PDA

View Full Version : The saga continues...

Sirrahsim
11-22-2003, 06:02 PM
I am at wit's end with dear little Boomer. Let me set the scene: it's 5:30 AM and my husband is crawling out of bed so that he can watch a stateside football game live. Boomer, who had been sleeping between us, wakes up and asails his daddy with meows and headbumps. "Pet me daddy!!Pet me!!" So Paul is doing his duty as a pet owner and gives Boomer all the scritches and pats he can handle. I'm awake during all this, but I don't want to startle the kitty and spoil the moment. SO I'm laying there pretending to be asleep and Boomer is just going to town having the time of his life. Then I move... Boomer realizes I am awake and turns on Paul quicker than you can say "turn coat" Paul reaches out to pet him again and Boomer slinks away, not letting him touch him. Then the little snot comes up to me meowing like crazy. Paul takes a step closer and Boomer takes off to hide under the bed. oh Why oh WHY is Boomer such a spaz?? It's obvious that he can tolerate Paul, is it just that he doesn't like to show affection towards my hunny in front of me? or is he incapable of such complex reasoning and I'm just being paranoid?

trayi52
11-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Gee, that does sound strange. Never had that to happen, but I did have a cat one time that would try and make my chihuahua jealous, she would lay on me and look at Tito, like look where I am, Ha, ha, but I never had one do that. Maybe Boomer is afraid you will get jealous if he lets your sweetie pet him, or maybe he is jealous of you and him. Sorry I can't help you.:)

sirrahbed
11-22-2003, 06:12 PM
hey Missy - This is EXACTLY what Emily does to me. When dad is at work all day, I am all she has and she is very lovey dovey. Wants to be held, sits on my lap and purrs, head bumpies, the full treatment. She can even be snuggled on the bed with me, but HE walks in the door and she is off like a dart and turns her little butt to me from then on. Even gives me dirty looks!!! I reach out to pet her when he is around and she shrinks away like I beat her regularly. I want to scream! This is one for a kitty shrink:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: BRAT!!

trayi52
11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Cats! You got to love them!!!! Even the sneaky ones that try to frame us.:D

jenluckenbach
11-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Very interesting predicament. Stumps me. :confused: Maybe you'll have to give him the cold shoulder treatment. DON'T be nice to him until he allows your husband to begin to pet him again. If he wants loving he'll HAVE to go to him. (I know, easier said than done, but it SHOULD work).

Sirrahsim
11-22-2003, 07:18 PM
:eek: I don't know if I could do that Jen... all Boomer has to do is look at me with those beautiful eyes or lay on his back with his pawsies curled up all cute and i melt! I can try... he's only a kitty, right?

jenluckenbach
11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
I'd have tough time too!!! You could just say to your hubby...."Go get you OWN cat!" :D ;)

Sirrahsim
11-22-2003, 07:44 PM
lol! I wish we could get a second cat. maybe a girl kitty would take to him better?:D too bad we really can't get another while we're over here, if we get caught having Boomer we're in deep trouble. i can only imagine what they'd do if they found out we had more than one illegal pet!

jenluckenbach
11-22-2003, 07:49 PM
:( that's right, I forgot. SHEESH!!! I'd never be able to follow those rules! :rolleyes:

CatDad
11-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Who is the one that feeds him most of the time, if it is you that may be part of the reason. Just a guess.

We have kind of the same problem with the Bob. He can be my Girlfriends best friend and then I will walk in to the room and he will get up from her like they weren't doing anything. It really frusterates her. However, it has gotten much better over the last year, and he only does that every now and again.

Good luck and hopefully it will get better like it did with us.:)

catcrazylady
11-23-2003, 12:25 AM
I think it is wierd behavior but I completely understand!! Sammy is exactly the same way!! He barely gives me the time of day except at night after my husband has reached his full snore!! Then I can cuddle and love him and just purrs away and snuggles into me! If my husband rolls over and it seems like he might wake up I get BIT!! It's like he wants me to hurry up and get off of him before the oh so special daddy might see!! I tolerate it because the other eight only want me. So haha to Sammy!!

If a human treated me like that I would have a fit but since it's an adorable kitty I keep on loving and trying to win him over. Why is that????? Maybe it's not the kitties that are crazy!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

cubby31682
11-23-2003, 04:07 AM
This sounds like Cubby. Except Cubby would never run and hide under the bed. Cubby is very much MY cat. He likes hubby when hubby has food. He loves to attack him as much as possible. Every now and then he will let hubby pet him. Just enough to make Corey think that Cubby might like him then Cubby's off over to me.

Katie

neko1
11-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Tama is the same way. When my husband is around, he runs and hides from him, but will lavish me with kitty affection. But when I'm not around, Tama will sit with Brian and love him up. Only on occasion, will Tama do that with me in the room. I have such a strange Aby:p

sirrahbed
11-23-2003, 08:18 AM
I think our kitties live to show us just who is the boss:rolleyes: Maybe it is payback for the way we treated our parents:D :D :D
Seriously, it must just be a cat behavior that can't be explained, but ya gotta love them. Sometimes I want to whack Emily when she glares at me or gives me that "butt in the face" but she is so darn cute that I just melt again:D Like your Boomer!!