PDA

View Full Version : Teflon pans

wolfsoul
11-19-2003, 03:42 PM
I read a website a while back, and I know that some people on here use teflon pans.

I don't know how legit this is because I read it only once and I still have to research it a little bit more, but apparently teflon pans are made of something that, when used, travels through the air and can kill animals. I remember that it said birds for sure, but there was another animal that I can't remember. I think it may be cats.

Can anyone come up with any links?

wolfsoul
11-19-2003, 03:44 PM
I foudn a link! Here : http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/part8.php

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah, the risk of using teflon coated things in a home with birds is something every bird owner should be aware of. Its very dangerous, when over-heated, and can kill a bird within seconds. They say it may be bad for humans too........but obviously no where near as bad it is for birds and other small animals.

We normally use stainless steal cookware, but when we use non-stick, birdies go as far from the kitchen as possible, in a room with the door closed and windows open. I know its deadly when *over-heated*, which they say is over 500 degrees F, but even at lower temperatures, its better to be safe than sorry.

Freckles
11-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Self cleaning ovens are extremely harmful to birds.

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Self cleaning ovens are extremely harmful to birds.

Yep that too. That's actually a far greater risk than teflon. Figures why we almost never self-clean the oven. :p We find other safer ways to clean it.

I think the fumes released from self-cleaning ovens when self cleaning are bad for us too, because when my mom used to self clean the oven, I would feel so dizzy and nauseated from the nasty fumes. I wish they wouldn't make such harmful things. :(

Cookiebaker
11-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Teflon pans can be deadly to birds!!!! Back at home, I had a friend who bred cockatiels. Her son was ill home with the flu, turned the wrong burner on and left it until it was too late. It killed her entire flock. :(:(:( I do have 2 teflon pans, but very rarely use them (only for eggs) and am sooooo precautious with them.

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Teflon pans can be deadly to birds!!!! Back at home, I had a friend who bred cockatiels. Her son was ill home with the flu, turned the wrong burner on and left it until it was too late. It killed her entire flock. :(:(:( I do have 2 teflon pans, but very rarely use them (only for eggs) and am sooooo precautious with them.

That's so sad. :(:(

On the cockatiel board I go to, there's this one member who had 4 cockatiels. Someone gave her a toaster oven as a gift. She had no idea it was coated with teflon. She plugged it in, and within seconds, all 4 of her babies were gone. :( She was so devastated she never returned to the board.

Its something us bird owners must be VERY cautious about. We do use a sandwich maker, that is non-stick, but it doesn't heat to high temperatures. Still, when we use that or one of our few nonstick pans, the birds go as far from the kitchen as possible. The most unfortunate thing is so many bird owners are unaware of this until its too late. I think its wrong on the manufacturer's part not to put warnings. One in every 10 homes in the US has companion birds, so they are VERY common pets, and in my opinion, anything coated with teflon SHOULD have a warning on it, just as chemicals have warnings against using them around kids and pets.

My mom always gets tempted to buy these nice new nonstick ware available in the market. I never let her though! :D He he he

Miss Meow
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
I've also read about research that indicates teflon-coated pans can be harmful to people too. It didn't seem to be anything conclusive, but if you have a teflon pan that's starting to crack, throw it out so you don't digest any of the teflon.

trayi52
11-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Poppy, I heard it was harmful to people but I never dreamed it coudl be so deadly for cockateils. I am glad somebody decided to start this thread, I would never have known that. Thanks for the info.

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Poppy, I heard it was harmful to people but I never dreamed it coudl be so deadly for cockateils. I am glad somebody decided to start this thread, I would never have known that. Thanks for the info.

Exactly what I meant by bird owners not knowing. :p He he. I didn't know when we got the birds either. I found out after we brought them home and got books on birds..........and I started reading about them on the net more. I was shocked..........and told my mom, *You have to throw these pans out of the house!* :eek: She didn't...........but I made her stop using them. :D

She loves the birdies much more than the pans, and now that she knows, she doesn't use them any more. *When* she does, which is rare, we take precautions and the birds go far far away from the kitchen, upstairs, locked in my room with the windows open. :)