PDA

View Full Version : Guess it's been weighing on me more than I thought

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Results first, then the background. Got a call from the Doctor's office today at about 4:55 pm, I was just getting ready to walk out the door and almost didn't answer the phone. Glad I did because they wanted to let me know the results of the skinny needle biobsy. The lump is benign (? non-cancerous) and we won't be doing surgery! Whew!!!

Ok, the background - about 1 1/2 years ago we discovered I had a lump on my thyroid gland. I've been seeing a thyroid doctor ever since. He's had me on medication for hypo-thyroidism which is supposed to make the lump shrink. Well, after giving the medicine months and months to work, we finally did another ultra sound to see what condition the lump was in. I thought it had grown because I can see it in my throat when I swallow, and I could tell it hadn't gotten any smaller. So when they did the ultra sound, they found that it had, in fact, grown in size, by about a centimeter or so, which doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're talking about a lump in your throat, it's a lot!

So when they saw that it had grown instead of shrinking like it was supposed to, they decided to do a skinny needle biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancerous. So basically all they did was give me a local anesthetic (sp?) and he stuck this needle in my throat 4 times :eek: :eek: each time taking a little bit out so they could test it. Normally this lump doesn't hurt or doesn't bother me in anyway, but after it "unthawed" it bothered me the rest of the day and gave me a headache besides.

I guess this was all bothering me more than I thought, because now that I got the call that it's not cancerous and they don't have to take it out, I'm so relieved. I expected them to take it out even if it wasn't cancer, but the doc says it's a really complicated surgery because there's a lot going on in your throat. He said if it was, say, on my arm, or some place like that, it'd be no problem and it would have been gone months ago, but since it's in such a delicate location, they don't do surgery unless it's necessary - whew!

So, sorry for being so long, but it's really like a weight off my shoulders so I thought I'd share. :)

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm so glad to hear it isn't cancerous! What a relief! :) Great news!

Miss Meow
11-19-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm so glad it's good news! It doesn't matter if the doctor thinks it'll be ok, you just never know for sure until you get the results :)

micki76
11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
It's always a relief to get good news from a doctor. I had my first mammogram last month and was recalled in for another mammogram and a sonogram. I played it off as no big deal, but when they told me I only had benign cists, I floated out of there on cloud nine.

Glad you're a-ok. :D

CatDad
11-19-2003, 09:39 PM
I am very happy to hear that the lump is not cancerous.:)

I am also happy to hear that you do not have to have surgery and that they will continue to try other means.:)

gini
11-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Good heavens, I would imagine it was REALLY weighing on your mind. Funny how we sort of "stuff" things if we are worried. too many other things in life to deal with so you just "stuff it".

I too was called in for a second mammogram. This had never happened before so I was worried. But when I talked to my girlfriends I discovered that almost all of them had been called in for a second mammogram. And it had frightened all of us. Our only conclusion is that it is an "insurance thing."

Now when I go in I ask them to take enough pictures so that I will not have to return for a second one.

Needless to say, I am sure you have sighed a huge sigh of relief and I am glad that you shared it with all of us. Just know that if you had shared it initially, all of us women would have been there for you and hopefully could have comforted you.

Hip Hip Hooray for such good results!

slick
11-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Debbie: don't you know that the minute something is bothering you, you should come to us for prayers and support??

I'm soooo glad to hear the good news. Please, please keep us updated. We care about you.

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Debbie, I'm so glad that you're okay and won't need any surgery either. :)

Barbara
11-20-2003, 04:22 AM
I am so glad to hear that.
It's often like that -you know how to manage it while you are waiting but after the result turns out, you really feel how heavy it weighed.

Me too I had these periods in which I had to wait for a result which up to now always turned out negative, which, in real life, is positive:D

lynnestankard
11-20-2003, 04:42 AM
{{{{Debbie}}}}

I'm just so pleased for you - that's been an awful lot of worry to be carting round with you!!
I know the operation involved because my sister had it many, many years ago.
Are they going to treat it by other means - or just leave it alone?
Whatever, I'm just so pleased you got a good result.:)

Lynne

RobiLee
11-20-2003, 05:41 AM
I'm so happy that you got good news!! What a relief! I know how hard it is to wait for those test results and what a huge weight is lifted when it all comes back OK. The needle biopsy does not sound very pleasant and I'm sorry you were in pain afterwards. Its all for the best though. Now you can relax and have some peace of mind. Does the lump bother you at all or is it just something that is there? I'm glad that you won't have to have surgery.

Big Hugs For You.....Robin :)

auggie
11-20-2003, 05:57 AM
I’ve had the surgery and I wish my doctor would have giving me the skinny needle biopsy instead. He never gave me an option.
Mine was benign as well as it is in most cases.
T&P’s mom, I wish you would have said something because I think I could have eased your mind.
I’ve done a lot of research after the fact.

Randi
11-20-2003, 06:12 AM
Oh Debbie, what a relief it is to hear it's not cancer. I'm SO very happy for you! :) It must have been hard on you to wait for the result. I hope it dissapears by itself and it doesn't bother you.

Hugs from us and purrs from Fister. :)

Karen
11-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Whew! So glad! Nice there's good news, silly goose, you should have let us know it was bothering you - or did you not admit it to youself? ;)

joycenalex
11-20-2003, 07:17 AM
quote....I too was called in for a second mammogram. This had never happened before so I was worried. But when I talked to my girlfriends I discovered that almost all of them had been called in for a second mammogram. And it had frightened all of us. Our only conclusion is that it is an "insurance thing."

Now when I go in I ask them to take enough pictures so that I will not have to return for a second one.

um, actually it's not directly an "insurance thing". i'm a mammographer, the person who does the mammogram films. many things happen outside of the mammo room that the patient doesn't see. last night, at 6 pm, my last patient, a woman came in for a routine screening study, she had no idea when or where her last mammogram was done, she knew she had it done at a "white building on the west side", she's not sure if her new doctor has her old records, but she described to me, what sounded like a biopsy. sure enough there's some tissue variance between her breasts. this morning when i get in, i'll spend at least 1/2 to an hour trying to track down her old films for the radiologist (the doctor who reads and interperts the mammo and xray films) for comparision. without those films, i'm betting one starbucks grande latte she'll be called back for additional views and or an ultrasound on this area and possibly another biopsy. at 6:20 pm, her doctors' office is closed, so i can't call there to have them pull her chart, so we can find her old films, i have no idea where that white building is, and i have a sinking feeling about this. IF her doctors' staff had told her to bring her old films or had them sent to us, she could have walked with her diagnosis last night. IF she knew where her last study was done i could have faxed them a release last night, and she could have had her results next monday. this happens a surprising number of times in my work day.
when the radiologist reviews the mammo films, they look at this years and at least the last two years(if you have them) and looks for subtle grain of sand sized changes in the breast tissue, {those are micro calcifications or calcifications, one of the calling cards of very small cancers.} i would rather by far be called back, have extra views done and told it's not a problem, rather them have a very small cancer not diagnosed when it's easily treated and less likely to have spread.
my doctors will do a reading on the spot IF the patient asks when they make their appointment. it can also be arrainged to have a second radiologist do a second read, again IF the patient asks.
i hope this helps explain some of the reasons for call backs. :)

anna_66
11-20-2003, 08:25 AM
I'm glad to hear that it was benign! That must have been a big relief off your shoulders!

HayleyRosie
11-20-2003, 08:32 AM
That is great news. I'm so happy for you.

Cinder & Smoke
11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey God ~

Thanks!! ;)

/s/ the P-Pups

{{{Hugs}}} Deb!

gini
11-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Joyce, thank you for your explanation. Obviously I went back immediately for the second mammogram and got a clean bill of health. But, I had to pay for the second mammogram as my insurance (even though excellent coverage and expensive) would not pay for it.

In comparing notes with my friends and I guess I am talking about six women - all of us returned for a second mammogram, all of us had to pay for it and all of us received a clean bill of health. That is why we concluded that it was a way for the office (and we are talking about six different firms) to be paid more than the piddly amount the insurance allows for mammograms.

That said, it still is nothing to fool around with or ignore. All of us know about breast cancer and how serious it is.

Also, bless you for taking the time and care with your patient.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by slick
Debbie: don't you know that the minute something is bothering you, you should come to us for prayers and support??

Thanks so much everybody! I know what a wonderful group this is, and I would have come to you before, but I had no idea it was bothering me as much as it evidently was. I think like Gini said, I just sort of "stuffed" it in the back of my mind. The only thing I was thinking was that if I had to have surgery, that would give me some time off work and I'd be able to spend all day on PT - guilt free! ;) :D

But it's true, you just go through your daily routine and try not to think about it. I think it's kind of like when something dangerous happens - say you run in front of a bus to pull a child out of its way, then you both collapse on the sidewalk. While it was going on all you could think about was the task at hand, and the full reality of how you could have been killed doesn't hit you until it's all over.

The doc upped my dosage of the thyroid medicine and I also found out that I'm taking my calcium supplement too close to the time that I take the thyroid medication. Seems the thyroid stuff binds real easy to just about everything else, so you have to take it all by itself, at least 1/2 hour before eating or drinkin anything else, and calcium supplements should not be taken within 4 hours of taking the thyroid meds. I was taking them anywhere from 1 to 1/2 hours afterwards. So hopefully by not taking the calcium supplement, more of the throid medicine will get in my system and do its thing.

And the lump is on the right side of my throat. If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't be able to see it, but since I know it's there....it's sort of like an adam's apple on the side and little lower than a real adam's apple and it "bobs" when I swallow. Doesn't hurt, doesn't do anything, it's just there.

So I'll just continue on with the meds and be rechecked in 6 months. From what I understand, they'll just keep checking it and if and when it becomes a problem, then they'll decide on the surgery. So for now - I'm free! ;) :D

Thanks again everybody, your support really means a lot. :) Hugs to you all. :D

ramanth
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm so relieved to hear it's good news and not cancerous!

*HUGS*

ChrisH
11-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Debbie, really good news, I am so happy for you.

Big hugs
Chris

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Debbie....glad to hear about your positive outcome! What a relief!

joycenalex
11-20-2003, 05:58 PM
WHAT!!! bogus!!! here in ohio, if you are called back for additional views as requested by a radiologist, they are to be covered by the insurance. period. can you appeal this decision to the insurance company and if needs be to the state regulation body that covers insurance issues. that is just plain bad business and raising h#$% over that decision is the only way to change that. also letting your employer know how inadquate the insurance they co buy with you via a letter is good too. that insurance company is subverting the medical opinion of a physician and that should not be tolerated. [QUOTE]
Obviously I went back immediately for the second mammogram and got a clean bill of health. But, I had to pay for the second mammogram as my insurance (even though excellent coverage and expensive) would not pay for it......

Steffi N
11-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Debbie, I am glad the results of your biopsy were good. Here's hoping that with the dosing change the medication will work better.
Tubby and Peanut, lets have some purrs for your mommy.

Corinna
11-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Congrats on non surgery We know all about the fine needle asperations here. Hubby had a lump come up in the same surgery feild that they took the cancer out of 6 years ago (new lump last spring) When the doc started to gather the cells Hubby about belted him one . Turns out it wasn't a new tumor but a neroma . It is a lump formed when the nerve endings bind to gether after the salavry gland is rmoved. Most times they reattach flat but his gathered up to each other. can become canerous over time so a day surgery recut and stitched them down. Hubby says fine needle bulls--- quite a statment from a non swearing man.
Glad to hear that your fine. I suffer from thryod conditons so I understand.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks again everyone. T & P have been a great comfort - as usual. Tubby is always my purr baby and loves laying on me and purring away as I pet him - great therapy. :D And Peanut has been overly affectionate since her Daddy had a trade show at McCormick place and has been especially busy this week - and away from home. So she's deprived of his attentions - so she comes to me :rolleyes: but rather than minding, I love the extra attention from her. :D

I'm surprised that the lump is still sore from being poked so many times. Hurts when I sneeze. But I'm sure it's just healing and will be fine. :D

amoore
11-21-2003, 10:28 AM
so glad you are going to be ok . I know it was hard to go through the waiting . I have been there but i had lazer surgery on my throat . when I ask was it cancer they said it was in the gray area . that was in 1997 . so far Im doing well .
I do know that It was a fear I went through,that Ill never forget .

Killearn Kitties
11-21-2003, 11:48 AM
originally posted by Barbara
It's often like that -you know how to manage it while you are waiting but after the result turns out, you really feel how heavy it weighed.
This is so true, you push these things to the back of your mind, just to be able to carry on, don't you? I'm so happy for you that the results were good.

AmberLee
11-21-2003, 10:21 PM
{{{Debbie}}}

Whoa! Somehow I missed this thread till now. What a relief for you. It is amazing sometimes you don't realize how worried you are until something is over. {{{hugs again}}}

From the info you give, it sounds like I'm taking my thyroid medicine wrong. Note to myself to talk to my doctor about that next visit.

Joyce, thank you for the clarification about what goes on behind the scene following a mammogram. Very enlightening.