PDA

View Full Version : Escondido, California, Animal Shelter Burns...

Phred
01-22-2001, 07:19 PM
Firefighters were able to save some, but many Critters died in this tragic fire. Click on this link for preliminary details and to offer help: Caution: A Very Sad story...
http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/1/22_shelter.html

If anyone can find other links, please post as the Firehouse.com link will expire in a few weeks.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-22-2001, 08:17 PM
Escondido is a little North of where we live
San Diego. This fire was horrible, most of the animals didn't have a chance. One fireman threw a smoking puppie into someones arms and another fireman hosed them with water. They are investigating to see whether it is arson on not. I don't know if this is allowed or not. But if anyone would like to donate, it could be sent to
Escondido Humane Society
% Palomar Community Bank
P.O. Box 3499
Escondido, CA 92033
It is inconceivable that anyone would start a fire where there are innocent animals, let's hope it was not deliberatly set.

teena
01-23-2001, 08:26 AM
What a tragedy! My heart just breaks reading that story and thinking of all those poor babies. I know it's just after Christmas and all of us are broke, but if we as a group can make a small donation, even if it's a blanket or collar, I'm sure they would appreciate anything. We're pretty broke right now but I just wrote out a check for $5.00 and will send to them today.

lhg0962
01-23-2001, 08:31 AM
On a happier note, amid all of this tragedy, I read a little blurb in our local paper this morning about a fireman who rescued a lab puppy from the fire and decided to keep him. He named him "Flame".

tatsxxx11
01-23-2001, 03:03 PM
Logan, you beat me to it! Was just about to post about the same. The only bright spot in this tragedy. The fireman was on the "Today Show." It wasn't until the morning AFTER!!! that they found the puppy while searching for any lingering "hot spots." He heard a puppy whimpering, and found the precious black lab puppy cowering in a corner of a cage. It was the fireman's first structure fire an a rookie, and he was so proud he could save a life to start his career. The puppy was just adorable, and amazingly got a clean bill of health from the vet! He said his family's search for a puppy for their son had ended with the precious Flame!

lhg0962
01-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Sandra,
My stupid paper didn't tell me all of that! What a great ending to a terrible story. I don't get to do the "Today" show thing very often, so I missed it.
Just to get a plug, in case the rest of you missed it, a very good, lifetime friend of mine has been seen on many news shows recently. His name is Clarke Bynum and he is the one who was on the flight to Africa that the mentally unstable guy took over. My friend tackled the hijacker and ended up saving the lives of about 400 people.
We are all so proud, and so grateful for the wonderful story that Clarke has been able to share with the world. He has been on just about every news cast in the country and thinking of the Today show made me think of him.

tatsxxx11
01-24-2001, 03:10 PM
Oh my gosh Logan!! I saw him on TV! WHAT an incredible story that was. He certainly was a hero! Not surprised to hear that someone with such courage and character is a good friend of yours! Way to go Clarke!