PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Kitty <grin>

Sirrahsim
11-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Hey everyone, I was asked a few days ago to tell about my life in Japan and Boomer must have read that because he offered me inspiration tonight:rolleyes: :D My husband and I got some local food for lunch today and accidently grabbed an extra pair of chopsticks. Boomer, who has firmly established himself as a member of this household, assumed that the extra set of chopsticks was for him. So, while I was preoccupied watching TV, he snuck up and snatched the extra (clean) pair and carried them off. :D http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p703441a925747c13212962dd6d7f6550/fa838600.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p78d87bd57f39bf7a2e868b7f76a12dbf/fa8385f2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p0d8155109bf3856d1bcc574192fea4ac/fa8385f4.jpg
This last one looks like he's trying to figure out how to use them:rolleyes: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p5a1cedb96692ac32474ac278a8060a58/fa8385fc.jpg

It is an adventure everyday living over here. Yes, my hunny is in the military. We are stationed here for the next few years and I absolutely love it. The biggest thing I have noticed is how polite everyone is! If I bump into someone here, the person bows gracefully and grins. If I were to bump into someone back in the states I have a feeling all I'd recieve would be a dirty look. I have noticed that since moving here I have taken to the habit of bowing my head alot, not long after moving here I was already catching myself doing that not just to a Japanese national, but also to my husband or friends:rolleyes: The language is very difficult and so far I only have a very small vocabulary.."Where is the bus station" "How much is this?" "Is there a western toilet here?" That sort of thing:D As well as please and thank you and all that "Domo Arrigato, Mr Roboto..." My husband and I have ventured off base many times now as far away as a little past the city of Tokyo. It gets difficult when we get out into the rural areas and away from our base because so many signs are only written in kanji (the character writing you usually think of when you hear Japanese) Needless to say, we've gotten lost a time or two :rolleyes: Anyway, sorry to bore you all. Enough about me:D

11-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Don't apologize, you're not boring at all!! I love to hear from people who go and live in a foreign country for a few years! We used to live for 2 years in the USA. What an adventure that was!!

Enjoy your Japanese life! And send us many more pics of your gorgeous cat!:) :)

Uabassoon
11-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Boomer looks so cute trying to figure out how to use the chopsticks.

Barbara
11-20-2003, 03:43 AM
AAAwww Boomer. To talk about "When you're in Rome..."

I have been learning Japanese for 3 years 10 years ago just because I was interested in the culture. But I can't say much more than "Hajime mashite, Renarutsu desu (can you figure out what my family name could be after that transcription :D) dozo yoroshiku onegai shimasu.":D

sirrahbed
11-20-2003, 07:48 AM
That last pic really DOES look like Boomer has the hang of using chopsticks!! Cute :D

sirrahved
11-20-2003, 08:22 AM
I don't even think you are boring, and you are my sister :p Thanks so much for sharing. Boomer is definitely into the culture!

amoore
11-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Boomer is so cute ! I love the pictures !
Japan sounds wonderful !
I want to move there ! :)

catlover4ever
11-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Boomer looks like he has settled into Japenese life pretty well. He has already mastered the chopsticks. Thank you for sharing a bit about your life over in Japan. Hearing about life in another country has always fascinated me. I went to an all womens college in Mass and we had a lot of international students. Most of them were from Japan and I always found it interesting to listen to what their lives, homes, traditions etc were like. Thanks again for sharing.

catmandu
11-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Ah So, boomer is handy with chop Sticks. maybe he will want Chop Suey , next!

kitten645
11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but did you bring Boomer from the States? I'm thinking of moving to the Uk and I know until recently it's been a big issue about moving animals there due to rabies fears and it being an island and such. Japan is obviously an island and I wondered how it is viewed there?:confused:

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Boomer handles those chopsticks better than I've ever been able to do!

It is a challenge when in a country that uses a different alphabet. When I went to Greece I understood the expression "It's greek to me!" You can't hand the taxi driver the tour guide you are using and point to the name of the restaurant or hotel nor can you match the words to any signs!

jenluckenbach
11-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Boomer is using chop sticks better than I can. ;)

But I MUST ask.....what is

"Is there a western toilet here?"

I mean, are there different kinds??????

Prairie Purrs
11-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Boomer must think that if he learns how to use the chopsticks, you'll take him along to the sushi bar! :D

Miss Meow
11-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Boomer is using chop sticks better than I can. ;)

But I MUST ask.....what is

I mean, are there different kinds??????

Jen, the Japanese have toilet technology down to a fine art! Some models even blow warm air around the posterior area so you leave feeling fresh!!! The only problem is that the symbols and buttons are so complex that you need an aerospace degree to work 'em out ;)

RICHARD
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Ah...

ALL the toilets are western in Japan....Unless you 'head' East....:rolleyes:

sirrahved
11-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
When I went to Greece I understood the expression "It's greek to me!"

Do what I did and marry a guy that knows greek!:D

Sirrahsim
11-20-2003, 06:10 PM
kitten, I adopted Boomer from another military family who adopted him from the center here on the base, so I'm not honestly sure how he entered the country. I think he was born here but I could be wrong.
Jen, when I have been out and about off base I have visited many a bathroom and more often than not, all they have are "squaty potties" they are built into the ground for men and women alike and look like a flat urinal laying on its back. You just put a foot on either side and squat to do your business. (sorry, that sounds gross, but it's true) I went to DisneyWorld this summer and went to 3 bathrooms before I found one with an actual toilet:eek: another little bit of trivia, most bathrooms (at least as far as I've seen and heard) don't have paper towels or anything to dry your hands on, so most people bring their own handkercheifs when they go out.
Hehe Barbara, I live here and I don't even now what all that means:eek: :eek: No master of Japanese am I :D

CatDad
11-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the picture of Boomer pics. I expect more when he masters them.:) I agree that he probably thinks that if he masters them you will take him out for sushi. He would probably like the sashimi most.

Also thanks it is always interesting to hear about people living in other coutries and how they like it.:)

catland
11-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Boomer looks so cute using those chopsticks.

I think it is GREAT that you are making an effort to learn the language and customs and are getting out to see the country. Too often the families of US troops stick together on the base instead of getting out.

Sirrahsim
11-20-2003, 06:30 PM
catland, How could I not? I don't know of any other time in my life when I'll get to travel to such a beautiful place as this! Before we leave here, my hunny and I even plan on climbing Mt. Fuji!

catcrazylady
11-20-2003, 09:54 PM
What a cool experience to live in Japan! My ex was in the military for awhile and I lived in Germany for 3 years. We traveled to many European countries while we were there and it is an experience that I am so glad I had. The one thing that seems the same in Asia as well as Europe is the toilet issue! Some things are just really different from the USA and bathrooms were always the hot topic at military gatherings!!!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Enjoy your time because you will recall these memories many times in the future.

Boomer you are just too cute for words!! You handle those chop sticks better than me! http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

jazzcat
11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Cute pics of Boomer. The last one makes me think of a drummer in a rock band.

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Great pics.:D Boomer sure is good at using those chopsticks. Enjoy your stay in Japan.:)

Killearn Kitties
11-21-2003, 03:03 AM
What excellent pictures of your beautiful Bloomer! We really need some more.:D

Catsnclay
11-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I visited Japan several years ago and was also surprised how many polite people there were. Even if they didn't understand English they went out of their way to try to help us! The hotel we stayed in (in Toyoko) had "western" toliets, but I sure was shocked when I saw the ladies room over there. It is just a hole in the ground that you squat over, no doors or privacy, either. It sure takes some interesting manuvering when you have hip problems and really need to go!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Enjoy your stay over there, take plenty of pictures and buy lots of things! Also go to as many places you possibly can.....it is a very beautiful country. I sure wish I could go back!!