PDA

View Full Version : Boxing/Wrestling-- Right or Wrong?

Kfamr
11-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Ok, we're talking about this right now.

A pretty good point was brought up, that they don't let animals fight -- so why should it be legal for humans to do so?

But, this I brought up that humans have the choice to box/wrestle. Animals don't. Animals do what their masters tell them, or what a human forces them to do.

So, how do you feel about it?

Tonya
11-27-2003, 08:38 PM
I don't have a problem with it, as long as it is the person's choice. I'm involved in boxing and Muay Thai kickboxing. What upsets me is the 10-13 year old kids who are out there getting bloody. Sometimes I am not all that sure they are doing it for themselves. It seems like they're fighting to make their dads happy. Jaden watches me work out, so he always ask me if he can. I'd let him work out there when he's 8 or so but I wouldn't let him fight competitively until he was at least 13. There are a few kids that I work out with who's parents won't allow them to fight.

2kitties
11-28-2003, 07:06 AM
If two idiots want to beat the snot out of one another... I'll pay to watch it!:D

Cincy'sMom
11-28-2003, 08:55 AM
I was a scorekeeper for the Wrestling Team when I was in High School. I think inthat case, they do try and make sure the kids don't get seriously hurt. Of course, accidents do happen and people do get hurt.

In the case of professional boxing, I think like Kay said, it is a decision a person can make. adog can't. And in general, there are still rules that try to make things safer. I don't know a lot about dog fighting, but thought it was more "to the death".

Tonya
11-28-2003, 09:21 AM
I must say, I consider wrestling, boxing with gloves, etc...a sport.

Some of my friends do the ultimate fighting and cage fighting. That's bare fisted and flat out gory. I can't stand that. I think that is totally wrong and I refuse to watch. I think that is totally barbaric.

RubyMutt
11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
humans have the choice to box/wrestle. Animals don't.

Exactly.

I don't have a problem w/ two humans voluntarily fighting. If that's what they want to do w/ their lives, more power to them. Who are we to tell them not to? It's their lives and they know the risks.

Tonya
11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Ok, I have to brag too. This is my good friend, professional kickboxer and boxer. He is #1 in the US and #2 in the world. I guess there's actually currently a appeal going for the world title fight, the judges may change it and make him #1. I am so proud of him! He's worked so hard for this.

Carter in the White shorts:

http://www.k-1usa.net/images/gallery/646.jpg

Carter in the red shorts:

http://www.k-1usa.net/images/news/large/102003.gif

Twisterdog
11-29-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Exactly.

I don't have a problem w/ two humans voluntarily fighting. If that's what they want to do w/ their lives, more power to them. Who are we to tell them not to? It's their lives and they know the risks.

I agree.

G.P.girl
11-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I must say, I consider wrestling, boxing with gloves, etc...a sport.

Some of my friends do the ultimate fighting and cage fighting. That's bare fisted and flat out gory. I can't stand that. I think that is totally wrong and I refuse to watch. I think that is totally barbaric.
yeah i agree.
how ironic, i was just thinking about that this morning!
but it's the humans' choice if they want to beat eachother up. the animals don't have achoice!

carole
11-29-2003, 03:48 AM
I guess I am in agreement with most of you, if they want to choose to do this with their lives, so be it, I am not a fan for sure, especially of boxing, alot of boxers end up punch drunk, a condition they are left with after boxing for some time.

I don't mind a bit of wrestling now and then, infact I used to be a fan, in the old days, and now I have to admit, some of the guys are just plain hunks, not the big blobs they used to be, they are fit and in real good shape, and their faces are not to hard on the eye either, but often I think the wrestling is all acted out, but I am sure some get injured as well.

It is weird how we humans like to fight, chase balls, and hit balls , we would appear to be odd to aliens wouldn't we now.

mahayana
11-29-2003, 06:38 AM
The Romans had their gladiators. We have boxing, wrestling, and violence in the media.

Fighting and witnessing fighting is all about a free "high"- adrenaline.

None of this is as dangerous as our other human propensity, having wars.

primabella
11-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Exactly.

I agree. I am not a fan of either of the sports but if people want to do it, let them. And as Kay said, a dog can't make a choice like a human can.

I just know I hate wrestling because for the first few years of high school that's all the guys in my class spoke about and it drove me crazy! :p

RubyMutt
11-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by primabella
I just know I hate wrestling because for the first few years of high school that's all the guys in my class spoke about and it drove me crazy! :p

Oh goodness, I cannot stand the WWE! It's just so... LAME! One of my good friends is OBSESSED with it. She even has a couple of wrestler's (the Hardy Boy's) symbol tattooed on her arm :eek: The WWE is just so fakey. It's like a soap opera where people beat each other up :p

Dogz
11-29-2003, 11:08 AM
But, this I brought up that humans have the choice to box/wrestle. Animals don't. Animals do what their masters tell them, or what a human forces them to do.

Agreed.

micki76
11-29-2003, 11:44 AM

I agree.

Human wrestlers/boxers aren't beaten/burned/shocked to make them killers. They aren't given live bunnies or cats or small dogs or puppies and taught to kill them. Human wrestlers/boxers aren't trained to fight to the death, and they aren't brutalized or mistreated. Humans aren't killed if they aren't good fighters.

To me, you can't even compare wrestling/boxing to dog fighting.

Miss Meow
11-30-2003, 12:05 AM
It's just a sport like any other, except the risk of cauliflower ears and flat noses is high :)

I respect the hard work and discipline that boxers of all kinds put into their sport. They need razor sharp reflexes, be able to anticipate the opponent's movements, all while co-ordinating hands and feet and head. The fight is just the bit at the end.

There was a big hoo haa here a while ago about female boxers possibly being banned from the sport. Again, it's the individual's choice to participate in the sport, whether they need padded bras or padded shorts ;)

smokey the elder
11-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Oh goodness, I cannot stand the WWE! It's just so... LAME! One of my good friends is OBSESSED with it. She even has a couple of wrestler's (the Hardy Boy's) symbol tattooed on her arm :eek: The WWE is just so fakey. It's like a soap opera where people beat each other up :p

Well...yeah! But they make no bones about it, not like it used to be. Wrestling must be considered with one's tongue firmly implanted in cheek.:) :D

mahayana
11-30-2003, 08:43 AM
I will watch a boxing match if I come across one channel surfing, but always turn off pro wrestling.

Boxing almost seems like a gentleman's sport compared to other unarmed hand-to-hand fighting.

I did wrestle in High School, the kind with weight classes, where you start in position and win by pinning the other guy on the mat. That is a sport; pro wrestlong is a show.

Have any of you taken self-defense style fighting classes? Or been in a fist-fight, gotten mugged, attacked, etc? Just curious.

mugsy
11-30-2003, 10:01 AM
I simply DETEST professional wrestling because it is just plain stupid. I was a Mat Maid in high school (basically managers for the wrestling team) and enjoyed that a lot and still do. That actually takes a lot of skill.

As for boxing, that's another one I don't like.

However, if 2 idiots want to beat the bloody hell out of each other....have at it. It's their brains that will be mush by the time they finish their careers.

As for animal fighting and a humans fighting as a means of comparison, it's not a valid comparison. Like you said Kay, animals don't have a choice in the matter and humans are able to say yay or nay.

Just my opinion.

Tonya
11-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
It's just a sport like any other, except the risk of cauliflower ears and flat noses is high :)

I respect the hard work and discipline that boxers of all kinds put into their sport. They need razor sharp reflexes, be able to anticipate the opponent's movements, all while co-ordinating hands and feet and head. The fight is just the bit at the end.

There was a big hoo haa here a while ago about female boxers possibly being banned from the sport. Again, it's the individual's choice to participate in the sport, whether they need padded bras or padded shorts ;)

Cauliflower ears are so disgusting!!

RICHARD
11-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I was a Mat Maid in high school

Is that anything like a Hooters girl?:eek:

Cauliflower ears???

I do like artichoke hearts.....:rolleyes:

Twisterdog
11-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by micki76
I agree.

Human wrestlers/boxers aren't beaten/burned/shocked to make them killers. They aren't given live bunnies or cats or small dogs or puppies and taught to kill them. Human wrestlers/boxers aren't trained to fight to the death, and they aren't brutalized or mistreated. Humans aren't killed if they aren't good fighters.

To me, you can't even compare wrestling/boxing to dog fighting.

Excellent post.

smokey the elder
12-01-2003, 08:08 AM
I studied Tae Kwon Do for 10 years and Aikido for 7. I actually got attacked once, about 18 years ago. I fought the guy off and he ran away. The cop asked for a description; I told him 5'10" and 185 lbs. When the cops caught up with the guy, I went to the cop shop to do the report. The lady cop told me he was actually 6'5" and 225 lbs. I think I dropped his size in my mind so I wouldn't be psyched out.

Martial arts training kept me from freezing and panicking, much more than giving me fancy techniques to use on the guy. It took a long time to get over it, and to this day can't tolerate anyone following me at a close distance.