PDA

View Full Version : Frisco has UTI

wolfsoul
11-20-2003, 12:50 PM
AHHHH Another urinary tract infection. :( Poor baby must have had terrible breeding; he's always sick!!! :(

I'm going to the drug store after school to buy some baytril and then I'm going to Wal Mart to buy some cranberry juice (and take a little trip down the pet aisle hehe). I've decided that every day Frisco is going to get his gential/stomach area washed off with a warm cloth (And I mean EVERYDAY, not just when he has an infection :eek: ). I've been massaging his tummy and lower back, and I'm keeping his cage EXTRA clean, so I REALLY hope that this never happens again. His immunity is low and he has lice. I can hear a respiratory infection starting. My poor baby.

I hate to say it, but I don't think he's going to last too far past his second birthday. :( I can never seem to get him healthy. I don't think I'll ever buy a rat from a petstore again (It's just so much cheaper lol :o ).

On a good note, Icarus is perfectly fine. He's never sick. I imagine his parents must have been healthy since most of the things rats suffer from seem to be genetic. His mother was apparently a roof rat;; are they much healthier? I don;t think they've suffered from over breeding like fancy rats gave.

Oooh, and something I read about cranberry juice yesterday -- They actually have no idea if it does any good! They say they think it might make the urine acidic which could help, but that it most just keeps the body hydrated and that is most important when you have UTI. Frisco doesn't drink alot of water, but he likes juice better so I'm hoping he'll drink some of it. I doubt he'll drink enough to get an effect,. but maybe if I give him some everyday...

Does anyone know a way I can make him extra comfortable? He hasn't been moving around as much but it's clear he wants out of his cage, so I've mainly been letting him sit on my shoulder or in my lap. Of course that's how he ruined a good white shirt...but oh well lol.

Sorry for the long post. Had to get all my sadness and information out lol.

tikeyas_mom
11-20-2003, 01:59 PM
omg :(:(:(:(...

I love frisco he is soo smart!! he knows lotsa tricks and stuff!! mehh he cant have UTI... :(:(.. poor guy. How can you tell he has it ?? is he bleeding??? poor baby!!! I didnt know you could buy baytril at the local drug store?? how much is it?? ":confused:".....

I will be thinking of him.. poor thing...

I guess my rats must have come from good breeders because they are hardly ever sick. I guess me and you got lucky with icarus , merry, and pippin... poor frisco :(:(...

wolfsoul
11-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks. :) Yes, he is my smart boy. Icarus is...well...less than smart lol. Icarus is doing the "round" trick very well now though. He's getting better. But Frisco was my very first ratty boy and I trained him so hard..:(

I'm not sure if it is at the drug store actually. When you got baytril for your ratty's toe, did you get it from the vet? I was going to go to London Drugs and see if they have it. I hope it's not a prescription drug...

He has blood in his urine. It has never been this bad though. Yesterday the urine was a darker red and cloudy. He also doesn't want to run around as much, but it's not really stopping him lol. He's still a hyper little brat.

tikeyas_mom
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Well.... I got baytril from the vet I think it is a prescription drug.
I am trying to teach merry how to go around BUT he always grabs the food way to fast lol. hahaha the other day merry learned to jump from his cage to my sholder, and pippin tryed to copy BUT he missed and fell onto my bed lol now he is scared to try again lol. silly boy ;)

Originally posted by wolfsoul
Thanks. :) Yes, he is my smart boy. Icarus is...well...less than smart lol. Icarus is doing the "round" trick very well now though. He's getting better. But Frisco was my very first ratty boy and I trained him so hard..:(

I'm not sure if it is at the drug store actually. When you got baytril for your ratty's toe, did you get it from the vet? I was going to go to London Drugs and see if they have it. I hope it's not a prescription drug...

He has blood in his urine. It has never been this bad though. Yesterday the urine was a darker red and cloudy. He also doesn't want to run around as much, but it's not really stopping him lol. He's still a hyper little brat.

wolfsoul
11-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
Well.... I got baytril from the vet I think it is a prescription drug.
I am trying to teach merry how to go around BUT he always grabs the food way to fast lol. hahaha the other day merry learned to jump from his cage to my sholder, and pippin tryed to copy BUT he missed and fell onto my bed lol now he is scared to try again lol. silly boy ;)
Oooh I'll call the drug store first and see. Does anyone know any other antibiotic I can use for UTI? It HAS to be an antibiotic because this is a bacterial infection.
Silly Pippin lol. My rats always leap for me, especially Icarus. He's a really good jumper; I've seen him jump atleast a metre high. :)

tatsxxx11
11-20-2003, 03:56 PM
In the U.S., there are no oral antibiotics sold over the counter, without a Rx. Any chance you get get one from your vet/have him examined? As for the cranberry juice question. It does have some bacteriostatic properties; that is, drinking it has been found to PREVENT UTI's but it does nothing to TREAT an active infection (won't kill the bacteria) other than helping to flush the urinary tract, the same as drinking any other fluid would. If you can't get him to the vet, I would definitely try and encourage him to take in as much fluids as you can get him to drink. I'm so sorry that Frisco's had such difficulties. I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

tikeyas_mom
11-20-2003, 03:57 PM
I am not really sure of any other med you can use for UTI. I am sure a vet could pescribe somthing for Frisco, BUT it will be pricy. I know my vet here in Westbank charged like 50$ just for a visit. :eek:.... It is a rip off IMO...... I think it would be cool if the pharmacy sold baytril, I would buy some and give it to me hamster, Spur, he is so old and He has alot of problems. Gtg to last block, cya..

tatsxxx11
11-20-2003, 04:03 PM
It's really not a good idea for humans or the pets of humans to treat themselves with an antibiotic not prescribed by a dr. Antibiotics are very condition specific, i.e. certain ones are only effective in treating certain conditions, and should also be taken with care, i.e. the correct dosage, length of treatement etc. The most common mistake people make in taking prescribed antibiotics, is discontinuing them once the person/animals begins to feel well, but before the bacteria has been fully treated/killed.

sweet_stormy
11-20-2003, 04:07 PM
wolfsoul--- if you buy ur kitty the Dad's Urinary Tract cat food (its a yellow box/bag) that will help prevent the infections. Smokey had a urinary infection once and the doctor told us to get that food for him. He eats it along with my female kitty and my female kitten. it doesnt hurt them. they love it. its like their most favorite food in the whole world. lol.

luckies4me
11-20-2003, 08:06 PM
You should have him seen by the vet. It could be that you are just feeding him too much protein which discolors the urine and can make it cloudy and stinky. If it is a UTI most likely they will prescribe Trimethoprim Sulfa to treat it, or just give Baytril if he has started showing signs of a URI. It's best to treat both asap, especially the URI to avoid it turning into pneumonia.

Baytril is a prescription drug, but it can also be purchased from Pigeon supply stores, which is where I get mine. Amoxicillan, Penicillan can also be purchased at Feed Stores just to let you know tatsxxx1 ;).

I dose my own Baytril because I have had years of experience doing so, and the help of my vet. There is no reason for me to bring in a rat each time if I am competent and knowledgable to do it myself, but not everyone is.

Baytril has very specific dosing needs, and the rat needs to be weighed before starting meds. I have my own scale here, but you would need to take him to the vet. You can easily kill a rat if you do not know how to dose, weigh, and how long to give a medication. I keep a supply here in my Rattery, along with Tylan, TS, Clavamox and other creams, ointments etc.

So my point is, you should really take him to the vet to get his/her opinion and to discuss treament.

Have you treated his lice yet?

wolfsoul
11-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Unfortunatly I don't have a job, which means no money. :( I have a bank account, but it is not in my name so I can't access it. My mom won't give me any money.

I called all of the pharmacies and none will administer over-the-counter anitbiotics.

I know I'm not feeding him too much protien. The last time I talked to a vet, he accused me of feeding too little. :o

I've been treating his lice, yes.

Does anyone know how much a urine testing costs? My mom took in Frisco's urine one time but she can't remember how much it costed, plus she got it for cheap... I have some money, just not enough for a full checkup. The vet let me pay very very cheap last time and I don't want to take advantage of him again.

I've been giving him cranberry juice. He likes it. I gave some to Icarus and he isn't happy with it, but eats it.