PDA

View Full Version : I know this is disgusting, sorry....

Tonya
11-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Ok. I am so so sorry for this post. It is going to be totally gross, so if you are eating, don't read it.

Remember how I was saying that someone was having potty accidents? First I thought it was Raven because she's skittish and tends to do strange things. Then, I decided it was Ron because he was sick.

Well, we finally kinda sorta caught the culprit. Gosh, this is so gross I don't know if I want to ask. She was laying with Mike and she suddenly ran off. His blanket suddenly smelled, and I made this disgusting discovery. It's not pee. The strange smell and wetness that we have been finding is a clear fluid that is coming out of her bottom. It's not constantly flowing, just here and there.

Of course, I am taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow. I am more grossed out then the idea of potty accidents.

I hope Raven doesn't get mad at me for telling her embarrassing secret.

Does anyone know what this could be? I sure hope it isn't serious. It sure seems odd to me.

shais_mom
11-27-2003, 11:03 PM
it might be anal fluid from anal glands
not sure if cats need them expressed like dogs do.
Good luck!

wolf_Q
11-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
it might be anal fluid from anal glands
not sure if cats need them expressed like dogs do.
Good luck!

I was thinking the same thing....anal glands smell NASTY!!

CatDad
11-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Well it's not something I would discuss in polite conversation. However, it is not that bad. Thanks for the warning however, at least I was prepared.

I had not thought about the anal glands that shais_mom and wolf_Q had mentioned. I haven't run across that, but does not mean that it doesn't exist for kitties. I was thinking that it could also be some sort of intestinal issue. No other ideas beyond that vague thought.

Well, you are doing the best thing however and taking Raven to the vet.

Please let us know what the vet says and how Raven is doing.

Kirsten
11-28-2003, 04:03 AM
I think usually cats don't use their anal glends in the way that they "spray" the fluid onto things. Usually a small amount of anal glend fluid covers the poo, it's released from the glends while the cat is presssing.

It can happen that - for example when a cat has diarrhea and doesn't need to press so hard - that too much fluid remains in the glend which can lead to imflammation. Maybe this is what Raven has. But I'm sure the vet will find out.

Kirsten

Tonya
11-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks, everyone. The anal gland thing sounds like a good explanation. That hadn't even crossed my mind. I'll let you know.

jenluckenbach
11-28-2003, 07:24 AM
My RB cat Y.Lee did that thing with the glands. If they were not expressed regularly, they could "blow" unexpectadly. And of course, it was usually in bed. :p

Cataholic
11-28-2003, 07:31 AM
I will take stinky over life threatening any day....as I know you feel too, Tonya! Let's hope it is anal glands, and you can learn how to express them at home. My sister's lhasa apso needed this done all the time...but, no big deal!

Keep us posted..

catlover4ever
11-28-2003, 08:25 AM
I think it is the glands as well. Mystic has something like that only hers are not constant. I usually check her every other day and clean her back end for her. She hates it when I do it to her but if I don't give her a cleaning then she ends up getting pretty smelly back there.

Tonya
11-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Oh, dear...expressing anal glands sounds so uncool.

"Mike, can you do me a favor please?"

hehe. :p

Her appointment is at 3:45 today. That's what the vet said it sounds like too.

amoore
11-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Let us know what the vet says . I have never seen a cat do that .
I hope it is nothing serious .:(

catmandu
11-28-2003, 09:35 AM
we at the Found Cats are praying that Raven is OK. I ahve not had this happen to us , but it does sound like Glads! We are praying for Raven to get well!!!!

Tonya
11-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Thank you everyone. The vet said that her glands are swollen and infected. He drained them out and put her on antibiotics. He said that if they don't get better, he'll put her under and flush them out.

Tonya
11-29-2003, 12:32 AM
BTW, I brought my poor friend that is up here visiting. I haven't seen her in about a year. What a pleasant way to spend quality time together. She literally turned green. If I wasn't Raven's mommy, I think I would have too.

amoore
11-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Tonya , Im so glad that Raven is going to be alright . Thankyou for keeping us informed about her . She is such a sweetheart .:)