Because they can.

Amber
11-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
lol and to say "I love you" of course!

lol!! :p :p

CountryWolf07
11-27-2003, 09:43 PM
LOL... yeah.. lick us, that's what I meant.

Shelteez2
11-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
LOL... yeah.. lick us, that's what I meant.

Because you taste good.....:p

CountryWolf07
11-27-2003, 09:49 PM
LOL

Kfamr
11-27-2003, 09:51 PM
I've heard some people say it's because they want to try to make you throw up, so they can eat it (survival type things) I'm not sure how true it is

But, I think mine do it just cause thye love us. Nala is so sweet, she loves to give kisses & she's so calm and gentle when she does it.

Shelteez2
11-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I've heard some people say it's because they want to try to make you throw up, so they can eat it (survival type things) I'm not sure how true it is

But, I think mine do it just cause thye love us. Nala is so sweet, she loves to give kisses & she's so calm and gentle when she does it.

I've heard that too, but you think they'd stop when you didn't regurgitate your dinner for them.....LOL

Actually I've heard that it's a sign of submissiveness as young dogs would go up and lick older dogs mouths.

I agree with whoever said it's because they can, LOL

amoore
11-27-2003, 10:01 PM
Tiny has always been a face-licker and kisser. Now if you happen to have your mouth open.......maybe she is a French Chihuahua? :eek:

Jojo never licks.

*FlatCoatsRule*
11-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Because they can and because your skin tastes like salt. My dog always tries to lick all the lotion of my mom after she puts it on cause they think it tastes good. :rolleyes: :confused: :p It's a part of dogness. :) I've heard where in the wild, they lick the mother's mouth so that they throw up, but I've never heard that they do that for people, I mean, they might, but, I always thought they were doing it in a loving way, because they know you'll feed them later, they don't need to beg for you to throw up food. ;)

wolfsoul
11-28-2003, 12:35 AM
It's true, that it's believed that licking is a primal urge to ask for food. They also like the taste of salt on your skin from you sweat.

tikeyas_mom
11-28-2003, 12:57 AM
dogs in the wold clean other members of the pack, it is a bonding thing. Some ppl dont let their dogs lick because it is groose, I love it :D.. I love to know my dogs love me ;)... and thats how I know they do.

amoore
11-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Tikeyas mom , I feel the same as you . I think Tiny is just being affectionate . Maybe that is a way dogs show their love .:)

K9soul
11-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Wolf pups will lick their elders' mouths as a begging for food, but it has also been seen that other pack members will mimic this "puppy" behavior with their alpha. It is believed that when the adults do this it is more a sign of greeting/homage to their alpha than a desire for food.

I think just as there are different barks, there are different "licks." With my own pups there is the rapid, excited licking of the face, and that reminds me of the puppyish greeting of their elders. Then sometimes one will settle and systematically lick my hand or foot all over, and this to me is more of a grooming behavior, the bonding with the pack as Tikeyas mom mentioned. Finally of course there is the "tasting" aspect, like the skin lotion, or I know when ever I put chapstick on Tasha tries to lick at my lips because she smells it. I'm not so sure on the "salt" theory. Certainly if they are licking you while you are sweating that would seem to explain it, but I think overall there are varying behavioral reasons and no one explanation that fits every case. :)

wolfsoul
11-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by K9soul
Then sometimes one will settle and systematically lick my hand or foot all over, and this to me is more of a grooming behavior, the bonding with the pack as Tikeyas mom mentioned.
I love it when Timber does that. :D I'll sit at the computer or somewhere and point to my leg and she'll immediatly start "grooming" it. It feels so good lol.

I don't like it when Leather licks me because her saliva is sort of sticky and gross feeling lol.

K9soul
11-28-2003, 11:17 AM
I love it when Timber does that. I'll sit at the computer or somewhere and point to my leg and she'll immediatly start "grooming" it. It feels so good lol.

I don't like it when Leather licks me because her saliva is sort of sticky and gross feeling lol.

I know what you mean there too. Tasha's licks seem a lot 'dryer' and Tommy's are more wet and sloppy :p. When Tasha is 'cleaning' my hand, she even pushes her tongue in between each of my fingers to make sure she gets all of me. It actually does feel good, like a massage. She is so sweet :D

pitc9
11-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Sierra licks everyone and everything she gets the chance to!!
Legs, Arms, Hands, Face, Socks, Pants, everything and anything she gets her tounge on.... she licks!!

Buddy, he just licks to kiss me, and always seems to wait till I have my mouth open (what a pervert):D

amoore
11-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Sierra sounds like Tiny ! Could it be , they are just showing us love the way their mother did to them ?