PDA

View Full Version : Fohnetiklee Speeking

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-21-2003, 11:54 PM
I was thinking about this the other day... how do you say certain words???

I say Grandpa - Grampa. Same with Grandma.

I say warm- W-ARM. My friend tells me it's wo-arm. :p
_
Toma-toe, Tomato?

Moose
11-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Hm, I don't really notice these things until my friends start making fun of me for it. lol

Apparently I say:

--Italian like "eye-tal-ian" instead of "i-tal-ian"
--Wendy's [the restaurant] like "win-dees" instead of "when-dees"
--Coke like "c-oh-k" instead of "c-oak"

I don't know.....the list could go on for awhile, I guess that's what I get for growing up in Tennessee as a child.....now I have a slight southern accent........apparently. lol

Twisterdog
11-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Italian like "eye-tal-ian" instead of "i-tal-ian"

LOL ... my dad says that, too.

He also says "A-rab" with a long A sound instead of "Ar-ab" with a short A sound.

He grew up in Texas, maybe it's a southern thing.

He and my mom also say "warsh" instead of "wash" ... like WaRshington DC and warsh the dishes. That one makes my eyes water, let me tell you.

I don't really know if I say anything like that, I guess you'd have to ask my friends. LOL

Cookiebaker
11-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
He and my mom also say "warsh" instead of "wash" ... like WaRshington DC and warsh the dishes. That one makes my eyes water, let me tell you.

Same with my Dad!! I think I was around 12 when I realized that he said it incorrectly. :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
11-22-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm not really sure about me....LOL
But my dad pronounces Panda like Pawn-da. Not Pan-da. :p

lovemyshiba
11-22-2003, 10:40 AM
My uncle says warsh too--he also calls Wal-Mart walmarc!!!!!!!

A few people I work with say keller, for color--weird!!!

CamCamPup33
11-22-2003, 10:43 AM
My mom says Mo-cycle instead of Mo-ter-cycle!
:p

Kfamr
11-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Apparently, I say "Fur" when I say "For".

My Memaw sais "Wal-Mark" and "K-Mark".

primabella
11-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I say sang-which instead of sandwhich :o

And I can never say "couch" without sounding stupid :p

Kfamr
11-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Am I the only one pronouncing these words out loud that people post to see how I pronounce them?:rolleyes: :p

GoldenRetrLuver
11-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Am I the only one pronouncing these words out loud that people post to see how I pronounce them?:rolleyes: :p

No, I'm doing it too! :p:o

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Apparently, I say "Fur" when I say "For".

Yeah I think everyone lets fur slip out when they mean for. :) I do. lol

I also say SAN-witch for sandwich.

I get picked on a lot for this one.

I apparently say MELk instead of milk with a short i. :p

lovemyshiba
11-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

I apparently say MELk instead of milk with a short i. :p

I do too!!!
:)

mahayana
11-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Had a Minister from Vermont once who led the Lord's Prayer-

"Are Farther who art in Heaven..."

America has 12 main regional dialects, and of course Webster was a Yankee, so you can't even check the dictionary!

Move anywhere else, and you'll start getting "you aren't from around here, are you?" Hah!

Twisterdog
11-22-2003, 03:43 PM
America has 12 main regional dialects

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. What/where are they?

cali
11-22-2003, 03:53 PM
i noticed people pronounce collie different i pronouce it caw-lee, but i have heard lots of people pronounce it c-oh-lee :p

slleipnir
11-22-2003, 04:27 PM
I can't think of anything right off, but I know I have some lol. My dad gets annoyed if I don't use proper grammer or speak right and tells me to say it right -__-'

My niece says pillow - pal-oh :X My moms roommate says wash -war-sh, the letter h - hay-ch...oh I could go on and on with my moms roommate..only its more along the lines she just doesn't know the proper word or something..and shes like 40 something -__-' Like, extinct, she says destinct..:X Giraffe is like draft, only spelt graphitti..LOL Anywho that has nothing to do with this topic..

GoldenRetrLuver
11-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by cali
i noticed people pronounce collie different i pronouce it caw-lee, but i have heard lots of people pronounce it c-oh-lee :p

Everyone over here pronounces it Call-ee. :p

popcornbird
11-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Everyone over here pronounces it Call-ee. :p

That's how I say it too. :p

This thread is funny! My dad says a lot of things different.........:o

Like, he calls tofu *Too foo* :p

and he calls Soybean *Soya bean*

Kfamr
11-22-2003, 05:31 PM
I pronounce it Call-ee as well.

mahayana
11-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Twisterdog, here is a short version, from Reader's Digest "Success With Words, A Guide To The English Language",1983.

"There are two major divisions of dialect, sociolinguistic and linguistic geography. The first studies the language varieties of various social groups, the second studies the language variety of a particular region of a country.

"In the US the larger divisions of regional dialect are Northern, North Midland, South Midland, Southern, and Western. These are further divided into Hudson Valley, Inland Northern, New England, New York City, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Southwest, Rocky Mountain, Southwestern, Virginia Piedmont, Coastal Southern, Gulf Southern, and South Midland."

There are lots of smaller divisions, too; in NYC it's easy to tell who is from the Bronx or Joisey. Everyone can tell a Minnesota accent from a Chicago accent. etc.

Well, I think I'll go fix a gorilla cheese sanwhich! :)

mahayana
11-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Here are two more examples - the words "often" and "nuclear".

Peter Jennings says off-ten. I was taught in school that often was an example of a word with a silent letter, pronounced off-en.

"Oft" is an Old English usage.

I avoid speaking the word and say "frequently" instead.
_

Our President says nuke-you-lure. Anyone that's ever taken chemistry or physics and knows what a nuke-lee-us is, says nuke-lee-are.

I hope he doesn't push that button!