Critter Haven Jr. Youth Coordinator

In the cold dark prison he cries
      As his little sister dies.
      She is the last of his kin,
      One by one they got so thin.

And now he feels so weak today...
      The man who feeds them walked away.
      "This one can't eat...it's too weak"
      And despite that no kind words did he speak.

So slowly he is wasting away,
      Sitting in his prison every day.
      Where is this horrible, horrible place?
      Some faraway country? what a disgrace!

And who are these people locked away tight?
      With no food or water and no strength to fight?
      People? It happens to the least of our kind
      They can't talk or fight, all they have is their mind.

And the places, where many are locked away still
      It's right in your country - it's a puppymill.

Permission to reprint -
Please include author's name and
affiliation and Copyright insignia.
        Stop the Horror of Puppymills
         http://www.critterhaven.org

We have some of these places in Oz, too. They're called 'Puppy Farms' here. Our state, Qeensland, passed laws only yesterday that are going to make it easier for the animal welfare authorities to hunt out places like that & close them down. These laws will also make it more difficult for the puppyfarmers to set up in the first place.

delidog
08-01-2001, 05:12 AM
though that poem brings tears to my eyes...it is most valid...and i believe the only way to stop these mills is to raise awareness...thank you...the deli dog :eek:

Eudora
08-01-2001, 09:22 AM
Oh no... i didn't even know such things existed... how could this happen?? Why would people refuse to feed a hungry dog? Why would anyone deliberately do that? Is there anything I can do to get these kind of places to close down?

Daisy's Mom
08-02-2001, 12:14 AM
Sickening... just sickening.

Angels3
08-02-2001, 07:31 AM
Eudora, there are some places which raise lots of puppies to be sold in petshops or exported to other countries. Sometimes not much care is given to the animals because the main aim is to profit by making money. In those cases, conditions & vet care for the dogs & puppies may be very poor. These places are called puppymills in the US & puppy farms in Australia. Animal welfare authorities try to track down the places that don't care for their animals & rescue the poor things. So it's important to have laws that allow the authorities to do this.
Pet lovers can help by asking to see where puppies they are buying in petshops have been born & raised.