PDA

View Full Version : For you people that don't like hunters...

petlover
11-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Guess what's moving in next door to me.Yep, a WHOLE BUNCH of HUNTERS!!!!!:mad: Great just what we need. HUNTERS! And right next door to us to. We live in the city part. Why can't they go camp out where they are going to hunt? I don't understand. A bad part about it is that they are going to keep us up all night. They have about 3 coolers of beer out there, and are already so loud that I think dogs are fighting. Oh, and the worst part is, the dogs were barking at them. Since noone has been in that house by us for years. They all turn to the dogs and start yelling shut up! And I was standing right there!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: Is it right to tell someone else's dog to shut up? :confused:

Twisterdog
11-20-2003, 10:55 PM
The fact that these people are rude drunks has nothing to do with the fact that they hunt, sorry.

Lots of rude drunk people don't hunt.

Lots of hunters are polite and sober.

I have a problem with overgeneralization.

Shelteez2
11-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by petlover
Is it right to tell someone else's dog to shut up? :confused:

I think it is.
As the owner of a very barky dog I am somewhat sensitive to this subject. I know barking is very annoying and can be quite a nuisance. Therefore I don't leave Emily unattended anywhere. If she is out in the yard then I am nearby enough so that when I hear her barking she is called into the house immediately.
So if she were barking constantly and I wasn't there to stop her then I don't think it would be unreasonable for the neighbors to get angry at her noise and tell her to shut up.
However you did say you were standing there. Were you trying to get the dogs to be quiet?
I think that perhaps the best solution would be to just keep the dogs away from that side of the house if possible.

Karen
11-20-2003, 11:32 PM
As Twisterdog said. please don't stereotype these people, and just think all hunters are like them. I'm not saying even they are bad people. Get to know them first, go over with a parent, introduce yourselves, and your dogs - give them a chance!

I do talk to strange dogs, but I'd never yell at them! Often if I ask "Why are you barking?" the dog stops barking for a moment to stare at me! ;)

popcornbird
11-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Is it right to tell someone else's dog to shut up? :confused:

When they are being so noisy its annoying, yes. :o :o :o

I have a neighbor, who lives behind us. Their dog barks and barks and barks and BARKS all day, all night..........he drives us CRAZY! You don't know how much I feel like yelling at that dog when he wakes me up at 2am barking! :(:( I think people with dogs that bark too much need to be sensitive about their neighbor's feelings and take care of it. I'm NOT saying you don't take care of your dogs' barking. I'm saying my neighbor doesn't. All of our other neighbors with multiple dogs have never ever caused ANY problem. Just this one. We've even considered calling the police on them, but ended up deciding we didn't have the heart to do so. :o

Hunters aren't bad people. You can't make a generalization like that. There are bad people and good people in every *type* of people. Maybe you should get to know them........give them a chance before making a judgement. :) We have these neighbors that were *very* stingy with us when we just moved here. They had a problem.........we didn't like that. We don't like to have stingy feelings between those who live closest to us.........so my mom made some sweets, and my dad knocked on their door and gave it to them, saying we just wanted to get to know the neighbors, and it was a little gift from us. That's all it took. Now they're the nicest neighbors ever! Try to meet them........be nice to them. Some people judge others too quickly without thinking, but if you're nice to them.......you never know. It could have a positive effect on them too! :)

People so very often complain about their neighbors..........but thank God, we've never had a problem. I think its because we're nice to them, and often send them cakes, cookies, something like that. If you're nice to your neighbors, they'll be nice to you. Its a family policy of our's, to be nice to everyone who lives around us, no matter who they are. You never know.......sometimes, when you need someone the most, you should have good relations with your neighbors, because they're the ones who live closest to you, and can get help the fastest. :) Our old next door neighbors were the nicest people in the world. They were so nice.........they cried when we moved out of that neighborhood and came here. :( I still miss them.........but they do come to visit every now and then! Even though they aren't our neighbors any more, they are still always there for us. Be nice to your neighbors. Don't hate them right from the start!

sirrahved
11-21-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I have a problem with overgeneralization.

Ditto! My dad hunts... ALONE... and only for the short season of dear hunting. He provides our family with cheap food...

Tonya
11-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Working for the phone company, I come across alot of growling and/or barking dogs. If I cannot get them to become friendly within the first minute, I do not hesitate to tell them 'No' in a stern voice. It works almost everytime. It may offend people, but I don't want to wait for them to discipline their dog and wound up attacked.

On the same line, I went out to the dog kennel the other day to get the dogs. They hadn't seen me all day, so they were happily barking at me. A teen that lives behind me yelled "Shut the F#$! up!" I was very offended.

BTW, I don't have a problem with hunting as long as it isn't just for trophy. Our food has to come from somewhere. There's a food chain.

primabella
11-21-2003, 08:16 AM
When they are being so noisy its annoying, yes.
Not when the dog doesn't belong to you. :confused: That's just rude. You could at least ask the owner (if they are there) to get their dog to be quiet but you should never just start yelling "Shut up" at a dog, ANY dog. JMO. I don't know, I know I would feel insulted if someone just told my dog to shut up. I'm sorry that this dog bothers you but you should just speak with the owners or do your best to ignore them. We have a barky dog that lives in back of us who barks at night. How can you blame him? His owners leave him outside all the time. :rolleyes:

As for hunting, I don't mind it if people do it, it just bothers me when hunters aren't considerate of other people's feelings. The other day, my friend and I saw a dead deer tied to the roof of a car. He could have at least had the decency to cover it up or something. Seeing a dead animal like that made me sick to my stomach.

You shouldn't just automatically assume that someone is a bad person because they hunt.

G.P.girl
11-21-2003, 08:56 AM
well i don't agree with hunting when there's plenty of good meat just going to waste in the stores---but i won't get in to that now;) i tell our neighbor's dog to shut up sometimes, but i would NEVER do it if they were standing right there. even though that was rude i doubt it had anything to do with them being a hunter. but all the hunters i've known have been nice, but they don't really care about animals feelings. i'm not saying all hunters are like this, jjust the ones i've known.

popcornbird
11-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by primabella
Not when the dog doesn't belong to you. :confused: That's just rude. You could at least ask the owner (if they are there) to get their dog to be quiet but you should never just start yelling "Shut up" at a dog, ANY dog. JMO. I don't know, I know I would feel insulted if someone just told my dog to shut up. I'm sorry that this dog bothers you but you should just speak with the owners or do your best to ignore them. We have a barky dog that lives in back of us who barks at night. How can you blame him? His owners leave him outside all the time. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying its right........and I never have told a dog to shut up. I'm just saying it gets THAT frustrating sometimes! :o Actually.........I think I feel like telling wild kids to shut up more than I ever wanted to quiet a dog down. I never have though. I'm not that rude...........but some people are. :o We've talked to our neighbors many times. They're mean to that poor dog, have him outside ALL the time, rain or shine, hot or cold, winter or summer, that poor dog is outside ALL the time! We don't blame the dog *at all*. Definitely blame the owners. He's not loved. They don't deserve to have him. I can hear them yelling at him all the time. :(:(

2kitties
11-21-2003, 01:00 PM
And can you tell a dog to shut up? I mean, what do you say: "shut up dog"? I'm a cat person, so no expert, but if I told the cats to shut up, they wouldn't understand. They don't speak english.
;) :D :p

trayi52
11-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Well I have never told one to shutup, but I have told Buffy my chihuahua, to be quiet. She barks at everything, and you just can't take it to seriously when she barks, she might be barking at a bug. Now she thinks she is bad when we have company, though she hides until they start to walk out the door and then she comes running at them and barking with this " See I made them go away" attitude. Luckily I live in the country and no neighbors get bothered by her.
The hunting well I think its okay to hunt, as long as what you are hunting is going to be food, not as a trophy hanging on your wall.:)

Kfamr
11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Uhh.. Hello?!

A dog barks. A dog is going to bark. Just like a bird chirps or a cat meows. Should I tell a bird to shut up after their whistling and 'singing' got annoying? Or a cat to, when it meows?

Unless trained to "shut up" when told to, i'm pretty sure they have no clue what you're talking about.

As for hunters being evil -- NO WAY. Not *all* of them.

My neighbors are hunters and they are two of the sweetest people i've ever met. They do drink, they do have parties - but they for sure aren't rude or fall into your generalization.

Logan
11-21-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm getting off the "hunting" topic for a minute, but any barking dog can become annoying if it lasts too long. I have been known to say "Quiet" (if I ever said "shut up", it was under my breath, as I crawled out of bed for the 100th time :o ) to my own dogs or bring them inside because of excess barking, many, many times. I don't want ot hear someone else's dogs barking, so I make sure that no one can complain about mine! :)

Amber
11-21-2003, 07:44 PM
a couple of my uncles are hunters, and they are very very nice!!

As for the theshut up bit, I would have to agree with Kay.

petlover
11-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Well, I have never met a hunter around here that was nice. Never. I have talked to many hunters and introduced myself, and all that they said was " Good for you." I am not saying that all hunters are rude at all. Just these. I have nothing against what they do. Just how they party all night, get drunk, and go do stupid stuff. I am not saying that all hunters do that. The hunters around here do it every night. I do think that it was rude of them to yell at the dogs though. They were coming close to the fence and whistling at them, so what do you expect a dog to do? Go up and lick them on the face? It was like those guys didn't even think about the odds. I just mean that there is a hunter club right next door and they are going to get bit soon. They sort of stick their fingers through the fence and ram stuff into the fence just to make the dogs' barking ferious so that they can have a reason to tell them to shut up. I am not going to ask them to stop. I am in no mood to talk to a whole pack of drunks right now.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Having own an excessive barking dog, (Molly) I KNOW it really gets annoying. But, telling her to "shut up" isn't going to work, unless I tell her too. Sometimes even then, it doesn't. My neighboor has told her to shut up before, and told me to "put a muzzle on that thing" which I found incredibly rude. Their dog is a "barkaholic" too, and is the one who get's Molly started. Like I said, I know it can be annoying but other people yelling at her only makes it worse.

As for the hunting issue, I don't think they're all bad people.

Twisterdog
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Not when the dog doesn't belong to you. That's just rude. You could at least ask the owner (if they are there) to get their dog to be quiet but you should never just start yelling "Shut up" at a dog, ANY dog. JMO. I don't know, I know I would feel insulted if someone just told my dog to shut up.

You know, people, telling a dog to "Shut up." isn't the same thing as telling a child to "Shut up." A dog is not going to think, "Gee, that was rude. Why didn't she phrase that in a less offensive manner?" It's a dog. It doesn't speak English. It understands tone of voice. I board and groom thousands upon thousands of dogs every years. The vast majority of them know some version of, "Hush! Quiet! No bark!" and .. yes, many of them respond to, "Shut up!" It depends on what they hear at home. Almost every dog recognises the stern, sharp tone of voice associated with those commands.

If you are standing there, you should make your own dog be quiet. If you did, no one would have to tell your dog to be quiet for you. I can't even fathom standing by and listening to your dog barking and barking and barking at your neighbors (whether you like them or not is irrelevant) and not making your dog quit barking. THAT is the height of rudeness, IMO. That is one of your responsibilites as a pet owner, to make sure your pet is not offensive to other people. Dog owners that allow their dogs to bark and bark and bark while they are standing right there give ALL dog owners a bad name, and ALL dogs a bad reputation.

A dog barks. A dog is going to bark. Just like a bird chirps or a cat meows. Should I tell a bird to shut up after their whistling and 'singing' got annoying? Or a cat to, when it meows?

Well, a bird or a cat is most likely not going to be standing at the fence line, meowing or chirping in a very LOUD voice, for hours on end, the way some dogs do. Dogs can also be trained not to bark repetitively, or to bark for recreation. Part of being a responsible dog owner is training your dog not to be a nuisance.

popcornbird
11-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Uhh.. Hello?!

How often do you hear of neighbors complaining of a bird's whistle or a cat's meow? Almost never. Birds are indoor pets...........almost no one ever leaves them in the yard. Even if they are loud, its in their own walls. They aren't disturbing anyone. Most people find the songs of birds to be beautiful and enjoy their singing anyway. Of course it depends of the species too. Some parrots have a horrible shriek voice. :o Either way, cats and birds don't disturb neighbors. Dogs however...........some of them do. We have about 10+ dogs in the homes of neighbors that are very close to our home. Most of them are responsible owners, and we've never even heard their dogs. This one dog though, is the most annoying thing on the planet. Are you telling me that if you're sleeping at 2am, and the dog next door keeps howling and barking at the top of his lungs for hours straight.......you wouldn't be upset? That's what this dog does to us. I *hate* his barking.......I despise his voice, and many times I wish he weren't in our neighborhood. I love our other neighbors' dogs.......they're the most well behaved things. This one though....I despise him and his owners, no offense. Honestly, if my birds started singing at 2am, I would tell them to shut up too. :p My birds understand *shhhh*, and immediately quiet down when I tell them that. I find no reason why a dog wouldn't be able to know the same. Animals are intelligent and dogs and parrots are both known to learn basic commands very well. My neighbors' dogs quiet down when they tell them to. They DO understand. If they don't know the word, they know the tone.

G.P.girl
11-22-2003, 10:34 AM
i'm sure dogs can understand shhhh if they have been trained to be quiet, but i seriously doubt that they will accosiate some stranger yelling shut up in thier faces with shhhh.

Kfamr
11-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Birds shreik way too much around here, especially pet ones that live down the street. Cats may not meow alot, but a dog's bark is the same as a cats meow and a bird's chirp, "sing".

LMFAOFFALMP Whatever you guys say. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Still, having some stranger tell a dog to shut up probably won't work. If some person came up to our fence telling our dogs to shut up, they'd just bark more. Protecting their territory. Of course, I'd be out there calming them down. that's why you should talk to the owner, not the dog, because the owners understand English, not dogs. ( Like TD said)

My neighbors that moved in across the street at the begining of this year, never knew we had dogs until I brought them over to meet.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Birds shreik way too much around here, especially pet ones that live down the street. Cats may not meow alot, but a dog's bark is the same as a cats meow and a bird's chirp, "sing".

Still, having some stranger tell a dog to shut up probably won't work. If some person came up to our fence telling our dogs to shut up, they'd just bark more. Protecting their territory. Of course, I'd be out there calming them down. that's why you should talk to the owner, not the dog, because the owners understand English, not dogs. ( Like TD said)

Yep, Piper's REALLY LOUD. He wakes me up every night chirping and squawking at who know's what. :o
Yep, My dogs would just bark more. Molly ususally just does it to protect her territory, but she also isn't fond of some of our neighboors...

mahayana
11-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Of course, a lot of hunters have dogs; pointers, beagles, huntin' dogs.

Some really are dog people, some are gun-owning crazies.

I like the American Indian hunter, asking permission of the animal's spirit before taking its life.

Twisterdog
11-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
I like the American Indian hunter, asking permission of the animal's spirit before taking its life.

And what if the animal's spirit said, "No!"? ;)

mahayana
11-22-2003, 07:13 PM
You are right, even feeling a spiritual connection to an animal doesn't make it pleasant for the deer to feel the arrow pierce its skin. Guess I was just idealizing being connected to nature, rather than bagging your limit.

I know a man who had herds of deer trampling through his homestead, destroying his garden. He finally got a rifle and license in self-defense. And there are arguments about managing wild populations, for the good of the most animals.

I don't dislike hunters. But when they are shooting on three sides of my property I wear a red hat, hah!

babolaypo65
11-22-2003, 09:30 PM
The dog across from me is a barker. I've gotten to know him, I know his name. Now, when I arrive home, or a friend comes over, I just say, that's enough Teddy, and he stops.
Fergie next door, goes MENTAL with excitement each time I go in to my back yard. With Fergie I just say shhh fergie. And she (usually) calms down.

I doubt either Fergie's dad, or Teddy's mom and dad mind. I've also told Teddy's mom and dad on more than one occassion that it's nice to have such a good GSD guard dog in the neighborhood.

In each case, I've gotten to know the dog a bit, know his/her name.... and am often able to calm them when they are agitated.
Yes, dogs bark. But sometimes they bark too much. Why is trying to calm them bad?

Short answer. I don't think it's categorically wrong to try to get a neighbor's dog to stop barking. IF you are truly just annoyed by the dog. If you're mad at the owners, don't take it out on the dog.

Cataholic
11-24-2003, 10:18 AM
A dog barking is the same as a cat meowing? Good Grief, Charlie Brown....whatever are you talking about? Other than the decibal difference, the duration, and frequency, uh, maybe? Sheesh, Louise, Sheesh. They couldn't be anymore the same than a live band vs. a clock radio. Get a grip on some sort of reality, please.

As to hunters? I have major problems with 'them'. The difference between the meat packing industry and 'hunting'? The meat packers aren't getting off on the 'sport' of it.

ParNone
11-24-2003, 11:22 AM
popcornbird writes:

Either way, cats and birds don't disturb neighbors.
Hi popcornbird,

I have to disagree with this statement. I've not had any
sleepless nights in my neighborhood due to dogs, but have
had, due to the shrieking birds of the neighbors behind me. I
think they must birdsit for some friends, thank god, because it
only happens ever so often. The noise is so piercing there's
no sleeping through it and unlike dogs, the birds being inside,
isn't enough to buffer the sound from traveling through my
walls.

And as to cats, I had a pair having a cat fight on my car one
night and not only was it loud enough to wake the dead, but
it scratched the hood of my car all up. That was way more
irritating to me then any dog barking. I also have them coming
into my backyard, teasing Murph and Maddie, pooping in
my flowerbeds and drinking from the dogs waterbowls. This also
is extremely irritating. Not only do they set M&M off, but I've
no idea what type of disease or parasite they might be bringing
into my backyard. So as far as I'm concerned the birds and the
cats have been waaaaayyyyyy more disturbing to me than any
dog in the neighborhood.

Par...

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah Par..

The neighbors cats use to ALWAYS walk on my mother's nice Camaro, leaving footprints and scratches AALLLLLL over it.

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Get a grip on some sort of reality, please.

Sheesh Louise, I have a grip of reality, THNX.

tikeyas_mom
11-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Karen
As Twisterdog said. please don't stereotype these people, and just think all hunters are like them. I'm not saying even they are bad people. Get to know them first, go over with a parent, introduce yourselves, and your dogs - give them a chance!

I do talk to strange dogs, but I'd never yell at them! Often if I ask "Why are you barking?" the dog stops barking for a moment to stare at me! ;)

I totally agree with you karen!!!

My dad hunts, I think it is better to know what you are eating then to buy some ground beef fromt he store IMO. But whatever I will stick to my moose and deer meet. I dont like the fact that you label all hunters. :(

Of course, a lot of hunters have dogs; pointers, beagles, huntin' dogs. lol my dad has oscar!!! lmao

popcornbird
11-24-2003, 12:53 PM
That's why I said...........it depends on the species of birds. The more common species (parakeets, cockatiels, etc.) are much too *low-toned* for their voices to go through the walls. I find it funny that I live in a neighborhood with houses close together, and almost every other house has some kind of bird, yet I have NEVER heard a single one of them. Maybe a very *faint* chirping when our windows are open in the summer, but otherwise.........NEVER.

As for dogs not being heard when *in the house*, I'm sorry, but I disagree with that completely. We can very well hear our neighbors' dogs barking when they are in the house. Its just not loud enough to complain about or worry about.

And comparing a cat with a dog voice-wise is just ridiculous. Cat's barely have a voice........their meow is sooooooo soft and quiet. Parrots....yes, they can be noisy depending on the species. My birds are considerably quiet though they have their noisy times.........it doesn't last more than 10 minutes before they quiet down again. My friend's conure on the other hand can talk continuously for hours straight, and it DOES get annoying, but he isn't heard outside his walls. Some people get offended too fast. Just because people get annoyed by the barking of a dog, doesn't mean they dislike them or anything like that. :rolleyes: I have NOTHING against my neighbor's dog. If I did, I would've done something about it. After having many talks with the neighbors throughout the years and having no positive result, I can say we have the right to call on them as well........but honestly, we aren't such people and don't have the heart to do that, so we've decided to *put up* with it. Complaints about dog barking is VERY common, and its actually one of the *rules* of our neighborhood, that constantly barking dogs should be reported. Complaints about birds are rare. You need a whole flock of noisy parrots to start getting complaints from neighbors........however one dog is enough to cause a rattle on the entire street. Now I DON'T dislike dogs AT ALL, and I'm NOT saying that! I'm just sick of this dog's loud barks and howls. He kept me awake since 2am last night and I'm not happy about that. Of course its the owner's fault, but sheesh.........why do you folks have to go about supporting every dog out there? I'm not saying birds don't disturb neighbors.......just saying its no where as common as dogs,.......and that is a FACT........deny it all you want.....it will still remain a fact....... People with loud dogs have the responsibility to be considerate and care about their neighbors' feelings. When you have neighbor's, you have to care about them. We care about our neighbors' feelings and would never do anything to disturb them. I feel we deserve the same respect in return.

*end of rant*

2kitties
11-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Still borrowing my brain, cat?

i've really missed having the other half of my brain around!

Cataholic
11-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Still borrowing my brain, cat?

I figure some people around here prolly think we only have a half of one anyhow, so, why not?

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmm.. What's an oxymoron, Cat?

trayi52
11-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Popcorn, you should hear Charlie Sweet, he can sound just like a dog whining, and a phone dialing. Sometimes I think my dogs are wanting into the living room, and find out it is Charlie wanting me to let the dog in. By the way Charlie owns his own chihuahua. Its name is Gaucho, when Charlie is loose, he follows that dog everywhere, and crys into his ear, or sings to him. If you pick that dog up, you are doomed, Charlie will attack.
Sorry, I guess I got off the subject there.:)

Cataholic
11-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Charlie Sweet, he can sound just like a dog whining, and a phone dialing.

I need to hear that! I am laughing just imagining it....

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 01:20 PM
If you told my dog to "shut up" i'd get offended. As twisterdog said, dogs can't understand English -- But, I can. So, it would be the same if you told my kid to shut up.

popcornbird
11-24-2003, 01:23 PM
If you told my dog to "shut up" i'd get offended. As twisterdog said, dogs can't understand English -- But, I can. So, it would be the same if you told my kid to shut up.

I've never told a dog to shut up. :rolleyes: I just said there have been times I FELT like doing that. I never DID do that though, and I don't think I would. :rolleyes:

Tray, Charlie Sweet sounds SO adorable! My friend's conure learned to bark from his neighbor's dog.......and when you tell him *bark*....he goes *woof woof*. TOO cute! Popcorn and Muffin talk back and forth to the neighbor's dogs, but in bird language. :p

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I've never told a dog to shut up. :rolleyes: I just said there have been times I FELT like doing that. I never DID do that though, and I don't think I would. :rolleyes:

Ok, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
back at ya sweetpea!

I don't find a dog's bark annoying at all. Neither do I really find a cat's meow or a bird's "sing" annoying, but it can be and if a dog does barks too much , then you should speak to the owner.

popcornbird
11-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
back at ya sweetpea!

I don't find a dog's bark annoying at all. Neither do I really find a cat's meow or a bird's "sing" annoying, but it can be and if a dog does barks too much , then you should speak to the owner.

*Bangs head against the wall*

How many times do I have to say.......WE DID!!!!!!!!! It doesn't work. :rolleyes: We've about given up. *sigh* SOMEONE doesn't read my posts properly, or perhaps doesn't choose to comprehend them.

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 01:49 PM
*Bangs head against the wall*

How many times do I have to say.......WE DID!!!!!!!!! It doesn't work. :rolleyes: We've about given up. *sigh* SOMEONE doesn't read my posts properly, or perhaps doesn't choose to comprehend them.

Or perhaps I didn't read one or two. No need to be snobby about it, it's a misunderstanding. :mad: Thanks for making my day!

SOMEONE. :rolleyes:

Rio and Me
11-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I can sometimes find that a dog that barks to much for no reason, is trying to say something (not literally,lol), around here (my house) unless someone is at the door or they think somone that is walking by is a threat theyll bark, rarly a dog barks non stop, unless its stuck outside for a long time etc!
but i would find it annoying if something easy can be done about it (love, attention) but as some PT's know their dogs just like to bark!
I fox hunt on my horse each season around the moor with the local hunt,
Am i a bad person?
I know that here (i dont know if its the same in your country) thats foxs are a terrible pest to farmers, (i wont get into it) so we go out in season and pick of the weak ones! it keeps the population down, and helps farmers with their livstock etc!
Ky and Rio

popcornbird
11-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Or perhaps I didn't read one or two. No need to be snobby about it, it's a misunderstanding. :mad: Thanks for making my day!

SOMEONE. :rolleyes:

What a coincidence it must be then, that SOMEONE has a *misunderstanding* with each and EVERY ONE of my posts..........

harpmom
11-24-2003, 06:44 PM
My next door neighbors are among the nicest and most generous people you'll ever want to meet. He also hunts: mostly quail and deer. They were planning a quail hunt this past Saturday morning and their dogs must have known about it because Lexie, the 10-year-old Brittany, barked all night! She's deaf as a stone so asking her to "Be quiet!" is not at all effective. Fortunately, she is not particularly loud (actually hubby's snoring was more annoying) so I was able to roll over and ignore it. Shutting the window and putting on a fan also helped.

What I find more difficult to deal with is the Labs on the other side of us wrestling on their deck at 5:00 a.m.!

Kfamr
11-24-2003, 08:02 PM
What a coincidence it must be then, that SOMEONE has a *misunderstanding* with each and EVERY ONE of my posts..........

Oh dear... will you just hush. :mad::(

Twisterdog
11-25-2003, 12:04 AM

I would like to avoid a misquote, if I can at this late date. When I said dogs can't understand English ... I was using that to back up my argument that it is perfectly ok to tell a dog to shut up.

My main point was this: it is the dog owner's responsiblity to keep their dog quiet, to keep their dog from being a nuisance. If the dog owner is doing his/her job, training and controlling the dog, then no one else will ever feel the need to tell the dog to "Shut Up!" or anything else.

If the dog owner is in the house, watching Oprah, and the dog is running up and down the fence, barking at the neighbors in their own yard ... then, IMO, those neighbors have every right to tell the dog to "Shut up!", to tell the dog's owners to keep it quiet, and to report him/her to animal control if it continues. Even worse ... if the dog owner is standing outside while the dog is barking, barking, barking!

Same thing with my kid, frankly. If my child is being overly loud and unruly, I need to control him and make him be quiet. If I am not doing my job, then I think the person in the booth behind me in a restaurant, at the next table in a library or the pew ahead of me in church has every right to turn to my child and say, "Shhhhh!" and/or to turn to me and say, "Could you please keep him quieter, I'm having trouble hearing." No, they shouldn't say, "Shut up!" because my child understands English ... my dogs don't. Therein is the difference I was trying to point out. But either way ... it is the dog owners/parents responsibility to handle the situation BEFORE anyone NEEDS to say anything. Just MHO.

CathyBogart
11-25-2003, 01:10 AM
*Giggles* Those are cute!!

aly
11-25-2003, 02:05 AM
*faints* This thread is ......... interesting :eek:

Where to begin? I think I'll not comment on the whole hunting thing .. blech.

PCB, I'm not picking on you so please don't get upset. But this really bothers me:

I *hate* his barking.......I despise his voice, and many times I wish he weren't in our neighborhood. I love our other neighbors' dogs.......they're the most well behaved things. This one though....I despise him and his owners, no offense.

Please don't despise the dog. It is not his fault that his owners don't give him proper love, attention, and care :( The poor thing is probably bored out of his mind. I understand why you're annoyed, but just don't take it out on the dog.

trayi52
11-25-2003, 02:09 AM
WolfChan, I posted in the wrong forum, must be losing my mind. I meant to put it in another one, and well you see what I done. LOL. I think I will wear these dark glasses for awhile so I will not be recognized. :cool: :confused: Maybe I will be mistaken for a cool person?
:)

popcornbird
11-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by aly

Please don't despise the dog. It is not his fault that his owners don't give him proper love, attention, and care :( The poor thing is probably bored out of his mind. I understand why you're annoyed, but just don't take it out on the dog.

Oh I know Aly. I feel so sorry for him. He just seems to be so neglected and bored out of his mind. I would never take anything out at the dog. I am annoyed by his late night barking, but its his owner's fault. The other dogs in our neighborhood are loved and have never bothered anyone. This one just doesn't have enough love, care, or attention. :(

ramanth
11-25-2003, 02:29 PM
For the record, I don't have a problem with responsible hunters. My dad is one. I've even gone out with him on occassion. My mother "hunts" too. She goes out but has never got anything.

We hunt because we enjoy venision and to help keep the deer population down since there are no natural predators in this area.

CathyBogart
11-25-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm not going to say that I hate hunters. My friend runs an awesome program where he helps people who have gotten a dog that's too energetic for their household. He will train the dogs and take them out hunting once or twice a month. He is a very responsible person and it shows. The dogs are always in top physical shape and very happy. I've heard more than one person say that they were able to keep their dogs because of him!

Desert Arabian
12-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Well, I have never met a hunter around here that was nice. Never. I have talked to many hunters and introduced myself, and all that they said was " Good for you." I am not saying that all hunters are rude at all. Just these. I have nothing against what they do. Just how they party all night, get drunk, and go do stupid stuff. I am not saying that all hunters do that. The hunters around here do it every night.

Well, that is because they are unethical hunters. Ethical hunters do not get drunk and party, then go into the woods and handle a firearm. That is one of the 1000 rules we pound into the students heads at hunter safety classes. If they were ethical hunters they would not be drinking so they can insure they are safe in the woods (unless a totally unrelated accident happens).

As to hunters? I have major problems with 'them'. The difference between the meat packing industry and 'hunting'? The meat packers aren't getting off on the 'sport' of it.

So, are you are basically saying that all hunters are like that!? :confused: If you are (and you may not be), I am greatly offended...I do not hunt for the sport, neither do the other (125+)people I have hunted with/currently hunt with.

There are three groups of hunters: ethical, unethical, and sport. Ethical hunters are the safe hunters who do not drink, do not shoot out of season, do not shoot over the limit, follow all laws and regulations, hunt for the meat, etc. Ethical hunters also practice for hours at a shooting range, insuring that the animal they harvest will be shot so it won't suffer and endure pain. Unethical hunters, are basically poachers in some ways, who drink before handling a firearm, are not safe out in the woods, do not follow laws, hunt over the limit, etc. Unethical hunters do not care where they hit their animal, and could care less about the slow death and pain the animal is going through. Sport hunters are the ones who go for the big trophy game- WHICH I DO NOT SUPPORT OR BELIEVE IN...may I add. There is a small percentage of sport hunters, and they really aren't true hunters in my eyes. The idea of killing animals confined in a pen, waiting for the supplement fed 30 point buck is not truly hunting. 95% of the hunters kill for the meat, not for the sport. If game farms could be outlawed, I am all for it- AND I AM A HUNTER!

I do not get off on the "sport' of hunting. I get off on hanging out with my hunting buddies, who many of which I do not see other times during the year- due to work, school, etc. I also get off on the fact that I am HELPING the animal population by removing problem animals such as raccoons- which are killing off duck, goose, and other wild bird populations. Also by killing the sick animals (mainly deer), so ensure that the ones that survive are not sick and diseased. I also get off on being out in the woods, I could care less if I do or do not get an animal, it is a joy to just walk around listening to the birds and watching the squirrels.

Also, who do you suppose are the biggest and main supporters of wildlife conservation groups such as Ducks Unlimited, White Tails Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, etc!?! HUNTERS! It is because of hunters that these groups are here, in a good way. Theses groups are here to insure the survival of the species and protect their habitats from development and other factors that kill off their habitat.

Hunters also generate BILLIONS of dollars each year for the economy. Hunting equipment is not cheap!! $20-40,000 for a pick-up truck, $200-2,000 for guns, $30-60/ case of ammunition, $100-900 grocery bills, heck one pair of camo pants can run you $90, a jacket can run you $700, and there is much much more that hunters spend their money on.

(As for the meat packing industry, I rather see the animal running wild before it is killed, rather than cramped in a slaughter house getting a rod shot into its head (many times not dying on the first hit) and processed while it is still conscious- after all, that IS what happens in a meat house. At least with (ethnical) hunting the animal has more chances of getting away, they are wild and free, and they are killed correctly 99% of the time, and are not cut open and processed while they are still alive.)

Here are some links to the conservation groups I mentioned above. I thought I should post them, in case any one wanted to learn more about them and how hunters greatly impact the animal world:

Ducks Unlimited (http://www.ducks.org/) My dad and I are members of this group. DU deals with all types of wildlife, not just waterfowl/ducks.
Whitetails Unlimited (http://www.whitetailsunlimited.org/)
National Wild Turkey Federation (http://www.nwtf.org/)
Rocky Mountain Elf Foundation (http://www.rmef.org/)

trayi52
12-09-2003, 09:12 PM
YellowLabLover,
You are soooo right, I cannot stand to see somebody shoot a deer, just to get its head. That sickens me, I really like the way you used the word harvest, true.

I seen something the other day that just turned my stomack, we were driving down a back road, and there by the side of the road was a box somebody had put a deer in, all they wanted was the antlers(is that right?), it looked like they just dug it out of the top of its head and then threw the rest out. That is what really bothers me about hunting, seeing such waste. There are hungry people everywhere that would love to have had the meat they threw away. What a waste!

Tray

Desert Arabian
12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
YellowLabLover,
You are soooo right, I cannot stand to see somebody shoot a deer, just to get its head. That sickens me, I really like the way you used the word harvest, true.

I seen something the other day that just turned my stomack, we were driving down a back road, and there by the side of the road was a box somebody had put a deer in, all they wanted was the antlers(is that right?), it looked like they just dug it out of the top of its head and then threw the rest out. That is what really bothers me about hunting, seeing such waste. There are hungry people everywhere that would love to have had the meat they threw away. What a waste!

Tray

Yeah, that is sad and sick. My dad and I, (and our hunting friends) would never do that. I remember when my dad hit a deer, he felt really bad, and he wanted to salvage as much as possible so he wouldn't waist it, but the deer was to banged up. :( He felt pretty bad about that for a while. Luckily, he hasn't hit any more deer!

This past deer season, we had a group of about 18 people hunting together, and we all agreed that if we got a lot of deer, we could take our portions then donate the rest to a food pantry. BUT- we only got one deer. Maybe next year we can give more. :)

Yep, they are called antlers, not horns. The difference between the two: antlers are shed every year and new ones grow back, and horns are permanent and don't fall off the animals head.

Twisterdog
12-09-2003, 11:40 PM
YLL ... Excellent posts, I agree completely.

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 11:54 PM
YellowLabLover,

Tray

my dad will hunt and we eat the meet, my dad keeps the antlers (spelling?:o) and the dogs all get a leg each to chew :barf:. I dont mind moose steak but dear grooses me out. YUK.. My dad has only ekpt one deer head and it coast alot of money to get it stuffed, I hate it, it is freaky.. :eek:

trayi52
12-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Well Jynelle(sp?), As long as he is as she said harvesting the meat, I see nothing wrong with that. My husband killed a deer one time, he was so proud of it he hung its head in my living room, ewwwweee, I hated that. He loves deer meat, me I really don't like it that much, I do like it if you make jerky out of it, it really is good that way.

But getting back to the head, I hated that head and he hung it in my living room, staring at me all the time, I had decorated it the way I wanted, and he hangs its head in there, I kept moving it around, around to all kinds of different spots, hehehe, I finally put it in a place in the living room that was very high, and it sort of looked like a different room except with a latter that went up to it. Get the picture? Probably not, difficult to discribe this room my husband built there so long ago. I would always think Bambi, when I would look at it.

No, I am not against hunting at all, I just hate to see them wasted and used just for the trophy, when there is food some hungry family could use. The responsible hunters are like the one described as not going into the woods with a snoot full.

Tray

Corinna
12-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Yellowlablover, AMEN!!!!!!
As the wife of a hunters ed instrctor I couldn't have said it better, also having hubby being a taxidermist unfortuantly we do see trophy hunters,but we try to make a good out of a bad thing . We try to get them to leave us the meat and we have a list of low income folks who need the meat. Usually they do .

tikeyas_mom
12-10-2003, 12:48 AM
this is a very interesting post.. humm..

trayi52
12-10-2003, 01:02 AM
I know Jynnelle, I confuse a lot of people, I even confuse myself sometimes.;)

MY husbands doctor says he knows why my husband has nerve problems. I said " who me", Whoops there I go again.

Tray:)

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I think hunters are fine, as long as they obey the law and use the animal wisely. People tend to think that it's wrong to shoot deer, without realizing just HOW many deer there really are. In my opinion, that's just cutting down on the number of deers that will get hit by cars anyways (When my aunt was young, the person who was driving her hit a deer. The poor thing was lying there dieing and they called the authorities but it was illegal to shoot it. He had a rifle in the back, but he wasn't allowed to shoot it! So they had to watch the poor thing die -- how sad!).

I'm never going to go hunting myself. It would be interesting, but once I get a deer, I wouldn't want to look at it, or touch it, or anything. I'd have to pay someone else to do everything for me. So I'll just buy from the store. There's a great fresh dog food place in Vernon that sells deer meat. That's where I'll be going for the pooches.

trayi52
12-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Jordan, that is the way I feel, I really don't think, as a matter of fact I just could not kill a deer at all. That is something that has always been hard for me, I just can't bring myself to take a life. I have a hard time stepping on bugs. LOL.

I know I think what you said about the deer being hit by a car, I think the state of TN is about the same way. It is not right, but some of the laws here are just rediculus.

Somebody brought us a deer one night, they shot it and didn't want to clean it, so they took the head as a trophy and gave us the meat. My husband loves deer meat, which I am not that crazy about it, though I do like to make Jerky out of it.

Tray

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 03:18 PM

I do like to make Jerky out of it.

MMMM JERKY lol. My dad's friend went hunting and brought us some deer sausages and bear jerky lol.

Desert Arabian
12-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
MMMM JERKY lol. My dad's friend went hunting and brought us some deer sausages and bear jerky lol.

Bear, Elk, and Bison jerky is the best jerky on the planet!!! Especially the way my dad's friend makes it!!

Desert Arabian
12-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
When my aunt was young, the person who was driving her hit a deer. The poor thing was lying there dieing and they called the authorities but it was illegal to shoot it. He had a rifle in the back, but he wasn't allowed to shoot it! So they had to watch the poor thing die -- how sad!

I agree. I have a bad childhood memory dealing with a deer getting hit by a car. To make a long story short: I was looking the rear-view mirror, and noticed a deer try to JUMP over the car. The deer hit its back legs on the car. The car kept on going. I told my dad, we turned around. The deer dragged itself using only its front legs about 250 yards into the woods. The person who hit it didn't realize what happened at first, that's why they kept on driving. They eventually came back, and we called the cops. We had to watch this deer slowly stinking in a marsh waiting for the police officer to come and kill it. When the cop got there, he didn't want to kill the deer, because he would get his shoes dirty!! That is what he said, not kidding. So my dad walked into the swamp and put the deer out of its misery. Poor deer. I felt horrible!

However, I do think it is kind of a good idea that peoples other than the authorities cannot kill deer. In a situation like that, your adrenaline is on full speed, and you can do some pretty stupid stuff, because you really aren't looking at the full picture and can't think clearly. That is a mad mix: high adrenaline and a gun. Cops are trained to use guns in high adrenaline situations and have better control of guns and better judgment than the average person. So, in away it is a good law, because it prevents other accidents from happening. That is unless you get a moron cop like the one who came to our scene.

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Aww poor deer. :( Here you can only shoot the deer if you drag it so many km into the forest or whatnot. Plus, I'm not sure, but I believe it has to be a certain time of year.

trayi52
12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
I just have to get off the subject here, but Jordan, I love your new sig, it is so colorful.

willie