PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness for Animal Lovers

Xena
12-26-2001, 06:31 PM
I had a client, Bev come into my office today and told me a story that made me so mad. Bev said her and her husband were coming home from thier daughters house and were on a long stretch of road with woods on both sides. They saw a truck pull over in front of them. They slowed down to see what was going on. The truck took off and standing in the middle of the road was a frightened dog. The dog would not move. Upcoming traffic all stopped. Bev is pretty sure the truck dumped the dog off before it fled. She was able to get the dog into her car. The dog has been abused and is malnourished. She has cuts across her back and cigarette burns on her paws. Bev said even though she looked bigger she still has her puppy teeth. Bev and her husband call her Skinny. (Thier two year old grandson named her.) She is white with brown ears, brown patches and brown on her tail. Bev said she looks like a hunting dog but she is not sure. She said her nose was white at first but now has turned pink this morning and she is beginning to eat really good. Her cuts are healing nicely. She was going to try and find a home for her but Skinny is going to need alot of rehabilitation. Bev said it appears that Skinny was not brought indoors much and is afraid of everything. When you go to pet Skinny she cowers and tries to hide. She said she was putting a shoe away and Skinny took off into a corner wimpering. Bev said that her and her husband have decided to keep her to be sure she has a safe home. God Bless Bev and her husband for caring and taking Skinny in. I know that Skinny will have a loving home and has two playmates. Miraculously Bev's two dogs that she took in as strays years ago have adopted Skinny and watch over her as if protecting her she said. Bev is taking Skinny to the vets on Monday for a full examination.This has been a special holiday season for me first there was Toby who was an abused kitty and now Skinny. They will both go from a horrid past to a loving future. Thank you God for watching over them and giving them second chances.
Xena :)

zippy-kat
12-26-2001, 06:43 PM
Bless Bev, her hubby, and Skinny!! What a happy ending. My prayers are with them--hopefully the vet check will turn out A-OK!

lizbud
12-26-2001, 07:09 PM
Isn't strange how sometimes good, caring
people are in the "right" place at the
"right" time. The fact that Skinny was so
accepted by the other dogs makes me feel
that this pup will overcome her horrible
past and learn to trust again.Your friends
are Angels in disguise.Thank God for people
like them. Thanks for a good ending(beginning for Skinny) to what was a very sad situation.

Logan
12-26-2001, 07:22 PM
I truly believe we are put in the "right place at the right time". Xena, I'm sure you were, when Pam came to you and you were able to rescue Toby. Thanks for this heartwarming story.......I hope Skinny will be just fine. :D

Sudilar
12-26-2001, 08:12 PM
What a fantastic rescue story!! :) Bless Bev and hubby for being so caring. I hope all goes well at the vets. Skinny is so very lucky to have found a new loving forever home.

Xena
12-27-2001, 05:28 AM
The problem in our area is we have alot of homeless dogs and cats. Normally not abused like Toby and Skinny Thank God. We are hoping that Skinny will only need her shots and is going to need to be worked with alot to build trust again. Bev is going to let me know and keep me updated. I had tried to call rescue groups in our area before about Toby but they are all underfunded and overloaded. They refer me back to animal control. They say they are sorry but that they don't have the funds or space to help at this time. When Bev calls me after the vet visit I will know more about expenses involved and see where we stand. I am praying she will only need her shots and the exam goes fine. Our local PetsMart works with a local rescue group finding homes for homeless animals and getting donations for thier cause so they already have boxes set up for that. Some of our local vets work with local organizations finding homes and collecting donations for the rescue organizations. Toby's Animal Clinic that he goes to is one of them. That I am sure is why the Vet cut his bill in half to help. Toby is going to the dental clinic in the same Animal Hospital today for the dental estimate. Bev is taking Skinny there on Monday. I am going to talk to the vet's office tonight about Skinny and explain the situation. I am sure they will help her too.
Xena

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

Xena
12-27-2001, 07:15 AM
Spencer I just got another idea though. I am going to make some more phone calls and see if it can be done.
Thanks,
Xena :D

mugsy
12-27-2001, 08:58 AM
My thoughts are with poor skinny. I hope your friend is able to keep him. It sounds like he could use some loving parents and friends right now. Please keep us up to date.

jennifert
12-27-2001, 09:26 AM
I listen to these miraculous stories about rescues that the folks on Pet Talk and their friends have participated in...It's amazing! I firmly believe that God puts these wonderful people in the "right" place at the "right" time to save these animals...I don't believe that it is a coincidence. I'm so happy for Skinny and Bev. They were obviously made for each other and there is a reason they met. I'm sure there is no reason why these evil people treated Skinny or any animal so terribly but fate intervened to save Skinny. And all the others that have been saved by wonderful people...Thank you all for being so caring and giving. :)

Sudilar
12-27-2001, 04:39 PM
It is so true about the right people being in the right place at the right time to save a life. We do hear about it all the time on the various pet and rescue BBs. Thank Heaven for all the loving and caring rescuers! However, I pray that a day comes when I click on the "Dogs Available" page at any shelter that the word "None" comes up! What a glorious day that will be.

tatsxxx11
12-27-2001, 05:11 PM
I truly believe God sent Skinny a Christmas guardian angel. Bless Bev, her family, and her dear furry ones for opening their home and hearts to this beautiful girl; a glorious expression of the true spirit of Christmas. Please pass along our prayers and love to Bev, her family and Skinny! Love, Sandra, Star and Cody.

Xena
12-28-2001, 01:15 PM
Bev and I are taking Skinny to the vets tomorrow afternoon to be sure she is ok internally. We decided not to wait til next week. I will let you know how she makes out in her exam. Bev says Skinny is still eating really good and is relaxing a little more now.
Xena :)

Xena
12-29-2001, 02:34 PM
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/v6/GJ/Us/j423652.jpg

This is Skinny. Bev took her to the vets today. She has hookworm and lyme disease but luckily both are treatable and the lyme disease is in the early stages. The vet said she is a Foxhound and needs lots of space to run. The marks on her are from buckshot. The vet said they are healing nicely and she should be fine. She is already coming into heat. She is approx 2 years old and weighs 32 lbs. Bev has her on Pedigree puppy food to pick up her weight. God bless Bev's husband he has given her 5 baths so far to clean her up (She was covered in dog feces he said and blood.) meanwhile Bev has been treating her wounds with medicine. She looks great! We have to wait for her heat cycle to finish before she can be spayed. The vet believes she has had at least one litter.

Some concerns Bev has are as follows. Neither of us are familiar with the Foxhound breed. We were wondering if anyone has had one or knows them well. According to the vet Skinny needs lots of space to run and plenty of exercise. Bev's house is small as is her yard and it is unfenced. So Bev is concerned whether Skinny will be happy since her dogs are indoor dogs and only go out to go to the bathroom. The vet said that Foxhounds are famous for roaming and hunting. So Bev is a little concerned. Any advice would be helpful.
Xena

jackiesdaisy1935
12-29-2001, 04:30 PM
I don't have any advice, I have two Mini Schnauzers but I wanted to say how wonderful you all are to take care of this little girl. She is just a beautiful, beautiful sweetie and I'm so glad that she will be cured and on her way to good health.
Jackie

mugsy
12-29-2001, 04:47 PM
As far as I can tell from reading about them, they sound like they are very similar to Beagles. I believe they originated in England. I would suggest getting on the net and do a search for them, I'm sure there are a lot of sites about them. Good luck. Let me know if she decides she doesn't want her, I talked to a guy who is looking for a hound, but he keeps his dogs indoors and only lets them out to play and go to the bathroom.

mugsy
12-29-2001, 05:52 PM
It's me again. I went to yahoo and found 2 or 3 sites that might help, but not a lot. The pictures that I saw are more like what I thought a foxhound looked like. They look like big beagles.

Xena
12-29-2001, 09:52 PM
Hi Mugsy from what I was able to find there is an English Foxhound and an American Foxhound that is smaller. I think she would be the American one. It does say that to have a Foxhound it is best to have a farm or live in a rural area and that they do need alot of exercise. But must be kept confined outside because they roam. In our area here the vet said that the eastern shore is real big for having foxhounds. That is mostly farmland over there I guess that is why. Does your friend have a large fenced in yard? Because Skinny seems to be over her fear now and is rearing to go. That is what worries Bev for them to let her out they have to tie her up or else she might bolt and they wouldn't be able to catch her. She said she doesn't like tying her up outside and feels bad knowing she wants to run. She is a pretty hyper little thing now. lol
Xena

jennifert
12-29-2001, 10:17 PM
(Ilovehounds) really would know the most (I'm sorry, I can't remember your first name) She knows so much about these breeds...Anyway, I'm sure Skinny is just happy to have love and would adapt to any lifestyle well.

mugsy
12-29-2001, 11:24 PM
Xena, I don't know if his yard is fenced or not. I agree, dogs adapt well. Before we moved (where we now have about 1/3 of an acre fenced), we had a dinky little yard and we had 5 when we moved and the dogs adapted well. They were perfectly happy. Has Bev considered getting a trolley so that Skinny is attached, but can still run around.

Xena
12-30-2001, 04:57 AM
Hi Mugsy and Jennifer,
Bev and I discussed that yesterday a little I was explaining it to her. I think you mean it is like a clothesline that has a lead that she could run up and back with? I have never used one so am not too experienced with one. I am going to PetsMart today to see what they have that she may be able to use. Bev has already told me that she will keep her as long as we can resolve getting her enough exercise. She says Skinny wants to go out all the time and paces. She appears to have a lot of energy now to burn off so maybe the trolley will work. I told her Skinny may have been an outdoor dog before so I am sure there is going to be an adjustment time to staying in the house more too. We just have to be careful right now as she is coming into heat. They have a Rotty a couple of doors down that keeps jumping his fence so they placed chicken wire across the top. Now he has learned to climb the fence and wants to keep coming for visits in thier yard. For now we know she is best to be confined and only allowed out to go to the bathroom until her heat cycle is finished and we can get her spayed. And I agree that she will eventually adapt to her new family and living arrangements.

Xena

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

jennifert
12-30-2001, 07:21 PM
When I first got Duncan, we figured he was an outdoor dog too. He had a scar around his neck that the vet thinks may have been caused by a rope or wire tied around it. He was probably put in someone's back yard as a pup and left there. Thank God he escaped and they didn't bother looking for him! Anyway, he seemed to have a hard time adjusting to being indoors most of the time at first. He hung out by the front door a lot and looked out the windows constantly. He didn't seem to understand doorways or doors at all. The first few nights he would "flip out" when I shut off the lights. I think he was scared of the complete darkness inside so we slept with the lights on for a few days.If I stood up or moved, he would run to the door. I thought housebreaking him would be next to impossible but it wasn't and after about 2 weeks, he seemed to have adjusted to being an indoor house pet! So much so now that he doesn't like to be outside w/o me! I let him out to "use the facilities" and if I don't come out with him and stand on the porch, he leaps on the door until I do! It was fine in the summer but now it's like 10 degrees out...Not so much fun anymore! :)

lizbud
12-30-2001, 08:23 PM
Xena,
How much of Skinny's "restlessness & pacing
do you think is related to her heat cycle?
Also "the general stress" of going thru so
many changes in enviorment in such a short
amount of time?
With the proper amount of walks & later
with more training, some exercise in the yard
by playing fetch games with her, maybe she
would not be such a handful for her family.
What do you think?

Xena
12-31-2001, 05:32 AM
Hi Lizbud,
I am thinking that the upcoming heat cycle may be also contributing to her pacing and wanting to go outside all the time. Hopefully like you have all said she will adapt soon and enjoy her new home surroundings. Maybe when the heat cycle is over we will see a change. She goes back in 3 weeks for her vaccinations and then we should be able to schedule her to be spayed. That might calm her down a little too. I think with Bev's dogs being older and kind of laid back now that Skinny's reambunxiousness has them just a little overwhelmed. So I am asking her to hang in there to give Skinny time to adjust to all the changes and her heat cycle to finish. They may be able to work with her easier then.
Xena

Xena
01-08-2002, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to give you a quick update. Bev and her husband have decided to keep Skinny.
They said she has calmed down alot and they have set up the trolley system in her yard to run on during the day. At night her husband takes Skinny for long walks to tire her out. Skinny once pulled out of her collar while Bev was walking her. She said Skinny took off right back for the house and started scratching at the door to go back inside. So I think Skinny is quite content and happy there.
Xena :D

lizbud
01-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Xena,
Great News !! I think Skinny must know
were her forever home is. Thanks for the
update . Continued good luck to Bev , her
husband & Skinny !!

Logan
01-08-2002, 07:15 PM
Xena, that is good news. Please tell Bev that we all thank her, and you, for your generosity. Skinny sounds like she will be just fine! :D

mugsy
01-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Thank you Xena, I needed a piece of good news. I'm so glad that Bev decided to keep Skinny...they will both be very happy. Keep us up to date on her progress.