PDA

View Full Version : Hey aly, we did it again!!! ;-)

mugsy
12-07-2001, 07:43 AM
Ok, call us suckers. Our friend found a little white dog (we are pretty sure she's an Eskimo)on the side of the road. She took it home and cut out the mats and gave her a bath, but, her husband is deathly allergic to long haired dogs (and she has asthma)so couldn't keep her. She thought she had found her a home, but, alas, no, the guy said because she had pooped on the carpet, that he was going to shoot her if someone didn't come and get her. Dave and Paula went and picked her up and brought her to us. I went to school the next morning and told one of my classes about her and I had 6 kids that wanted her. Well, kids say that all the time, but one of the mothers contacted me, so we made arrangements and they came and picked little Jesse up. I asked Mary the next day how it had gone the night before and she was so happy about her. Well, last night, as Mike was leaving for work, the husband showed up at our door (without even a phone call) and handed Jesse to Mike and said it didn't work out. End of conversation. To say I was more than irritated is an understatement. I called the woman and she said that Jesse and her other dog didn't get along and that she was afraid that she wouldn't get enough exercise. WHAT EVER!!! I feel sooooo badly for the little girl. We decided that she has been jerked around enough in the week since she's been found, so we are going to keep her. Dave and Paula are going to help with vet bills and the spaying (if she needs it), so we will have some help.

AAAARRRRRGGHHH...I hate stupid people.

Ok, I made the story pretty long, but, to end it, Jesse is with us now and seems to get along fine. She only weighs about 10-15 pounds,but is small but mighty. She takes on Jazzy the Dane all the time...it's quite amusing to watch.

Logan
12-07-2001, 07:53 AM
Mugsy, you aren't suckers, you are loving human beings. I think it is awesome for you to help out like that. I'm wondering though if you ought to come up with some sort of screening form or application that you can use to help you place some of these precious kids. That way, you'd have some set rules for putting them in new homes. How is it that this dog can get along with 13 others in your home, and not just one in someone elses? I think I answered my own question....its because of you.

I have many friends who are involved in rescue, not just Golden Retriever, but other dogs too. If you ever want me to put you in touch for advice on home visits and applications, I'll be glad to do it, and I know they would be glad to advise you.

One thing is for sure, you are never without someone to hug and hold on to!!! :D

mugsy
12-07-2001, 08:05 AM
Logan, that would be awesome if you could have some people contact us. We work with the SPCA, but other view points are always welcome. I agree, we just did it too quickly, and we already talked about it, and next time there will be screening and vet checks etc. so the likelihood of this happening again are decreased.

Thanks again. They can email me at [email protected] .

Logan
12-07-2001, 08:07 AM
I'm going to email my friend, Betty, and give her your email address. And wow, does your @home still work?? You're lucky!! We've had to switch over to another provider, and it is expensive!!! :)

aly
12-07-2001, 08:23 AM
Hey! How am I ever gonna catch up with ya now mugsy??? :D

Congrats on your new baby. I was wondering when you'd get a small doggie. How's she doing?

Well my job at the humane society is Adoption Counselor, which means I interview (and deny) people all the time for animals. I'd be happy to give ya some pointers if you want.

Sorry this is so short, I'm on my way out the door to a final. I HAD to check Pet Talk before I left and I HAD to answer this post and tell you, YOU'RE MY HERO MUGSY!!!!!

RachelJ
12-07-2001, 03:41 PM
I am dying to see a picture of your new little one. Sounds like this is what some people refer to as a Spitz.

jackiesdaisy1935
12-07-2001, 05:42 PM
Mugsy, you and your husband are very kind people, anyone can tell how much you love animals, and I think with the whole crew that you have, that you can make room for one more needy baby tells volumes of the love you have for all of them. You are one of a kind.
Jackie

Angels3
12-07-2001, 09:01 PM
Great advice, Logan, about getting ideas from rescue groups concerning screening for adoption.
And, Mugsy, you & your husband have again been wonderful to a little dog in need. You make my heart glad.
:)

mugsy
12-10-2001, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys. We looked at a book at the SPCA and decided she is a miniture spitz. There is another name, but I can't remember what it is. She very obviously has had training. If you tell her to sit, there isn't a moment's hesitation. However, I think she may have been abused, because if you yell at her, she immediately goes to her back and looks pathetic. We will keep you posted.

mugsy
12-22-2001, 01:08 PM
Hey aly...I found another one last night and there was a 2nd one with him, but I couldn't get him to come to me. That makes 15, although I think this one will find a home. He's a little (and I mean little) Cocker.

The little Eskimo is ours now and her name is Jesse. Talk about small but mighty...she weighs about 12 pounds and thinks she can take on Jazzy the 115 pound Dane! lol What a sight that is!

aly
12-22-2001, 08:56 PM
I'm still trying to catch up to you mugsy!! I think I need to move to a farm first, hehe. I'm hopefully working on my third. I just brought him home tonight. He's a foster right now. I hope I can adopt him if my landlord says yes and if it works out with Shiloh (he's fine with the dogs, but I still need to watch them longer).

Here's my post with a picture of him. (http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001690)

Good luck with the little cocker. I can't wait to see pictures of Jesse :)

Pam
12-22-2001, 09:28 PM
Mugsy congratulations on your newest addition! I had an miniature Eskimo Spitz growing up and her name was Fluffy. I loved her so much. I'd love to see pictures! It may be that she wasn't abused after all, but just merely extremely submissive. My miniature poodle, Ashley, (RB) would flip onto her back if you said to her "Ashley what have you done?" LOL! You could even say that if she hadn't done anything at all and right away, over she'd go! At obedience school they just labeled her very submissive. She could, of course, at times be quite the little stinker too! :D

mugsy
12-22-2001, 09:56 PM
I got a phone call tonight from a guy who had seen the ad in the paper that I put in to say I had found him and the guy is interested in Butterscotch(that's what I'm calling the Cocker)and doesn't care that he's older...he just wants a companion.