PDA

View Full Version : Katie's pottie problem SOLVED!!!!

stacwase
11-23-2003, 09:38 PM
I just thought of a way to save Katie's pottie problem!

As many of you may remember, I've been extremely frustrated with Katie because she keeps peeing on the couch. She does not have a medical problem, and her litter boxes (all 3 of them) are immaculately clean.

If Katie manages to get into the living room when I'm not there, she quickly wets the couch. I've washed the cushion covers more times than I want to count.

I've been trying to keep her in a crate whenever I can't keep an eye on her, but she seems to disappear whenever I want to put her in it. Then, when I get in the bath or whatever, she leaves me a nice surprise. It was getting to the point that I thought I might have no other choice than to find her another home. I mean - I couldn't sit on my own sofas! If I did, I'd get up stinking.

So - drumroll please - I've decided to put a remote control key locator on her collar! That way when I need to find her I can just press a button and her collar will start beeping! Then I can put her safely in her crate.

What do you think?? Stroke of genius?? I ordered the key locator today. I can't wait to see if it works!:cool: :cool:

Tonya
11-23-2003, 09:45 PM
OMG! You are a genius! Where'd you order them from?! I need several!

catcrazylady
11-23-2003, 10:04 PM
What a cool idea!!! Never heard of such! I would love to see her face the first time her collar starts beeping!!!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Did you ever try those pet mats that I have heard other PTer's talking about? I looked them up on line and I would say that they would work. They are kind of expensive but so is a COUCH!!

Katie is so CUTE and you have been so patient with her! Little booger! She has made you a very inventive person!! Thanks for all the ideashttp://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif This could come in handy for all of us one day!
Can't wait for the update!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

zippy-kat
11-23-2003, 10:18 PM
That would scare the living daylights out of my cats!!:eek:

NoahsMommy
11-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
That would scare the living daylights out of my cats!!:eek:
I was just thinking that. I hope this locator isn't too terribly loud. :(

Its a good thought, but it may really scare her into a worse behavioral issue.

stacwase
11-24-2003, 06:00 AM
I never thought of it scaring her! I wondered if it would hurt her ears, though. I imagine it's about as loud as the pager on a telephone.

Well - if it does scare her then I will just use it differently. I will make it beep every time she gets on the couch! :D

I got it on ebay for $30 and it has one base unit and 4 locators. So - I can put one on Katie, one on each key ring and one on my purse!

I have heard of the Scat Mats, but I don't want to use them because Jake likes to sleep on the couches.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out how it works!

Tonya
11-24-2003, 07:41 AM
I was planning on putting it on Teddy, my pomeranian since he's so little and always sneaks off. Didn't think of the noise either. Might make him run further!

stacwase
11-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Hmmmmm - this may take some more creative thinking. What if we gave the pets treats each time we use it? Then they'll associate it with something positive.

ramanth
11-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Hmmmmm - this may take some more creative thinking. What if we gave the pets treats each time we use it? Then they'll associate it with something positive.
If it's not too loud that it scares her, then positive reinforement might work.

Make sure you see her and have her in the same room with you. Make the collar beep. Give her a treat. Repeat as needed... hopefully, when she hears her collar beep, she'll assume she's getting a treat.

Though if you're putting her in her crate immediately following, she might take the treat and run, or not come figuring a time out in the crate is not worth the treat. Guess it depends on the kitty.

Though I like the idea of making the collar beep if she gets on the couch. :)

Best of luck!

Ramona
11-24-2003, 04:23 PM
How about putting her litter box up there on the couch where she pees for a while and see what happens. I assume you tried different litter already right? I'm new here so I am unfamiliar with her. Also, another thought, is she allowed on the couch if she doesn't pee? If not, it could be a jealousy thing if another animal is allowed on and she isn't. Just some thoughts.