PDA

View Full Version : Hyper pup needs home

Corinna
03-22-2001, 12:02 AM
Hey I have a sad tail I hope some one out there can help me. Neighbors daugther wouldn't listen and got a blue heeler and aussie shepard cross. He's about 4 months old just was neutered today. He's too hyper with her young kids 5 and 6years old. Plus they live in town.DUH!!!! Hope some one has a place in the country and a big heart. Hes a nice dog just a puppy,and not an town dog. He has terrific herding skills as naturalas can be. Please contact me soon not sure how long she'll hold him be for taking him to the pound. Someone close toMontana must need a wonderful working furkid.

tatsxxx11
03-22-2001, 08:22 PM
Oh gosh! Sure wish people researched the breed of dog that they adopt before taking the plunge; if ever there was a dog in need of space and "work" it's a cross like this fellow! Have they tried placing an ad in the paper? Some times pure-breed rescues do consider mixes; maybe she could try contacting aussie or heeler rescues in the area. And of course the internet, is she has access. At least in Montana there might be greater hope for a home with plenty of open space and perhaps the need for a herder! How sad that the poor pup just was neutered today, barely healing, and already they're considering taking him to the pound. I know there is a memeber of the forum, blue-heeler (?) who might be able to offer more advice. Another sad story. I hope the puppy finds a home. Please encourage the family to try and wait just a while longer to give him the best chance for adoption, if possible. Best of luck and hugs to the poor puppy.

Corinna
03-23-2001, 11:31 AM
I know it's another one of those Wal-mart front door specials. I wish there was a way to stop that practice. I work on the spay and neuter clinic locally I hand out cards for discounts to give new owners and the parent owner. Also a pamplet that shows a shocking photo from a large city that puts down 100 or more a week. The animals are in 50 gallion barrels. Sometimes people have to see the truth. I hope I at least make them think. When we have our monthly clinics we have been doing about 75 dogs and 80 cats for the last 6 months. We now have our own facility soon will have a weekly (hope)clinic. We just don't want to burn out our volenteer vets.

Angels3
03-23-2001, 08:06 PM
Corinna, good on you for caring about this pup & tatsxxx11 for your wise words & advice. I'm on a global tibbie list & I remember there was a wonderful animal shelter in Montana that was just great to a little abandoned tibetan spaniel. I know Montana is a big state but I'll try to retrieve the name of that shelter. They, at least, might be able to recommend a rescue group or no-kill rehoming shelter closer to where you live.

Angels3
03-23-2001, 08:18 PM
I've found the track we took to locate that shelter in Monatana for the tibbie. The Helping Paws Society has a website that lists all the rehoming shelters & rescue groups in Montana (with a map for reference). They can also be emailed for advice. Go to http://www.helpingpaw.org/sheltersmontana.html

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 23, 2001).]

Corinna
03-23-2001, 11:48 PM
Thanks angel The one in Kalispell or whitefish are the closest. I live east of them and the dog is in kalispell. it was an intresting site . I didn't know it was out there. Thanks now if I can just stay away from it so I don't bring home someone else. My hubby would leave me, too many critters now (his words not mine never too many).

tatsxxx11
03-31-2001, 03:48 PM
Hi Corinna...Any luck in placing the puppy? I keep thinking of the dear creature healing and needing a home. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif Thank you for trying so to help. And Angels, what a great reference! And how DO you know so much about "the states!?" I dare say you probably know more U.S. geography than most high schoolers! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif You're such a terrific member of this world wide animal "family" forum!!

Angels3
03-31-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
And Angels, what a great reference! And how DO you know so much about "the states!?"

tatsxxx11, I'm part of a tibetan spaniel global village...an email list for owners of tibbies. We have many north american people on that list so we are constantly supporting them in tibbie rescues in the USA. The internet makes it possible for us to have a worldwide 'tibbie family'. Right now the call has gone out that a Tibbie in a shelter in New Bern, North Carolina needs a home.
When we were trying to rehome a rescue tib in australia recently, one of the US people loved her so much that she's now become the little tibbie's US godmother...& receives frequent updates about this sweet little dog.
So this is how we all learn about the geography of other countries on the tibbie list.
It's easy to be a 'good' member of the Dog of the Day forums. Karen's heard this before...but this is the most wonderful group of people on any forum on the net. I'm surrounded by great pet lovers & caring people on this site!!!!! And I learn heaps from the these people, too.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited April 01, 2001).]

Genia
04-01-2001, 01:45 AM
Just read this and thought it would be an interesting bit to add to this topic. I got this from my Yahoo Daily Dog Tips.

Pets' Number One Killer

The biggest killer of cats and dogs today isn't some deadly disease. The worst threat to our pets is human indifference.
Each year, animal shelters are forced to put to sleep about twelve million cats, dogs and other pets in the United States. To relieve pet overpopulation, pet lending libraries are more common than ever. They allow potential owners to try a pet on a trial basis. Some shelters take potential adoptees to zoos where people who care about animals already hang out.
Other unique programs include spay shuttles and adoption vans where shelters reach out to communities. Don't contribute to the problem: spay or neuter your pet early.

I had never heard of a "pet lending library". I have to worry about the poor pets going from home to home. It has to leave the poor animal thinking that he'll never belong, even if he does find a permanent home. On the other hand, it does make people realize exactly what goes into caring for a pet and determining if a particular pet or breed is right for them.

RachelJ
04-01-2001, 10:20 AM
I think with proper guidelines and counseling the Pet Lending Library concept is an excellent idea. I really think quite a few dogs adapt quite well to new surroundings and situations...and generally anything other than being in those cages at the shelter is preferable. I was so doubtful when I "adopted" Tucker. I was concerned if my current dog and he would get along and whether we could bond. Tucker had been adopted from a shelter by a family and after six week they were going to take him back. The lady knew we were wanting to adopt. I didn't want a male but told her I would take a look at him. She brought him over and said we could keep him for the weekend and see how things went. Well, it didn't take a weekend, only a couple hours for me to know this was our dog. But really that "trial run option" was what gave me the extra push to go for it. If you haven't done this before, one can be easily swayed to just "get a puppy" instead. If this method can be used to help certain people who otherwise would not adopt, I think it would give more dogs a chance. The counseling and interviews should hopefully help screen out people who are triffling to begin with. We all know taking in a pet is a big change in life stlye. I'm for people who are trying to think of new ways to get some of these dogs a permanent home. There will always be folks who shouldn't have dogs to begin with and will bring them back. But they are there anyway. That's how we get the dogs in the shelters in the first place.

Corinna
04-01-2001, 11:09 AM
Well an update on the little boy. After placing an ad in the paper ,getting about 20 calls and interveiwing about 5 couples the neighbor has decided he must be worth something so shes keeping him. (I think her kids helped in the desion too) I want to thank every one who wrote about this little guy its great to know I'm not the only one that feels that way about my furkids.

RachelJ
04-01-2001, 05:20 PM
Now the challenge is how to help her to learn to provide the training and mental and phycial stimulation this dog needs.

tatsxxx11
04-01-2001, 07:42 PM
Sometimes we need others to open our eyes to the true value of what we have. I'm happy for the little guy and hope that his family has thought over their decision thoroughly, and that the pup will be appreciated for all his wonderful qualities. You did a great job!! Hug the kid for me when you see him, OK?