was doing. I'll post when I get a reply. ... /s/ Cinder's Dad

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

04-09-2001, 02:46 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif CASEY Fans ~

Good News! Here's the answer the Polk County Animal Services Director, Mr. Eddy deCastro, sent to Dad this morning:

"Casey is doing great. She is almost totally healed. A bit mischievious, getting in the clinic's garbage etc... Doing the rounds with the vet in the mornings. She is a happy dog and seems to also be healing emotionally. Her prognosis is for her to be back to 100% without any emotional or physical disabilities.

E.F.de Castro, Director"

Sounds like the gang at Animal Services just might want to keep her as their K-9 Ambassador of Good Will and Chief Mascot http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif.

/s/ Cinder for Dad

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

jackiesdaisy1935
04-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Thanks Cinder and Smokey for the update, that's wonderful news.

Sudilar
04-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Yes, thanks for the update! I hope everything turns out well for her!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Angels3
04-09-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif CASEY Fans ~
Sounds like the gang at Animal Services just might want to keep her as their K-9 Ambassador of Good Will and Chief Mascot http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif.
/s/ Cinder for Dad

Great news, Cinder & Smoke! If you talk with Mr de Castro again, would you tell him that Casey has friends in australia who want to say thank you to the Animal Services for looking after their little mate?
Please keep us updated about this brave little dog.
And thank you, Cinder & Smoke

bugmom
04-11-2001, 12:58 PM
Any new words on this pup's status? bug is extrememly concerned and trying to send get well postcards - except the stamps keep sticking to her paws...at least she can't type right now! (but she can give me those "road trip, mom" eyes!!)
bug's mom

05-02-2001, 01:56 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Casey Fans ~

I inquired about "Casey" today and got an almost instant reply from Eddy de Castro at Animal Services:

"Casey is doing great, totally healed and happy."

No interesting anecdotes this time, but at least the news is good. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

/s/ Phred, the Kids' Dad

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

Sudilar
05-02-2001, 03:56 PM
That made my day!!! Great news!!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

tatsxxx11
05-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Thanks Phred! It's nice to hear some good news. Hugs to the Cinder and Smokste!

Dixie Belle
05-02-2001, 09:14 PM
I know it has been a month and no one else has been on here, but I was wondering what the judge decided to do. Wish I had found this sooner, I think I'm closer to Flordia than anyone else. Does anyone know what the judge decided?

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2001, 01:50 PM
August Update on "Casey"

Dad fired off an e-mail to Mr. de Castro asking for any news on "Casey". Mr. de Castro answered real quickly with the following:

"The dog is fine and went home several weeks ago. She went home spayed, vaccinated and in perfect health. The State Attorney's Office ruled the incident an accident.
We did a background investigation on the owner (The adult son of the accused), finding no cause or proof that would allowed us to take the dog away. Remember the son was moving, and gave the dad the dog for a few days to keep it. The incident ocurred on the day that the dog was being transported back to his owner, (the son), by the dad. The dad was driving and an uncle was with the dog in the back of the pick-up truck when the dog jumped out. By the time the uncle was able to communicate to problem to the driver the dog had dragged a number of yards. Be advised that both the dad and uncle are senior citizens."

Thanks to Mr. de Castro and his Staff for all their good work to restore Casey to good health and for investigating her home environment. Sounds like they run a First Class Shelter! :D

My first reaction :mad: to this case was that the Old Coots should have been dragged to jail behind one of the shelter's trucks and then had the cell key tossed away...

But I've come to believe that it was probably just a horrible accident that the old gents didn't know was happening :(. Until today, I hadn't read that one of the gentlemen was actually riding in back with Casey. Thankfully Casey recovered without permanent damage and is hopefully happy :) with her return to her original family.

If anyone feels the need ~ a quick "Thank You" to Mr. de Castro and his Staff might go a long way towards letting them know that all of us at Pet Talk appreciate what they do for the critters in Polk County, Florida. His e-mail is:
[email protected]

Sudilar
08-09-2001, 03:53 PM
Cinder and The Smoke-pup,

I sent out a thank you letter to Mr. Decastro! So very glad this case has a happy ending!

In less than 5 minutes, Mr. De castro's office sent me a thank you for thanking them!! Wow, that was fast!!

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

delidog
08-09-2001, 05:08 PM
i remember when this first came out....thanks for being on top of it cinder and smoke!!!!! i know who to ask if boomer and precious need help!!!!! i am ssooo glad this story had a happy ending!!!!!! :) the deli dog