PDA

View Full Version : What are you suppose to do?

Edwina's Secretary
12-03-2001, 01:54 PM
Last night I was fixing supper :eek: when I noticed traffic backed up on the very busy street where we live. I went to call up to my husband who was in his office (I thought) to see if he could see what was happening. The front door was open. So I looked out and saw something being carried out of the street the next block down. I could not find my husband.

Turned out he had heard shouting and a thud and run outside to find a neighbor (who frankly we choose not to know and who we did not even know had a dog)QUITE drunk and his dog hit by a car in the street. The drunk said "oh well, I don't have any money for a vet so I'll just take the dog home and bury it." Well, since the dog was STILL ALIVE another neighbor "removed" the drunk from the scene and my husband and a passing stranger loaded the dog into the stranger's pickup. My husband then came running in and asked me where to take the dog (the first I knew what was going on.) Perhaps you can imagine the frantic searching through yellow pages (Chicago is a big city -- internet would have taken forever to get up) calling people I know, etc. This is at 6pm on Sunday.

They took the dog to an emergency clinic. My husband had to pay $420 for them to just accept the dog. (He had no idea of its gender, name, anything else -- but what else could he do?)

The vet called back and said $2000 - $5000 to maybe save the dog (three year old male black lab type -- probably intact.) By this time the parents of the drunk had returned home. We left the decision to them although we can guesss what it was. They also wrote my husband a check. (Hope it clears!)

This certainly drives home the importance of having a plan -- if something happened to Edwina in non-office hours -- but does anyone have any suggestions as to something else we could have done? I wasn't there but it didn't sound as if this emergency clinic was terrible sympathetic? (But then who knows how many of these they get??)

BTW the dog's tags weren't even current!!

:mad: :mad:

Logan
12-03-2001, 02:03 PM
All I can do is send many thanks to your kind husband and the stranger and lots of :mad: :mad: :mad: to the stupid neighbors, who didn't take better care of the dogs.

All I know is that in my small town, I know how to get to the emergency vet, etc. But I think you will now know the closest place to go as well. This is very sad, Edwina. :(

purrley
12-03-2001, 02:48 PM
This reminds me of a horrible incident that happened to me about 9 years ago - I will never forget - it haunts me to this day. I was driving home on the freeway when I noticed what I thought were a lot of crazy drivers up ahead - swerving and acting really crazy. Well when I got closer I saw this little white dog trying to avoid cars. I was in the middle lane - had a car on my left and my right and this little dog was in my lane. I hit the poor thing at about 65 miles per hour. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw it spinning in the lane. I pulled over as soon as I could which wasn't till I could get off the freeway at about 100 yards down the road and immediately became violently ill. I threw up over and over and I was so tramatized that my daughter had to come and get me. I needed to be sedated and it was weeks before I could sleep at night. I know this little dog was killed immediately and I will never, never forget - I could have been in a terrible accident. There was no way I could have avoided this poor little soul. I know it wasn't my fault but I will never, never forget about this till the day I die :( :(

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

AdoreMyDogs
12-03-2001, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by purrley:
[QB]This reminds me of a horrible incident that happened to me about 9 years ago - I will never forget - it haunts me to this day. I was driving home on the freeway when I noticed what I thought were a lot of crazy drivers up ahead - swerving and acting really crazy. Well when I got closer I saw this little white dog trying to avoid cars. I was in the middle lane - had a car on my left and my right and this little dog was in my lane. I hit the poor thing at about 65 miles per hour. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw it spinning in the lane. I pulled over as soon as I could which wasn't till I could get off the freeway at about 100 yards down the road and immediately became violently ill. I threw up over and over and I was so tramatized that my daughter had to come and get me. I needed to be sedated and it was weeks before I could sleep at night. I know this little dog was killed immediately and I will never, never forget - I could have been in a terrible accident. There was no way I could have avoided this poor little soul. I know it wasn't my fault but I will never, never forget about this till the day I die :( :( [QUOTE] [QB]

That is SO sad :( It was absolutely not your fault. One way of looking at it is that that little dog was sent to rainbow bridge by someone with love in their hearts, instead of hatrid. Another Pet Talker recentlly had the misfortune of also hitting a dog :(

This past Friday I spent about an hour and 1/2 trying to capture a terrified female dog with a belly full of milk. She would run in a flat out run out into the road which was supposed to be a 25 MPH road, but it's usually driven on at 35 MPH or so. I first tried to catch her but she was so terrified and ran from me, so then I just decided to try to herd her away from the busy, fast moving road and onto the quieter side streets. When she'd run out into traffic despite my attempts I had to cover my eyes and turn away just in case she was hit...I just could not take it. I did have to give up the chase when I noticed my stomach was starting to get really upset...from all the stress I think. The really crummy part (aside from failing to save her) was that when she ran out into traffic a couple of times I ran out with her (when there was a little gap in traffic as a light was red so traffic was slowing down quite a bit, so I wouldn't risk getting hit myself) and I put my hands out on both sides, like a traffic guard while the little dog ran out into the road and some drivers actually honked at me angrly :mad: here I was obviously doing all I could to rescue a terrified, innocent dog and people were mad at me for stopping traffic!!! I assumed they would rather run over a dog with hate in their hearts then have some empothy and let me do my best to rescue her :(

I don't see how she could have lived through her dodging in and out of busy traffic, but I pray the the person that ended up hitting her (assuming she was hit) was a loving person and mourned for that lost soul, as opposed to some of the other jerks who were honking at me for holding up traffic!

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

wolflady
12-03-2001, 03:34 PM
OMG you guys!!! Edwina's, that's just horrible about the irresponsible neighbors, but your husband was so nice to do what he could. I always wonder about that too, if something were to happen to my babies after hours. Being in a big city, it does seem like some vets aren't too empathetic in situations like that.
Purrley **hugs** what a tragic accident!!! It is absolutely horrible to hit an animal, but there was nothing you could do. Adore is right, it's better for a loving person to be the one to send the animal to the rainbow bridge as opposed to some nasty person who could care less. I can only imagine how you felt. I hit an opossum once when I was driving home from college, and I cried all the way home and was traumatized too. But, I realized that there was nothing for me to do as there were cars around me, and it's better to not try and risk swerving since it could cause an accident and possibly hurt other people.
Adore, honey, I can't believe that people honked at you!!! :mad: It's really amazing how there are so many people out there that don't value the lives of animals (heck or people!) or anyone but themselves. Since becoming a 'member' of this group, it's so nice to see that there is so much kindness out there. You're a true sweetheart, but also think about yourself and cutie patootie Graham and keep yourself safe. Being around high traffic areas is a dangerous place to be and you never know what kind of horrible nuts that might be driving on the road!!**hugs**

tatsxxx11
12-03-2001, 04:39 PM
Edwina, please thank your husband (and you too of course) for trying so desperately to help this pup. You gave this guy the best chance. I'm so angry !!! :mad: Drunk, negligent guardians... :mad: And the vet....I know it's naive of me. But, I can't imagine being a vet and turning away a dog in need. :( As a nurse, I can't imagine turning away a patient for lack of funds. It's just instinctive....especially in a trauma/injury situation. HEAL!!!! I too pray that someone loved this labbie boy and is cherishing his memory. Are you sure he is gone??

And Purrley...I think I remember you once, when you first joined Pet Talk, telling that very sad story. How we all felt for you. Being the animal lover that you are, I know how that must have hurt and haunted you.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Karen
12-03-2001, 06:41 PM
Our thoughts will be with you, and we'll be hoping the best for the anonymous labby-boy.

Now, as for what to do in an emergency - years ago, when Hoppy was a baby bunny, she broke her back leg very badly, jumping from too high a place. It was, of course, 11:30 at night, on a Monday. I immediately called her vet, just in case they had an answering service, but that had even better: the vet's answering machine message almost immediately said - if you are calling in an emergency, here is the number of the nearest all-night emergency vet.

I was so glad! We called them, and they gave us good directions, and when we got there, we extraordinarily patient with my "wild" bunny, who not only bit them, but tried to escape! (I don't blame her - it was VERY traumatic for everyone concerned.)

In any case, I would ask your vet, the next time you're there, to do the same - change the answering machine message in off hours to a brief message and a number to contact an emergency vet!

lizbud
12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Edwina,
I think you & your husband did exactly what
you were supposed to do. If fact went beyond
what most would do by getting the dog to an
emergency vet hospital,and EVEN paying out-
of-pocket for them to treat him & check out
the extent of his injuries.
The dog might have been better off not
having an owner for a group like ;
www.labmed.org (http://www.labmed.org) to step in to pay the vet
bills & foster the dog for later adoption.
Don't think they can help unless it's a foster dog or a stray.Please check their
site for later reference.
My local vet also has the phone number &
address of a 24hr emergency hospital on his
office answering machine, just in case.
You & your husband did a very loving & caring thing in trying your very best to
help this poor dog.May God bless you for it.

Angels3
12-04-2001, 01:37 AM
Edwina, I think you & your husband & the helpful stranger are wonderful people who did the right thing by that poor lab.
Other people have already given you very good advice & ideas.
I just wanted to say that it's people like you 3 who make the world a better place to live in.
Marie

AdoreMyDogs
12-04-2001, 07:59 AM
Edwina's: I forgot to tell you how wonderful it was for you and your hubby (and that stranger) to help that dog the best you could...and putting in that amount of money towards the dogs medical bills :eek: VERY noble! I respect you TONS for going above and beyond expatations to help that poor dog.

Thank you for doing that...and thank you husband too. I sure do wish the dog could have had a chance but it sounds like that poor victom is now making friends with all the other animals at Rainbow Bridge :( I sure do wish some people would never get animals, like that drunk who was going to bury his live dog!

purrley
12-04-2001, 08:08 AM
Edwina - I, too, wish to express my thanks to you and your husband for going way out of what most people would do to try and help a helpless baby. Ever since I posted yesterday, I've had my experience going on again over and over in my head. People must think I'm crazy, but even after 9 years that horrible day is alive and well in my heart. Last night every time I closed my eyes I could see that poor little white dog spinning in the middle of the freeway. Nearly every day when I pass that same spot on the way home I remember this over and over again. How it ever got on there to begin with, I'll never know. People who don't take care of their animals will never know how much an experience like this can affect a person for the rest of their life. :(

shais_mom
12-04-2001, 11:50 AM
I applaud you, your husband and the passing stranger.
My mom who doesn't really get overly excited about animals in general, hates to see them hurting. She really is a sweet soul, and wouldn't hurt anything intentionally.
She hit a labby several years ago and was so upset, she sobbed and sobbed. Of course I was confused b/c she doesn't like animals, but she was devasted. And to make matters worse, She called the owners (neighbors) and the said "OH, well that dog cost us $350.00, and we were going to breed him" He was b/n 1-2 years, thank God, mom had the precense of mind not to offer them money, my dad would have had a fit! And she cried even harder. My mom killed him by accident, but they intentionally let him out to run the whole neighborhood. And there son who is to say the least is an a**hole, was heard saying, that he wished it would have totaled her car!!! As stupid as these people were, if they were so concerned about him, they should have had him confined. I would be very worried about them breeding puppies.
Mary Gene, it was an accident, I bet that dog will be waiting for you along with all your beloved pets at the Bridge, simply b/c you have prayed and mourned over him for all these years!

tatsxxx11
12-04-2001, 04:09 PM
Edwina, this is a link to a great org. that lends financial assist. to those in need of emergency care. IMOM-"In Memory of Magic" I have already had success in helping someone else out thorough this organization. Also, LabMed lends financial assit. for medical emergencies for lab and lab mixes as well. www.labmed.org. (http://www.labmed.org.) http://www.imom.org/fa/
Oh, just saw LabMed was already suggested. Both are wonderful organizations. Please let us know.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

jackiesdaisy1935
12-04-2001, 05:58 PM
Edwina, please thank your husband for being so caring and yourself too, some people can't understand this is a living, breathing
animal. I know you all did the best you could in such a bad situation and I applaud you. It's depressing to know there are people out there who still don't care whether an animal lives or dies. Shame on them.
We are lucky, we have a 24 hour emergency hospital at our Vet's office which is only about a 5 or 10 minute drive. It gives me peace of mind.
Jackie

lizbud
12-04-2001, 08:36 PM
Purrley,
Just wanted to let you know that I do
understand how painful it is to dredge up
old but unforgetable experiences. The images
will probably stay with you and surface now
and then...There was absolutely nothing you
could have done to save the little white
dog... Please don't blame yourself for that
horrible accident.You did not cause it &
there was nothing you could have done to
save the dog.If everytime this image comes to mind,you would stop, and say a prayer for all
the poor stray, abandoned, and lost dogs in
this world, you would honor the memory of
of that little dog..and He would understand..

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

purrley
12-05-2001, 07:47 AM
Thank you Lizbud. Everyone is so sweet and understanding. I love you all :) :)

slleipnir
12-05-2001, 08:21 PM
That reminds me, once when a friend and I were sitting outside..we saw a little dog running around the roads..I said to my friend that I was almost sure he'd be hit if someone didn't get her in. The owners off to the side with a pityful call for it to come back (like they didn't care at all) and sure enough we heard a yelp. So me and my friend ran down to see if it was ok, and the owners completely ignored us..(they were talking to the lady who hit the dog..like nothing happened!) the dog was in pain and they were sitting there talking about like..nothing! anyway..i happened to be working (somewhat..) at the vet clinic..so when i went in the next day and asked if the dog had come in..the vet said I just missed it being put to sleep. it was taken in an hr after it was hit! the poor thing :(

Edwina's Secretary
12-06-2001, 08:28 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I must admit I am very proud of my husband.

Purrley... I am sory to have dredged up such a painful memory.

They could not afford to help the dog. Hard as it is to say I would not have wanted to see that or any other dog living there. We have lived across the street from them for three years. They have a SMALL fenced backyard and we did not know they had a dog! Never saw anyone walking the dog, never saw the kids (yes, there are kids living there -- extended family!) playing with the dog...none of the things you would normally see. I know all my other neighbors' dogs by name. However, I do know the brand of beer the two grown sons drink!

We now take Edwina to a Cat Clinic but we had called her former vet hoping there would be a message referring us to an emergency vet. Probably should have called the cat clinic too but I was just thinking "dog" at that moment.

I wish I at least knew the dog's name so I could pray for him but I will NOT stike up a conversation with those neighbors to find out (I'm not fond of beer!)