PDA

View Full Version : Lady is HW positive & needs your prayers! *PIC*

Kater
11-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Lady, a tricolor BC is pictured below.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pfeef71405bc12f793063aac6e69024a0/fa846a17.jpg

My friend Laura of 2nd Chance Border Collie Rescue of Wisconsin (http://www.2ndchance-bordercollierescue.com/) has fallen in love with her and will be fostering her. This weekend Lady needs to be transported from Kenosha, WI to Laura's home 15 minutes outside of Madison, WI. I'm hoping that a friend and I will be able to assist in this transport! If I can help it will be my very first transport!!! :D I would really enjoy spending a whole 4 hours with a doggie! :p

Lady is, unfortunately, heartworm positive. :( I know heartworm treatments are both painful and expensive. I am praying that Laura will be able to pull together the resources needed to afford treatment and I am hoping that poor Lady will not be too uncomfortable. I am going to try to help Laura come up with the money in any way I can.

I am asking that you hold both Lady and Laura in your prayers tonight.

Please also pray for Jake--- one of Laura's fosters who has been with her for over 6 months. I'm hoping I will get to see him again if I help transport Lady. (more on Jake: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=470739)

Here's Jake: (If I get to see him again I'll try to get a better picture!)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p1957ef65f9ab876cb49eafa66ac95c73/fa84639f.jpg

~~UPPIE DATE~~
I just found out that Lady is coming all the way from Arkansas to her new foster home!!! W:eek:WIEEEEE!

petlover
11-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Ya'll are DEFINATELY in my prayers!:) I will be sure to make it very clear in my prayer so that God will make sure to watch over ya'll. Oh GOOD LUCK!!! And what beautiful dogs!!!:) I will also mention that little Lady gets over her HW. And QUICK!

Good LUCK!!!!!!:D

veegan
11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
:'( oh no! I havent ever known a dog with heartworm (I dont think dogs get it around here) so I really dont know anything about it. thats scary! :( well I will be sending good thoughts their way, and thank you to Laura for taking her in!!! :( take pics if you can and if you are able to help in transport! how fun :) and what a doll jake is! (those pics in the other thread fhskdfsdh; <3!!!)

good luck little lady! :( <3

Kater
11-19-2003, 09:30 PM
It doesn't look like my friend and I will be able to help with the transport. :( However, I'm going to do my best to find someone who can! :D

veegan
11-20-2003, 02:18 PM
:'( well, good luck!

tatsxxx11
11-20-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry you and your friend won't be able to help in the transport Kater...maybe next time:) And I will certainly be keeping Laura and precious Lady in my prayers. Heartworm treatment is tough, but most dogs come through just fine. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery, sweet Lady!:) All paws crossed!! Jake, what a cutie you are. Positive thoughts coming your way too, sweet boy!!:)

Shelteez2
11-20-2003, 07:14 PM
I knew some people on another board that have gone through heartworm treatment with foster dogs, so I asked them for any tips/advice for your friend. This is what they had to say:

1)"Well, with other breeds, some vets will recommend for a light positive you keep them on Heartgard for a year or two, til they test negative, rather than put them through the treatment. Border collies can't take Heartgard though, and I've not heard of vets recommending any other preventatives for that.

There is a treatment called WormFree that is all natural (but doesn't contain wormwood), and is supposed to be a lot more gentle than the traditional treatment. www.ambertech.com is the website, I think. I have some but haven't had a HW positive dog to use as a guinnea pig. It's cheap, and made by the makers of Parvaid (which does work). I'm not personally endorsing it since I don't know anyone personally who's tried it. Just a possibility.

If the dog is young and healthy, treatment will probably go very easily. It's crucial to keep her still, which will probably be a challenge with a border collie. A crate is a necessary tool.

My doberman-who was my husband's before we got married-was treated for HW. He didn't feel good for a few weeks but he was fine. I had one foster, an older, out of shape sheltie, we treated. He didn't make it. So I guess my experiences are the two extremes."

2)"My current foster recently underwent heartworm treatments while in my care. It sucks. But then, I don't do particularly well when they hurt and don't feel good. Keeping them quiet really is key. Jada was well into her treatment, had already had the final (oral) dose, and I thought we were pretty well out of the woods. I took her for a walk, about 2 miles, and she thru an embolis (sp?) when we got home. I thought we were going to lose her. I won't make that mistake again."

Kater
11-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the helpful insights and information, Shelteez! I will pass it on to Lady's foster momma! :D
I'm not sure about the severity of the worms but it sounds as though she will be going through treatment. :(
Keeping a border collie still--- now that sounds like a challenge!!! :eek: