PDA

View Full Version : Update.....and asking for prayers.....

Moose
11-21-2003, 05:20 PM
As most of you know, my father was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. He has started his treatments and has been doing them for a fair amount of time, but there haven't been any signs of recovery yet and seems to be doing worse. This has really put a strain on our family as a whole, and I am constantly getting into arguments with my mother.....I think the stress of the whole situation is creating a lot of ridiculous tension between us.

This is really scary for us because my dad's father died of cancer about 7 or 8 years ago, my dad's mother had part of her lung removed after finding out she had lung cancer, and my dad's sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 years ago . I know, scary isn't it?.....everyone just happens to be on my dad's side. :eek:

Anyway, I'm asking that you all keep my father in your thoughts and prayers.....please send some good vibes this way, we could definitely use them. I'm not asking for your sympathy or anything like that, I just think that the more hopeful thoughts we get the better. My dad would certainly appreciate it......I told him some of you who had seen my first post were pulling for him, and he really seemed touched that people he has never even met were keeping him in their thoughts.

We [b]all really do appreciate every little thing you guys have done and can do just through prayers and good thoughts, so please....keep them coming this way. :) Thanks you guys! :D

BTW -- For those of you who read my last post and were wondering how my boyfriend and I are doing, let's just say things seem to be looking up day by day. We have gotten over the biggest hurdle in our "disagreement" and will hopefully be over the rest soon.

CountryWolf07
11-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Of course.. You have my prayers. :)

primabella
11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry about your dad and the tension that it is causing on your family. :( Sending some positive vibes to your family and I'll keep your father in my prayers tonight. Hope everything works out for the best. :)

Rio and Me
11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Me and Rio are sending prayers and happy thought to you and your family! and to little moosey to he to must be feeling to upset vibes!!!
Ky and Rio

popcornbird
11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
One of the hardest things to deal with..........a sick family member. :( Of course your dad and family will be in my thoughts and prayers! I know its not easy. My parents' friend's 2 year old son was diagnosed with cancer last year. He's been on treatment for over a year now, and this did his scans last week to check if the cancer's gone. Nope........there are two new tumors in other places...........so they're repeating the treatment. :( He looks/acts normal, but that's because he's under treatment. If they let go, it will spread. Poor baby.......my heart goes out to his family, as it does to your's. Cancer isn't an easy thing to deal with. Its scary.........very scary, and you have my thoughts and prayers.

Moose
11-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Thank you so much, guys. Popcornbird, I feel so sorry for your friend's son.....and I will certainly send my own best wishes to them. After experiencing it firsthand, I have a special place for them in my heart. :(

CatDad
11-21-2003, 05:48 PM
The kitties and I are sending prayers for your dada. Also, sending some positive thoughts for the entire family.

Moose
11-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Thank you, Bryan. :)

Karen
11-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Your dad will be in our prayers, I promise. When you have a chance, take your mom out for a girl's only lunch, just to let her know that, despite the disagreements, you still love her!

tatsxxx11
11-21-2003, 05:59 PM
I understand what you and your family are going through right now. I lost my mother to cancer when I was quite young. 3 years ago, my father was diagnosed with leukemia. Unfortunately, he came out of remission this summer. But after 2 hospitalizations and further chemotherapy, he's finally beginning to rally again. This type of illness leaves everyone in the family feeling stressed and frightened and tired. But you need each other to lean on and to give each other strength. Sometimes just talking about your feelings helps. I don't know what type of cancer your Dad has or if he's undergoing treatment. But both chemotherapy and raditaion treatment often leaves the person feeling lots worse before they begin to feel better. Some days my Dad was so exhausted and nauseated, he could barely face the day. I'll be keeping your Dad in my extra special "Daddy" prayers and sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hang in there. Big hugs to you and Moosie:) Love, Sandra

Moose
11-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Thank you so much for the concern and idea, Karen. :)

Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles....but I do really appreciate your special thoughts. :) My father has been doing treatments, and no.....he really hasn't felt well at all. I really do hope that you are right, and that he will feel better soon.

Tonya
11-21-2003, 07:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Best wishes.

dukedogsmom
11-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I can only imagine how scared you all are. I am terrified of that horrible disease. So much so that I've even gotten insurance on it. I hope your dad does well and has many happy years ahead. It's horrible to have to deal with. I hope your family gains strength by sticking together. It can be conquered sometimes. I'm a firm believer in approaching things like this in a positive manner. The mind is a very powerful thing and can accomplish things doctors sometimes can't. I wish you all well. You ought to print these messages out and let him read them. It might make him feel better to know that a lot of people are thinking about him and his family. Glad to know things are a little better with your boyfriend. Relationships can be a real pain sometimes but for the most part, they're worth it.

Moose
11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Thank you so much, Val and Tonya. :)

Val, I actually e-mailed him the URL to this thread and he checked it out earlier today. He was pretty impressed and really shocked.....I definitely believe he was touched by it [he's just trying to be tough and won't admit it ;)].

We both thank you for your words of concern, and admire your ability to throw us into your prayers without even knowing us all that well. Thank you.

ChrisH
11-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your Dad, and for the whole family too.
Hugs
Chris

robinh
11-22-2003, 09:46 AM
My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you.

My sister is in the same battle with lung cancer. Tell your dad there is hope. My sister is currently in remission. We are all so thankful.

One thing that might break some of the tension with your mom is to give her a hug. Sounds too simple, but I'm sure she's needing the support as much as you are. Sticking together is what will get you through this.

gini
11-22-2003, 11:22 AM
When a family member that we dearly love is ill, it leaves us all feeling so helpless and frightened.

Of course, if we could, we would wave a wand and make it all go away. But we can't.

Yes, a hug for your Mom, I know she could use one, and she will hug you back because you need one too.

Please know that I will keep your entire family in my prayers and hope that soon you can share good news with us on your Dad's progress.

Foam
11-22-2003, 11:36 AM
You've definetly got my positive thoughts. Good luck, Brooke's daddy! =) Please feel better soon!

Moose
11-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks so much, guys. :)

You have no idea how much I would love to give my mom, sister, and dad a hug.....but with a drive over 8 hours between us, it makes things pretty tough. I think that's the hardest part for me.....I can't be there when I really want/need to. :( Thank God I'm going home on Tuesday for Thanksgiving break.

Albea
11-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Prayers and many get well wishes for your dad from us.

Randi
11-22-2003, 11:55 AM
I'll be sending positive thoughts for your dad's recovery and your entire family!

Hugs to you all! :)

Moose
11-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Albea....thanks, Randi. :)

slick
11-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Moose, I'm soooo sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've had alot of cancer in my family too. My Grandfather died of throat cancer (from smoking), my Aunt died from breast cancer, my father lived with skin cancer for most of his life and right now my cousin in battling lung cancer that has now spread to her brain.

When you go home, make sure you tell them you love them. Try to put aside all the bad things that have been said among the family. Now is the time you need them, and they need you.

Prayers going out to you and all of your family. Also, saying a special prayer that things continue to improve with you and your BF. This might be a corny cliche, but "hang on to a good thing and don't let it slip away." Love is too hard to find these days and he can help you through the rough spots.

Hugs to you.

K9karen
11-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Add me to the list of wellwishers too! My family has experienced a similar situation with an illness and nursing home care and recent cancer deaths too. I really, honestly feel your anxiety and tension. You never have a clear mind or heart. It take a toll on everything and everyone. Please try not to feel so bad about the arguments. I had to go to a therapist after my dad died and it is so normal for these things to happen. I don't think I said "I'm sorry" so much in my life. We've always been a "huggy/kissy" family and at the end of the day, tears and hugs went a long way. It's so frustrating to see a family member suffer, especially a parent who's not allowed to get sick...Rolls reversed in my family when I had to wash and change my dad for a while. Please know, and I'm sure you do..that your mom and dad know you love them to bits. I'm glad you're going to have a family Thanksgiving. It'll help to see everyone. Like Sandra.."Daddy Prayers" will be said for you. Please also give him a big hug from me and lots of encouragement for a speedy recovery!

trayi52
11-23-2003, 12:19 AM
I know Brooke that you are going through a very bad time right now while your dad is sick, I know also how hard it is on the family, it is hard on your dad, very hard so many worries. Your mother is going through a very tough time too right now, when you have somebody sick that is close to you, you never stop worrying, my husband does not have cancer but he has heart and lung problems, and we have been dealing with this for such a long time. I worry about him contantly, I even watch him sleep and make sure he is still breathing. I hope and wish the best for your dad, mother and you. Its really hard for you to have to be so far away and worry about what is going on at home. Bless you Brooke and your family.:)

bluekat
11-23-2003, 09:25 AM
I know its really hard to deal with when you have a sick family member:(
I have already been sending good thoughts and prayers your way since your first post:) and I will continue to.
Try to not get into that many arguments with your mom, just try to always think of good thoughts and remember that your dad will recover soon:).