PDA

View Full Version : Meet Rizzo!

Twink
11-25-2003, 07:20 AM
Hello! I've been lurking here for a while, and the urge to introduce my boy to everyone has just become irresistible. :D

Rizzo was a bit of a shot in the dark for us. Neither my husband nor I have ever had an indoor cat . . . or dog . . . or hamster . . . well, you get the idea. I had budgies growing up, but it's hard to apply budgie experience to cats! Also, Rizzo was a stray who showed up at the doorstep of a co-worker, bedraggled and skinny (but obviously someone's runaway pet). My co-worker was worried about him, because no one came to claim him and she was fast getting attached. Her other cat, though, was not about to share her mom with some usurper! My friend was afraid she was going to have to take the new boy to a shelter. But my husband and I talked it over, and after much hemming and hawing (and shopping!), we became cat parents!

Fortunately, the fuzzy little being that we accepted sight unseen happens to be a wonderful boy! He was about five months old when he came to us, and is about 9-1/2 months now. He is, to quote a phrase I read here once, "Maine Coonish." He has every Maine Coon trait I've ever read about, with the exception of lynx-tipped ears and a "tiny" voice. Rizzo doesn't chirp, he wails. About everything. His yowls range from piteous to joyful to imperious, but they all have one thing in common...they're loud! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Rizz is a great cat. He's enormous amounts of kittenish fun, he's endearing, he's clingy, he's gentle, and he's the softest cat I've ever felt. I think he wants to look just like Catdad's Bob when he grows up. Think he'll make it? ;) (Item: when do cats stop growing? Rizz is about 10 lbs now, and I'm wondering if he'll grow any more.) Here are a few pictures of our little muffin. They're not great quality, but they give you the idea. Thanks for letting me share my first "baby!"

catnapper
11-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Very handsome devil! Love the bushy tail and strong markings on his face... of course I'm a bit biased towards striped animals (all 3 of mine are striped - dog included!):)

K & L
11-25-2003, 08:05 AM
What a beauty!!! He reminds me of our Bear.

lynnestankard
11-25-2003, 08:27 AM
What a sweetie-pie - just waiting for nose kissies I'll bet!!

Big Welcome to Pet Talk Twink - glad you took the plunge and joined in. :D :D

Lynne

Barbara
11-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Welcome to PT Twink and Rizzo. What a nice story.

Rizzo looks as if he intended to become a handsome hunk of a cat -he won't stop growing until over a year old. Tigris is 13 lb now and he is big regarding the framework;) (Got this from his Siberian granddad.) If he got any bigger I would think about a diet but he keeps his weight since he is adult.

Looking forward to hearing more about Rizzo

:)

catlover4ever
11-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Twink welcome to Pet Talk. Your boy Rizzo is absolutely adorable and so very handsome. Thank you for sharing his story with us. I look forward to hearing and seeing more of Rizzo.

Randi
11-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Welcome to PT! :) Aww, what a gorgeous boy Rizzo is. I'm glad that your husband and you decided to take him - and I bet you are too! ;)

Looking forward to hear more about Rizzo and see pics!

I have an orange tabby, 7 years old, he weighs nearly 8 kg. :eek:

catmandu
11-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Hello to Rizzo , from all us Found Cats and the Feeder! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW!

CatDad
11-25-2003, 07:28 PM
First of all, Welcome to PT:D I am very happy that you decieded to let us see your boy.:)

He is a real cutie pie. He does look kind of look like my Bob. He sounds like a real great kitty. It does not matter if he is a Maine or not, he is still a great cat.

Just to let you know MC males average about 14 - 18 lbs when fully grown. Also, a MC will be mostly grown at one year, but they will contiue to mature and gain a little weight until about 3 or 4 years. It is great because they retain alot of there kitten side until then.:D Obviously that is just in general and all cats are different.

I am also looking forward to seeing and hearing more about Rizzo.

BTW - I am sure that you know as you have been lurking for a while, but you can never post too many pictures.;)

rg_girlca
11-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Catdad aka Bryan, you are always so informative in helping people with any question that is brought forward. I love it.:)

Twink, welcome to Pet Talk, I'm glad you decided to come forward and tell us about your adorable Rizzo. I'm so glad to read that you and your hubby decided to take him in.:)
Hope to hear more from you and of course to see more pics of Rizzo.

krazyaboutkatz
11-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Twink. :) Rizzo is so handsome and does look like a Maine Coon mix. My furkid Storm is also a Maine Coon mix and is 14lbs now. I look forward to hearing more about Rizzo and seeing many more pics of him too. :)

CatDad
11-25-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Catdad aka Bryan, you are always so informative in helping people with any question that is brought forward. I love it.:)

Ah gosh. Just trying to help, if I can.;) Thanks, Lorraine!:)

I just happen to have done a lot of reading on Maines Coons. Gee, wonder why?:p

jazzcat
11-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Rizzo is adorable. I bet he will be quite large when fully grown.

Ripley weighs about 19 pounds right now but the vet would prefer 18. He's a Maine Coon mix and pushing 12 years old. He got extremely sick last year and got down to 15 pounds and looked so strange. Luckily he has been very healthy this year.

11-26-2003, 04:44 AM
WELCOME TO PT !!!

IttyBittyKitty
11-26-2003, 05:38 AM
He's HUGE!! And he's only nine months old too! What an adorable hunk of kitty love! Definitely some Maine Coon in there ... as for the wailing, my Ragdoll does that and isn't it hard on the ears? LOL!

Twink
11-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
... as for the wailing, my Ragdoll does that and isn't it hard on the ears? LOL!

Oh, only at two o'clock in the morning! :rolleyes: Rizz isn't a jumper ("Whoohoo!" cry my counter-tops!), and our bed is very tall. If I've recently clipped his claws and taken away his traction, he finds it next to impossible to hop into bed with us. So in the wee hours when he wants a snuggle, he wanders around the foot of the bed hollering, knowing very well that sooner or later I'll sit up and give him a boost! And then he proceeds to purr so loudly that it's impossible to get back to sleep. And I find this endearing! If anyone else deprived me of my sleep in such a manner, I'd have to throttle them. ;)

Twink
11-26-2003, 07:24 AM
And thanks for the welcome, everyone! Hugs to all your kitties!:)

Vio&Juni
11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Rizzo looks and in many ways is like my Pichu, though Pichu squeaks like a squeaky toy :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p3d93d5bcfeb2fcb7512def7c378f94a4/fabfd786.jpg

Twink
11-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Aww, Pichu looks like he needs to get squeezed like a squeaky toy, too! Yep, they have about the same level of fluffy and cute going on. :) How old is Pichu?

Vio&Juni
11-27-2003, 01:29 AM
In this picture (a month ago) he must have been about 5 months or so. He is a very lovable boy!

amoore
11-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk ! Rizzo is very beautiful ! We expect lots of pictures . :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-28-2003, 03:53 AM
Rizzo is gorgeous! What a wonderful happy ending to his story - thankyou for giving him such a wonderful caring home.

And welcome to Pet Talk - I am sure you will love it here!