PDA

View Full Version : Why?

aly
08-11-2001, 12:44 PM
Why are some people so cruel to animals? What do you possibly get out of being so heartless????????? I can't stand the cases I see EVERY day at the shelter. I can't stand to see dogs flinching away from hands like they were hit their whole lives. I can't stand to see the open wounds where dogs were set on fire. I can't stand to see bullet holes in a dog's side. WHY do people do this to DEFENSELESS creatures? Why do people have to turn loving, trusting animals into scared, untrusting souls that end up being killed by the city shelter?

Nell stole my heart. She's a 6 month old beauty of a german shepherd. She sticks her head in my lap and loves for me to scratch her. She didn't know quite how to play with toys but I showed her and now she spends hours jumping on top of toys to hear the "SQUEAK!". She's quite calm for being a puppy and very well mannered. I spent 4 hours with her on Thursday and 2 on Friday. Then I learned her story.

Nell's "owners" decided to move. Nell's "owners" thought it might be too much of a hassle to move Nell across town and besides she's always so annoying wanting things such as food, water and shelter. That's a bit too much for them to handle. Nell's "owners" move. Nell is conveniently left in an empty house. A neighbor gets sick of hearing Nell bark and howl for food. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing else in this empty house besides her skinny body. The neighbor puts her in the back of his truck, drives 14 miles, and dumps her. The next day, loyal Nell is sitting on the front steps of the house who's people abandoned her. Nell is wondering where they are. She walked 14 miles and found her way home to people who treated her like dirt. Well, they were supposed to be there. They weren't. A different neighbor finally takes pity and takes her to the humane society.

This is the most awful disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. To know little Nell is to love her. I WISH I had the resources to take her in. I WISH I could just punch the people who did this to her. All that she has been through hasn't changed her sweet personality. She is a doll. If anyone is near Austin, TX, please come by and say hi. Our german shepherds don't get adopted too fast and I want Nell into a LOVING home ASAP. She deserves it.

Here she is:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/tE/vG/sv/SZ89103.jpg

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Sudilar
08-11-2001, 02:22 PM
Oh, Nell, I wish I could adopt you!! :( :(

Rottieluver45
08-11-2001, 03:27 PM
Hey aly You can foster her,no i`m just kidding but I wish someone could!She looks so sweet and nice!!! No one should abuse their dog at all!!!! That story is awful!!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-11-2001, 05:30 PM
Nell is a beauty, It's so sad that people treat their animals like trash, I can hardly stand it. She looks so kind and sweet, I hope she finds a wonderful forever home.
If anybody can find one for her Aly, it will be you. Give her a hug from me please.
Jackie

mugsy
08-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Ok, send her to me!! I wish she could be adopted outside the area. My philosophy is with 10 dogs now, what's one more...just one more to love.

Daisy's Mom
08-11-2001, 11:38 PM
Aly I don't understand people like that either. I cry if I accidentally bump Daisy or step on her tail! When she yelps in pain, I just melt and bawl! How can the site of a frightened animal in pain give someone any pleasure at all? They must be very, very sick people.

Nell is beautiful. What a sweet, loyal girl! She doesn't deserve what she had to go through. I hope she is adopted soon into a home where she is loved and cared for. Please tell us as soon as she is adopted. For now, I'll pray for her.

Angels3
08-12-2001, 01:02 AM
Mugsy & others, you have hearts of gold as usual for dogs in trouble. If only Nell were not so far away....we have a wonderful Dog Orphanage nearby (No Kill) run by 2 wonderful ladies who'd take Nell in without worry. I know I'm dreaming, but if only somebody would put her on a passing QANTAS jet so the ladies at F.I.D.O (that's what the Orphanage is called) could find her the home she deserves. But I bet there are people just like them in the States waiting to help her, too. That lovely dog deserves it.

aly
08-12-2001, 03:03 AM
Sorry.. I wasn't clear becuase I was very emotional when I posted this. The first part of the post was just me ranting I guess. The second part was about Nell, but she is at our no kill shelter, not the city one. She will be placed into a good home. I just hope its sooner rather than later.

Angels3
08-12-2001, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by aly:
<STRONG> she is at our no kill shelter, not the city one. She will be placed into a good home. I just hope its sooner rather than later.</STRONG>

Aly, I'm so glad. I KNEW there'd be some wonderful no-kill shelter near Nell in the States that would take her in & find her a good home. And may she get the very best of forever homes.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Angels3 ]

Ila
08-12-2001, 07:29 AM
That is such a sad story. My heart goes out to Nell. No animal deseves to be treated that way. It hurts me to hear that animals are treated that way. I just hope those people never get another animal. Best of luck finding beautiful Nell a new home. She deserves it!!! ;)

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Ila ]

delidog
08-12-2001, 08:31 AM
aly, believe me i understand your emotional anger and frustration!!!no animal should ever go through this...at least nell is at a no-kill facility!!!! she is sssoooo sweet....she should be able to find a home soon....please let us know when she finds one....the deli dog :)

mugsy
08-12-2001, 09:24 AM
Ali, trust me, you didn't rant anywhere near what I do on a regular basis here and drive everyone nuts!! Any animal deserves equal treatment to humans as far as I'm concerned, so I feel that the "owner" needs to be treated the same way that Nell was treated. But, I don't have any strong opinions on the matter or anything! ;) Are you SURE they won't let me have her?? I'll grovel if necessary! hehehe I certainly wish the best for her and if we can't have her I hope she finds a great forever home soon!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-13-2001, 07:58 AM
Nell is beautiful! I just want to give her a hug and love her forever!
Yes, when I hear of situations this this, it is clear why I choose to spend more time socializing with my dogs than with people! :rolleyes:

Gio
08-13-2001, 08:17 AM
Aly,

I only read the thread today but you were not ranting in your first post just expressing your frustration. I lost count of how many times I asked myself the same question and a few more along with it most of them starting with "How can they".

Over here about a week ago some scum abandoned a GSD and her 16 (yest 16 and all survived) 2 day old pups in the torrid heat. Luckily someone found them and took them immediately to the nearest shelter. How could someone do somthing so cruel is beyond me.

I cringe thinking about all the other who are less fortunate and more horifically abused.

I hope sweet Nell will find a loving home soon she certainly deserves it.

08-13-2001, 08:55 AM
Aly, I agree with everything you said. You said those things a lot calmer and nicer than I feel I could have. This story has hurt so much to read. Sorry, to say it isn't the first and won't be the last I'm sure. If I were there, in Texas, Nell would be mine. Guaranteed. Sadly, I will probably run into this sort of thing at the shelter where I will be volunteering. I don't know how I'm going to manage NOT taking every dog home with me.

Please please give Nell a HUGE hug and kiss for me and my girls. She will be in our thoughts and prayers. I am so so glad that Nell has crossed your path because now I know she will never suffer again Aly. Goodness, I'm in tears now. You have a heart of gold so I know Nell will be happy and a safe. Nell is so lucky to have you - even if she doesn't get to go home with you :)

Sudilar
08-13-2001, 11:54 AM
Here is a place to get help and info on dogs for people who are thinking of getting rid of them. However, I DO NOT agree with her advice about having the dog pts instead of taking them to a shelter!
www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp)

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

ramanth
08-13-2001, 01:05 PM
Oh aly! Nell's story made me so MAD!! :mad:

How dare people do that. I hope she finds a good home. She's an absolute beauty.

Nell is in my prayers.

Kim S.

zippy-kat
08-14-2001, 01:14 AM
Nell is absolutely gorgeous!

I can only echo the statements already posted. Nell's "owners" did not deserve the undying loyality Nell unquestioningly gave to them. People like that make me sooooo mad! :mad:

Aly, thank you so very much for doing what you can for her. You are a blessing to Nell. I pray she finds a forever home soon!

Sadly, as mentioned before, this will not be the first nor the last case of animal cruelty. I use to volunteer at a humane society. A collie was brought in--she had a red collar, NO TAGS. We called her Molly. She had recently had pups and was VERY, VERY thin--also she had a 'nice' bullet wound in her side. I will NEVER forget this dog as long as I live! She was the sweetest thing! She would place herself in between me and the other dogs to keep them from jumping against me. My heart breaks everytime I remember her. She was so beautiful--inside as well as out. I'm just astounded that she (as well as many other dogs) trusted and loved people after all the mean things that were done to her. Things like this should never happen to such a beautiful soul! (And yes, I'm bawling!lol)

I only saw Molly one time. The Humane Society contacted a Collie Rescue and they picked her up before my next visit. I'm not too sure what ever became of Molly after that, but I *Pray* that she found the loving, forever home she SO SO SO deserved.

aly
08-25-2001, 01:20 AM
NELL IS ADOPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know the details yet but will relate them as soon as I know!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY! :D :D I am sure she is in a great home! :)

mugsy - thanks for offering to take her. I'd have loved for you to take her but the shelter gets weird about out of state stuff. I can understand why but they should trust me enough to know I'm not sending the dog to icky owners.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

RachelJ
08-25-2001, 05:16 AM
I am so happy for Nell. I hope she got people that will regard her as the precious princess she is. From her picture and your account of her experience it is obvious that she is truly a treasure. God bless you Nell. And thank you Aly for care that you gave to Nell and all the others with whom you come in contact.

delidog
08-25-2001, 05:44 AM
yeah for nell!!!!!! i am sssssssssooooooo glad she has a forever home!!!! send us the details!!!! i hope that they appreciate nell for the great dog that she is!!!!!!!the deli dog :D :D :D :D

jackiesdaisy1935
08-25-2001, 09:23 AM
Good for Nell, I'm so happy for her. We have another case of Animal Abuse here in San Diego. A lady moved out to the country, Northern San Diego with her three big dogs so they could have room to run and play. When she came home one of her dogs was missing, her neighbor found the dog on the side of the country road the poor thing had been shot in the eye and the bullet went down inside her through her spleen and shattered her leg. She was still alive and they rushed her to the Vet but he couldn't save her. When will this terrible cruelty stop. What kind of people are these barbarians?
Jackie

Sudilar
08-25-2001, 10:25 AM
Cheers for Nell!!! :)
Tears for the San Diego dog. :(

yorkster
08-25-2001, 01:38 PM
I am so glad to hear that Nell was adopted, but also sad to hear about the dog in San Diego. Nell has such a sweet face and she reminds me of my dog from 10 years ago. He was also a G. Shepherd and very loyal and devoted. Here is how I feel a lot of the time: When I hear these stories I start to think that animals are better than people. Humans can be so cruel and heartless. I have had people look at me strange in the past when I have expressed this, but it's just the way I feel. Animals treat each other better than we humans do. It's good to know that there are people out there that care too, which is why I am glad I found Pet Talk here at Pet of the Day. Please keep us posted with the details of Nell's adoption- I love stories with happy endings!

tatsxxx11
08-25-2001, 03:41 PM
OMG Aly. I just read the entire thread and couldn't believe that, paws crossed, there actually might be a happy ending to this horror story. I'm still crying over the description of her abandonment. The incredible devotion and loyalty of these amazing creatures, even in the light of such abuse and neglect, just blows my mind. Nell, you are one magnificent, beautiful girl. Hang there. Your forever home is coming sweet girl.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-25-2001, 05:53 PM
Thanks so much, Aly, for all that you did for Nell in the shelter, and for all that you do for all of the dogs and cats that come to the shelter and need loving homes. God bless you for all the work you do and the love you give!
:D ...so very happy to hear of Nell's adoption!!!!

lizbud
08-25-2001, 07:59 PM
Thank You Aly for telling averyone the GOOD NEWS about Nell...Was wondering what ever happened with her, but I knew she was in
good hands with you as her champion!!
I don't know how some people are able to
see such examples of mankind's treatment to
these ,the most innocent of souls on earth,
and not just cry all the time...
Thank God for people like you Aly...
A hundred years from now when you pass over
Rainbow Bridge ,you are going to mobbed by
by all the sweet furkids that knew your
love & kindness while they were here..

Daisy's Mom
08-26-2001, 07:26 PM
I am soo happy that Nell got the loving home she deserves.

As for that dog in San Diego, it just sickens me to hear about things like this. How can you possible live with yourself after hurting another creature? I know I just couldn't... I don't have it in me!