PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen movie White Oleander

carole
11-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I would love if someone could give me a review on this film, I would really like to see it with my daughter if its suitable, so If you have seen it please let me know what you thought ok thanks.

Kater
11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
My mother and I watched it together this summer. I really liked it--- both an intense and sad film.

I cannot remember specifics about violence/language/sexual situations, etc. :o Sorry.

I would suggest just doing a search online for reviews of this film and then you can judge for yourself whether you think it is appropriate for your daughter. However, reading these extensive reviews can sometimes reveal too much.... :p You can never win!

A quick search revealed this info....

"Rated: PG-13 for mature thematic elements concerning dysfunctional relationships, drug content, language, sexuality and violence."
http://www.movieeye.com/reviews/get_movie_review/1086.html

And I agree with both of these reviews....

"The Bottom Line: Interesting coming of age story, but full of violence, hypocrisy and little hope. Not for children. Watch it for the heroine instead."
http://www.shopping.com/xMPR-White-Oleander~PD-269573133185~RI-96496029316

"The Bottom Line: It is excellent, because it is dark, realistic, brutal and never wallows on in sentimentality. It also features amazing performances."
http://www.shopping.com/xMPR-White-Oleander~PD-269573133185~RI-105633713796

Hope that helps!

Cheshirekatt
11-20-2003, 10:29 PM
I saw it and thought it was a great movie. As was said before, very, very intense.

All of the acting was amazing, there's implied sexual situations and I don't remember any nudity.

Watching the movie has really made me want to read the book.

Michelle Pheifer was both beautiful and evil in this movie.

2kitties
11-21-2003, 09:37 AM
It's a good choice, but very dramatic.
If you like it, I suggest you read the book- so wonderful and much better than the film.

Cookiebaker
11-21-2003, 10:17 AM
I really liked the movie. It was a bit weird, but sad.

How old is your daughter?? I think it's appropriate for mid-teenagers and up.

Logan
11-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Carole, I didn't see the movie. But I did read the book. Intense is a "light" word to describe it. I finished it, but it was a very, very tough read. I think I would find something a little more lighthearted in the movies to share with your daughter. She's 11 or 12, right?

lbaker
11-21-2003, 11:13 AM
I just finished the book last week, have not seen the movie. Logan is right - intense doesn't quite cover it. Sometimes movies change things (for better or worse)so I would not be the best judge for taking a daughter to the movie version.

carole
11-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Thank you all very much, I think its sounds a great movie, I am going to see it , but not with my daughter, she is too young I feel from what you have all said and the reviews, but I am intrigued to see it now, hi ho hi ho its off to the movies I go.:) :D

lbaker
11-22-2003, 01:30 AM
GOOD, give us (me) a review. I don't go to movies much but do rent them to watch at home sometimes - if I feel they are worth it :D