PDA

View Full Version : one more advocate for adoption...

ramanth
08-03-2001, 09:48 AM
Hi all! I'm new to the board. Back in late June my boyfriend wanted to look at dogs. He was feeling depressed and missed having a dog. He had a West Highland/Yorkie terrier growing up.

He wanted to go to a pet shop. I looked at him like he was nuts.

I suggested we go either to the pound or the Humane Society. The Society was closer so after work we drove over there just to look.

Yeah right.

We instantly fell in love with Kia, a Siberian Husky/Australian Cattle Dog mix. She is a new joy in our life.

She's a sweetheart!

There is no indication on why she was dropped off. Probably the same old lame excuse. Still..in the end it was all for the best because now she's with me.

I would, without hesitation, recommend to anyone interested in getting a pet to go to their local Humane Society or pound. You'll definately find the Kia's of the world there.

Kim S. & Kia
http://www.msnusers.com/PetsAnimalsChannelCommunity/msgattachments/121

Karen
08-03-2001, 09:57 AM
Good for you! And for Kia - I wonder how many people just think a pet store is the only place to get a dog, that shelters and Humane Societies never even enter their mind?

And now, not only did you save a life (Kia), and get yourselves a great dog, you have converted at least one more person, your boyfriend, to the side of those who adopt! :) :) :)

AdoreMyDogs
08-03-2001, 10:05 AM
Kim,

Welcome to Pet Talk!!! I too agree with adopting. I have adopted all of my past dogs. I have one now, Graham, who was severly abused. I adopted him from a shelter from the U.P. of MI where I went to school (a shelter very close to MTU) and he's the best thing that has ever happened to me. He has excelled in obedience, we are going to be trying out for either his NADAC and/or his USDAA titles in agility, and also will be testing him within the next couple of months to be a certified therapy dog, as well as getting his CGC (Canine Good Citizen). All this from a dog that someone beat the crap out of and then dumped onto the streets! You can find the brightest gems in shelters!

Where in MI are you? I currently live in Troy, but we are moving to a townhouse in Auburn Hills for 6 months to a year until our house is built, then we will be moving to Macomb Twp. I have an aussie mix named Graham. Here he is. Welcome to the board. I hope you like it as much as I do, and congrats on adopting your baby. It's amazing what you can find in the shelters!

ramanth
08-03-2001, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Karen:
<STRONG>Good for you! And for Kia - I wonder how many people just think a pet store is the only place to get a dog, that shelters and Humane Societies never even enter their mind?

And now, not only did you save a life (Kia), and get yourselves a great dog, you have converted at least one more person, your boyfriend, to the side of those who adopt! :) :) :)</STRONG>

Thank you. :D

I think a lot of people overlook shelthers thinking that only the problem animals get dropped off. WRONG! It's the people that drop them off that are the problem.

I like to think that I saved her life. I can't imagine how she was at the shelter for over a month with those bright blue eyes.

Kim S.

ramanth
08-03-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
<STRONG>Kim,

Welcome to Pet Talk!!! I too agree with adopting. I have adopted all of my past dogs. I have one now, Graham, who was severly abused.

Where in MI are you? I currently live in Troy, but we are moving to a townhouse in Auburn Hills for 6 months to a year until our house is built, then we will be moving to Macomb Twp. I have an aussie mix named Graham. Here he is. Welcome to the board. I hope you like it as much as I do, and congrats on adopting your baby. It's amazing what you can find in the shelters!</STRONG>

Thanks! Your Graham sounds like an absolute winner. Kia has some problems, very minor, and in my opinion, all due to the fact that she was dumped at a shelter.

But she's housebroken (not one single accident), she doesn't chew on anything, rarely barks, obedient, playful, and she knows tricks! But since both of her breeds likes to run, she can't be off a leash outside of a fenced yard.

We're currently in Okemos, MI. My boyfriend, Michael, attends MSU. I just recently graduated from LCC.

We live in an apartment right now. It's spacious but we spend the majority of our time outside with her. (The apartment complex has a huge, tree shaded yard). We're currently looking for a house in the area.

Kim S.

AdoreMyDogs
08-03-2001, 10:50 AM
Hi Kim,

Graham and I are in a performance group called The Rock & Roll K-9's and we do shows all around MI. Next weekend I will be in at least 2 shows with him in Garden City (a far drive for you) at the Family Festival. If you are interested in seeing us in action let me know and I'll give you more info. Last week we did a few shows at the Novi Expo Center. It's real fun to watch, some of those dogs are absolutely amazing. They have lots of fun stuff to see, including flyball, grand prix races (like agility speed competitions), and other fun stuff. Let me know if you and your boyfriend would like to go.

Your dog sounds great. I bet she is incredibly stunning beyond words! That running thing is pretty typical of those breeds I think, it's great that you rescued her because there's a good chance she would not have been adopted due to the running thing. 3 cheers for you and your boyfriend :D You saved a life :)

ramanth
08-03-2001, 11:34 AM
AdoreMyDogs:
I'd love to know when your show will be in the area. I'm not too far from Novi. I've driven there a couple of times for Comic Conventions. :D

My email and a pic of me and Kia is in my profile.

SpencerTheLion:
Bucky is gorgeous! There are currently 5 cats at my parents house. All farm cats or strays found in the area. They live out in the country. We neuter them if it was not already done and have all their shots given.

They are all characters in of themselves.

This is my cat Chance (the third oldest) and my hamster Maximus.

Kim S.
http://www.msnusers.com/PetsAnimalsChannelCommunity/msgattachments/116
http://www.msnusers.com/PetsAnimalsChannelCommunity/msgattachments/117

kobieeli
08-03-2001, 01:02 PM
From another newbie...welcome!

Adopted or rescued dogs are so special. My parents adopted a beautiful GSD mix from a shelter and rescued an abused Great Dane--both are the greatest dogs and made me think first of going to the SPCA when, years later, I too wanted to get a pet of my own.

Now we've got a 2 year old mix of, we think, Norwegian Elkhound (or Husky?) and red ACD. Kobie's so intense and athletic in all she does, and striking-looking. People ask if she's a large Shiba Inu! ("Er, nope, just a shelter mutt." &lt;mouth gapes open&gt; "Really?" "Indeed. Go to the SPCA and see for yourself all the gems that have no homes.") We consider Kobie a walking advertisement for shelter adoption.

Got a picture of your Kia? The one posted to your profile didn't seem to work for me. You can see Kobie at this address: www.strd.com/kobie.jpg (http://www.strd.com/kobie.jpg)

-Amber

ramanth
08-03-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kobieeli:
<STRONG>Got a picture of your Kia? The one posted to your profile didn't seem to work for me. You can see Kobie at this address: www.strd.com/kobie.jpg (http://www.strd.com/kobie.jpg)

-Amber</STRONG>

I do. I was originally linking the image from MSN but the images were only showing up if I was logged in. But I'm a web designer, so we're remedying that problem fast. *grins*

Kim S.

mugsy
08-03-2001, 03:00 PM
Kobi is a beauty!! I wish our scanner worked so I could scan pictures of our 10, although I'm not sure they'd all fit!! lol

Karen
08-03-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by kobieeli:
<STRONG>From another newbie...welcome!
You can see Kobie at this address: www.strd.com/kobie.jpg (http://www.strd.com/kobie.jpg)

-Amber</STRONG>

Hey - Kobie looks alot like my brother's shelter pup - Nilla is a yellow lab/husky mix. He's big, though, last trip to the vet he has 115 pounds, and he's NOT fat! :) He's too woggly to get fat - it took 4 people to get his blood sample at his checkup - he was excited, wiggly, he's got very thick fur, and his vein rolls! But all was well in the end! :)

ramanth
08-03-2001, 03:37 PM
A PICTURE OF KIA! Three of them actually.
*grins*

Pictures of Kia (http://www.geocities.com/ramanth/kia.html)

Kim S.

kobieeli
08-03-2001, 03:49 PM
Kobie says thanks for all the compliments! &lt;lick lick&gt;

We're trying to get a better pic of her: that one was taken before she'd filled out (she's now 43 pounds of lean muscle and a big neck), and the lighting doesn't show her yellow-gold eyes. Still, you can tell she's got that hypnotic cattledog stare and serious demeanor...

I'd be curious if any of you have nordic breeds or ACDs that are dog-aggressive? Kobie's not very good with others (hair on end, snarls, needs lots of time to become friendly), although she's learning to be better thanks to our second dog Eli. We've read that this can be a problem with such breeds, but it might also be a result of having been a stray. Any thoughts?

*Kim S., Kia is awesome-looking! Those eyes are amazing, and the ears are great. Her structure and colors definitely resemble Kobie's, although Kia looks to be a bit bigger. Cute mug shot!

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

jackiesdaisy1935
08-03-2001, 04:58 PM
Kobe and Kia are just beautiful dogs. How lucky you were to get them and welcome to PetTalk, thats what we all love to do is talk about our Pets.
Snowshoe is a really pretty cat.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
08-03-2001, 11:33 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Kim and kobieeli! Your dogs are both acsolutely gorgeous!!! We're glad to have ya.

AdoreMyDogs
08-04-2001, 12:04 AM
Both of those dogs are BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely stunning! And that snowshow cat is my favorite type of cat as far as looks go. I had a friend with 2 of them, they are incredibly beautiful. I am not surprised he got adopted so quick, but why would someone want to get rid of him in the first place is my question? Or any of those beautiful critters for that matter!