PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina woman on trial for the death of 4 year old stepson

moosmom
11-19-2003, 11:46 AM
I've been watching Court TV. Sandra Odom, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter and child abuse, is on trial for the pool death of her 4 year-old twin stepson. This is the second trial for Odom, whose first trial ended in a hung jury.

The defense is saying that the boy suffered from "water intoxication", due to ingesting a large amount of water.

She is the mother of 7 children. As I watched her testimony, she first told investigators that she never left the pool, where the two 4 year-old twins had been swimming. Later on, after investigators said she would not get her children back, she supposedly changed her story, telling them that she DID go into the house, leaving the 2 kids in the pool alone for a brief moment. She said she told them what she wanted to hear in an effort to get her children back.

I'm on the fence on this one and want to know you're opinion. She was given a plea bargain which assured her that (she was pregnant at the time) she would not give birth to her child in prison, which she refused, saying she would not admit to something she didn't do.

Part of me, after watching her body language, says she's guilty and is putting on a good act. Another part of me is saying that this is just a horrible tragedy.