PDA

View Full Version : dog rescue...can anyone help boomer and precious???

delidog
08-09-2001, 06:48 AM
in our local paper yesterday was a story that broke my heart...boomer and his brother precious were brought to the pt.st.lucie pound on 8/1/01...they are scheduled to be put to sleep within the next 2 to 3 days...they are 17 yrs. old,german shepard dogs...they have never been seperated....in june their owners home caught fire...the family was saved by boomer nipping at the hand of the mother...who was 5 months pregnant at the time...they were all sound asleep and boomer woke everyone...the family is now living where they cannot have dogs...and cannot afford to go elsewhere...they tried,but in losing their home they are financially destitute...i called the director of the pound yesterday and left a message...i wanted to transport them to dogs and cats forever a no kill facility in pt.st.lucie,fl...he never returned my call....i offered donations,volunteer work,whatever it would take...i called the pound all day...all i got was answering machines...i cannot take them myself...i am at pet limit..does anyone have any suggestions????please we need your help!?!?!?!?! :eek: :confused: :mad: the deli dog

delidog
08-09-2001, 07:22 AM
i would try to...but it is not just boomer...his brother precious also needs a home...they have always lived together...i wish that the pound would at least answer their phone to give info....deli dog :(

Gio
08-09-2001, 08:28 AM
THis is horrible these dogs don't deserve this. There isn't much I can do from over here but have you tried to contact some animal rescue organisations which could help you to put pressure on the pound to perhaps gain more time until these dogs find a home (HUA springs to my mind or something similar seeing that the distance is considerable or soem GSD rescue groups). Perhaps some local radio station might also want to help. I don't know about your country but over here but as soon as the media gets involved things start to move. If you only get answering machine could you not go to the pound yourself, soprry but I'm running out of ideas. I think it's great what you offered to do and I honestly wish there would be something more I could do.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

RachelJ
08-09-2001, 09:19 AM
If this story was in your local paper and CNN.com, maybe the reason they are not answering the phone is because they are getting so many calls. Maybe they've already found a place for the dogs because of the publicity. You think they could put some kind of announcement on the answering machine though.

Sudilar
08-09-2001, 09:43 AM
Is there anything we can do????

delidog
08-09-2001, 11:42 AM
i have been trying to call all morning...now the line is just busy...i think i will go up there after lunch...i am going to call dogs and cats forever also...maybe if i pay for them d&c will take them...i am so frustrated by this...i called the newspaper that ran the article...they had gotten several calls...mainly offering the girl a job...i'll see what i can do..it is my only day off until sunday...i just wish i could take them....delidog :( :confused:

Daisy's Mom
08-09-2001, 11:50 AM
This is awful! Thank you for trying so hard, delidog! Keep us updated. These heros do NOT deserve to be split up or killed.

delidog
08-09-2001, 12:21 PM
spenserthelion...thank you for posting the story...and thanks to all for suggestions....i called the paper...there phones are ringing off the hook because of this story....and the fact that nobody can get through to the pound...i am hoping that this will bide them some time....does anyone know a gsd rescue group in florida?????i emailed dogs and cats forever...i hope they answer soon...i want to go there personally...but i am afraid that if i see them i know i will not be able to walk away...the delidog :(

delidog
08-09-2001, 01:17 PM
o.k. sports fans....some positive news...i never thought that i would be so grateful for a computer....i talked to tom at dogs and ctas forever..he is on his way to the pound now...they talked to mike morris...director of affore mentioned pound yesterday....d&c forever offered to take the dogs if they do not get adopted...now they do not want to interfere with any adoption process..the idea is to find them a good home..but they have have offers from all over the country...thanks to the net...he said a man from texas had just called and offered to take them...was that you spenser the lion??anyway...i offered to pay for their adoption fee if someone needs that done...and as i am on vacation the 3rd week in aug. i offered to take them to texas if that is what it comes down to...right now d& c forever is just waiting to see if someone local can take them...but if i were mr. morris dir. of affore mentioned shelter...i would not let these dogs be euthanized...unless he wants to stand on the unemployment line that is...the media is all over this....thanks for all of your help and support....i will keep you updated....the deli dog.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CoraNewf
08-09-2001, 02:14 PM
Three cheers for delidog!!!!!!!!!!!! Good work!!!!!! :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

mugsy
08-09-2001, 02:49 PM
way to go deli dog!!! you're my kind of dog person!! Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

POOH267
08-09-2001, 03:08 PM
EXCELLENT WORK DELI DOG......
OUR HATS ARE OFF TO YA.....
ONE HUNDRED TIMES.....GOOD LUCK TO PRECIOUS & BOOMER!!!!!! :D :) :D ;)

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2001, 03:24 PM
...Since were are talking about a "bone-a-Fido firedawg hero", someone in their brotherhood should be calling soon from Ohio.
:D

We wuz reelee tryin, but Dad wuz hoggin the pawboard :rolleyes: werkin on his update to the "Casey Case" in Polk County, Florida. He kept sayin that DeliDog had the Boomer & Precious case well in hand ;).

Sounds like the Boomer & Precious kidz are out of harms way (off death row) for a while, but their situation needs a constant vigil till we KNOW they have a good forever home.

Hey DeliDog: Please keep on top of this case and let us know iffin any problems develop. Us two FireDawgs will start poundin out e-mails if you tell us those two Hero Dogs need any special help!

PS: katch Dad's update on "Casey" at:
PetTalk story about "Casey" (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000050&p=2)

Sudilar
08-09-2001, 03:55 PM
delidog, you are a hero!!

delidog
08-09-2001, 04:33 PM
thanks to all you guys on pet talk....as spencer the lion said ...team effort...did you notice that this is now the top news story when you sign on???? you guys are the best!!!!and the organization dogs and cats forever...you should look them up on dogsandcatsforever.com...i will keep you all updated....but i am sure that they are safe today...and still nobody can reach the pound...i wonder if they took the phone off the hook???i am just so elated that we all could help....if i go to the pound...i want them all....by the way this facility,that wants to put boomer and precious to sleep run by mr.mike morris...the afore mentioned director...(cinder and smoke...remember his name!!!) is where i got my dal./hound mix...delilah...hence the name delidog!!!! she was in that very same facility for 3 months...i wonder how she lasted so long...she was 4 at the time...and being a 70 lb. individual...was not looked at often!!!!i know that pound people have a job to do ...but sometimes rules are meant to be broken....also,i learned that d&c forever is working with the city to make pt.st.lucie,fl. a no kill city...like san francisco and canada..wouldn't this be great...maybe other cities and even states can get the idea!!!!!!oh i almost forgot....spencer the lion...do you think that our pres. or his bro. has room on their ranches for boomer and precious??????? ;) :D sorry,i know that this is getting winded....i just feel sssssoooo good for those dogs!!!!!i hope they find great homes to live out their days comfortably!!!!!!the deli dog!!!

Daisy's Mom
08-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, delidog! You are so kind and caring. You have truly made a difference :)

Gio
08-10-2001, 04:44 AM
Delidog,
you did a really wonderful job and please keep us posted. I'm so pleased that there is hope for Bloomer and Precious.

delidog
08-10-2001, 04:55 AM
spencer the lion, again my deepest thanks...that is what i was trying to say about d&c.forever....you are a much better speaker...but you bring a valid point to the table...i have adopted at this facility...i did have to sign a paper saying how i would care for my deli...it stated that they reserve the right to inspect where i keep my animals...but i will say...nobody ever checked on her....i do not recall if they even asked for i.d. when i was there...i will check again today to see if they have been adopted....i do think however that if mr.mike morris allows these dogs to be euthanized ,it will be the end of his career...spencer the lion..maybe you are more savvy than i at getting info on this facility...as to the bush politics...jeb has barely been in office a year and they ran a story yesterday on how reno would win if she ran for governor today...they barely allow you to get the seat warm....also,i remember the whole checkers thing,etc...one never knows.....have you read " how to be as good as your dog thinks you are???" it was done by a former cbs reporter...good reading....thanks again the deli dog :) :) :)

delidog
08-10-2001, 05:54 AM
o.k. guys...just got the a.m. paper...boomer and precious are off death row!!!!but they still need to be adopted...the opportunities they face are: they must go together,they cannot be in a small home with other animals,no samll children,and they must go to an air conditioned facility!!the article goes on to name people who have called to adopt...from wasington state,minn.n.y. texas,even canada...mr.mike morris(cinder and smoke...i know you have this name ready to type on your pawboard)said that they need homes soon as possible,being there without a.c. is hurting them...i left messages on machines for g.s.d. rescue organization in jacksonville yesterday....am waiting to hear back...glad to see them on the front page again!!!!!!there is still hope!!!! :) :)

sammi
08-10-2001, 10:36 AM
I haven't been on here for awhile due to being gone and health reasons but I hope this wkend to get caught up! Just wanted to say you guys are ALL a great bunch with hearts of gold. Things always look brighter after reading the posts even when the story has a sad ending because then you see how much everyone cares for & loves the pets. :) :D ;)

RachelJ
08-10-2001, 12:03 PM
Thanks to all of you who are taking the time to get involved. I wonder how many calls to the animal shelter from potential adopters were not received because no one is handling the phone. Certainly this director should at least have the managerial savy to enlists some volunteers for this kind of duty.

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by delidog:
<STRONG>...mr.mike morris(cinder and smoke...i know you have this name ready to type on your pawboard)...</STRONG>

This could get 'barrussing :rolleyes: ~
That Mr. Mike Morris, the director of the local shelter, is NOT a relative of ours so I don't think the Gang at Phred's Ranch for Wayward Kritterz will have much "pull" with him :(.

The best lever to force a positive (for Boomer & Precious) outcome is to maintain the public interest angle of the story. Have any of the news media had a "photo op" to take pictures of the Guys? Having their pictures in the news is a great way to keep the story (and the Dogs) alive. Ole Mr. Mike will have to think at least twice before he euthanizes two Front Page Hero Dogs!! The Deli Dog can do a lot of good by keeping after the local media, both print and TV, to cover the story on a daily basis. Keep hitting on the Hero Dog :D angle!

Hopefully, somebody in Florida (with a working air conditioner) will adopt them. It won't be a fun trip for two older dogs to be sent half way across the country to find a new home ~ a local adoption will be a lot quicker and less stressful on the poor dogs.

Too bad they can't find a *friendly* front porch to wander up to like SmokeMan did ;)!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-10-2001, 04:11 PM
Oh my goodness, I just read this post, how could anyone think of doing such a thing to two wonderful, caring, heroic dogs. I am so grateful to Delidog and Spencer for keeping on top of this story, you are both wonderful to spend your time trying to save and find a home for Boomer and Precious. Is there anything we can do? Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Jackie

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2001, 05:03 PM
Words of wisdom and despair :( ~

In the midst of the all Boomer-related hoopla, the shelter’s chief financial officer, Ginni Jordan, poses a good question.

"What about the other 300 animals here who aren’t heroes?" she asks. "If only someone wanted to adopt them all."

Quoted from "Canine hero, brother taken off ‘death row’"; August 10,2001, By Paula Holzman, staff writer at The Tribune. The link to the full article was posted by Spencer just above.

If everyone who "wants" Boomer & Precious would just take the time to drive to their local shelter or rescue - I'll bet they could find a pet to their liking with a lot less fuss! :rolleyes:

delidog
08-10-2001, 09:24 PM
as i said earlier....boomer and precious are safe tonight....but they still need a home!!!!!!!i have offered to drive them....we need solid offers...!!!!!!!!!anybody out there that can take them together?!?!!?!?!?please we need your help now!!!! :) :( :confused: :) :(

delidog
08-10-2001, 09:34 PM
sorry.............deli dog being too emotional....did not see that someone said that they had taken,...and when i called pound today....nothing was said that they were adopted.... :o the deli dog....

delidog
08-10-2001, 09:51 PM
spencer the lion....you are too good...where did you get this info....i am 10 miles from here...i did not hear this....i stand corrected...i will follow up tomorrow...the deli dog ;)

delidog
08-10-2001, 10:28 PM
yyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!just got confirmation!!!!!!!boomer and precious have been adopted together!!!!!!!!to a lovely lady right here in pt.st.lucie!!!!!! there is a god....(just remember god spelled backwards is d-o-g!!!!!!!)thank you all for your help....i will send updates when necessary!!!!!it sounds like they have a good home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!special thanks to spencer the lion!!!!!!!!!and cinder & smoke!!the deli dog :D :D :D :D :D

RachelJ
08-10-2001, 10:41 PM
If I am ever in trouble, I want you all on my side...delidog, Phred and the company, and Spencer. You guys are like the A team.

delidog
08-10-2001, 10:53 PM
just remember flattery gets a person everywhere!!!!!!!! the deli dog!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Daisy's Mom
08-10-2001, 11:34 PM
Hurray! I just knew God couldn't let these sweet little dogs down! Delidog, Spencer, and Fred, thank you all for your updates and efforts in saving the lives of these two very special dogs. You guys are wonderful!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-11-2001, 09:15 AM
Just a big thanks to all of you who helped to make sure Boomer and Precious were in the spotlight and now they have a wonderful home. It starts the day out on a happy note. :) :)

Corinna
08-11-2001, 04:02 PM
I heard the news last night on the Art bell show sure glad some one there has a big heart. Hope they become a pet chatter so we can all follow them.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-13-2001, 08:01 AM
Yea! for Boomer and Precious! If only every shelter story could have a happy ending like this... :(

Gio
08-13-2001, 08:02 AM
As the article says I really hope that the people who were interested in adopting Boomer and his brother will decide to save on of the others unfortunate pets.

Sudilar
08-13-2001, 10:07 AM
Wow, you guys are good!!!