PDA

View Full Version : worms...

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 05:50 PM
has your dog had worms befor??

Tikeya has them and I am guessing that baby and oscar do to... We are taking them to the vet to get dewormed tomorrow. They were dewormed a while ago but they cought it anyways... :confused:... they probably sniffed some other dogs poop that was infected with worms :(:(...

CamCamPup33
11-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Nope! Cami is perfectly healthy!

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 06:14 PM
lucky you

Moose
11-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Nope.....my Moosey is a perfectly healthy little boy, and he always has been! :p

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
lucky you

Hm....the way I'm reading that, there is hint of sarcasm in it. Am I wrong here? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kfamr
11-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Nope, My dogs are free from worms and healthy as well.

I normally don't let them sniff other dog's poop, so they wouldn't be able to get it that way.

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 06:23 PM
my dogs are usually healthy, but I dont know how they got worms !!! :( ....

aly
11-23-2003, 06:27 PM
What kind of worms? Most kinds are very minor and are quickly removed with medication.

It is very easy for them to get it if you take them to high dog traffic areas such as parks. All they would have to do is run through some poop then lick their paw ... so it might not have been so obvious as if they sniffed poop.

Don't worry about it. You can get rid of the worms quickly.

binka_nugget
11-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Nope but I've been meaning to get their stool checked since we never got Kaedyn checked for worms.

CamCamPup33
11-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Moose
Hm....the way I'm reading that, there is hint of sarcasm in it. Am I wrong here? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly what i was thinking brooke! All i said was cami was perfectly healthy, shes worm free, always has been! I normally dont tell cami to sniff others dogs poop either..

:rolleyes:

Shelteez2
11-23-2003, 08:28 PM

Exactly what i was thinking brooke! All i said was cami was perfectly healthy, shes worm free, always has been! I normally dont tell cami to sniff others dogs poop either..

Someone types lucky you and you automatically assume there was sarcasm in it?

What was it the way it was typed??

Why not think, hmmm it must suck for her dogs to have worms, not knowing where they might have gotten them, and she wishes her dogs were like ours who have never had them.

Me thinks some chips need to be knocked from shoulders.....hopefully they're Lays ;)

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33

I wasnt being sarcastic... I said you were lucky!!

Moose
11-23-2003, 08:42 PM

For once, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and stop this from going any further.

...but before I do that, I just love it how you have to get your nose into everything, Shelteez. My post wasn't directed toward you or anyone in particular. However, I've noticed that when people say "lucky you" it's normally in a sarcastic tone. It seems to me that when someone's pet is healthy, that's something to be pretty happy about.....whether you like that person or not; It's not their fault someone else's dogs have something wrong with them health-wise. So jeez, relax and take a deep breath; you're fine. :p ;)

There.....now I'm done. You know I couldn't just let it go without saying one more thing. ;) :D :p

Twisterdog
11-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Internal parasites are very easy to contract. It in no way implies that the dog is not cared for properly or is not healthy. A dog with parasites that is not treated will certainly become unhealthy, don't get me wrong. But simply contracting internal parasites is not a disease, and does not mean bad health.

Internal parasites come from many sources - other animals feces, dead animals, even stagnant water. Puppies can be born with worms, if the mother dog has them. If a dog goes wading in a pond, it can catch internal parasites. Because a dog has contracted them, this in no way implies bad or negligent owners.

An important thing with internal parasites is to make sure to clean up the yard really, really good. Clean up all feces immediately, check for any dead birds or mice that your dogs might have hidden or buried, spray it with disinfectant, if you can. If you treat the dogs, and there are still problem areas where they can re-contract worms, you've just wasted your money. Make sure you get a de-wormer from your vet, not over the counter. Take a sample of the worms in for your vet to see. It's really hard to describe worms. :eek: The best de-wormers are made for one or two specific species of parasites. General, broad-based wormers are not as effective, that's why it's important your vet see the worms.

lucky you

I didn't perceive that to be sarcastic at all. Why would you possibly think it was? My goodness. Actually, this is the reply that I found to be quite sarcastic.

I normally dont tell cami to sniff others dogs poop either..

CamCamPup33
11-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
What was it the way it was typed??

Yes! I already talked to jynnelle (SP) about this.. I also thought she was being sarcastic..

And no, twisterdog, that wasnt supposed to be sarcastic.. But thanks for your 2 cents..

Shelteez2
11-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Moose
...but before I do that, I just love it how you have to get your nose into everything, Shelteez. My post wasn't directed toward you or anyone in particular. However, I've noticed that when people say "lucky you" it's normally in a sarcastic tone. It seems to me that when someone's pet is healthy, that's something to be pretty happy about.....whether you like that person or not; It's not their fault someone else's dogs have something wrong with them health-wise. So jeez, relax and take a deep breath; you're fine. :p ;)

I am so sorry. I am still fairly new here and was unaware you are not supposed to respond to anything unless it's specifically directed to you. I'll go and look for where it says that on the site.

Kfamr
11-23-2003, 08:49 PM
I found the "lucky you" as being sarcastic but I didn't feel like saying anything.

I don't however, see how what Amber said (that Twisterdog quoted) as being sarcastic. But, obviously she was trying to be. :p

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

An important thing with internal parasites is to make sure to clean up the yard really, really good. Clean up all feces immediately, check for any dead birds or mice that your dogs might have hidden or buried, spray it with disinfectant, if you can. If you treat the dogs, and there are still problem areas where they can re-contract worms, you've just wasted your money. Make sure you get a de-wormer from your vet, not over the counter. Take a sample of the worms in for your vet to see. It's really hard to describe worms. :eek: The best de-wormers are made for one or two specific species of parasites. General, broad-based wormers are not as effective, that's why it's important your vet see the worms.

we poop scoop everyday so no need to worrie about that ;)... WE havent yet seen the worms, we have just seen baby licking her bum, and Tikeya having alot of troubles with her butt, like she cant get up[ without yelping and biting at it :(:(... And oscar just looks bloated. Babys anal ducts dont need to be squeezed, because the have been. babyt is also looking VERY skiiny, and she eats a normal amount of dog food for her age, and he dont under or over feed her. She is sooo skinny, maybe a tape worm :eek:... I dont know, we are taking all three dogs into the vet tomorrow.

Kater
11-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Internal parasites are very easy to contract. It in no way implies that the dog is not cared for properly or is not healthy. A dog with parasites that is not treated will certainly become unhealthy, don't get me wrong. But simply contracting internal parasites is not a disease, and does not mean bad health.

Exactly! This is just what I was thinking.
And worms are very easily treated. So a trip to the vet should quickly take care of this problem.
The important step is observing the symptoms and you've done that, TM!

Good luck at the vets!

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I am so sorry. I am still fairly new here and was unaware you are not supposed to respond to anything unless it's specifically directed to you. I'll go and look for where it says that on the site.

I agree with that shelteez2

CamCamPup33
11-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I found the "lucky you" as being sarcastic but I didn't feel like saying anything.

I don't however, see how what Amber said (that Twisterdog quoted) as being sarcastic. But, obviously she was trying to be. :p

But i wasnt! lol! You said "I normally don't let them sniff other dog's poop, so they wouldn't be able to get it that way."

So i was saying "Me either!"

lol! :p

Tonya
11-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Teddy had them when he was a pup. Ron my cat had them bad when he first came from the pound. They are so disgusting!

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 08:55 PM
I agree with that Tonya

Tonya
11-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Jeepers, everyone. I am reading through this muck...It's not easy telling the tone through typing. We can't hear eachother or see eachother's expressions, so let's just assume the best.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-23-2003, 09:03 PM
No, mine have never had worms. They got dewormed when they were puppies and they get dewormed every year, just to be safe.

KYS
UGH! For the first time in 9 years Sheba picked up
TAPE worm a few months back. The vet
said she must have ate an infected flea. :(

Shelteez2
Originally posted by Tonya
Jeepers, everyone. I am reading through this muck...It's not easy telling the tone through typing. We can't hear eachother or see eachother's expressions, so let's just assume the best.
That's what I was originally trying to point out. Thanks. :)

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by KYS
UGH! For the first time in 9 years Sheba picked up
TAPE worm a few months back. The vet
said she must have ate an infected flea. :(

o wow!!! she got a tapeworm from a flea!!!!!!! eeeps!!!! poor Sheba

CamCamPup33
11-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Hope tikeya and oscar or baby *Which one was it*, get over it quick! Good luck at the vets tommorow!

aly
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
o wow!!! she got a tapeworm from a flea!!!!!!! eeeps!!!! poor Sheba

Fleas are the only way they can get tapeworm :)

Twisterdog
WE havent yet seen the worms

If you haven't seen the worms, and therefore can't take a sample of the actual parasites to the vet, try to get a fresh stool sample to take. This will be helpful to your vet.

tikeyas_mom
11-23-2003, 09:15 PM
If you haven't seen the worms, and therefore can't take a sample of the actual parasites to the vet, try to get a fresh stool sample to take. This will be helpful to your vet.

ok :)

lol I didnt know dogs got tape worms from fleas!!! lol

KYS
11-23-2003, 09:23 PM
tikeyas_mom:wow!!! she got a tapeworm from a flea!!!!!!! eeeps!!!! poor Sheba>>>>>

I always go on poop patrol to make sure
poop looks normal while picking up.
(notice something like rice on the stool)
Vet put her on some Meds. and she was fine. :)

micki76
11-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Ugh. When we first got Chester he was loaded with 'em. It was really gross and very obvious, if you get my meaning.:eek:

He was covered in fleas so I knew he must have had worms and as I said that to Michael, uh... it became evident. :eek:

We actually had to do the medication twice to totally clear them up.

No question, worms are gross. Must feel horrible, too! :eek:

wolfsoul
11-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Nope, no worms here. :) But Timber's vet will mail us a notice every month reminding us that she needs to take a med.