PDA

View Full Version : Mace

Tonya
11-21-2003, 09:27 PM
The phone company that I work for does not allow us to carry mace. The reason is because years back, a tech maced a dog and the woman sued. She won alot of money for emotional suffering. We are often getting into situations with aggressive dogs. We have a large screwdriver that the guys nicknamed "Dog killer" because we can't carry mace. Almost all techs will carry the screwdriver readily when they enter a backyard. I personally feel that even if my life was on the line, I would be unable to stab a dog. I think that mace is much more humane.

Anyways, SBC isn't the only company out there that doesn't allow mace. Do you all think that folks that deal with animals on a daily basis should be allowed to carry it? Do you think it is cruel, even when necessary?

babolaypo65
11-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Question: is it really MACE or pepper spray?

Tonya
11-21-2003, 09:52 PM
We can't have anything of that sort. They tell us "Just don't get attacked."

Twisterdog
11-21-2003, 10:08 PM
I feel for you. I think it stinks that meter readers, mail carriers, etc. have to risk their safety to go in people's yards, to perform a service. It is no one RIGHT to have their meter read or mail delivered. It is a privledge. I think they LEAST they can do is make sure no one is going to get bit.

When I bought my house, one of the meters was in the dog's yard. I called the gas company and had them move the meter, at my expense, to the other side of the house. No problem, I felt it was what I should do. I never expected the meter reader to negotiate my dogs!

I think you definately should be allowed to carry pepper spray. I carry pepper spray every time I take my dogs for a walk, and I will NOT hesitate to spray a loose dog that tries to attack my leashed dog.

I also keep pepper spray in my boarding kennel. It would be stupid of me not to. I've never had to use it, in eight years, but I have considered it a time or two.

Dogs, however domesticated we see them, are still animals. Animals are unpredictable at times ... ALL animals. Better to have a dog sprayed with pepper spray, then shot or gassed by animal control for biting someone.

Shelteez2
11-21-2003, 10:18 PM
It sucks that you aren't allowed to protect yourself with pepper spray, but are encouraged to stab a dog. And no one's going to get upset if you stab their dog?? I don't think so.

Maybe this product could be an option for you:
Direct Stop (http://www.valleyvet.com/product.html/prod30E07263-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5prod/cat230E080F8-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5/?ccd=INK002)

Twisterdog
11-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Maybe this product could be an option for you:

I know that Direct Stop does not stop dogs that are fighting. My sister tried it with her dogs, it didn't phase them in the least. Of course, her dogs are quite over the top at times.

:rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
11-21-2003, 11:46 PM
(not ment to offend anyone)

Grr, Meter People :p Our meter person is a little, umm how do I say this politly, slow. He pissed me off the day he came to our house. We had Nova outside going potty. Which is fine cause Nova wouldn't hurt anyone unless they hurt me. Well anyway, the meter guy comes into our yard, tells Nova to sit and stay and then LEAVES THE GATE OPEN and checks the meter :mad: :mad: :mad: I am fine and dandy with him comeing to check the meter! But leaving the gate open and putting the safty of MY baby in danger, no, I think not :mad:

Well anyway. I think you should be aloud to use Mace. As long as you have taken a course in how to properly use it. I know I don't want someone comeing into my back yard maceing my dog because she came aproaching him wagging her tail. (not that you would but come on there has to be atleast one person in the bunch) I do however think you should be able to carry it as I know some dogs around here WOULD attack you!

So I say yes, for you own protection, but ONLY if you know how to use it!

Ashley

Shelteez2
11-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I know that Direct Stop does not stop dogs that are fighting. My sister tried it with her dogs, it didn't phase them in the least. Of course, her dogs are quite over the top at times.

:rolleyes:

Yeah it has a disclaimer about that on the site, but it's better than nothing since they're not allowed to carry something stronger.

CathyBogart
11-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Aspen: I once found an ancient Golden retriever tottering down my street and tracked down his momma. Turned out that the meter person had dome the SAME thing, and the 17 year old puppy had wandered off. He was nearly BLIND, it would have been so easy for him to get killed. :mad:

In my experience, pepper spray just makes an angry dog angrier. A squirt gun is much handier IMO.

Twisterdog
11-22-2003, 01:35 AM
In my experience, pepper spray just makes an angry dog angrier. A squirt gun is much handier IMO.

I would imagine, that if a dog is going to attack you through pepper spray, that it is not even going to notice a little water. Pepper spray is pretty nasty stuff to get sprayed with!

I'm curious, too ... the people that are saying no dog should ever be spayed with Mace ... what do they suggest? And would they feel differently if they had a job that brought them in contact with strange, unpredictable dogs on a daily basis?

Tonya
11-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Well anyway, the meter guy comes into our yard, tells Nova to sit and stay and then LEAVES THE GATE OPEN and checks the meter I am fine and dandy with him comeing to check the meter! But leaving the gate open and putting the safty of MY baby in danger, no, I think not

We have that problem frequently at my work. Customers are always calling upset because the phone guy didn't latch the gate. The guys will be like "Oh, I just opened the gate and the dog ran off." It ticks me off. I'm very cautious when I open gates, I'm ready for dashers.

Personally, I think alot of jerks let the dogs loose on purpose. Then they can work without a dog bothering them. I think there should be alot more discipline then "Be careful next time." It makes me so mad!

BTW, I carry doggy treats in my toolbelt. You'd be surprised at how well it works. Everyonce in a while I'll get a dog that'll take the treat, stash it and come back and continue snapping and growling. By the time I'm done working, the jerk will have a pile of treats. lol.

babolaypo65
11-22-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm the obnoxious person who has my gate locked. folks have to call me to have it unlocked. My friend's dachsund down the block was killed recently because the Gas company left the gate open. Mine's been locked since then.

FWIW my gas meter is not in the back yard. The phone guys don't really come to my yard, and can access the pole from my neighbors yard.
The Electric company knows and makes an appointment when it's time to mark the trees.

babolaypo65
11-22-2003, 09:43 AM
Tonya, I think you should definitely have some options. And a screwdriver is not an option. I feel for you.

Tonya
11-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Luckily, I haven't had a bad experience yet. I'm fairly good with dogs, even aggressive ones. The worse that ever happened was out in the country. This dog came out of the middle of no where. I was sitting down with the cable. All day long he circled me and growled. Everytime, he'd leave, I'd stand up to go to my truck and he'd dash back and snap at me. He wanted me to stay in one spot. lol. He never actually bit me though. I think he was just as scared of me. I wound up calling the boss, he located the owner and they came and got him. :rolleyes:

Sooner or later, I will have a problem, I am sure. I always meet the dog through the fence before I go into the backyard. But alot of the worse dogs are just loose running in the streets our unfenced out in the countries. If it ever comes to a point where I don't feel I can trust them, I will not go back there.

Aspen and Misty
11-22-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry, but if a metor guy EVER left my gate open and my dog got out charges would be pressed.

babolaypo65 - I recently bought locks for my gates, I love the security it gives me knowing no one is going to steal my dogs *as easily*

Ash

babolaypo65
11-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I'm sorry, but if a metor guy EVER left my gate open and my dog got out charges would be pressed.

babolaypo65 - I recently bought locks for my gates, I love the security it gives me knowing no one is going to steal my dogs *as easily*

Ash

All the good it did me today when the windstorm broke the gate! (He's okay, I posted about it in general). Gate is fixed now too. :)

CatDad
11-23-2003, 02:24 AM
I think that you should be allowed to do something. The screwdriver has a lot more potiential for crulety then mace.

It is a sorry state when you are not allowed to at least protect yourself to some extent.

ramanth
11-24-2003, 10:04 AM
I think Mace or pepperspray is definately more humane than a screwdriver.

2kitties
11-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I run quite a bit and my biggest fear out on the road is a loose dog. So, I carry the pepper spray. I suppose it is there for the occassional attacker/rapist/murderer too.;)

RICHARD
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
remember that a dog's nose is MORE sensitive than a regular person's nose.....Mace is probably more
of a problem to them....

a squirt bottle filled with a vinegar water solution is what i carried while biking.....

The kitchen squirter/pressurized bottle you use for cooking oil is a good thing to have.

KYS
11-24-2003, 08:53 PM
posted by babolaypo65:I'm the obnoxious person who has my gate locked. >>>>>

LOL! Me too.
My Gas meter is in the side back yard, and the electric
was in the back. I paid $1000.00, 5 yrs ago to move
the electric to the side.
I put a gate up closing off the back yard from the
side yard where the gas meter is, and made it into a dog run.
As for the gas meter, Every January I call up the
Gas company and they send me a card that shows
the dates they will be comming to my house.
I simply than lock up the dog run from the back yard,
or leave the dogs in the house.
That way my dogs and the meter reader are always safe.

As for as using Mace, I have mixed feelings, but
I feel the meter readers have a right to protect
themselves, and I believe us home owners
have the obligations to protect the meter reader
and our dogs. :)